• 57 results
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

Ever been in one? How'd it go? Maybe in my future is one, it's a strong possibility. Just want to hear how your experience is going/went. I've already braced myself for, "Avoid at all costs."

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By recroulette

Really, if you have ANY doubts, chances are it is going to fail.
You really gotta commit to it. It's stressful as hell, you're always worrying.

A better way to go about it would be "If we happen to still be single when we meet then we will go out"

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Someone's gonna cheat on someone else and lie about it.....all downhill from there. Avoid at all costs.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FlyingRat

I'm in one at the moment. Going strong for a year now. A bit more than two weeks of which have been spent together in the physical sense. It's tough. It's really, REALLY tough. But it can definetly be done. If you're both fully commited. I mean if you're already in love with someone then there's not a whole lot you can do about it, but definetly don't go looking for one. It's way, way too tough for that.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Afroman269
@RecSpec said:
"If we happen to still be single when we meet then we will go out" "
Basically this. I nearly got into one but we changed our minds the week before I moved. Doing something like that takes real commitment and it's better not to be tied down when you have chances to meet new people while you're young, IMO.
iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iSylence

I can't recommend them, was in one once, didn't go well.

Edit: doesn't mean they can't, but it seems that quite often they don't unfortunately.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By manhattan_project

I'm was almost in one. Decided to cut it off though. 

Mind if I ask why?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

Long distance relationships suck. I never want to have another one.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

It's not worth it.  I tried it...and even sex over the cellphone got dull.  I'd just pretend to be into it and I think she was too...would be surprised if she was cooking or some shit while we were trying it. 

It's not worth it, just move on.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jesus

It takes a lot of effort to keep it going.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FlyingRat

God, the fucking pessimism in this thread from a bunch of sad losers. Listen man, a long distance relationship can be extremely rewarding, it may be hard, but it's worth it.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karl_Boss

Avoid at all costs.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By scarace360
@KaosAngel: I dont think you can stick your dick through a phone. If you want to prove me wrong do so.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Fallen189

They're good if you've met them before.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nrain

I'm in one at the moment and it's not ideal, but if you really like the person then it's worth it.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
@scarace360 said:
" @KaosAngel: I dont think you can stick your dick through a phone. If you want to prove me wrong do so. "
I'd post something but it breaks the TOS.  :| 

Speaking of long-distance, I'm watching some movie called Long Distance with a buddy tomorrow so it shall be interesting. 

She didn't want to watch Machete.  :(
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17  Edited By Sin4profit

If you've met this person IN person before and all the insecurities you two could have are behind you then it should be fine...probably even better then local if the both of you enjoy your free time.
But if it's some weird internet relationship and you're both creating weird ideologies of each other, then yeah, it could turn ta shit real fast.

eternalrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eternalrift

Make sure you really want it, because it is going to take a lot of trust. If it works, it can be awesome. Of course, you always hope your long-distance partner doesn't cheat on you and dump you on Christmas. That one hurts...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Red12b
@Vinchenzo:  
Depends on the distance. 

It sucks man,  And it's worse if you don't fully trust the other person,  
Unless there is something there and it isn't lust, and you have been in a good relationship for awhile, then I'd advise against it, doesn't mean you cant be friends with that person,  

You both have to think about what's best, But dude, unless you have a child together or you have been together for ages and there is actually something there don't do it.  
Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#20  Edited By Dimsey

I think what it comes down to is how long a distance we're talking here and how easy it would be for you to close said gap.
I was in one for a long-ass time, but that gap could not be closed for various reasons. Anyhow if you go for it I hope you have better luck then I did.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By Yummylee

Not for the paranoid or anyone who is the little bit susceptible to stress.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MarkWahlberg

It certainly makes for a much-relied on plot device, at least.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HS21
@Rezonator said:
" I was In a long distance relationship for about 3 years and it worked out pretty fine but we kinda just grew apart once I started college but we are still good friends now and see each other every now and again I wouldn't avoid a long distance relationship just make sure your fully prepared for alot of travel and most of all just have trust for your partner "
Yeah...with that avatar, I read your entire post as if you were talking about your hamster. 
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By nickux

Me and my girlfriend have been in one and it was very difficult but, in the end, completely worth it. I know it's stupid to get serious on forums but if you're with the person you truly love then you can make anything possible. It's difficult being away from the one you care about but I always just felt the need to try harder- especially when we saw each other. It always just reaffirmed what I already knew- it was worth it. Now things are great. Of course now she's going to Spain for 3 months to study abroad (D'oh!) so we're going long distance again but thankfully it's not for too long and our relationship is stronger than ever. 

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By scarace360
@KaosAngel: Dude fuck her go see machete.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
@scarace360 said:
" @KaosAngel: Dude fuck her go see machete. "
Machete alone while she watches Long Distance "alone" around the same time?   Sounds like the most ironic date...for the situation.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fallen189 said:
" They're good if you've met them before. "
Actually a pretty significant point, and a distinction that needs to be made.  

I think the viability of a long-distance relationship is a lot better if the relationship itself started whilst the two parties were together in person. For fairly obvious reasons: trust issues are usually less of a concern, since the two of you (ought to) know each other pretty well beforehand. Moreover, it's just easier to relate and care about a person you have been with in person. The thing is real already, in this case, and it's more a matter of keeping your partner's spirits up.  

Otherwise, you're dealing with a relationship that is founded on very little tangible knowledge. If you've not met the person in real life, and haven't seen how they are in their native social habitats, or know for yourself their idiosyncratic personality traits with other people, it's difficult (but not impossible, mind) to stay totally positive about the outcome of the thing. There's a sort of creeping doubt involved. And that is exactly the sort of toxin that can damage the relationship early, before it ever comes into fruition. 

Either way, long-distance relationships are particularly stressful. It's tough not being able to see the person and go out on the town with them, much less hold and kiss and all that romantic jive, too. But if you really like the person, and you feel they like you back, and the two of you are both willing to try these ropes, then I'd argue it's probably more satisfying than no relationship at all, if that's what you're looking for.  
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Daveyo520

I have been. She was in CA me here on the east coast. It was going kinda ok for a bit, but ended badly. You can't be physical and just being close to someone means a lot. After the experience I don't believe they can work.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ptc

I had one for two years, and I'm glad to say it worked.  We're married now (have been for over 10 years!).  It was painful at times, but when we were together we focused on each other because we knew it was only a short time that we had together before the next stretch of apart.  The hardest thing was when we finally moved in together.  We were used to seeing each other in short bursts.  It was an adjustment.  Those things you didn't have time to fight about when you were only seeing each other two days every month, well, you have the time to fight about them when you go full time.  But if things are strong you'll sort it all out.  We did.  But based on the comments here, it sounds like I'm in the minority.  I say give it ago.  It could work out just like it worked out for me.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Snipzor
@ptc said:
" I had one for two years, and I'm glad to say it worked.  We're married now (have been for over 10 years!).  It was painful at times, but when we were together we focused on each other because we knew it was only a short time that we had together before the next stretch of apart.  The hardest thing was when we finally moved in together.  We were used to seeing each other in short bursts.  It was an adjustment.  Those things you didn't have time to fight about when you were only seeing each other two days every month, well, you have the time to fight about them when you go full time.  But if things are strong you'll sort it all out.  We did.  But based on the comments here, it sounds like I'm in the minority.  I say give it ago.  It could work out just like it worked out for me. "
Just letting you know, this made me feel really warm and fuzzy inside. Thank you.
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WickedFather

Been in one for over ten years and I like it that way.  I live with her for months at a time but I'm a nomad at heart and need to have time by myself.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Kazona

I wasn't going to reply to this at first, since I figured it's no one's bussiness, but I really want to give my two cents about long distance relationships since I am in one myself. 

Let's first make one thing very clear: it is hard. At times almost unbearably so. I live in Europe, while she lives in the US. This means I only get to see her once or twice a year, and leaving becomes harder every single time. It also doesn't help that I want to get a visa, but we keep coming accross speedbumbs that hinder that goal. If it were any other person, I would have thrown in the towel a year ago. 

But it's not any other person. She is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. And if it means going through hell to get to that point, then so be it. Some may call me stupid, or claim that I am clinging on to false hope, but there is no doubt in my mind that she is the one, and I will fight tooth-and-nail to get that visa, marry her, and live my life with her until I die. 

The point I'm trying to make is, it all depends on how strongly you feel about the person. If you are absolutely sure about your relationship, and are without doubt about wanting to be with that person, then you absolutely can overcome all the hardships that come with it. If there is doubt, or your feelings for each other just aren't strong enough, then it will ultimately fail. But personally, I think that in that case the relationship would fail even if the relationship wasn't long distance. 

In my case, failure is not an option. 

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By grilledcheez

They typically don't work from what I've seen on Facebook

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scarace360
@KaosAngel: lol it would be but sersly try to convince her to see it.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

i don't think they work all that well. one person can be busy when the other one wants to chat.

Kiera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kiera

Long distance. Tried it. Got cheated on. Over it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pics plz

Kiera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kiera
@KaosAngel said:
"It's not worth it.  I tried it...and even sex over the cellphone got dull.  I'd just pretend to be into it and I think she was too...would be surprised if she was cooking or some shit while we were trying it.  It's not worth it, just move on. "

If you're creative and passionate about your lover on the other end of the line, i dont see how that can get dull at all.
joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

They suck. Don't do it. Unless you are married of course.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hot_Karl

Everyone here makes just about the same valid points. If you and your significant other are not absolutely, 100% committed to making things work, it won't work. Once someone stops putting forth effort, the whole thing falls apart. It's much easier to have a casual relationship than a strong long-distance relationship, just about anyone can tell you that.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Enjoy your breakup. 

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I take a practical view on relationships.  It is hypothetically possible to have a "long distance relationship", but I find that the nature of mutual gain doesn't favor long distances, especially when you're young.  You can't share much of anything because you're too far apart (one benefit is "We only need to buy one copy of game X when it comes out").

I think a long distance relationship that is condemned to being long distance without a visible end is doomed to fail.  I also think that too much time spent separately will contribute to people growing apart.

I largely think they don't work because it undermines too much of what a "relationship" fundamentally is, but if it's "only for a little while" you might try it.  I told my girlfriend (now ex-girlfriend) years ago that I didn't think long distance relationships worked and I wouldn't be in one myself, and my views haven't changed much.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By habster3

This is what I think of them: 

FUCKING THING SUCKS!
FUCKING THING SUCKS!
Remedy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Remedy25

Through my experience long distance relationships don't work, but that's just me. 

A few varying factions have to be taken into consideration beforehand, those include the obvious...how long is long and for how long? The other would be, how long you've been dating and what kinda of relationship you have, physical or otherwise. I think for a long distance relationship to work requires a certain amount of sacrifice and commitment from both parties.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By RichardLOlson

Long distance relationships suck and I will never try it again.  Temptation is a bitch and to many times I wanted to sleep with someone and had to remind myself that I was with someone who was 4 hours away from me.  I couldn't stand the temptation and decided to end it before it got any deeper.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Goldanas

I've done it. We were at a distance for a few years time. At one point, we were divided by a continent and an ocean. We're still going strong, and now much closer together. 

If you love a person, and know that you'll be together again, long distance relationships are a piece of cake. I had no trouble with it. There were times when we would miss each other or be forlorn, but it never got in the way of our happiness of being together. 

@RecSpec said:

" Really, if you have ANY doubts, chances are it is going to fail."
As this man says, you should really consider your relationship.
Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Nasos100

i think the randomness of the threads here is a bit too much

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 02sfraser

If you have doubts it will never work. My advice is don't doubt it in any way, shape or form. I'm about to enter one so wish me luck. Hope things work out for you

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FunExplosions

Lol. You mean long-distance scandals, lies, and building tension? Yeah, horrible idea. Probably works for one out of every 100 people... and that's usually because one person cheated on the other... but the other person was extremely trusting. 

Why the sudden urge to ask this question, though?

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ryax

tried it. not worth it at all