#1 Edited by ucankurbaga (180 posts) -

London Riots are still going at this very minute. It started in Tottenham area where some buildings and cars burned by mostly youngsters. I took video of aftermath of this riot to show people how shocking this is:

And the sad thing is police is rubbish, they are just watching people destroy shops/ buildings & cars.

Mod Edit by Sweep:

Let's beef up this OP a little bit.

The riots began as a result of the death of a man called Mark Duggan, a suspected drug dealer (still searching for source), who was killed in a gun battle with police. The police explained that Duggan had opened fire on them, a police officer was shot in his radio (!?!), and they had no choice but to return fire. It was later discovered and information released that the bullet found in the police radio was a police issue bullet, and could only have been fired by a member of the police force. It was then reported that Mark Duggan was unarmed at the time of his death. After hearing this, his family and members of the community in Tottenham went to the police station and stood around outside demanding answers. After several hours it became clear they were being ignored, so several of the youths in the group set fire to some cars. Since then there have been dozens of reports of riots and looting in many cities across England - both as a protest against the killing of Mark Duggan and by opportunist criminals who are taking advantage of the riots to loot and smash up areas of the city. There have been multiple muggings, fires, and cases of houses and shops being smashed, as well as looted over the course of 3 days. Source.

• Timelapse footage of the fires in Tottenham:
  • Photos of Turkish community members in Dalston take to the streets to defend themselves. Source. The Guardian posted an interview with several community members who described how they are protecting their businesses.
  • Mark Stone reporting for Sky News, Clapham Junction looting and violence:

• Perhaps the most brutal video I have seen so far, gang of youths pretending to help another guy who is openly bleeding, then instead stealing his backpack. The boy has since been identified as a Malaysian student, Asyraf Haziq. Source.

Pictures from The Guardian, day 3 of the London Riots:

• Riots are also taking place in Birmingham, Bristol, and Liverpool.
  • Update:
    The Metropolitan Police has just issued an update on its current operations across London.
    It says 334 people have been arrested, 69 people were charged and two received cautions in connection with rioting and looting across the city.

I'm going to keep updating this post. This is kinda freaking me out so I'm probably not going to get much sleep tonight :(

Update

• Hulk Hogan weighs in on the UK riots:

#2 Posted by ryanwho (12012 posts) -

Is there a cause behind this? Please don't tell me its sport related.

#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11854 posts) -

Jesus Christ, I hate England. I hope there's some solid stories of police brutality after this.

#4 Posted by ucankurbaga (180 posts) -

Yes, it broke out after a protest over the fatal shooting by police of 29-year-old Mark Duggan on Thursday. He was a black guy. And now people are burning looting shops in other towns as well...

#5 Posted by SSully (4727 posts) -

I am just waiting for a debate to break out in this thread.

#6 Posted by Example1013 (4855 posts) -

Sounds like Spring Weekend.

#7 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2257 posts) -

I thought it wouldn't spread outside London but it already has in Birmingham, thank god I didn't go to work in the city today, all of this appears to be more based on pent up social repression over the years if anything.

#8 Posted by pieman32 (175 posts) -

Good, dont let the police get away with shit! There have to be repercussions to police brutality to send a message.  

#9 Posted by ninjakiller (3428 posts) -
#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -
@ucankurbaga said:
Yes, it broke out after a protest over the fatal shooting by police of 29-year-old Mark Duggan on Thursday. He was a black guy. And now people are burning looting shops in other towns as well...
I wish his name was Mark Lulz.
#11 Edited by Fattony12000 (7968 posts) -
#12 Edited by PeasForFees (2415 posts) -

It started when a "Gangster" was killed by police, I think people are also jumping on the bandwagon to just loot stuff however. 
That or Bale and Modric were sold.

#13 Edited by Falx (366 posts) -

@ninjakiller: i was gonna post that. I'll just post this link instead.

EDIT i'll also add this:

#14 Posted by babblinmule (1280 posts) -

Well its not as if we needed another reason to not go to London anyway....

#15 Posted by AlexW00d (6803 posts) -

I hate humanity.

#16 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3880 posts) -

@pieman32 said:

Good, dont let the police get away with shit! There have to be repercussions to police brutality to send a message.

If the cops had more guns, surely that would solve this little "riot" problem.

#17 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

It's the London L.A riots?

#18 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3858 posts) -

I'm so glad I live in a small town. Shit like this never happens here.

#19 Posted by damswedon (3222 posts) -

@ninjakiller: A bit on the nose there. I was gonna post London Calling.

#20 Posted by rawrsair (836 posts) -

I'm living pretty close to where all this is going down. It's crazy and the police need to be allowed to use force. There's fires everywhere.

Hope all the UK members from GB are safe and stuff!

#21 Edited by corruptsaves (280 posts) -

Lots of sirens outside. The police will prioritize responding to calls about people over property when stretched, which leaves local shop owners to defend their own standing outside with baseball bats. There is a lot of frustration but some people are just riding the band wagon to loot. Then post pictures online with all the essentials they can't live without like computer games and DVD's.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK04-IxxfIw

#22 Posted by mracoon (5087 posts) -

Hey guys, looking forward to the Olympics?

#23 Posted by Example1013 (4855 posts) -

@pieman32 said:

Good, dont let the police get away with shit! There have to be repercussions to police brutality to send a message.

You are a unique, special snowflake who is wise beyond his years. Please enlighten us with more of your wisdom.

#24 Posted by babblinmule (1280 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
It started when a "Gangster" was killed by police, I think people are also jumping on the bandwagon to just loot stuff however. That or Bale and Modric were sold.
Don't be silly - if both Bale and Modric were sold, then I'm pretty sure that the Tottenham area would be a smoking crater right about now.
#25 Posted by DougQuaid (1272 posts) -
@pieman32 said:
Good, dont let the police get away with shit! There have to be repercussions to police brutality to send a message.  

In other police brutality news, a homeless paranoid schizophrenic was literally beaten to death by police in Fullerton CA for allegedly trying to break into cars and then resisting arrest.

#26 Posted by Pinworm45 (4069 posts) -
@pieman32 said:
YEAH! SEND THEM A MESSAGE BY BURNING INNOCENT PEOPLES STORES AND ROBBING THEM! HURT THE INNOCENTS LIVELIHOOD! FURTHER HURT INNOCENT PEOPLE BY CAUSING TAX MONEY TO HAVE TO PAY FOR THE DAMAGE RATHER THAN HEALTHCARE OR FOOD OR SHELTER OR ANYTHING! FIGHT THE SYSTEM BROTHER!
#27 Posted by ryanwho (12012 posts) -

Those bystanders who are standing around and not intervening are like "oh man Im so gonna blog about this horrible thing I witnessed and didn't try to stop!"

#28 Posted by Vinny_Says (5911 posts) -

never heard of it....

#29 Posted by corruptsaves (280 posts) -
@babblinmule
Haha!
#30 Posted by damswedon (3222 posts) -

@pieman32: This stopped being about police brutality on Saturday night.

#31 Posted by Turambar (7258 posts) -
@DougQuaid said:

@pieman32 said:

In other police brutality news, a homeless paranoid schizophrenic was literally beaten to death by police in Fullerton CA for allegedly trying to break into cars and then resisting arrest.

IIRC, his own father is a sheriff's deputy.  The entire incident was actually caught on multiple cameras, both cell phones and even a bus security camera.
#32 Posted by Shitballs (20 posts) -

BIG UP SW9, BRAP! 

#33 Edited by EuanDewar (5155 posts) -

People on my Facebook are posting pictures so casually its kind of terrifying. Although one friend did joke about nicking some shoes so it all works out in the end...?

#34 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5290 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

Those bystanders who are standing around and not intervening are like "oh man Im so gonna blog about this horrible thing I witnessed and didn't try to stop!"

What would you do to try and stop unruly rioters?

#35 Posted by MattyFTM (14635 posts) -

I really don't understand how all this started. I know, the police shot a guy dead, there was a protest and all this madness started. But the guy who the police shot was a gun runner who was armed at the time. I mean, it seems like an open and shut case of the police doing their job. Yet somehow it has spiralled into this series of riots. It has got to say far more about other social factors (e.g. unemployment) than it does about a police shooting.

#36 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1231 posts) -

There is whole lot of versions why this is happening. What is your best guess?

#37 Posted by PeasForFees (2415 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@ryanwho said:

What would you do to try and stop unruly rioters?

1 person or a small group against swathes of armed idiots aren't going to do shit except be beaten to death.
#38 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2257 posts) -

all transport in and out of Birmingham has been shutdown, apparently the Children's Hospital has been targeted :(

#39 Posted by actionTACO (497 posts) -

because its likely the police shot their own radio, planted evidence, and fabricated the whole "exchange of fire" thing. 

so yea, police doing their job, basically.

#40 Posted by Falx (366 posts) -
#41 Posted by rawrsair (836 posts) -

@RhombusOfTerror said:

all transport in and out of Birmingham has been shutdown, apparently the Children's Hospital has been targeted :(

What the hell. What pricks

#42 Edited by ape_dosmil (515 posts) -
@pieman32 said:

We don't know what exactly happened with Mark Duggan, it may be that the metropolitan police are culpable. But that has fuck all to do with this. It's kids taking the opportunity to loot and cause mayhem. My brother and his family live in Croydon, where some of the worst rioting is happening tonight. There are mostly commercial premises on fire, but also fires which have spread to residential buildings, which may cause a real risk to life. If you think any of this is justified you're a fucking idiot.
#43 Posted by Jeust (11571 posts) -

Anarchy...

#44 Posted by actionTACO (497 posts) -

BLACK BLOC BRUTE BRUTALIZE BRAVE BOBBIES!

#45 Posted by ChickenPants (931 posts) -

I hope all the fuckers who are just jumping on the bandwagon and looting helpless local businesses are all hunted the fuck down. I know they won't be but godamn I hate them, scum of the earth.

Now that I think about it, the sort of behaviour being displayed by people safe in the anonymity of large group rioting is pretty similar to standard internet dickishness we are exposed to everyday.

#46 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5098 posts) -

These riots seem pretty unnecessary.  This started because the police shot a criminal?

#47 Posted by Turambar (7258 posts) -
@actionTACO said:
BLACK BLOC BRUTE BRUTALIZE BRAVE BOBBIES!
How does looting stores do anything other than cause more police crack down?
#48 Posted by Benny (2007 posts) -

The PM's calling a meeting with COBRA to resolve the situation

Cabinet office briefing room A, what an awesome name for a room.

#49 Posted by Toms115 (2325 posts) -

i want to leave the united kingdom and live in the middle of nowhere by myself. sick of this shit.

#50 Posted by FourWude (2274 posts) -

RIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

KICK OFF MOFO'S

It's all going to shit.