• 98 results
#1 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -

I am currently looking for dark music, i honestly don't know what genre they  belong to but it's pretty much like these two:

I really love those two songs a lot but can't figure out what genre they belong to. if you guys have any songs that are similar then please post them, they really help me to relax while working.
#2 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -
@lavaman77:  

Might be a bit too abrasive for you, but... 

#3 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

That's racist.

#4 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

Black metal.

#5 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

You want dark and gothic? Apocalyptica has your answer.
#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Define dark? 

Here's what i call dark as fuck: 

#7 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Define dark? 

Here's what i call dark as fuck: 

Im looking for music that is depressing  yet relaxing. the kind of music that makes you sit and really think deeply about every single note being played.

Note: the ones posted above aren't exactly what im looking for sadly. please listen to the two videos i posted above to get an idea of what im talking about.
#8 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

The genre the OP is talking about is either "gothic" or "ambiance".  Matt Uelmen, the composer of Diablo 1 and 2, does some pretty good music based on those genres. 

#9 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
The genre the OP is talking about is either "gothic" or "ambiance". 
It's seriously hard to find which genre they belong to but i guess ambiance is the closest thing that you'll get.
#10 Posted by EuanDewar (4908 posts) -

Nine Inch Nails later work has an ambiance and general relaxing yet dark tone to it. Maybe some of that?

#11 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:

The genre the OP is talking about is either "gothic" or "ambiance".  Matt Uelmen, the composer of Diablo 1 and 2, does some pretty good music based on those genres. 

Yeah exactly stuff like that,i honestly forgot about these two.

Do you guys know any more? 
#12 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

Another from Matt Uelmen
#13 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

i don't think your supposed to actually see dark music..  even if you could  it would be hard to find seeing as how it's dark music.

#14 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -
@Juicebox said:

i don't think your supposed to actually see dark music..  even if you could  it would be hard to find seeing as how it's dark music.

You don't see music, you hear it like the cries of the benevolent... Yeah, I'm that deep.

Dark music is supposed to lend a feeling of ominous despair and hopelessness; to conjure visions of arrogant schadenfreude and malice, and atmosphere as bleak and brown as reality itself. I listen to this shit not because I'm some goth boy who hates everything and believes in the devil; I'm just a young adult who has a dark, gothic science fictional world that I want turned into a game. Music of this style helps my mind create ideas for it.
#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Otep, love it.

#16 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -
#17 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

That's black metal, but there are a ton of dark ambient artists out there. 

@Bruce: That was an awesome song/video, thanks. 

@FancySoapsMan said:
Maybe you'd like some drone metal?
Nothing like a little Sunn 0))) to brighten your day.
#18 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -
@lavaman77: Hey lavaman, Jean Baudin has some pretty neat ambience-like music that has the vibe I believe you're looking for.. it's awesome music.  I didn't see this thread earlier, and I posted the videos in another thread, but here.. you can watch/listen to him play while on the Big Live Live Show:

I'm a fan of his music (not all, but most)... some of his stuff really does have a thought-provoking effect.  Check out his Solace Album.  Transcend is my favourite song of his...

The picture just accompanies the feeling I get from this song so well.. It's reflective.. it's sad... it's lonely.. it's painful.  Not the kind of music you want to hear all the time, but on those occasions that you do, it just fits the mood.
#19 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

A bit different, but may I recommend Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Definitely dark in both lyric and tone.

Oh yeah, still racist.

#20 Posted by Stonyman65 (2703 posts) -

Pretty much anything by Megadeth is dark.

#21 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse:  

No problemo.
#22 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
@Stonyman65 said:

Pretty much anything by Megadeth is dark.

#23 Posted by Krampus (141 posts) -

#24 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (654 posts) -

Well, your best bet would be movie soundtracks, I'd say, rather than anything coming from the game or (dare I say it) band-scene. It sounds like you're mostly interested in purely instrumental music, though it would be great if you could clarify that. For now, let me see if any of this tickles your fancy.

If you've spent any time at all on this site, you probably will be able to recognize this fellow. It's in the right direction of what you're going for, though it may be a tad too "light and bright for you." If it is, try the next option.

I'd say this would be right up your alley. It's from "There will be Blood" (Great movie). Other sound-tracks written by Jonny Greenwood tend to be similair in tone. For example, the Norwegian Wood one that he wrote. (Also a great movie, and a better book.)

And finally, if you don't mind vocals, heeeeey, go listen to Radiohead! Specifically the albums "Kid A", "Amnesiac" and "The King of Limbs" should suit you. Also, if you liked the last instruemental piece written by Greenwood, he happens to be the main guitarist of Radiohead.

@JCTango: Bah! Didn't see you there, mate. Sorry if I stole your thunder. You got impeccable taste, though.

#25 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

@lavaman77:  Actually, I think what you're probably looking for is more instrumental music that has a more reflective/melancholic undertone to it.  A lot of great film scores accomplish this pretty well.. I can't name any off the top of my head atm, but Hans Zimmer has to have a few great ones for you there.  

Also, the Diablo 2 music was awesome :D Thanks for letting me hear those again, @Tru3_Blu3 heh. 

#26 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

#27 Posted by Krampus (141 posts) -

#28 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -
@Do_The_Manta_Ray: Damn I love Jean Baudin's work! :D.  Frosty Acres is right up there in terms of my favourites!
#29 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -
@JCTango said:

@lavaman77: Hey lavaman, Jean Baudin has some pretty neat ambience-like music that has the vibe I believe you're looking for.. it's awesome music.  I didn't see this thread earlier, and I posted the videos in another thread, but here.. you can watch/listen to him play while on the Big Live Live Show:

I'm a fan of his music (not all, but most)... some of his stuff really does have a thought-provoking effect.  Check out his Solace Album.  Transcend is my favourite song of his...

The picture just accompanies the feeling I get from this song so well.. It's reflective.. it's sad... it's lonely.. it's painful.  Not the kind of music you want to hear all the time, but on those occasions that you do, it just fits the mood.
Oh yeah that's exactly what i am looking for thanks a lot!

If you guys have more stuff like that please post them. :)
#30 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -
#31 Posted by fastkilr (98 posts) -

As far as something similar to that Resident Evil song almost anything from the Silent Hill soundtracks should do the trick.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for in terms of genre, but it's all very good in that 'dark' way.

#32 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@lavaman77: Heads up, both songs are instrumental. Here's some Goodspeed You Black Emperor
  And if that fails, here's some Russian Circles.

#33 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

I have a few suggestions for different bands and musicians you can look for. Alot of these belong to different genres but all can be considered "dark". I will note the genres as best I can so you can search for similar music.  

"Black Tape for a Blue Girl" are one of my favourite bands. Most of their songs are very relaxing and dark. I don't know what the genre is but it seems like a mixture of "darkwave" and "Dark Ambient" sounds mixed with "ethereal" vocals Here's an example:   

There is a band called "Virgin Black" who are classed as "Doom Metal" They flirt with classical music alot and the lead's vocals are almost opera like. This is dark in a different, sort of scary way as opposed to the above band that are more relaxing. This example is quite long but I think it best displays the various styles that they sample:   
 I could go on all day but I will just suggest you search for the genres; "Ethereal", "Darkwave", "Dark-ambient", and "Neo-classical" 

Also have a listen to some classical organplayed in a minor key. An example would be Bach's "Tecotta and Fugue in D minor"
#34 Edited by waitwhat (251 posts) -
@lavaman77 said:

Im looking for music that is depressing  yet relaxing. the kind of music that makes you sit and really think deeply about every single note being played.

lux aeterna perhaps? i think it fits your description pretty well. fun fact, this is what anders breivik (the norway terrorist) was listening to when he went on his rampage.
#35 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I thought that said dank music so I was going to post this

but you want dark, this is more on the "heavy" side of things instead of dark though.

#36 Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -

#37 Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -

#38 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

Dark enough?

#39 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

Doesn't get much darker than this: 

#40 Edited by Buck (148 posts) -

Dark, ambient, sad. Braid had a lot of those. I used to listen to Braid OST when I did homework.
#41 Posted by ilovebees (75 posts) -

Anything from Silent Hill

#42 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -
@waitwhat said:

@lavaman77 said:

lux aeterna perhaps? i think it fits your description pretty well. fun fact, this is what anders breivik (the norway terrorist) was listening to when he went on his rampage.
Annnnd im officially creeped out.
#43 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@lavaman77: Also, I always thought that the music from the RE4 clip you posted sounds a lot like Sigur Ros. You might want to check out his stuff if you want more of that sound.

#44 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1049 posts) -

Check out the album Ghosts I-IV and see if you like anything from that.

#45 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -
@lavaman77: Hey lavaman, I found some more music for ya!  It's from one of my favourite movies of all time:  Donnie Darko.  The music in that movie just seem to be able to evoke emotions without even really trying.  Let me know what you think!

#46 Posted by Tordah (2479 posts) -

#47 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -
@lavaman77: @JCTango said:

@lavaman77:  I can't name any off the top of my head atm, but Hans Zimmer has to have a few great ones for you there.   

Man, how could I forget this movie... one of my favourites also:  Black Hawk Down:

#48 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -
@lavaman77 said:

@waitwhat said:

@lavaman77 said:

Annnnd im officially creeped out.
Hmm that's too bad because I kinda like that song.. =(
#49 Posted by TheOther (77 posts) -
I don't know if this is what you're looking for (can't view youtube videos at the moment), but try Massive Attack - Angel.
#50 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -