#1 Edited by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Hey guys ^^

I love these kinds of entertainment - movies, books and games (music too!)

I'm looking for a community that combines those interests, but I haven't found one yet. Like, where you can comment on and rate titles and add them to a list, get in touch with others through forums and groups, stuff like that.

I'm currently in three different communities - GiantBomb for games, Moviepilot for movies and Buchgesichter for books. But that's kinda annoying, I don't want to go to three different sites.

Does anyone know a site that's similar to GiantBomb but is about all kinds of entertainment, not only games? I don't know a lot about all the communities out there...

Thanks in advance! :)

#2 Posted by Humanity (9015 posts) -

@morrow: Only thing I can think of are the SomethingAwful forums that have very dedicated communities to movies, books and games. Last I checked there was no Wiki and they do have some pretty strict rules about conduct on the forums, but that only leads to more civil discussion and almost no pointless threads.

So if you are looking for good communities with knowledgeable people then that would be a safe bet. You just won't get a lot of the fluff in terms of lists and such.

#3 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@humanity:

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not really what I'm looking for... I want the fluff! :D

#4 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

I guess a place like that doesn't exist... ._.

#5 Posted by Daveyo520 (6676 posts) -

Well there is reddit. You can subscribe to all of the subreddits for things you have interests in.

#6 Posted by Humanity (9015 posts) -

@morrow said:

I guess a place like that doesn't exist... ._.

It will always exist.. in our hearts..

#7 Posted by TobbRobb (4588 posts) -

That seems like a fantasy land. Hanging on different sites isn't that bad though right?

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3527 posts) -
#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -
#11 Edited by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

@morrow: Best you probably just post what you want in the off topic forums, imo you wont find a nicer gamer community than giantbomb.

#12 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

avclub.com covers just about everything - they don't have forums, I think, but depending on what the article's on, their comments sections can be actually kind of interesting, and not just, y'know. Poop.

Also half the articles read like Navarro wrote them, so that's always fun.

#13 Posted by Humanity (9015 posts) -
@mrfluke said:

@morrow: Best you probably just post what you want in the off topic forums, imo you wont find a nicer gamer community than giantbomb.

Ehhh...

#14 Edited by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

@humanity said:
@mrfluke said:

Ehhh...

Ha, the FORUM community of giantbomb is the nicest ive seen (just remember the comments under that blog post that the user artemistia made, that was incredible)

the COMMENTS community of giantbomb is a different story

forgot to make the distinction :P

#15 Posted by Humanity (9015 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@humanity said:
@mrfluke said:

Ehhh...

Ha, the FORUM community of giantbomb is the nicest ive seen (just remember the comments under that blog post that the user artemistia made, that was incredible)

Well I had sent @morrow a beautiful bouquet of red roses with a list of books that I think she would really enjoy.

In addition I attached a mix tape of songs and a hand written poem:

Roses are red

violets are blue,

Spec Ops is rad

and so are you

but then I also attached a three page tirade of how Patrick should leave the site, how Brad sucks at games, how Jeff is holding back Endurance Runs to spite the community, how every 5 star review has been bribed by a publisher and generally how they're all fucking liars - you know just to even things out.

#16 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

Please don't leave giantbomb, without you then the only girl left is @sparklykiss and perhaps @video_game_king (but im not too sure about that.)

But honestly, i have never found a better community then giantbomb, as dickish as it can get sometimes. It is still worlds above the rest.

#17 Posted by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

@humanity said:

@mrfluke said:

@humanity said:
@mrfluke said:

Ehhh...

Well I had sent @morrow a beautiful bouquet of red roses with a list of books that I think she would really enjoy.

In addition I attached a mix tape of songs and a hand written poem:

Roses are red

violets are blue,

Spec Ops is rad

and so are you

but then I also attached a three page tirade of how Patrick should leave the site, how Brad sucks at games, how Jeff is holding back Endurance Runs to spite the community, how every 5 star review has been bribed by a publisher and generally how they're all fucking liars - you know just to even things out.

just goes to show that humanity isn't so black and white as people like to say (ill leave it up to you to figure out who that comment refers to :P)

on a off topic side note, really wished patrick trolled his haters and announced that he was leaving the site today, obviously not just do that today, but build it up to a fake reveal today.

#18 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Giant Bombs off topic.

#20 Edited by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

Please don't leave giantbomb, without you then the only girl left is @sparklykiss and perhaps @video_game_king (but im not too sure about that.)

But honestly, i have never found a better community then giantbomb, as dickish as it can get sometimes. It is still worlds above the rest.

its funny to me how much of a maniac you guys make out video game king to be, ive been here since july of 08 and only have decided to spend my time in the forums recently, he doesnt seem like the lunatic that people say he is :P.

#23 Posted by Slag (4222 posts) -

@morrow: I don't know if they are quite that since they area retailer, but I actually Amazon offers a lot of that functionality (multimedia, lists, comments). Not quite the same I know.

I know they just bought goodreads.com, which is in some ways similar to a Giantbomb community for books minus the paid personalties. My guess is part of the reason they bought goodreads is that they (Amazon) are building like something what you want right now.

never thought about it until you mentioned it, but it is kind of amazing that something like what you asked for doesn't seem to really exist yet.

#24 Edited by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Thanks for your answers! ^^

#25 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@morrow said:

Moviepilot for movies

You just made me sign up to that site for nothing! There's no database, no list making, I can't find old movies, it just lets you follow upcoming movies! Dafuq? Explain yourself :D

#26 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@morrow said:

Moviepilot for movies

You just made me sign up to that site for nothing! There's no database, no list making, I can't find old movies, it just lets you follow upcoming movies! Dafuq? Explain yourself :D

I don't think we're talking about the same site... I'm on moviepilot.de :)

#27 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3154 posts) -

Screened...? Haha I don't know.

#28 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@morrow said:

@officegamer said:

@morrow said:

Moviepilot for movies

I don't think we're talking about the same site... I'm on moviepilot.de :)

Dang, Ich nech speak Deutch.

Translation: I don't speak German

#29 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

You shouldn't have much trouble with finding someone that likes what you like here and talk about it. Many of us here like games, movies, music, books and such.

#30 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

RoosterTeeth?