Let's talk Survivor Series.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IBurningStar

The November classic is a little less than two weeks away and it seems that the WWE has filled out most of the card already. Which is awfully nice of them, seeing as how they started to get into this nasty habit of not announcing PPV matches until the last minute or just not announcing them at all. Anyway, for those you haven't been keeping up with it all here is a quick run down of what things look like.

John Cena and The Rock vs. Awesome Truth 

CM Punk vs. Alberto Del Rio for the WWE Title 

Big Show vs. Mark Henry for the World Heavyweight Title

Zack Ryder vs Dolph Ziggler for the United States Championship

Team Orton (Randy Orton, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Sin Cara, and Mason Ryan) vs. Team Barret (Wade Barret, Cody Rhodes, Christian, Hunico, and Jack Swagger)

Oh, and there is a divas match or something. I don't know.

So how are you guys feeling about this PPV? Feel free to share your thoughts, predictions, what you like or don't like, etc. I figure that is what this thread can be for. Just a place to discuss the build and hype leading into Survivor Series, as well as our impressions of the event itself when November 20th finally arrives.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By InternetDotCom

I expect the crowd to be really amped for Ryder to win

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

I don't really care about the whole Cena-Rock thing. Have your match at WrestleMania, fine but the whole teaming up part just seems dumb. The Rock's promo last week explaining why he was teaming with Cena was terrible and really made no sense.

Both title matches seem kind of boring to me. Henry just seems to be treading water right now until he can find a real opponent. And while I'm sure Del Rio and Punk will have a good match, their feud hasn't excited me at all.

I think Survivor Series is when Ryder will finally get his moment. Ziggler is the best thing in the WWE right now, as far as I'm concerned but I would have no problem with him dropping the title to Ryder. The Survivor Series tag matches are always fun and Beth Phoenix will probably be forced to face Eve again which is sure to be a waste of time. Seriously, I know the Diva roster is not exactly great but Eve? Really? That's the best challenger you got?

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By lord_canti

when was the team ortan team barret match drafted? and WHY IS MY FAVORITE NEW WRESTLERS TEAMED WITH ORTAN i damed cant stand him

i dislike mark henry so i would rather like him to loose the title but if not i really dont care all that much

zack ryder hasn't been in it much ontil recently so it would be cool to see him get the US champion ship he is talented just stuck behind a annoying gimmick

now onto the rock im going to keep this short due to this not being the popular opinion but i hate that there bringing him back it reaks of desperation yea hes a legend but there's a generation of people who dont know that he was a wrestler, his promos arnt as good as they were and hes just taking up a slot that could be taken by the dozen of deserving new guys that could have there shinning moment at wrestlemania

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By uberpwner93

I feel kind of bad paying that much money for only one match I really care about. Even then it's just a nostalgia trip. WWE 12 or Survivor Series...

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shaunk

Why is The Rock working with Cena now? That should be interesting. And Big Show vs. Mark Henry should be great too. The others don't interest me. also

@IBurningStar said:

Oh, and there is a divas match or something. I don't know.

Lol.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By turboman

@Milkman said:

Seriously, I know the Diva roster is not exactly great but Eve? Really? That's the best challenger you got?

Have you seen the Vengeance match? Probably one of the better Divas matches I've sat through in a while.

Show/Henry seems like a waste of time... hopefully we'll get to the Sheamus/Henry feud soon.

The elimination match could be a whole lotta fun

I expect Ziggler to drop the belt to Ryder, and Ziggler become a main event heel in a couple of months

Punk/ADR match should be good.. hope they continue after SS

Cena/Rock shouldn't team... but The Rock needs to get rid of ring rust as early as possible.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SlightConfuse

Ryder should win the title

Hoping that the revive the shamus/Henry fued the match at sumer slam was awesome

also agree with turbo the divas match at vengeance was really good

Avatar image for captaincharisma
CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CaptainCharisma

Really looking forward to Ryder's match. He was one of my favorite guys back in his ECW days. That was mainly due to his one legged tights and entrance music, not his win/loss column. Hope he wins though. Woo Woo Woo, You Know It. But I agree, Eve was surprisingly good in her match at Vengeance. And her less generic music makes me like her just a tad more.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

Goddamnit Kharma, why'd you have to go and get pregnant, you were making the divas division interesting.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By turboman

@CL60: Kharma decided to switch back to being Mark Henry.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

Ryder and Ziggler will be great.  They put on fantastic matches.    Granted its mostly carried by Ziggler because well... ziggler is that damn good to steal HHH's line but  Him and Ryder have a great chemistry together in the ring regardless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I feel like WWE has done a shitty job building up Awesome Truth as legitimate threat.  To use a comic book analogy I say it is like Superman and The Incredible Hulk teaming up to take on Captain Boomerang and Stilt Man. 

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By musubi
@bartok: Pretty much.  Its just an excuse to see them in action together.   And I mean WHO  doesn't expect the entire thing to end with rocky planting Cena into the ground after they win?  I mean come on... even the marks have to see that one from a mile away.
jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By jewunit

When did they cut the Survivor Series team-up matches down? I thought the Survivor Series team-up matches were the crux of the PPV?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I feel weird saying this but Mark Henry is currently my favorite guy on the roster.  I think it has to do with the fact that they are booking Mark as genuine monster who backs up what he says as opposed to the way WWE usually books heel champions as cowards who are only holding on to the belt due to cheating and interference.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IBurningStar

Before I get into my thoughts on SS I just want to congratulate everyone on our campaign to claim back the Wrestling Ring as our the official WM wrestling forum. Good job, duders!

John Cena and The Rock vs. Awesome Truth  
This is the match that WWE seems to be trying to sell us the PPV with, and to be honest it is the one I am least interested in. I'm sure that the Rock's return to the ring will help the buy rate and will certainly attract some older fans, but at what cost? For starters it kind of killed a lot of momentum that the conspiracy storyline had. Cena and the Rock just kind of got pulled into it because they wanted them to team up and needed someone for them to face. The aren't really selling the rage and frustration Cena may have towards the two as much as they are the return of the Rock angle. The Rock's involvement has forced them to shuffle the deck around and in the process we have left things sort of scattered about. I have seen Cena in tag matches against Truth and Miz more times than I would ever care for, and the simple fact that his partner this time just happens to be the Rock really doesn't excite me all that much.

CM Punk vs. Alberto Del Rio for the WWE Title  
CM Punk is the best thing WWE has going for them at the moment. He puts on great matches and his promos are always amazing. It is a shame that Del Rio can't really hold his own on the microphone against Punk. I'm sure this feud would be a bit more engaging if he was. But come Survivor Series that really won't matter because I'm positive that these guys will put on a great show. Don't expect a clean finish, though. And don't expect for this conflict to be resolved in one night. Del Rio walks out champ and faces Punk again at TLC.

Big Show vs. Mark Henry for the World Heavyweight Title 
I think this rivalry should have been dropped after Vengeance because, well, they aren't going to top the ending of their initial confrontation. Big Show is just keeping Henry busy until the time is right for another challenger to step up to the plate. Big Show wouldn't gain anything from a win over Henry and it would be a waste of Henry's extremely successful monster heel run. No, Henry is being built up to help put a younger wrestler way the hell over.  Expect someone like Sheamus or Daniel Bryan to be the one to bring down the world's strongest man and his house of pain. Henry retains at SS.

Zack Ryder vs Dolph Ziggler for the United States Championship 
Know what would be a good way to get people to care about US Championship again? Give it to someone they actually like and want to see succeed. If Ryder wins then I would care about if he retains or not because I like Ryder and I want him to be successful. I want him to matter. Plus Ziggler doesn't need the title anymore. Rumor has it that WWE officials are really high on Ziggler at the moment and he will most likely get a main event push in the coming months. Him holding on to a midcard title doesn't do him any favors and holds him back from pursuing the WWE title. Zack Ryder will be the new United States Champion.

Team Orton vs Team Barret
This one right is is one fucked up hodgepodge Frankenstein's monster of match. What is the story here? Why are these guys teaming up? Well, there isn't one. In fact, this is actually multiple storylines that have been thrown together. Because, hey, we have to have one 5v5 match on the card somewhere. 

The heels make a bit more sense than the faces. Barret, Rhodes, Christian, and Swagger all grouped up against Triple H and had a loosely affiliated stable for a couple of weeks, so those guys have history. Then there is Hunico. There are two reasons why he is here. The first one is because they didn't want to double book Ziggler for two months in a row. The second is because they need to do something with the Hunico/Sin Cara story and the past has already proven that the crowd gets pretty dead when it is just the two of them in the ring. It is hard to construct a compelling narrative when one guy has no charisma and the other one doesn't ever fucking talk.

On the other side of the ring we have the motley crew of Orton, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Sin Cara, and MASON RYAN. It is only when you look at the good guys side of the match that you realize that this thing was thrown together on the spot. It is Orton's guys verses Barret's guys. But wait, I thought Orton's main feud was against Rhodes. Shouldn't he be captaining the other team? So I guess that Barret is the leader of their little click? It seemed more like Christian was, but whatever.  Anyway, this is really just a bunch of programs all being done in one match. You have Sheamus and Christian, you have Sin Cara and Hunico, you got Kofi and Swagger, and then you have Orton and Barret/Rhodes...So what the fuck is Mason Ryan doing here? Oh right, Evan Bourne got suspended for a month. Guess they had to find someone to fill that spot and why not use Welsh Batista? Remember that one time he turned on Ziggler and Swagger? That is a good enough reason to have him involved. That is totally a strong enough reason.

I don't know who is going to win. I don't think it will matter. Wow. That was a wall of text.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By DisposableUser

I have to say that I'm more pumped for TLC than SS right now which means wwe is doing a horrible job of promoting a pay-per-view where The Rock will be in the main event.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By musubi
@bartok: It really is refreshing  that  we have a monster heel champion.    Ah remember the old days...... 

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By ImperiousRix

It seems like it's going to be a fun card, though I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed with this year's signature elimination match. I mean, it's the Survivor Series, but the match itself seems to be a bit of an afterthought this year. Don't get me wrong, I love most of the guys involved, but I expect it'll come pretty early in the card. Also, no Daniel Bryan on the card makes me sad face.

Most looking forward to Punk vs. ADR, Rock/Cena vs. Awesome Truth, and Ryder vs. Ziggler. I can't see them putting the belt back on Punk, but I think it's about time ADR gave it up. He's a great wrestler, just not a great champion. I love Awesome Truth, so they could be wrestling their shadows and I'd be excited. Hopefully Rock brings his A game, as does Cena, and that the match turns out to be more than just an extended squash (though I know it'll likely be completely focused on furthering the Rock vs. Cena rivalry for Mania). Ryder seems primed to take the championship, and it'd be great if Ziggler went on to be a main event threat again, but honestly I could see them going either way with that match.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60
@Demoskinos said:
@bartok: It really is refreshing  that  we have a monster heel champion.    Ah remember the old days...... 

Wonder how his son the hand is doing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Henry has had to suffer through some terrible angles. I am genuinely happy to not only see him as champ, but as a TREMENDOUS champ!

I remember the Smackdown before he won the title and he was on the Cutting Edge. Mark Henry's promo at the end was damn good. It was like Edge pointing out that after 15 years, he still ain't got shit to show for it cut to the bone and what should've been a great face story about a guy working hard finally getting his due has rather turned into a tragic villain story of a guy getting what he's always wanted and deserves having to become a hated monster to get it.

And then when he finally won it and even some of the crowd cheered it, he took to the mic and tol them to piss off cause they didn't believe in him and weren't gonna be allowed to share in his celebration.

Since then he's just been tearing ass everywhere. His match against Big Show was excellent considering the limitations of two such behemoths.

And the promos he's been cutting since introducing the Hall Of Pain have been intimdating as Hell. My favorite was probably when Big Show returned and wanted to start shit and Henry was all "You've been on a rehabilitating vacation. A vacation *I* afforded you!" or something to that effect. The man got the ball and is now running with it. Great booking and I'm hoping for a lengthy reign. Imagine if Daniel Bryan dethrones him when he cashes in MITB at Wrestlemania? I bet they could pull off an amazing David vs Goliath match in the vein of Vader vs Sting or Vader vs Flair back in the day.