#1 Posted by weirdo (144 posts) -

This requires a little back story to it first, when I was a kid, I wasn't the best at school when it came to math and homework, I stressed easily and had my schooling specially adapted, my math at school/homework was reduced, but when I started in Junior High School (or Lower Secondary School in UK) they completely dismissed the letter from my former principle and ignored to specially adapt my schooling, one of the teachers called me lazy. To fully understand how broad the ignorance they displayed, they had a psychologist study my background and she told the school that the school has to adapt my schooling, that is when one of the teachers called me lazy (except the principle, he's a cool dude). In their ignorance, they payed the price in 9th grade, I was working on a project when I heard a voice in my head that wasn't my own

At the time I didn't understand what was going on, I heard a voice that I couldn't control, so I thought It was my imagination going wild, In a fucked up kind of way, It kept telling me that I can't trust no one, that everyone was out to get me so I had to kill them first. I ignored this, when I came home It said that my mom doesn't love me and etc, I said to myself "If the voice continues I'll tell the school's Superintendent"
The next day I told her, she was shocked and told me to go to the nurse immediately, that was when things were set in motion to get me the help I needed, this took time, however. I had to live a few days with the voice(s) in my head, at 1 time when I went to bed I had around 10 - 16 voices in my head at once, It was mental torture. To make things worse, this girl started to bully me for no reason, so the psychosis made me see do horrible things, I'll keep the details out, I went and told a Superintendent about this the next day, the same day she came to me and apologized and never bullied me again (If you get bullied, tell someone, ask for help, there Is no shame In that).

As time went on, I received the help I needed and the school finally adapted my schooling and got proper medication. As time went on, I figured out ways to battle the psychosis, to those who are battling psychosis read this:

1) If you are like me and you actually see the psychosis in form, the next time you see It, start concentrating, really concentrate on the entity, see a door arise right in front of the entity and shut it, add locks to it, lock that motherfucker in TIGHTLY with every imaginable locks, bolts and chains, and when It is done, sink that door down, then shut a trap door. If you don't see the entity but hear It's voice, try imagining a voice wavelength and mute it (or shut the door) Remember, you REALLY have to concentrate to make this work.

2) If the psychosis gives you images, violent images of people harmed or dead, imagine it as a piece of paper, like a bad idea, imagine you are crumbling it and throw it into a waste dispenser or fireplace, again, concentrate really hard on this. Both tricks will take some practice and doing it over and over again.
DON'T FORCE THE PSYCHOSIS. Let it come to you naturally, ONLY when it "shows" itself do you do this.

I gave these 2 tips to the shrink, she told them on to other patients and it works for them! So why not you? (Note, If you suffer from schizophrenia, I do not know If this will work for you, but you are welcomed to try)

Now, If you read all the way to here and asked yourself "But why does he find It fascinating?" Because the psychosis Is you. The psychosis is a form of self-defense mechanism for the brain to handle daily stress (Don't worry, It takes hell of a lot of stress and emotional trauma to develop It) but at the same time, It's a grey splotch on the brain which manages to fool the brain into thinking what isn't there is there. For example: Let us say I am thirsty, then to my right, I can see a glass of coke, I never poured it nor did I bring any, let alone have any coke but It Is still there. When I touch the glass, I can feel that the coke Is cold, when I drink it, I can taste the coke and feel how cold It Is, and that is fascinating. I have experienced events which would have made you shit your pants, I have seen scary figures which has only inspired me beasts to add to fantasy books, even stories!

Now, I don't remember the name of the game, but there Is a game In the making where mental illness Is the main focus of the game, many thought It was like a taboo subject and going too far, personally, I'm glad they are making It. Because I hope they can clear up that there ARE people with psychosis who can manage day to day affairs, like me. That we aren't dangerous as movies/tv shows make us (never taken offense to It, I myself quite enjoy them), I also hope that bullies will be interested in the game and buy it and the game shows them that the guy they are picking on, could develop psychosis and cease to bully the kid. The game Is a great opportunity to enlighten people about this subject.

Thank you for your attention.

PS: I have some stories to tell, but I decided to spare them, If anyone Is interested, just ask! I have no problem recounting the experience!

#2 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1831 posts) -

I know a girl with DID(dissociative identity disorder, also known as multiple personality disorder) and her life sounds so incredibly difficult. I can barely handle one person in here, I can't imagine what having a full house in my head would be like. It sounds fascinating, at the same time, to be able to just be someone else... but I don't know if the price is worth paying. I like knowing what's going on in my life even if I'm often detached and incapable of focusing on it for any amount of time.

Not that it's the same thing as what you're going through. I'm just tired so I thought of her reading this. I'm glad it works for you(or you've made it work, either way) and your life interests you even more as a result of it. It's a good outlook to have.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (7919 posts) -

Fascinating read. Thanks for sharing.

#4 Edited by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

I'm glad you've been able to find ways to cope. Psychosis is varied and difficult. If you can exert the control you need, that's great.

I only have sad stories when it comes to people I have known with psychological disorders. I lost a friend to multiple personality disorder, and over the years, I've seen too many be tortured by their own minds.

#5 Posted by audioBusting (1465 posts) -

Cool, thanks for writing about it. I know that Matt Gilgenbach is working on that Neverending Nightmares game, maybe that's what you were thinking?

#6 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

Excuse my ignorance because I really know nothing about this sort of thing, but when you said you heard voices in your head, was it your own voice or an unfamiliar voice?

#7 Posted by armaan8014 (5319 posts) -

@weirdo said:

PS: I have some stories to tell, but I decided to spare them, If anyone Is interested, just ask! I have no problem recounting the experience!

That would be interesting if you're willing to share :)

#8 Posted by ThunderSlash (1514 posts) -

Interesting read. Having all those voices in your head must give you a killer headache. I can hardly manage one voice. Is the game Sanitarium? Or maybe Alice? Or maybe Killer7?

#9 Edited by GnaTSoL (790 posts) -

Well if I'm able to ask anything as you say, why did your psychosis make you see/do after being bullied by that girl?

Hearing some of your stories would be cool too. I feel like I have some very faint psychological issues that troubles me to a certain degree but not to your point.

A weird example in my case is sometimes, very rarely, my brain does something where it makes me perceive the world is moving a lot faster, unnaturally so. Like I'll feel like everything I see, feel, hear, etc is moving in superspeed. I've had that issue since being a kid and while it doesn't really affect me gravely it is annoying and something I've never been able to explain. Doctors haven't told me much but to me it sounds like an obvious brain thing.

Best thing to do with issues is to not think you're weird because of them. Everyone has issues. Some just know how to cover them up better than others. And really.... What is weird and normal really? There's no central definition for either considering just by how each country views the subjects differently.

Back to main subject, ain't it crazy/scary the power the mind has over everything? You're empowerment over you (the brain) is the most important thing to life cause it will decide how reality fairs for you.

Which reminds me. At one point I got super into reading new/articles/books into the 'idea' of unlocking the full potential of the brain. The way some people would reach astonishing lvls of empowerment over their brains to accomplish incredible things in the world got me thinking that in theory, they reached some kind of zenith of control over their own brain that allowed them to use it to their full desires/needs.

Yeah, in a way, it's kinda possible to go Super Saiyan. :D

#10 Posted by Dasacant2 (210 posts) -

yeah I've had voices in my head too, my biggest problem was they would tell me to do things. Mostly small things like move a cup but if I didn't do it they would get louder and would not stop until I did it. Luckily I got help before I did anything too bad. Still it kind of freaks me out sometimes.

#11 Posted by weirdo (144 posts) -

Cool, thanks for writing about it. I know that Matt Gilgenbach is working on that Neverending Nightmares game, maybe that's what you were thinking?

It could be, It has been a while since I have heard of It, most likely It Is

@cale said:

Excuse my ignorance because I really know nothing about this sort of thing, but when you said you heard voices in your head, was it your own voice or an unfamiliar voice?

Unfamiliar voices and every voice was unique, the hallucinations (I think) are just as "creative" as you are, I wouldn't call you ignorant for not knowing, I can't figure out what the proper word Is but the fact that you asked a question and not stating "no that Is impossible" speaks to me you are seeking more knowledge In this area, please, do ask the questions!

@weirdo said:

This one time I was sleeping over at my dad's place (parents divorced) when I woke up with my heart literally punching my chest which sent a massive surge of energy (kinda ticklish) I immediately looked to the window when I saw a "demon" It was about my height and it was pure black, like when you look up at night and there is just pure darkness, that black, on his head, 8 just as black spikes, like a crown, his eyes was blood red with a black pupil, his "fingers" were almost as long as his legs but the fingers weren't fingers, they were long spikes. When I turned to turn on the light and looked back It was gone. I have a couple more If anyone is interested.

@gnatsol said:

Well if I'm able to ask anything as you say, why did your psychosis make you see/do after being bullied by that girl?

Hearing some of your stories would be cool too. I feel like I have some very faint psychological issues that troubles me to a certain degree but not to your point.

A weird example in my case is sometimes, very rarely, my brain does something where it makes me perceive the world is moving a lot faster, unnaturally so. Like I'll feel like everything I see, feel, hear, etc is moving in superspeed. I've had that issue since being a kid and while it doesn't really affect me gravely it is annoying and something I've never been able to explain. Doctors haven't told me much but to me it sounds like an obvious brain thing.

Best thing to do with issues is to not think you're weird because of them. Everyone has issues. Some just know how to cover them up better than others. And really.... What is weird and normal really? There's no central definition for either considering just by how each country views the subjects differently.

Back to main subject, ain't it crazy/scary the power the mind has over everything? You're empowerment over you (the brain) is the most important thing to life cause it will decide how reality fairs for you.

Which reminds me. At one point I got super into reading new/articles/books into the 'idea' of unlocking the full potential of the brain. The way some people would reach astonishing lvls of empowerment over their brains to accomplish incredible things in the world got me thinking that in theory, they reached some kind of zenith of control over their own brain that allowed them to use it to their full desires/needs.

Yeah, in a way, it's kinda possible to go Super Saiyan. :D

I warn anyone who wants to read what the psychosis made me see is grotesque and macabre, read at your own volition and please know that It has been years since I have experienced something like this. What I saw, was myself In third person, I jumped on her at night, slit her throat her throat and let her die, then "I" cut off her head and shot into her head, the gunshots read as "bitch", I also saw her life fading from her eyes as she cried. I felt sick "watching" this, I told my shrink about this hallucination and worked It out. It was the next day after the hallucination I told the superintendent I was bullied by her, I didn't tell him about the hallucination.

Have tried seeing a psychologist about this?

yeah I've had voices in my head too, my biggest problem was they would tell me to do things. Mostly small things like move a cup but if I didn't do it they would get louder and would not stop until I did it. Luckily I got help before I did anything too bad. Still it kind of freaks me out sometimes.

When the psychosis got mad at me, I visualized "him" (I had complete control over "him" at this point) and basically imagined I kicked his ass, worked every time. I'm happy you got the help you needed :)

#12 Posted by Juzie (167 posts) -

Interesting read, what I don't understand is the difference between Psychosis and Schizophrenia? Perhaps you might be able to explain?

#13 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

@weirdo said:

@cale said:

Unfamiliar voices and every voice was unique, the hallucinations (I think) are just as "creative" as you are, I wouldn't call you ignorant for not knowing, I can't figure out what the proper word Is but the fact that you asked a question and not stating "no that Is impossible" speaks to me you are seeking more knowledge In this area, please, do ask the questions!

I was honestly expecting it to be your own voice, but this is even more interesting, if that's the right word. I wonder, do the voices just come in with their message and then disappear, or do they ever respond to your actual inner voice? Do the different voices have different personalities? Also, has a voice ever told you to do something nice, rather than do a bad thing? I know when I think of someone who has voices in their head it's always a voice telling them to do something bad, so I wonder if there's anyone who has voices telling them to do nice things.

#14 Posted by weirdo (144 posts) -
@juzie said:

Interesting read, what I don't understand is the difference between Psychosis and Schizophrenia? Perhaps you might be able to explain?

I was lucky enough to have a mild psychosis, schizophrenia is much more powerful I really recommend reading the wiki page.

@cale said:

@weirdo said:

@cale said:

I was honestly expecting it to be your own voice, but this is even more interesting, if that's the right word. I wonder, do the voices just come in with their message and then disappear, or do they ever respond to your actual inner voice? Do the different voices have different personalities? Also, has a voice ever told you to do something nice, rather than do a bad thing? I know when I think of someone who has voices in their head it's always a voice telling them to do something bad, so I wonder if there's anyone who has voices telling them to do nice things.

In my case, It would deliver the message and If I refused It would overstay its welcome and try to persuade me to do its bidding (inflicting harm on others or try to instill paranoia thoughts). It always did, I could have a conversation with it but wouldn't recommend It to others unless you have 100% control over It. The night when I had multiple voices was a 1 time experience, thankfully, the "evil" one personified itself as Emperor Palpatine, while the other one personified itself as Edward Norton, this one was the good one, It said It would "code" me to be better at socializing and talking but not completely, I would had to get better myself. As time went on I did, I became better at socializing and talking because of myself and practice, not because of its "coding", mind you ;p

#15 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

@weirdo: Would I be correct in assuming that you still need to take medication for this? If so, by what mechanism does it work? Is psychosis something that can be cured by treatment like CBT alone?

#16 Posted by weirdo (144 posts) -
@cale said:

@weirdo: Would I be correct in assuming that you still need to take medication for this? If so, by what mechanism does it work? Is psychosis something that can be cured by treatment like CBT alone?

Yes and no, yes but It Is for the anxiety and no for the psychosis, small extract from wiki "All antipsychotic drugs tend to block D2 receptors in the dopamine pathways of the brain. This means that dopamine released in these pathways has less effect. Excess release of dopamine in the mesolimbic pathway has been linked to psychotic experiences. It has also been proven less dopamine released in the prefrontal cortex in the brain, and excess dopamine released from all other pathways, has also been linked to psychotic experiences, caused by abnormal dopaminergic function as a result of patients suffering from schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. Various neuroleptics such as haloperidol and chlorpromazine suppress dopamine chemicals throughout its pathways, in order for dopamine receptors to function normally."

I think the techniques I have developed falls under CBT but cannot cure It, but then again I'm not a licensed physician ;p "curing" psychosis is no simple matter, I was in 9th grade when I was diagnosed and I'm 23 years old now, but thankfully It has weakened over time.

#17 Posted by armaan8014 (5319 posts) -

@weirdo: Oh wow that sounds scary. Apparently sleep paralysis creates such freaky hallucinations too. I've had sleep paralysis for a while but it thankfully never reached the level of visual hallucinations. It's receded quite a bit now, almost completely gone. (My cure is to sleep with the TV on.)

I too get the urge to do stupid meaningless things like touch a wall or a chair at a particular spot while walking by, and if I miss it, then walk back to touch it properly a couple of times just to be sure, then purposely skip a step or something while walking and do certain meaningless things that I HAVE to do.

It doesn't come in the form of another person's voice, it's just an urge. I tell the urge to shut up, and I think it's been better recently.

#18 Posted by leebmx (2198 posts) -

@weirdo Really amazing read. I find the way the human mind works to be the most fascinating thing of all. Just having some therapy and discovering how your past has affected and shaped the personality you have know is amazingly interesting. Do you have any idea why you have these voices and thoughts? Don't go into any details you don't want to, but do you have an idea of what has made you this way - and has that knowledge helped?

#19 Posted by NicksCorner (410 posts) -

Its very impressive you have come so far that you can offer advise for people going through the same.

Good going duder, I wish you all the best.

#20 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Another question, do you feel like when you did have hallucinations, were they in any way grounded in reality, maybe memories or things you've seen? Or were they completely new. The "demon" you described earlier sounded like sometime unique. In a horrible way, mind you.

It's also pretty cool to know you can fight it and that you win. Good for you.

#21 Edited by NegativeCero (2973 posts) -

@weirdo: Man, I just want to sit down and have a conversation with you. I'm curious how your condition has affected your personal relationships. Have you hidden it from people until they get close enough to you, has it been a non-issue, etc? Of course, I understand if you don't want to share this.

#22 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

Interesting post. I find psychosis so interesting... the fact that someone's brain can work this way. I love reading books in particular about characters who have these kind of mental issues.

I think I have bits of it myself as well, so that helps the interest... if I don't see it manifested as you do.

Between this and drugs, to me it is so interesting how your consciousness can be altered from the norm, temporarily or permanent from person to person.

#23 Edited by Budwyzer (539 posts) -

When I was a kid I liked to draw pictures of me stabbing people, usually in the face. Is that crazy?

#24 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

How did you know it was going to happen? I might be misreading, but seems like you knew something was going to happen and were trying prepare for it.

Also have you seen A Beautiful Mind, and if you have are there any similarities?

#25 Edited by weirdo (144 posts) -

@weirdo: Oh wow that sounds scary. Apparently sleep paralysis creates such freaky hallucinations too. I've had sleep paralysis for a while but it thankfully never reached the level of visual hallucinations. It's receded quite a bit now, almost completely gone. (My cure is to sleep with the TV on.)

@dasacant2 said:

I too get the urge to do stupid meaningless things like touch a wall or a chair at a particular spot while walking by, and if I miss it, then walk back to touch it properly a couple of times just to be sure, then purposely skip a step or something while walking and do certain meaningless things that I HAVE to do.

It doesn't come in the form of another person's voice, it's just an urge. I tell the urge to shut up, and I think it's been better recently.

Oh man I used to do that too, the anxiety sometimes got too much I watched TV and slept on the couch, naturally my dad got worried but I told him this helps me sleep at night and he let it be that way. That touching random stuff sounds like OCD tendencies rather than psychosis, the more you fight against it the better it is to get rid of it, keep on doing it!

@leebmx said:

@weirdo Really amazing read. I find the way the human mind works to be the most fascinating thing of all. Just having some therapy and discovering how your past has affected and shaped the personality you have know is amazingly interesting. Do you have any idea why you have these voices and thoughts? Don't go into any details you don't want to, but do you have an idea of what has made you this way - and has that knowledge helped?

Well like I wrote earlier (don't worry, I seldom read through long threads either and run the risk of asking the same question ;p) What happened was, imagine emotions Is like water inside a regular glass, the more emotions you fill up the more water you add in the glass, until one day the water overflows and It just happened, my former shrink told me It was the brain's version self-defense mechanism, I don't remember the exact details of why but I do remember that answer. And yea, It Is mostly from my past, when getting over those issues It alleviates It, 1 by 1, I get over the past and feel more stronger, mentally.

@weirdo: Man, I just want to sit down and have a conversation with you. I'm curious how your condition has affected your personal relationships. Have you hidden it from people until they get close enough to you, has it been a non-issue, etc? Of course, I understand if you don't want to share this.

In the beginning I was unsure how people would react because of how the media (unintentionally) portrays people with mental disease, so when I was committed we told my classmates It was because of depression, but as time went on, I learned more about the psychosis and became more confident In myself when I learned how to fight back. These days I'm very open about It, In fact, one of my favorite pranks when I am at parties or meet new people someone may say "That dude Is fucking nuts, he should be thrown In an insane house and never be released!" I then shout back "Hey! I have psychosis and I find that offensive!" Oh lord, the faces everyone makes Is simply priceless. I then laugh and tell them It's okay, and when or If they ask I'll gladly tell them about It.
@budwyzer said:

When I was a kid I liked to draw pictures of me stabbing people, usually in the face. Is that crazy?

I drew violent pictures as well, you weren't alone ;) But If you do It these days then there could be something going on In your unconsciousness or something, something your mind Is trying to repress by drawing violent drawings, I'm not saying you are dangerous to the people around you, but I do recommend going to your doctor or see a local psychiatrist.

Another question, do you feel like when you did have hallucinations, were they in any way grounded in reality, maybe memories or things you've seen? Or were they completely new. The "demon" you described earlier sounded like sometime unique. In a horrible way, mind you.

It's also pretty cool to know you can fight it and that you win. Good for you.

Yea, most of the time the hallucinations are either abstract forms or inspired things I have seen from the past but the most "grounded" (;p) reality I experienced were mostly the voices. The demon was new, never seen a form like it before, I tried to remember where something may have inspired It but I can't trace It, there Is another, which happened recently but I rather not get into that now.

Interesting post. I find psychosis so interesting... the fact that someone's brain can work this way. I love reading books in particular about characters who have these kind of mental issues.

I think I have bits of it myself as well, so that helps the interest... if I don't see it manifested as you do.

Between this and drugs, to me it is so interesting how your consciousness can be altered from the norm, temporarily or permanent from person to person.

Well the case Is that you either have It or you don't, If you think you do, I really recommend to see your doctor, the earlier they can catch It, the better they can help you combat It, take care!

@haffy said:

How did you know it was going to happen? I might be misreading, but seems like you knew something was going to happen and were trying prepare for it.

Also have you seen A Beautiful Mind, and if you have are there any similarities?

You were misreading, If you are talking about how I somehow knew I was getting It, I didn't, It came out of nowhere, or If you mean how I knew It was coming when It was at Its stronger, well In the beginning I didn't know either, when I development the means to mentally combat It, I had to do It there and then, over time It became easier to fight It and catch it when It tried, It was something I either felt or the moving shadow I see at the edges from my eyes.

#26 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

@weirdo Doing my own amateur study, I'm pretty sure I just have some strong anxiety. Thought I had depression for a long time but it turns out the two are often confused. Either way, I think your advice is sound and probably will look into it.

#27 Posted by Neonie (414 posts) -

This thread tastes purple.

I wonder, does one develop psychosis or are they born with it? Does it go away?

#28 Edited by weirdo (144 posts) -

@weirdo Doing my own amateur study, I'm pretty sure I just have some strong anxiety. Thought I had depression for a long time but it turns out the two are often confused. Either way, I think your advice is sound and probably will look into it.

Well, In my own opinion It Is best to let the professionals decide it, there are many variables to go through before one gets properly diagnosed

@neonie said:

"This thread tastes purple" Is that a good thing or a bad thing? No, I don't think one can be born with It, In my case I developed In 9th grade, It can go away but It takes time, they told me I would be free of It In time, I'm 23 years old now and still have "leftover" so to say

#29 Posted by Neonie (414 posts) -

@neonie said:

"This thread tastes purple" Is that a good thing or a bad thing? No, I don't think one can be born with It, In my case I developed In 9th grade, It can go away but It takes time, they told me I would be free of It In time, I'm 23 years old now and still have "leftover" so to say

Huh. Very interesting. Also that seems like quite a late time in life to develop something like that (but then again, that's my guess.) As someone with Schizoid PD, I've actually done quite a lot of looking into various mental illnesses (though mostly skimming and I'm by no means an expert). It is a subject I find quite fascinating really. Though stuff like psychosis and schizophrenia terrify me to my core. Hearing and seeing things that aren't there... I feel like different people have different levels in their ability to handle that. I feel I would handle it very very poorly, and hearing people recount tales of their experiences with it disturbs me more then any horror game or movie ever could.

The "tastes purple" thing was just a Lulu (League) reference :P. (The actual line is "Yup, that tasted purple.")

#30 Posted by weirdo (144 posts) -
@neonie said:

@neonie said:

Huh. Very interesting. Also that seems like quite a late time in life to develop something like that (but then again, that's my guess.) As someone with Schizoid PD, I've actually done quite a lot of looking into various mental illnesses (though mostly skimming and I'm by no means an expert). It is a subject I find quite fascinating really. Though stuff like psychosis and schizophrenia terrify me to my core. Hearing and seeing things that aren't there... I feel like different people have different levels in their ability to handle that. I feel I would handle it very very poorly, and hearing people recount tales of their experiences with it disturbs me more then any horror game or movie ever could.

The "tastes purple" thing was just a Lulu (League) reference :P. (The actual line is "Yup, that tasted purple.")

Well, that cup of water slowly but surely filled up as the yeas passed by. Man I got lucky, I'll admit that, the techniques I listed, I'm not even sure they would have worked on them, It takes a certain amount willpower for It to work because you have to take control over your brain then concentrate on locking It/them behind bars

#31 Edited by Jeust (10453 posts) -

@armaan8014 said:

@weirdo said:

Yeah, I'd love to hear your experiences.

#32 Posted by zFUBARz (620 posts) -

@weirdo said:
@juzie said:

I was lucky enough to have a mild psychosis, schizophrenia is much more powerful I really recommend reading the wiki page.

@cale said:

@weirdo said:

@cale said:

In my case, It would deliver the message and If I refused It would overstay its welcome and try to persuade me to do its bidding (inflicting harm on others or try to instill paranoia thoughts). It always did, I could have a conversation with it but wouldn't recommend It to others unless you have 100% control over It. The night when I had multiple voices was a 1 time experience, thankfully, the "evil" one personified itself as Emperor Palpatine, while the other one personified itself as Edward Norton, this one was the good one, It said It would "code" me to be better at socializing and talking but not completely, I would had to get better myself. As time went on I did, I became better at socializing and talking because of myself and practice, not because of its "coding", mind you ;p

Schizophrenia is fascinating as hell. I love talking to people with it, sometimes it's scary, other times it's fun, and other times it's just plain interesting, I should probably mention I'm in the field.

I'm gonna spoiler block this incase you don't want to read it, I always worry about people with working techniques hearing stories of others incase their brain decides to try something new with that information. It's unlikely, but still

I dealt with a particular client whose hallucinations where ONLY about people that he knew in a cursory manner. Basically a shopkeeper he chatted with for a few minutes, a fellow passenger on a bus, that sort of thing. They would become his hallucinations, and slowly grow over time, to become a domineering voice in his head. The problem being that, because he knew they were real (or assumed I suppose, in extreme cases it can be tough to tell) people that he'd seen with his own eyes, spoken too, and in his head developed some sort of relationship with, when they got to the point of telling him to go buy a thousand bottles of coke to give to children, or to jump in front of a street car, or to stop taking his medication... Well it gets pretty damn hard to discern what's real and what's not.

I've lost some friends to various mental issues, and they're all ugly, But god damn if they aren't also cool as hell in some weird, morbid, scientific way. Of course that curiosity could also be why I'm in the business.

@neonie said:

@neonie said:

A lot of mental illness triggers at puberty or in the early to mid twenties. basically chemical and hormonal changes in the body cause stress, and wreck havoc on what should be normal operating procedures. It's not that people are born with a lot of them, but people are genetically predisposed to certain disorders. if your grandpa had it, watch out for the signs, sort of thing. Of course like all developmental issues, environment plays a big part as well, being predisposed becomes a lot more dangerous when you grow up in a dangerous neighborhood, have to worry about money, food, have no support system to know you can rely on, etc. Basically like this: Two people grow up with equal family history of depression and paranoia in their families, one grows up with a loving family that can be trusted and used for help without fear, and another comes up in a family with an abusive mother and an absentee father. it's not a guarantee that the second person will develop some form of problem, but it's more likely.