Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Capcom has released some new information, as well as fresh screenshots and a trailer, for Lost Planet 2. As we already know, the game will, like its predecessor, take place on the planet E.D.N. III, though it's 10 years later and massive terraforming efforts have changed the climate from bitter cold to something a little more temperate, allowing for jungle and desert environments. That's not the only change, as this time around you'll be playing as a customizable "snow pirate," rather than an established character. Capcom is promising hundreds of different ways to customize your character, including weapon customization.

A heavy emphasis is being put on the way the choices you make will impact the way the the single-player in Lost Planet 2 plays out, with Capcom hinting at branching plot lines, but getting no more specific about the details than to toss around words like "dynamic" and "evolve." Beyond the single-player experience, there will be four-player coop support in addition to the competitive multiplayer. Capcom also hints at some radical changes to the vital suits--giant player-controllable mechs that littered the first game--that it claims will "have a powerful impact on the way the player takes to the war zone in Lost Planet 2." 

Between the new climate, the customizable character, the focus on player choices, and the increased coop support, it's apparent that Capcom is doing an awful lot to differentiate Lost Planet 2 from Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. It's still unclear to me what impact these changes will have on the actual gameplay.

#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Capcom has released some new information, as well as fresh screenshots and a trailer, for Lost Planet 2. As we already know, the game will, like its predecessor, take place on the planet E.D.N. III, though it's 10 years later and massive terraforming efforts have changed the climate from bitter cold to something a little more temperate, allowing for jungle and desert environments. That's not the only change, as this time around you'll be playing as a customizable "snow pirate," rather than an established character. Capcom is promising hundreds of different ways to customize your character, including weapon customization.

A heavy emphasis is being put on the way the choices you make will impact the way the the single-player in Lost Planet 2 plays out, with Capcom hinting at branching plot lines, but getting no more specific about the details than to toss around words like "dynamic" and "evolve." Beyond the single-player experience, there will be four-player coop support in addition to the competitive multiplayer. Capcom also hints at some radical changes to the vital suits--giant player-controllable mechs that littered the first game--that it claims will "have a powerful impact on the way the player takes to the war zone in Lost Planet 2." 

Between the new climate, the customizable character, the focus on player choices, and the increased coop support, it's apparent that Capcom is doing an awful lot to differentiate Lost Planet 2 from Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. It's still unclear to me what impact these changes will have on the actual gameplay.

#2 Posted by Double0hFor (410 posts) -

still not interested

#3 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

This game is going to be great!

#4 Posted by CrazNin (1 posts) -

Dang, I gotta finish up the first one! Looks pretty sweet though.

#5 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Characters look pretty good. Wasn't expecting that...

#6 Posted by natetodamax (19217 posts) -

Nice

#7 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

yes sir!

#8 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

It looks like *SNiff SNIFF* LOVE!

#9 Posted by DECA555 (400 posts) -

meh 

#10 Posted by y0y0 (106 posts) -

looks alrite i guess

#11 Posted by MforMaverick (119 posts) -

Kool beans!!! Bought the first one so I can play the part two when it comes out!

#12 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Looks like PSO for the Dreamcast, I'm in!

#13 Posted by HT101 (1165 posts) -

I should really play the first one if it's anything like what this one will be.

#14 Posted by Krenor (471 posts) -

I need to rent the first one and check it out, but this one looks awesome and it has some really amazing graphics 

#15 Posted by Banjo_ace (118 posts) -

i need to play the first one

#16 Posted by jakob187 (21735 posts) -

Looking awesome!  Hopefully it can live up to the magnificence of the first one!

#17 Posted by Peach (63 posts) -

Ooooh "customizable snow pirate" sounds so captivating. I betcha there's an intricate plot line behind the name.

#18 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Dood, I missed out on the first one.
I should go back and play it, but... this looks fuckin' awesome anyway.

#19 Posted by Maxszy (2067 posts) -

Everyone is jumping on the "choices" band wagon. But I guess that isn't too bad. Been around awhile now.

Looks pretty though, especially that screen shot with the green bubble! Awesome!

#20 Posted by Hector (3375 posts) -

Didn't like the first one, won't like this one!

#21 Posted by cjmhockey (244 posts) -

Looks good... I liked the first one, heres hoping the second one is even better.

#22 Posted by HatKing (6065 posts) -

I'm a lot more interested in this than I was before.  As long as you don't end up having to fight the stupid animation your character goes through everytime he is hit it'll be a lot funner.

#23 Posted by GreatFunStuff (55 posts) -

looking like a team-based, multiplayer,Shadow of the Colossus ninja game.  <---The story better back that up.

#24 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

Wow, it looks good.  I didn't bother with the first one.

#25 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Looks more interesting that the first game. Looks like they've interated a bit further on the gameplay styles... which is a most welcome addition to LP.

There's something about snow/ice levels/worlds that are a complete visual turnoff. I'd frankly rather see endless beige of desert sand, than white of snow. Also, why do people upload widescreen videos into a fullscreen container? Damn this monitor for not having a zoom function.

Aww... still looks like every single animation cannot be interrupted. How 1998 of you, Japan.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Aw! The first one was kinda good because of the stark, cold setting. Now it just looks like Uncharted. I understand a change of setting, but still...

#27 Posted by Downloaded (184 posts) -

Wow...  That looked awesome.

#28 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

I didn't really like the first one, the graphics were cool.. but other then that.. iit was a pretty shitty game...
so im gonna skip this one.

#29 Posted by BR4DL3I9H (265 posts) -

I just watched the trailers and read this page, and is it just me or is this game looking sort of like an next gen monster hunter style game? Customisable weapons. Huge monsters to tackle with, or without, groups. Either way this game is looking like a good improvement on the first one.

I am dissapointed to see the death animation still in there though. I grew so frustrated playing the first one when ever you would get hit, i was tempted to through the controller at the wall a few times because of it.

#30 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I liked the first one but I got bored of it after awhile. Hopefully this will have a lot of things to spruce it up.

#31 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Really amazing to see in motion