Looking for Some Audible Suggestions

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By monetarydread

I forgot that I had subscribed to Audible a few months back, now I have 6 credits to use up. =)

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I usually prefer Non-Fiction (no Celebrity bios, or self-help/ life affirming / spiritual books), but I am all for some hard sci-fi or fantasy.

Edit: I might as well throw down a recommendation myself. I loved the hell out of Andy Weir's "The Martian," and I cannot recommend that book enough.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Dresden Files

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@edgekasey: Thanks for the recommendation. That one is definitely on my wish list.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jerseyscum

1. Ready Player One: Ernest Kline

2. No Place to Hide: Glenn Greenwald

3. Crash And Burn: Artie Lange

4. Tokyo Vice: Jake Adelstein

5. American Desperado: Jon Roberts

6. Helter Skelter: Curt Gentry

This is just stuff off my account, except for Tokyo Vice which I have in print.

(Crash and Burn is a celebrity bio, but a damn funny and frightening one)

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As this is a website about video games, I highly recommend Blake J. Harris'sConsole Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle that Defined a Generation. I listened to it from Audible recently and the read is solid, albeit Al Nilsen is made to sound like a very stereotypical geek. The book itself is solid, telling a fairly compelling (biased) story about how Sega briefly beat Nintendo in the American console market.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vierastalo: I got a few extra credits. Good look duder, thanks.

Ready Player One is just a love letter to gamer and nerd culture. And narrated by Will Wheaton!

Avatar image for deactivated-587815b1c9354
deactivated-587815b1c9354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Might be cliche but the Lord of the Rings audio books are pretty damn good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By monkeyking1969

Jam (UNABRIDGED) By Yahtzee Croshaw / Narrated By Yahtzee Croshaw

"....We were prepared for an earthquake. We had a flood plan in place. We could even have dealt with zombies. Probably. But no one expected the end to be quite so…sticky…or strawberry scented. Yahtzee Croshaw (Mogworld, Zero Punctuation Reviews) returns to audiobooks with a follow-up to his smash-hit debut: Jam, a dark comedy about the one apocalypse no one predicted." [ A very good story, and if you like Yahtzee voice it fun hearing him read hsi own novel]

Altered Carbon (Unabridged) Written by: Richard K. Morgan/ Narrated by: Todd McLaren

Series: Takeshi Kovacs Trilogy, Book 1

"....In the 25th century, humankind has spread throughout the galaxy, monitored by the watchful eye of the U.N. While divisions in race, religion, and class still exist, advances in technology have redefined life itself. Now, assuming one can afford the expensive procedure, a person's consciousness can be stored in a cortical stack at the base of the brain and easily downloaded into a new body (or "sleeve") making death nothing more than a minor blip on a screen." [A great book to start a great series. Morgan has a great style and his stories are often very well crafted and fun.]

Also, by Morgan " A Land Fit for Heroes" series -- This isn't your father's gay hero! Yes, the hero is gay...get over it...the stories are awesome. This is like a thinking-man's Conan the Barabarian. Well, worth listening to...it just NSFW.
(1) The Steel Remains: A Land Fit for Heroes, Book 1(UNABRIDGED) by Richard K. Morgan Narrated by Simon Vance; (2) The Cold Commands: A Land Fit for Heroes, Book 2; (3) The Dark Defiles: A Land Fit for Heroes, Book 3

QUICK PICKS TO START A SERIES!!!!

Master and Commander: Aubrey/Maturin Series, Book 1 Written by: Patrick O'Brian Narrated by: Simon Vance
The Lost Fleet: Dauntless (Series: Lost Fleet, Book 1) Narrated by: Christian Rummel, Jack Campbell
Into the Storm: Destroyermen, Book 1 Written by: Taylor Anderson Narrated by: William Dufris

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By The_Ruiner
No Caption Provided

There is a collection of Sherlock Holmes audio plays from the BBC. There are a ton of them and they are all great. Make sure you get the ones starring Clive Merrison.

No Caption Provided

There are also great Audio Drama for Lord of the Rings. Not the Audiobook. Full cast radio plays with Ian Holm as Frodo. Great stuff.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By monkeyking1969
Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Anything by Joe Abercrombie, starting with The Blade Itself, then the other two parts of the First Law series.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In no particular order:

• The Rest Is Noise: Listening To The Twentieth Century by Alex Ross
  • People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Lloyd Parry (I haven't finished this, yet, but so far it's incredible)
  • Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, read by Kenneth Fucking Branagh
  • The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum
  • The Professor and The Madman by Simon Winchester
  • The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith
  • The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg
  • The Dreaming Jewels by Theodore Sturgeon

The last two were favourites of mine when I was a kid, so I listened to the audio books & was happy to find they still held up as engaging stories.

I cancelled my membership last winter because I have a ton of non-fiction audio books to catch up on, but since I haven't actually listened to them I can't recommend them. Anyway, here are a few from the top of my list that I want to wade into this winter:

• In The Wake of Madness: The Murderous Voyage of The Whaleship Sharon by Joan Druett
  • The Dark Side of Genius: The Life of Alfred Hitchcock by Donald Spoto
  • The Clockwork Universe: Isaac Newton, the Royal Society, and the Birth of the Modern World by Edward Dolnick
  • Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History by Penny Le Couteur

Argh! There just isn't enough time to do everything!