Looking for a headset

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tariqari

I'm looking to buy a new headset within the price range of 0-$50, preferably through Amazon. Any good recommendations?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

Why yes! There just so happens to be a headset exactly at 0$! It's right on amazon can't miss it! But in actuality. What type? Ps3 Xbox pc or other?

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tariqari

@SexyToad: Sweet! and to think I almost put a realistic starting point!

For PC.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Example1013

Just grab a $40 logitech USB headset. Clearly they're not super-amazing awesome noise isolation surround sound whatever shit, but they're cheap and the sound is quite good for the price.

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Example1013
mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mitsuko_souma

How often will you use it? If just occasionally, Id go for a cheapie $20 or less rocketfish headset.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tariqari

Well I've gone through $20 and $30 headsets pretty quickly, maybe a few months if I'm lucky. Usually something falls off or on the ears stops working.

I'll be using it daily for narration purposes. I already own a desk mic but I want something that's convenient for gaming. How are wireless headsets? Are they reliable? require batteries? I realize that might be upping the price but I want something of good quality and durability.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By EthanielRain

@tariqari said:

Well I've gone through $20 and $30 headsets pretty quickly, maybe a few months if I'm lucky. Usually something falls off or on the ears stops working.

I'd really recommend getting a nice pair instead. I burned through cheapies for years and years...I bought a nice pair a few years ago and will never go back.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By PeezMachine

@EthanielRain said:

@tariqari said:

I'd really recommend getting a nice pair instead. I burned through cheapies for years and years...I bought a nice pair a few years ago and will never go back.

Agreed. I've had cheapo Logitechs fall apart in any number of creative ways over the years. I picked up a Corsair Vengance 1500 and it's boss hog, y'all. I'm not an audiohpile, but paying a bit more was a guaranteed way to get some reliability, so I'm happy with my purchase.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Example1013

@tariqari: Wireless headsets need batteries and also add delay to when the sound reaches the headset. Basically the logitech headset I linked to used to be a $50 headset and is just cheaper now because it's an older model. Still works fine. They ran for 2 years of regular use, 2 years of mostly storage with occasional use, and then another 2 years of regular use, and were fine the entire time. Assuming you don't do stupid things like throw your headset or something like that and just treat it decently, you can get good mileage out of it.

This has been the case with every logitech headset I own, and in fact I have a headset from 7 or 8 years ago that still works fine, except that one of the earpieces stopped working when I tried to use it with my PS2 (think I broke part of the jack) that I'm currently using as a microphone.

Then I also still have the (perfectly functioning) USB headset from logitech that I got with SOCOM 3, again 8 years ago, that worked fine for years and probably still does, but that I stopped using because the foam over the microphone was shredded. Also I was young and wasn't sure if I could use it with the computer without breaking something (since I broke a headset using it on the PS2). And I have the perfectly functioning bluetooth earpieces I got first for phones (never really used them, but they were cool in theory) and with SOCOM Confrontation.

Basically I've gotten excellent mileage out of all my logitech purchases, all of which were $40 or less, and would easily recommend their products to anyone looking for a good, cheap headset.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ravenlight
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang

I always go by the Turtle Beach Brand, seems to have gone well so far.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By galiant

If you're willing to pay double that, Corsair HS1 USB Headset is the best headset I've ever owned and I loveit. I could wear it for days (I think I might have at one point). So comfortable. Sound and mic are both great too.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By NMC2008

I have Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 and they are great, X11s are also great. They are usb powered though, so take that into account.

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Solidsnak

Assuming you have basic frontside ports for headphones and mic, I'd suggest a Yapster TM-YB100A headset, only about $15 on amazon and since it's just plugs no way for usb driver errors.

Not amazing but cheap and work well.

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Hyperglide

These are what I use and they're great. Has good fidelity and bass depth, noise reduction on microphone, has a quick volume and quick mute buttons on the cable and it has an LED as well to indicate that the mic on the mute has been toggled. It's cheap too. The only complaints I have is that it's pretty cheaply made (one of the wires came out and I had to jam it back in, on one of the ear pieces but I think it's because the other person I loaned these too didn't take care of them..) and the ear pieces don't offer a lot of ventilation and are quite small and I'm not even a big guy.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/lifechat-lx-3000

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By arch4non

If you want a solid pair of headphones I couldn't recommend the Sennheiser HD 202 II's enough. I have a pair right now and they're so darn great. Deep bass, clear mids, crisp highs, excellent noise cancelling, super comfy, don't get hot. They've also got a super long cord (which comes with a wrap) for whenever I want to sit across the room doing something else while listening to the Bombcast. If my pair broke right now I would immediately buy another pair. Oh, did I forget to mention you can get them for around $25?These friggin' headphones sound like they're worth around $75.

Though, I guess if you really need a mic you're going to have to get something else. I tried a Gamecom 777 right before getting my Sennheiser's and didn't like them enough to get a refund. Something about how far the speakers were from my ears really threw off my 3D positional awareness in games. Everything kinda sounded distant and the closest sounds I was right on top of in-game sounded like they were always a foot away. It also kinda dampened the bass.