Looking for a math book.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A book that covers a bit of everything from algebra to calculus. Something that explains everything in great detail and then gives you several different problems to solve. It sounds like a college textbook would be the best option, but im not That's way out of my budget. Im just looking to beef up/learn new things. Thank you to all that can help.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well college textbooks are generally specialized, only a bad book or a high school one would do both Algebra and Calculus in detail. If you want the gory detail, I suggest you start with number theory, and honestly I think going for MIT lectures online(the notes) is much more productive than a book.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Levius

Yeah, I would tend to stick to online sources. Most of the Wikipedia entries are pretty good and are written by experts, and online lectures are arguably better ways to learn anyway. Also try searching for the websites of college courses, a surprising amount of the time lecture notes and other course materials are freely available. If you really have to have to have a textbook, try looking through second hand book shops, calculus and algebra really hasn't changed that much in decades, and even 100 year old books will be almost 100% correct. If you are lucky you may get 5-6 books for the price of 1 modern book.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By htr10

Yeah, what's going to trip you up is wanting algebra to calculus in the same book. As previously said, online resources may be your best bet. It may sound like I'm trolling you, but www.math.com may not be a bad place to start. Also, there has to be a website out there that is to math what Giant Bomb is to video games where you could probably get better opinions on math books.

HrMagni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also MIT OCW might be worth looking at. http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

edwardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the Oxford maths materials are online. https://www0.maths.ox.ac.uk/courses/material

I would say try to avoid wikipedia if you can as it can be more confusing than helpful a lot of the time unless you have already learnt above the level of the subject and are just looking to refresh your memory.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction might be what you want? I had to read the Classical Music version during my uni course and found it to be invaluable in laying down some ground knowledge for me to take further.

Anyway, I've been considering getting the Mathematics version because movies like The Imitation Game make me feel dumb and I'd like to understand the ideas a bit better.

Amazon link

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just roll through the "For Dummies" books. They are great and the kindle editions only cost like $11 each. I used Calc 2 for dummies as a reference guide throughout my actual college class and it helped a ton. Way better than the $350 I spent on the text book...

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, book? Like a text adventure but with math, is that what your looking for?

Esten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you are considering YouTube channels, I highly recommend patrickJMT (https://www.youtube.com/user/patrickJMT). He gives a lot of examples, and I find him very easy to listen to. I find it easier to grasp some of the more difficult subject when taught by him, than many of the professors I have had to deal with.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah calculus is fairly easy so teaching yourself using online sources is plausible.

If you're interested in learning the finer details of the formulas and theorems you'll be using, then you might want to check out a textbook on analysis.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

This site helped me a lot during my college math classes.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could try the "… For the Practical Man" series. I think that's how Richard Feynman, notable physicist dude, learned Calculus and such by the time he was around 13. You could get the books that are devoted to each subject individually, like Algebra for the Practical Man, Geometry/Trigonometry for the Practical Man, etc etc, or there's also just a "Mathematics for the Practical Man" book you could pick up which is an all-in-one kind of deal.