• 142 results
#1 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

What's the longest you guys have gone without sleep? I'm not talking like longest you've went without a full night of sleep, or about that one week you only got like 4 hours. I mean longest you've gone without any sleep, while staying active and going about your day(s) as you would normally.

I suspect my fellow college students will have some pretty unhealthy numbers. I'm currently approaching 72 hours without even laying down due to exams anxiety of getting my MCAT score back (keep your fingers crossed y'all), and I keep seeing things out of the corner of my eye and I am definitely feeling about as intelligent as a brick right now. SO, I was just wondering how much damage you guys and gals have done to your brain by making the stupid stupid decision not to sleep.

#2 Posted by Aetheldod (3552 posts) -

No more than 26 to 27 hours at most .... I´ve been lucky in that regard

#3 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I think like 2 days.

#4 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

I feel like this will just be another e-penis thread. As a side note: you're not going to last 72 hours without sleep and not hallucinate your shit off.
#5 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

49 hours. Worst fucking 49 hours of my life. Will never do that shit again.

#6 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

@CaptainCody said:

I feel like this will just be another e-penis thread. As a side note: you're not going to last 72 hours without sleep and not hallucinate your shit off.

this

#7 Posted by swamplord666 (1758 posts) -

36 hours for me. by the end i was watching lost (god knows why), fell asleep and could not be woken up for a full 15 minutes. but as long as i'm actively doing something active, I should be able to do more i think

#8 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

@CaptainCody: I'm in my dorm and I keep seeing things moving out of the corner of my eye but, of course, there's nothing there.

Not gonna lie....kinda freakin' me out

#9 Posted by Trylks (829 posts) -

@CaptainCody said:

Hallucinations happen at the 6th day, although they may happen before.

I think I was for 3 days without sleep, but I don't remember that time very well, at the end the rug was moving in funny ways, then I decided that was too much.

An interesting experience I'll do my best to never repeat. More than an e-penis, this is a "how stupid can you get to be?" Because, seriously, a big penis is a good thing, but not sleeping is a very bad and stupid thing to do.

#10 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

This past weekend I was up for 56 straight hours. Something came up and we were allowed to move sooner that we had originally planned. So I was packing and moving all day for two straight days and working all night because I my work wouldn't let me take off to move on such short notice. I drank so many energy drinks and I am normally a caffeine free. It was a pretty rough weekend to say the least.

#11 Posted by CountMacula (234 posts) -

40 hours to meet the deadline of my MSc thesis. Needed to get more done, but my brain totally failed at putting a sentence together for 10 minutes so I figured I was past the point of diminishing returns. Worked out in the end though.

#12 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

Probably no longer than 18 hours.

#13 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

12 hours... Yeah, I like sleep too much to ever skip it.

#14 Posted by SHADOWINFINITE (545 posts) -

1 day.

#15 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

@Jams said:

12 hours... Yeah, I like sleep too much to ever skip it.

living the dream....literally. ohhhhh, see that wasn't even funny but I'm so out of it, that I can actually convince myself that it was.

#16 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1593 posts) -

About 3 days and then I passed out.

I felt horrible.

#17 Posted by Maluvin (265 posts) -

Something like 36 hours. Definitely trippy and I do not recommend it at all.

#18 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

5 minutes.

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Two days, I guess. Wasn't exactly functioning well that day.

#20 Posted by theredcoat24 (218 posts) -

2 days, I stayed up to do college work and at the cost of being half-lucid in my U.S History class and rambling till people thought I was high and a girl told me to shut up lol

#21 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

Probably something between 2 and 3 days.

#22 Posted by Aegon (5493 posts) -

Pretty sure there are a bunch of other threads about this. Hmm...I think maybe a bit over 70 hours. Not too sure. 

#23 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -
@CaptainCody said:
What? I don't know anyone but middle schoolers who would brag about staying up the latest. I don't think we're that immature. 

The longest I've stayed up for is probably something like 36 hours. Fucking school.
#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Almost a year. Man, that was one crazy year. I almost blew up the Earth and everything.

#25 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

20 hours? Maybe? I'm a senior in college and have never had to pull a true "all-nighter" because I A) am not an idiot, and B) don't panic when it comes to exams.

#26 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

23 hours, i didn't feel like sleeping. i got bored so i went to bed. i woke up at 6am and then hung out went home, and posted here.

#27 Posted by Jaize (46 posts) -

I'm an insomniac, my brain often fails to cycle through to delta wave sleep. It sucks. Which is why I'm British and posting at 5:30am.

There was once a time when I went 7 and a half days without sleeping, I really tried but I just couldn't. On the 5th day I started vomiting and seeing flashing lights, by the 7th day I was having full out auditory and visual hallucinations. By the 8th day I was taken to hospital where they gave me happy drugs that made me all sleepsie.

72 hours without sleep is a long time, obviously not normal for you.

You don't know how lucky you are.

#28 Posted by buzz_clik (6969 posts) -

3 days, maybe a bit more. Hallucinating at the end of it, but that was part of the fun.

#29 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

Around 30 hours.

#30 Posted by JoeyRavn (4965 posts) -

Around 48 hours. I never have problems studying, it's really easy for me, and my marks are consistently pretty high in all classes, but man. I lose it when it's time for exams. My perfectionism is unhealthy. I can stay up all night examining myself, creating possible exam questions, correcting my notes... Last year of college, though :)

#31 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

Fifty hours on prescription amphetamine. Sincerely not recommended.

#32 Edited by McShank (1629 posts) -

little over 2 days., once i hit the 50 hour mark, everything seemed boring, i couldnt concentrate, caffine wasnt working and taking a shower just made me want to sleep more.. Fuck World of warcraft and its "Server First" achievments.. I had missed level 85 hunter / blood elf by a mere 8 minutes.. 8 MINUTES.. i was so pissed i slept for almost 20 hours.. ( I had made the mistake of getting up early the day before launch to get prepared and forgot to sleep before it came it came out.. Such a bad idea.

#33 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Used to have insomnia, worst it got without a wink of sleep was probably 3 nights, with a very early wake up before that and a late night after. Not really sure how long it was, but it was pretty terrible. Till I got some sympathy "attention" from my lady at the time.

#34 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

The longest I've gone without sleep was about 48 hours when I was a kid. I've had insomnia for most of my life though and I've had quite a few weeks with only 5-10 hours of sleep... those suck.

#35 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

~70 hours with 3 friends trying to get to level 85 ASAP when World of Warcraft: Cataclysm came out.

What a waste. (we did all hit 85, though)

It was fun at the time...I guess. I wasn't just sat playing the entire time, I did stop to eat and went out for a Subway.

#36 Edited by nixatron (126 posts) -

at my highschool, we have this thing called bike-a-thon. we all set up stationary bikes and ride to raise money for cancer. we all hang it with friends and play video games in the school during class, while this is going on. anyway that event lasts 48 hours and during it i went no less than 30 hours without sleeping. i know kids who went the entire thing without sleeping though, so at least 54 for them.

Edit:also why are you going to Michigan St? the good School is called Michigan. Just Michigan. No St.

#37 Posted by ZombieSpace (286 posts) -

cocain is a hell of a drug..

#38 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

35 hours, I was dead on my feet. 

#39 Edited by Obsidian (346 posts) -

@nixatron said:

at my highschool, we have this thing called bike-a-thon. we all set up stationary bikes and ride to raise money for cancer. we all hang it with friends and play video games in the school during class, while this is going on. anyway that event lasts 48 hours and during it i went no less than 30 hours without sleeping. i know kids who went the entire thing without sleeping though, so at least 54 for them.

Edit:also why are you going to Michigan St? the good School is called Michigan. Just Michigan. No St.

/sarcasm Clearly everyone in the state of Michigan should go to the University of Michigan... every single one of them; I'm sure that would work out great.

Michigan State is a good school and it's immature and pointless for anyone to criticize someone for attending. This is coming from someone with family that attended the University of Michigan and grew up adoring the school btw. Grow the fuck up.

#40 Posted by Matrixfart (11 posts) -

Probably no more than 3 days or so. During the military.

#41 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Probably like 3 days during the summer when me and my friend had a competition to see who could stay up the longest.

@SpartyOn:

Good luck with those scores. I know that anxiety feeling, there is nothing worse in the world.

#42 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Pretty sure I stayed up around 50 hours once when waiting for flights that kept getting canceled and so on.

#43 Posted by nixatron (126 posts) -

@Obsidian: whoa. lets calm down. harmless teasing between two rival schools.

#44 Posted by harinosho (594 posts) -

3 days.. yeah..did not feel good after that

#45 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

3 days. Blacked out. Not recommended.

Usually only stay up day and a half tops.

#46 Posted by Veektarius (4771 posts) -

48 hrs. Thanks to EQ 1.

#47 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

52 hours leading up to New Year's Day in '97. It sounds awful, but at a certain point I just became numb to everything. These days, I'm ready to pass out the moment I get home from work.

#48 Posted by Ragnarok512 (161 posts) -

Probably no more that 30. I like sleep.

#49 Posted by stalefishies (331 posts) -

When live stuff on Giant Bomb happens late on the West Coast, like the Not Like This finale and the E3 podcasts, it ends up very early in the morning in the UK, so I sometimes stay up to watch them, leading me to not sleep for 36 hours or so.

Though I've only ever done it during holidays etc. when I'd have no repercussions for ruining my sleep schedule for the sake of dumb internet video.

#50 Posted by supermike6 (3557 posts) -

Wow, this is really relevant because I just accidentally went a whole night without sleep and now I'm going to school and it feels super weird.

As for my longest, it was like 36 hours or something like that, and I wrote a science exam at about the 30 hour mark (I did surprisingly well).