• 0 results
#1 Posted by quantumshift5 (415 posts) -

I enjoy reading and lately Ive been trying to find a new book to buy but can't find one. Can anyone recommend any book, I dont care what kind of book it is as long as its kickass:)
#2 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Metro 2033, if you can find it.

#3 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Pimp by Iceberg Slim.

#4 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2052 posts) -
The Hunger Games.

I recently read this and it's sequel and enjoyed them both. The 3rd book is coming out this August.

#5 Posted by ch3burashka (5037 posts) -

The Bible is pretty good.

#6 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

The Otherland series is a huge investment of time. But so worth it. 

#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

The Bible

#8 Posted by ozzdog12 (859 posts) -

The Angel of Darkness of The Alienist by Caleb Carr

#9 Posted by Grilledcheez (3946 posts) -

The Koran

#10 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Twilight

#11 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
#12 Posted by Afflack (11 posts) -
@natetodamax: I'm half way through Metro 2033 and I have to admit it is everything you could possibly ask for from a book, lots of adventure :P And the translation is quiet good might I add.
#13 Posted by NeoGecko (151 posts) -

Hitchhikers guide, if you haven't read it.   

#14 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -
@Afflack said:
" @natetodamax: I'm half way through Metro 2033 and I have to admit it is everything you could possibly ask for from a book, lots of adventure :P And the translation is quiet good might I add. "
I've been looking for it for a while. Did you get it off Amazon or something?
#15 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

Master and the Margarita

#16 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -
@NeoGecko said:
" Hitchhikers guide, if you haven't read it.    "
this
#17 Posted by hinderk (685 posts) -
#18 Edited by Driadon (2997 posts) -

Depends what you want. I'm almost through Metro 2033 and cannot recommend it ENOUGH! It is one of the best books I have read in quite some time. If you want something more fantasy focused, look into the Demontech series. It's a very uniquely written set of books, and a personal favorite.

#19 Edited by Azrail (404 posts) -

imajica by clive barker
 epic book, with unique plot   

and its actually literature unlike half the other recommendations 

#20 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

The Call of the Wild. Everyone should read this book at least once.

#21 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

In all seriousness, The Star Is My Destination is a good read

#22 Posted by ashriels (156 posts) -
#23 Posted by lovecreep (166 posts) -

the stand by stephan king but if you have already read that go for dr.blood money by philp k dick.
#24 Edited by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

In Cold Blood.  Phenomenal. 
The Dexter series is a lot of fun. 
The Road and No Country For Old Men are challenging reads, but very good if you can get through Cormac McCarthy's bizarre writing style.

#25 Posted by Cloneslayer (1626 posts) -
#26 Posted by Alphonzo (756 posts) -

#27 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -
@AgentofChaos said:
" @NeoGecko said:
this "
This is a must read!
#28 Posted by Turduken (168 posts) -

Lullaby or Rant by Chuck Palahniuk (or anything else by him really, but those are my favs).  Tell-All came out today, waiting for it to get here.

#29 Posted by Cloneslayer (1626 posts) -
@Brunchies said:
" @AgentofChaos said:
" @NeoGecko said:
this "
This is a must read! "
quoted for truth
#30 Posted by Siris (432 posts) -

If you're looking for an action-packed novel that's extremely well written and one of the best sci-fi novels ever made.. then definitely check out Armor by John Steakley.

#31 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" Metro 2033, if you can find it. "
I can not find it anywhere. I wanna read it as well. 
#32 Posted by ashriels (156 posts) -
@DrPockets000 said:
" In Cold Blood.  Phenomenal. The Dexter series is a lot of fun. The Road and No Country For Old Men are challenging reads, but very good if you can get through Cormac McCarthy's bizarre writing style. "
Oh my god, I thought that was just me.  I have The Road and it's so hard to get through.  The subject matter is cool, but shit, his writing voice is damn near intolerable!
#33 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

I'm currently reading A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan. If fighting (as a sport) has ever interested you, this book is awesome. The writer starts off by pushing himself through a brutal Muay Thai camp in Thailand, then joins up with Pat Militich's MMA camp, then heads down to train with Brazilian Top Team in Brazil, Learn Tai Chi in New York, Boxing in Oakland, and generally gets hardcore training from the best people in the world. It's a really interesting look at the life of a professional fighter, regardless of discipline. Highly recommended.

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (11943 posts) -

#35 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

The new Starcraft book looks pretty good. I've heard a few people like it. 

Obviously I don't know if you are into Starcraft Lore but if you are you might want to look into it.
  http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000962

Also the 'Tomorrow when the war began' series by John Marsden is always a good bet if you haven't had a look at those:
  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Tomorrow+when+the+war+began&x=0&y=0

#36 Posted by Defias (169 posts) -

World War Z, and the Zombie Survival Guide. I also hear that Life of Pi is very good

#37 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -
@AgentofChaos said:
" @NeoGecko said:
this "
You have got to love a trilogy in five parts.
#38 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

house of leaves, johnny got his gun, twilight....( ;)  )

#39 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

#40 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

Guards! Guards! by Terry Prachett
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 

#41 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

House of Leaves. It's literally straight-up insane!

Also, for more traditional craziness, Cell by Stephen King is a pretty nifty zombie apocalypse (with a whole lot of twists).

#42 Posted by Afflack (11 posts) -
@natetodamax: Nope, but if you really want a link to it send me a private message. :o
#43 Edited by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -
@ashriels said:

" @DrPockets000 said:

" In Cold Blood.  Phenomenal. The Dexter series is a lot of fun. The Road and No Country For Old Men are challenging reads, but very good if you can get through Cormac McCarthy's bizarre writing style. "
Oh my god, I thought that was just me.  I have The Road and it's so hard to get through.  The subject matter is cool, but shit, his writing voice is damn near intolerable! "
Yes, I'm not sure why he writes like that, but I can promise that it is very rewarding if you can make it all the way through. 
@EpicSteve said:
"
"
And this.  Can't believe I forgot this.
#44 Posted by RedneckedCrake (311 posts) -

Oryx and Crake. No one has lived until they've read it.

#45 Posted by ShaolinSpade (159 posts) -

The Terror by Dan Simmons. its super amazing. 

#46 Posted by Penelope (225 posts) -

I have been reading fantasy as well as a healthy dose of other genre's my entire life. I can say without a moment of hesitation that The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin is the best thing I or anyone else will ever read.  

The first book is titled: A Game of Thrones

Song of Ice and Fire 

Song of Ice and Fire 

Song of Ice and Fire

SONG OF ICE AND FIRE!!!

#47 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

The Dune series
The first several books from the Dragonlance series (the Chronicles trilogy, the Legends trilogy)
The Dark Tower series
The Stand
Atlas Shrugged
Clockwork Orange

#48 Edited by x_XJules (303 posts) -

No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July (collection of short stories). Also, anything by Jincy Willett.  

Edit: Also also, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. This book has a diagram of optimal settings for sliding across wooden floors in your socks. 

#49 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Twilight "
I'm not even fucking being sarcastic about this. The first Twilight book is actually very entertaining. Corny, cheesy, ridiculous- yes, yes and yes. But it's still a very entertaining read.
#50 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

American Psycho will keep you busy long after you've read it.