• 83 results
#1 Posted by heatDrive88 (2170 posts) -
#2 Posted by heatDrive88 (2170 posts) -

Need to settle this once and for all. I keep hearing people say it both ways and I just don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced anymore. Mult-EYE-player sounds right, but I hear people saying the other.

#3 Posted by mrcool11 (466 posts) -

mult-ah-player
#4 Posted by Gabriel (4050 posts) -

Mut-eye-player sounds more proper.

#5 Posted by armaan8014 (5253 posts) -

mult -eee

damn poll's at 50 - 50%

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (34588 posts) -

Well, it comes from the Latin word multi, which has given us multiply, multiple, and other such words. Therefore, I propose that it be pronounced "mult-ih-player."

#7 Edited by heatDrive88 (2170 posts) -
@Gabriel said:

" Mut-eye-player sounds more proper. "

That's what I thought, but on second thought, I should have added a 3rd selection to the poll for "mult-IH-player", similar to the way you would say "multiple". Then again, maybe I should look up how you should officially say "multiple" to begin with...
#8 Posted by yinstarrunner (1170 posts) -

My phonetic senses are telling me that mult-EE-player is the correct pronounciation.

However, this thread has made me realize that I actually pronounce it BOTH ways interchangeably.  FUCK.

#9 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4493 posts) -

Mult-eh-pleur, from the French word for "clusterfuck".

#10 Edited by Tebbit (4435 posts) -
#11 Posted by ReyGitano (2465 posts) -

I tend to use both. I just go with whatever feels better in the current sentence. 
For example, If I've already said eye or tea in a sentence, then I'll use the other sound when I say multiplayer.

#12 Posted by Palaeomerus (344 posts) -

I've only ever hear mult-eye with multimillionaire or mult-eye purpose and even then I've still heard mul-tee millionaire and mul-tee purpose a lot more.

#13 Posted by EVO (3778 posts) -

It's mult-e-player. Anyone that thinks otherwise is an ass.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -
@EVO said:
" It's mult-e-player. Anyone that thinks otherwise is an ass. "
I dunno, multi-eye sounds better when you're british :P
#15 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

I assumed top choice was American pronunciation and the second was British.

#16 Posted by Kierkegaard (556 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Well, it comes from the Latin word multi, which has given us multiply, multiple, and other such words. Therefore, I propose that it be pronounced "mult-ih-player." "
Yes, but in Latin "multi" would be pronounced mul-tee, so it would be pronounced mul-tee-player. The "ih" sound is due to our lazy phonetics that replace far too many sounds with easier variations of "uh." 

Or, at least, that's what my 4-years-ago linguistics class  and 5 years ago Latin class are making me think at the moment. 
#17 Posted by EVO (3778 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @EVO said:
" It's mult-e-player. Anyone that thinks otherwise is an ass. "
I dunno, multi-eye sounds better when you're british :P "
Exactly. British people are assholes.
#18 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -
@yinstarrunner said:
" However, this thread has made me realize that I actually pronounce it BOTH ways interchangeably.  FUCK. "
^
#19 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

It's supposed to be the first. But I do catch myself saying "mult-eh-player".

#20 Edited by jkz (3955 posts) -

Mult-ee-player. 

Both are fine, but I favour the second. In fact, I think both pronunciations could be seen as correct, at least colloquially.

Of course, if you were to look at it merely as the prefix "multi" placed before the word player, then it would be pronounced   /ˈmʌlti/, or mult-ee, making the first pronunciation correct.

#21 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1177 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Well, it comes from the Latin word multi, which has given us multiply, multiple, and other such words. Therefore, I propose that it be pronounced "mult-ih-player." "
I believe this is the correct answer
#22 Posted by Fratteker (26 posts) -

Lelu Dallas mult-EE-pass.

#23 Posted by DukesT3 (1853 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
this. 
#24 Posted by Kierkegaard (556 posts) -
@SleepyDoughnut said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
I believe this is the correct answer "
But multiplayer isn't like those words. They add a suffix to multi, changing the middle syllable. Mutliplayer is like, as mentioned on the other page, multimillionaire, multifaceted, and multitalented, all of which use "mul-tee." So, it's multeeplayer. 
#25 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -

I say both, so idc

#26 Posted by Gerhabio (1969 posts) -

You're all fucking crazy, it's definitely mult-EYE-player!

#27 Posted by Kazona (3055 posts) -
@Kierkegaard said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
Yes, but in Latin "multi" would be pronounced mul-tee, so it would be pronounced mul-tee-player. The "ih" sound is due to our lazy phonetics that replace far too many sounds with easier variations of "uh."  Or, at least, that's what my 4-years-ago linguistics class  and 5 years ago Latin class are making me think at the moment.  "
So it should really be, mult-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-player.
#28 Posted by Kierkegaard (556 posts) -
@Kazona said:
" @Kierkegaard said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
Yes, but in Latin "multi" would be pronounced mul-tee, so it would be pronounced mul-tee-player. The "ih" sound is due to our lazy phonetics that replace far too many sounds with easier variations of "uh."  Or, at least, that's what my 4-years-ago linguistics class  and 5 years ago Latin class are making me think at the moment.  "
So it should really be, mult-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-player. "
Heh, only if you're playing Brotherhood. Or, I guess, DJ Hero. 
#29 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@heatDrive88: I hate to break it to you, but this little old thread isn't going to settle this debate once and for all.
#30 Posted by moelarrycurly (667 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
" Mult-eh-pleur, from the French word for "clusterfuck". "
Oui.
#31 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

Multahplahyah

#32 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -
@Fratteker said:
" Lelu Dallas mult-EE-pass. "
If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me.
#33 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

E.

#34 Posted by heatDrive88 (2170 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero: AN ANSWER MUST BE FOUND.
#35 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

Mult-ih-player like the pronunciation of multiple.

#36 Posted by JJWeatherman (14483 posts) -

I'll say either. Multee is my go-to though.

#37 Edited by Aegon (5117 posts) -

mult-eye-player takes too much effort so I pronounce it multeeplayer. IMO neither is correct.

@zAMERICANLIONz said:
" Mult-ih-player like the pronunciation of multiple. "

Exactly what I was thinking. This pronunciation makes sense.
#38 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

Answer seems pretty definitive so far

#39 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1477 posts) -

Microsoft Anna agrees with me, Mult-ee-player

#40 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

I would think it's a US/British thing? Multeye for Brits and multeee for Americans.

#41 Posted by Meptron (1060 posts) -

"Leeloo Dallas Moolti Player"

#42 Posted by Video_Game_King (34588 posts) -
@Kierkegaard said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
English is somewhat of an illogical language when it comes to pronunciation, so I stand by my answer.
#43 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4478 posts) -

What the hell? Who the fuck says mult-eye-player? That's the dumbest shit I've heard all year. I'm guessing it's either the brain-damaged or foreigners who say it like that, or is this another example of the Americans raping our proud english language?

#44 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

It can go either way.  Just like "either" can be pronounced "eee-ther" or "eye-ther".

#45 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -

I prounounce it Mul-TEH-Player

#46 Edited by Kurtdyoung (1289 posts) -

Mult-ee-player if you are saying it fast, anything slower than normal talking voice and it's mult-eye-player.

I have said "multiplayer" too many times and it is no longer a word.

#47 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

mult tea playa

#48 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

I say mult-ee-player.
#49 Posted by Soapy86 (2597 posts) -

I use both, it depends on the context. 

#50 Posted by Nictel (2312 posts) -

Say chap have you played any mult-eye-player lately? It makes it sound so posh!