Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

I got a gold membership when it first became a thing along with the big live live show live. As of this week ive gone down to a free membership.

I just moved out of my parents house. I'm broke as fuck! I literally have none of the things that people should have. I just got a microwave today. Still need a toaster and lots of other shit. I don't even own a hammer or any other tools that I probably need. Thank god for dollar stores anyway they had alot of the basics.

Just going to assume,

First reply:"welcome to real life"

#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

I got a gold membership when it first became a thing along with the big live live show live. As of this week ive gone down to a free membership.

I just moved out of my parents house. I'm broke as fuck! I literally have none of the things that people should have. I just got a microwave today. Still need a toaster and lots of other shit. I don't even own a hammer or any other tools that I probably need. Thank god for dollar stores anyway they had alot of the basics.

Just going to assume,

First reply:"welcome to real life"

#2 Posted by TyCobb (1975 posts) -

Here's a question: was the move voluntary? Not sure why one would move out and not have some sort of cash saved to purchase these things. Seems like a move was not the best decision if you aren't able to afford a $15 toaster.

Also, you don't need a toaster. Turn the oven to broil and slap your toast in there for 30 seconds.

#3 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

If I were to move out this very second, I would probably be homeless and eating trash out of people's garbage cans in like 2 hours. I think you're doing fine.

#4 Posted by Guns_N_Roses_Child (12 posts) -

At least you have Internet?

#5 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

Here's a question: was the move voluntary? Not sure why one would move out and not have some sort of cash saved to purchase these things. Seems like a move was not the best decision if you aren't able to afford a $15 toaster.

Also, you don't need a toaster. Turn the oven to broil and slap your toast in there for 30 seconds.

I saved up some money. I just never even thought, in my monumental ignorance, that I would have to go out and buy things like dishes and a toilet plunger.

#6 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

@Guns_N_Roses_Child said:

Damn straight I do. 25 mb per second!

#7 Posted by TyCobb (1975 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

@TyCobb said:

I saved up some money. I just never even thought, in my monumental ignorance, that I would have to go out and buy things like dishes and a toilet plunger.

At least you moved out closer to winter. Should help out with the electrical bill since you can just wear sweaters. Summer sucks because there is nothing you can do except suffer the heat or break down and turn on the AC. No clue what region you are in so this may or may not be the case if you are actually coming up summer lol.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (15163 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

@TyCobb said:

Its easy to forget the menial things like that but you'll do fine. I'd sit down and figure out what sort of monthly income to bills/expenses you have and chart out a plan of action to how you are going to distribute said money. If you have an active plan in place you'll be less likely to corner yourself in a spot where you don't have money.

#9 Posted by Ben_H (3440 posts) -
@Devil240Z said:

PRIORITIES
#10 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

@Devil240Z said:

@TyCobb said:

At least you moved out closer to winter. Should help out with the electrical bill since you can just wear sweaters. Summer sucks because there is nothing you can do except suffer the heat or break down and turn on the AC. No clue what region you are in so this may or may not be the case if you are actually coming up summer lol.

Its winter. but where I live no one has AC. so everyone is hot during summer and electricity bills are low.

#11 Posted by wjb (1697 posts) -

Aww man, that sucks because you won't get to see the staff play 20-year-old games for 6 hours once a month anymore! Might as well kill yourself! (Don't kill yourself).

#12 Posted by darkedhunter (37 posts) -

@Guns_N_Roses_Child: He moved out, it's not like he is amish.

#13 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

I do not believe there is a violin small enough for this occasion...

#15 Posted by Sweep (8983 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

Might as well stick a #firstworldproblems tag in the thread title...

#16 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

Actually I think this goes beyond first world problems. A first world problem would be like "Oh no, I don't have access to the Internet because I can't afford it". I could at least understand how that could be viewed as a problem, even if it is a stupid thing to complain about. This, on the other hand, brings it to a whole new level. There should be a new term created just for this - something like Royalty Problems or something - because this really does come across as like a King or Queen complaining that they can't afford an 101st priceless painting.

#17 Posted by allworkandlowpay (873 posts) -

The cynic in me feels like somebody is trolling for a pity gifting of a premium membership.

#18 Posted by Carryboy (748 posts) -

Im feeling pretty good since i stopped donating money to this site.

#19 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -

With the amount of premium content they put out, just buy a one-month premium membership whenever you have enough unwatched premium content, and then watch them all. That's what I do.

#20 Posted by DriveupLife (919 posts) -

@Devil240Z: Do you have some sort of employment to support yourself?

#21 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Sweep said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

Actually I think this goes beyond first world problems. A first world problem would be like "Oh no, I don't have access to the Internet because I can't afford it". I could at least understand how that could be viewed as a problem, even if it is a stupid thing to complain about. This, on the other hand, brings it to a whole new level. There should be a new term created just for this - something like Royalty Problems or something - because this really does come across as like a King or Queen complaining that they can't afford an 101st priceless painting.

its not that big of a deal... I'm just saying that it sucks that I'm gonna be unable to watch any premium stuff for awhile.

@allworkandlowpay said:

The cynic in me feels like somebody is trolling for a pity gifting of a premium membership.

Not really. I'm probably gonna re sub next time I get paid. Bills just come first.

@DriveupLife said:

@Devil240Z: Do you have some sort of employment to support yourself?

yeah. I'm employed.

#22 Posted by Danteveli (1205 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

@TyCobb said:

Yeah its crazy how much you have to spend on all that crap that usually just was there.

#23 Posted by Grillbar (1913 posts) -

what i dont understand is why diddent you buy at least most of the stuff before you moved or at least sat down wrote everything down you needed and find out how much it would cost. and then make sure you had the money before you moved. i mean i moved out when i was 15 and i had those things sorta under control. granted the only tools i owned was a hammer (a brick layers hammer if that makes any sense) 2 different levelers and a drill that barely could drill though cardboard, but luckily i lived fairly close to my father so i just invited him home to help me with hanging picture frames and what not.

and sorry if i sound kinda asshole'ish i just dont understand how some of the basic items you need in a home could come as a surprise

also if your broke as fuck and its not a sudden loss of income due to a job or something like that, then there is something wrong with your budget

hope you read this as i intended it to sound like and not like i kinda feel it sounds like and maybe also a bit more coherent

in any case, best of luck to you

#24 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@FlarePhoenix

@Sweep said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

Something something don't be a jerk something something.

Moving out for the first time (especially alone) can be extremely daunting and it is easy to miss stuff in your planning when looking to furnish and whatnot.

I feel your pain duder, it sucks missing out on something you want because you underestimated a cost elsewhere (as I'm about to find out needing to buy a new fridge at the start of prime gaming season)
#25 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@FlarePhoenix

@Sweep said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

Something something don't be a jerk something something. Moving out for the first time (especially alone) can be extremely daunting and it is easy to miss stuff in your planning when looking to furnish and whatnot. I feel your pain duder, it sucks missing out on something you want because you underestimated a cost elsewhere (as I'm about to find out needing to buy a new fridge at the start of prime gaming season)

Yes, it is hard when you move out on your own for the first time. However, if you're struggling to make ends meet and the big focus of post is "I can't afford a premium membership anymore", I'm going to call you out on it. It is, at best, a desperate plea for sympathy or, at worst, a hope that someone will go "Oh that just won't do; I shall donate thee a premium membership.

#26 Posted by Little_Socrates (5715 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix: Or it's a joke.

#27 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@FlarePhoenix Yep, it's absurd that he commented on the forum of the website be enjoys and supports that his current financial situation due to moving out means that he can't afford to support said enjoyable website, and that this circumstance is kind of crappy.
#28 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Hmm possibly... it is rather difficult to convey tone on the Internet.

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@FlarePhoenix Yep, it's absurd that he commented on the forum of the website be enjoys and supports that his current financial situation due to moving out means that he can't afford to support said enjoyable website, and that this circumstance is kind of crappy.

Well good. I'm glad you agree :P (I'm kidding, I'm kidding).

I get what you're saying, and I probably was a little too harsh. It was really just the title itself of "Life with a standard membership, I'm dying" which made me raise an eyebrow. I mean, it's not like Giant Bomb has a lot of material caged behind the premium membership, and there is a lot you can enjoy without having to pay. I just felt the original poster was bitching for the sake of bitching, and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

#29 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

The premise of the topic was a joke. This topic is mostly about me adjusting to life on my own. I'm adjusting pretty well imo. I'm just a little short on cash at the moment. Basically I was just annoyed that my sub went tits up right after I moved.

#30 Posted by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

If you have an Android phone you can watch premium stuff for free with the giant bomb app.

#31 Posted by Snail (8662 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

You seriously need internet that fast if you're short on money?

#32 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Devil240Z said:

You seriously need internet that fast if you're short on money?

It was some promotion from comcast. its only $40 a month and I get basic cable tv for free.