• 85 results
#1 Edited by Alexander (1720 posts) -
#2 Posted by Daneian (1171 posts) -

Maybe I'm missing something but the link isn't letting me listen to any of the tracks.

#3 Edited by Alexander (1720 posts) -

@daneian: click the "view in iTunes" link and it should open iTunes and take you here:

http://i.imgur.com/dXt5Pxn.png

#4 Edited by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@alexander: I'm only able to listen to previews of the tracks. Did you do something extra to listen to the full tracks?

Listening now. Am not disappointed.

#5 Posted by Daneian (1171 posts) -

@alexander: Oh christ. Thanks for that. I was clicking the link under the Random Access Memories album, not the one at the top.

#6 Posted by Alexander (1720 posts) -

@ravenlight: I've edited to include the link to press to open in iTunes, should work!

#7 Posted by louiedog (2330 posts) -

I wish they hadn't made the preview deal with the one store that doesn't stream on the web.

#8 Posted by wenis (40 posts) -

love the album. it fits right in with what they hoped to accomplish.

an all encompassing trip through disco's origins, into it's poppy youth and right into it's crazy italo.disco prog side.

#9 Edited by SlashDance (1757 posts) -

That Giorgio Moroder track is incredible.

Listening to the rest right now. Not really in love with it to be honest.

#10 Posted by Cheesebob (1211 posts) -

I am up to Lose Yourself to Dance. I love it

#11 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

So far its glorious, Giorgio by Moroder is perfect!

#12 Edited by Alexander (1720 posts) -

Immense. They lost me on Touch, but other than that I'll be listening over and over, it's only going to sound better.

#13 Edited by Cheesebob (1211 posts) -

Not a fan of Within. But other than that I am really enjoying this album

#14 Edited by Daneian (1171 posts) -

Not too into Within or Touch but I really enjoyed it overall. I've listened to the radio edit of 'Get Lucky' so many times that the ten second intro threw me off at first.

#15 Posted by SlashDance (1757 posts) -

Done ! I rarely listen to whole albums in one go, so I guess it was pretty good. Better than I expected after Get Lucky.

Giorgio By Moroder is definitely the highlight for me. Touch is also pretty magnificent. On the downside, being a huge fan of Chilly Gonzales, Within was a big let down. :/

In any case, I think it's safe to assume that this is going to be a polarizing album.

#16 Edited by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Joyous, Moving, Funky, Nostalgic, Futuristic, and absolutely bonkers!

I love it!

#17 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

My copy of Discovery is looking worried, Random Access Memories is genius, properly genius... my god

#18 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

I appreciate Giorgio's soothing words on the 3rd track upon first listen, but this track is gonna be a little off putting in the future with him talking over the music.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

The fact that this is making me want to replace Discovery for my top spot is making me unbelievably happy. Can't wait for the FLAC

#20 Posted by TurboMan (6941 posts) -

This is easily in the top two Daft Punk albums for me. So many quality tracks. Giorgio is the true standout on the first listen, but there's so many great tracks scattered throughout.

#21 Posted by Never_Not_Gaming (16 posts) -

I loved the "Get Lucky" single. If the rest of the album is more of the same, I'll be so happy.

#22 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

I appreciate Giorgio's soothing words on the 3rd track upon first listen, but this track is gonna be a little off putting in the future with him talking over the music.

That's kinda why I don't like it, it's a good track but him talking kinda ruins it for me and I don't know if I want to hear that monologue every time I listen to it.

#23 Posted by Andorski (5107 posts) -

Random thought: If this is the style of music they have been wanting to make since 2008, then they must have hated doing the TRON OST or only saw it as an easy cash grab. RAM has such a laid back melodic vibe and contrasts hard when compared to TRON OST/HAA/Discovery/Homework's rock-electro style. The change in their work is extremely jarring. I'm still trying to figure out if I truly like it or if I just like the idea of artists trying something new (even if what they create is not to my liking).

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Okay, listened to it and for the most part I liked what I heard. But it's Negative Nancy time up ins:

• While I enjoyed the soothing vocals over track three, I don't think they add more than they take away from the album.
  • Touch is way too Bjork weird for my liking. I don't really enjoy what this track is doing.
  • As much as my brain subconsciously enjoys Get Lucky, the radio edit version that was previously released is now the only canon version in my mind.
  • Motherboard is fine up until the 2/3 mark. Then it sounds like somebody's first time with a synth and they're just making the weirdest noises they can.

Other than those specific complaints, I really enjoyed the album. I was never really into Daft Punk in the past so I'm not going to try to compare the feel of this album to their previous ones. It's decent on its own. RAM definitely warrants repeat listens so maybe some of that stuff will grow on me.

Still, part of me is tempted to say the whole exercise was worth it because we got this.

#25 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

I am really liking what I'm hearing so far. A lot.

#26 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

If I have to install iTunes to listen to this album, I can wait a while longer.

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

God this is the worst time to have my preamp crap out on me. I refuse to listen to the album before I can get my real stereo working again though. At least by then the vinyl should be out and I can hear it for the first time in my fav format.

#28 Edited by Jace (1092 posts) -

Within is the only song I think I'll cut from the CD I use in my car.

#29 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

I kinda get the feeling from some of these tracks they got bit by the movie score bug with Tron and are stretching a bit more in that direction. I really like it.

#30 Edited by markini6 (444 posts) -

Really, really like "Doing it Right" with Panda Bear, probably my favourite track on the album.

#31 Edited by Sanious (779 posts) -

Definitely digging this album, some songs took consecutive listens to get into though, which is why I never trust my initial impressions on any album. Around my 4th time listening to the whole thing through today and it's better each time for me.

#32 Edited by Nev (534 posts) -

Loving it. Nice funk, nice laid back jams.

#33 Posted by TheHT (10256 posts) -

After a first listen my favourites are:

• Give Life Back to Music
  • Giorgio by Morodor
  • Instant Crush
  • Motherboard
  • Fragments of Time
  • Doin' It Right
  • Contact

With Motherboard and Contact vying for best song and Doin' It Right and Instant Crush vying for catchiest song. That's pretty much half of the album, so I guess I'm in the "liked it" camp. I don't typically do this, but I look forward to sitting down and giving it all a listen again.

Also, does Contact remind anyone else of that Space Cadet pinball game that comes with Windows? If someone took the theme and stabbed it in the chest with adrenaline of course.

I'm not crying foul or anything, it's just funny that it reminds me of this old thing.

#34 Posted by Kraznor (1573 posts) -

Giving it a second listen right now and its growing on me. That first pass fell pretty flat though, guess I was hoping for something more lively, but I felt the same way about Tron Legacy. The inevitable ocean of remixes and perhaps another live album may make these more what I'm looking for. Interesting and varied to be sure, but not really vying for my top album spot or anything.

#35 Edited by Kraznor (1573 posts) -

@ravenlight: Definitely agree the full cut of Get Lucky is hard to get used to. Just seems needlessly drawn out now.

#37 Edited by StrikeALight (1111 posts) -

Don't get the appeal. Good on them, though.

#38 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Why is there so much emphasis on what others will think? all this talk about polarized camps and disappointed nerds, it's just music for the soul it's not a community project

#39 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

@andorski said:

Random thought: If this is the style of music they have been wanting to make since 2008, then they must have hated doing the TRON OST or only saw it as an easy cash grab. RAM has such a laid back melodic vibe and contrasts hard when compared to TRON OST/HAA/Discovery/Homework's rock-electro style. The change in their work is extremely jarring. I'm still trying to figure out if I truly like it or if I just like the idea of artists trying something new (even if what they create is not to my liking).

I doubt that, RAM has been a long time in the making because they were in no rush in making it. I think somewhere it was stated (maybe by Busy P) that they took a year off in the middle of making RAM because one of them had a child born.

Pretty sure they did Tron to see if they could actually score a major motion picture, which is something they have played with in the past.

I don't really know how people can be disappointed with RAM, its a master piece... though I still don't understand the people who where disappointed by Human After All... seems some people only ever want artists to make the same music over and over... which is something Daft Punk has never really been about.

#40 Edited by Sanious (779 posts) -

@baldgye said:

I don't really know how people can be disappointed with RAM, its a master piece... though I still don't understand the people who where disappointed by Human After All... seems some people only ever want artists to make the same music over and over... which is something Daft Punk has never really been about.

I really don't understand people either, there are people hating it because it isn't completely Electronic, which is confusing because Daft Punk never lead anyone to believe that it would be that. I find Homework, Discovery and Human After All good. And one of the reasons is because they didn't make the same music over and over in those albums. I always found Daft Punk still had a certain "vibe" throughout their albums though.

A part of the reactionary dislike for it could be because of the jarring tone between their other albums, this album is definitely way more relaxed and laid back. Personally I really like that, though.

Anyway, I pretty much like every song on the album outside of "Touch." Don't know what it is about the song, it isn't bad but it's really not catching me.

"Contact" and "Motherboard" are really fucking good, though.

#41 Edited by ItBeStefYo (1021 posts) -

I don't really like it, I guess I wanted something like Discovery and it's not that.

Apart from that I don't think the guest singing is all that spectacular and the "robot" autotune stuff and vocoder doesn't really sound great like it did on digital love for example.

#42 Edited by baldgye (756 posts) -

@sanious said:

@baldgye said:

I really don't understand people either, there are people hating it because it isn't completely Electronic, which is confusing because Daft Punk never lead anyone to believe that it would be that. I find Homework, Discovery and Human After All good. And one of the reasons is because they didn't make the same music over and over in those albums. I always found Daft Punk still had a certain "vibe" throughout their albums though.

A part of the reactionary dislike for it could be because of the jarring tone between their other albums, this album is definitely way more relaxed and laid back. Personally I really like that, though.

Anyway, I pretty much like every song on the album outside of "Touch." Don't know what it is about the song, it isn't bad but it's really not catching me.

"Contact" and "Motherboard" are really fucking good, though.

I really love Touch, one of my fav tracks... that said, I love every song on the album...

#43 Posted by Alexander (1720 posts) -

Some thoughts:
- The groove in Beyond sounds like Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgettin'
- Instant Crush is exactly that, so catchy.
- Most people would have heard Moroder's music in Scarface and the opening after the monologue totally took me there.
- Pharrell William's vocals on Loose Yourself to Dance are really well suited.
- Touch is either the least penetrable or the worst song on the album, or both.
- You can hear hints of The Son of Flynn (Tron OST) in Motherboard.
- Right now almost everything pop is purely electronic, it's the perfect time for Daft Punk to release this album.
- I'm so glad they brought back Todd Edwards, he has a distinctive, awesome voice and Fragments of Time is terrific.

#44 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

The only thing that I can see turning off some people is the overall laid back, funk vibe the album went for. Not sure why people are saying the songs aren't "going anywhere", in many ways a lot of these songs are still tied to House music just like their past stuff. If people have this issue then I don't get why their past stuff doesn't fall under the same critique. In many ways these songs are also progressive, they seem to be a lot more dynamic than past songs.

Also this album has been an absolute hit with my smoking buddies. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the laid back nature of the album and being baked go hand in hand pretty well.

@itbestefyo: Discovery brought in a new sound and broke away from a lot of tropes of the genre at that time, RAM is doing the same thing here so in a way I consider it another Discovery but in a different direction which is fine by me. If I actually wanted more Discovery then I would just go watch Interstella again for the hundredth time.

#45 Posted by Ben_H (3199 posts) -

I am quite enjoying the album so far. Nice and laid back. Still has that strong disco/funk element going on which I have always been a huge fan of.

#46 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

I like most of the songs but I really don't understand why people seem to love Giorgio by Morodor, probably one of my least favorite songs on the album. I'll give it a couple more listens see if I can change my mind on it, I just am not a fan of the monologue in it.

#47 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Really enjoying my 10th listen but Game of Love is such a snooze, why put it so early on the disc? Dampens the mood before it even begins.

And the vocals just aren't as cool as past DP vocals. It sounds like they went the lazy way and just used autotune instead of whatever it is that made Discovery's vocals so thriling.

#48 Posted by Nefarious_Al (97 posts) -

Very solid album. Good stuff to Daft Punk.

#49 Posted by Ben_H (3199 posts) -

Contact is so amazing.

#50 Edited by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Listened to it a good four times. Needless to say, I loved it and it was definitely worth the wait.