Love VS. Activision

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Edited By dj

In the world of video games and music, one piece of news is getting a lot of attention. During this past week a feud between Courtney love and Activision has been becoming more intense. Love is disgusted by Activision’s use of Kurt Cobain’s image in Guitar Hero 5. Cobain is an unlockable character in the game; this lets players use Cobain for any song they choose. Love is now threatening legal action against Activision in order to compensate for the ill use of Cobain’s likeness.

This scuffle brings to light a bigger trend in video games in general. The level of realism in games is constantly on the rise. I believe that in the future more and more events like this are going to occur. Because games are becoming more and more lifelike, it’s becoming easier to identify games with real life. I can easily see how love and fans of Cobain could feel ire against Activision for their use of Cobain’s image but, I think there is a bigger issue to consider.

Since the use of a real person’s image in a game is causing such a stir, why doesn’t the deluge of first person shooters cause such a commotion? In theory the same kind of shenanigans are taking place. The myriad of shooters are trivializing the grim nature of war and turning it into a game. The mass audience has no problem taking all of these things as mindless entertainment. I’m wondering why everyone is getting into such a rage about the use of Cobain in Guitar Hero when there are more troubling trends taking place. While Cobain’s appearance might be tampering with musical continuity, the top tier holiday games are trivializing life and death. Surely there is some priority over the latter, or at least I hope there is.

This story has been a great piece of sensationalism but it leads me to consider a bigger, darker trend in gaming. I’m completely dumbfounded as to how this double standard can exist without the general gaming audience knowing. 

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dj

In the world of video games and music, one piece of news is getting a lot of attention. During this past week a feud between Courtney love and Activision has been becoming more intense. Love is disgusted by Activision’s use of Kurt Cobain’s image in Guitar Hero 5. Cobain is an unlockable character in the game; this lets players use Cobain for any song they choose. Love is now threatening legal action against Activision in order to compensate for the ill use of Cobain’s likeness.

This scuffle brings to light a bigger trend in video games in general. The level of realism in games is constantly on the rise. I believe that in the future more and more events like this are going to occur. Because games are becoming more and more lifelike, it’s becoming easier to identify games with real life. I can easily see how love and fans of Cobain could feel ire against Activision for their use of Cobain’s image but, I think there is a bigger issue to consider.

Since the use of a real person’s image in a game is causing such a stir, why doesn’t the deluge of first person shooters cause such a commotion? In theory the same kind of shenanigans are taking place. The myriad of shooters are trivializing the grim nature of war and turning it into a game. The mass audience has no problem taking all of these things as mindless entertainment. I’m wondering why everyone is getting into such a rage about the use of Cobain in Guitar Hero when there are more troubling trends taking place. While Cobain’s appearance might be tampering with musical continuity, the top tier holiday games are trivializing life and death. Surely there is some priority over the latter, or at least I hope there is.

This story has been a great piece of sensationalism but it leads me to consider a bigger, darker trend in gaming. I’m completely dumbfounded as to how this double standard can exist without the general gaming audience knowing. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I'm more distressed that this fad hack who killed himself like a bitch is getting so much more attention than a legend like Cash.

MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrMuise

I see what you're saying! They should let us shoot Kurt Cobain! Great idea!

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dj

I agree with you there. Suicide being the road to fame is a really troubling concept.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dj
@MrMuise said:
" I see what you're saying! They should let us shoot Kurt Cobain! Great idea! "
Damn, I though my riddle would take a little longer to break.
Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Benjaminvdv

Let's all do something constructive instead and kill Courtney Love.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrMuise said:
So we're gonna make a Courtney Love simulator?
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Tylea002
@TeflonBilly said:
" @MrMuise said:
So we're gonna make a Courtney Love simulator? "
You play as courtney love on the anti-kurt in GH5 side, then you unlock her and can put her in the pro-kurt in GH5 side for fun. And to piss her off.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Absurd
@ryanwho said:
" I'm more distressed that this fad hack who killed himself like a bitch is getting so much more attention than a legend like Cash. "
Shut your dirty whore mouth.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By damnboyadvance

I don't really give a fuck about this incident. So what she's pissed? The most I'll care is if she somehow wins against Activision.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11  Edited By JamesF

If Courtney Love wasn't a dumb bitch, she'd realize what she's doing is disrespecting Kurt Cobain's legacy rather than protecting it.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ch13696

She signed a contract. If she reads it or not is her fault. So basically if she wins this case then that means anyone can win a case against any contract. Just by saying that they didn't read the contract. As much as I don't like Activision, I would have to be on their side.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I side with Activision here. Home girl hasn't been playing the Guitar Hero games, so I guess she didn't understand how this concept works.