LulzSec hacks Bethesda/Zenimax - is this getting old yet?

• 65 results
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By benjaebe

You know, just a heads up in case they DO decide to leak user data (though I'm not sure from what - forum logins or newsletters, perhaps) you might want to change your password.

EDIT: Looks like they have some kind of Brink user list. Do you even need to make an account for that? Hell if I know, haven't played it myself.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

EDIT EDIT: Bethesda responds:

Over the past weekend, a hacker group attempted an unlawful intrusion of our websites to gain access to data. We believe we have taken appropriate action to protect our data against these attacks. While no personal financial information or credit card data was obtained, the hackers may have gained access to some user names, email addresses, and/or passwords. As a precaution, we recommend that all our fans immediately change passwords on all our sites — including our community forums and the statistics site we maintain for Brink players.
If your username/email address/password is similar to what you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. As we don’t know what further plans the hackers may have, we suggest that you keep an eye out for suspicious emails and account activity.
We regret any inconvenience that these attacks on us cause for you. These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Wikileaks minus cultural relevance=Lulzsec

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45
@ryanwho said:
Which is pretty much exactly what they want to be. 

They think they're hardcore spies or some shit.
jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jking47

god damn, this is ridiculous. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

That's stupid. Wikileaks didn't hack a thing. Wikileaks is just a repository for donated documentation.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Vonocourt

Now Lulzsec is asking for more info on skyrim otherwise they'll release the user data.

Fucking douchebags.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jams

I'm not sure about the log in thing. I can't even remember myself

The more they hack, the higher the chance they get caught.... right?

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arker101

They're shaking down Bethesda for info on Skyrim. 
That's low.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By crusader8463

At some point I think these companies need to be blamed for all these dam things. The fact that all of these companies have put so little security on our personal data is really pathetic.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho
@SeriouslyNow said:

@ryanwho said:

That's stupid. Wikileaks didn't hack a thing. Wikileaks is just a repository for donated documentation.

You're right, they're not identical. Things have to be identical to be compared. Thanks for setting me straight.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai

Hacking every single website and stealing user data for the sake of stealing it is getting super old.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dungbootle

Little kids

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pinworm45
@crusader8463 said:
At some point I think these companies need to be blamed for all these dam things. The fact that all of these companies have put so little security on our personal data is really pathetic.
Or you could be like me and blame both.
PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Guess it's EA and Activision's turn soon then?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45
@CandiBunni said:

These guys are flipping morons...seriously. I'm getting tired of hearing how they've "hacked" into someone else's junk. Is there any real evidence that they have, or are they just claming something they can't really back up? -honest question-.  I really want these fools to have their arses caught and either locked up, or fined a pretty hefty amount, just to teach them a lesson...> _ >'' 

They're doing it, but to call or imply they're hackers is kind of like calling 8 year olds learning to skate Hockey Players. 

@PhatSeeJay said: 

Guess it's EA and Activision's turn soon then?

I gaurantee they've been trying, but EA and Activision probably have at least a modicum of security. Kind of sad that they're so far ahead of, say.. Sony. Codemasters or some shit I can understand - it's still not cool but whatever - but yeah..
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By benjaebe

@CandiBunni: They'll publish things later today. They seem to have a pretty solid track record of doing exactly what they say they're doing, so there's no reason not to believe them. As much as I hate giving them more attention, it's important for people to know if their information is at risk in case they need to change passwords or whatever.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IBurningStar

Holding data hostage unless they get Skyrim info. It is like a hostage situation. What will they want next, a plane?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Hack something worthwhile. Jeez.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jams

@crusader8463 said:

I can see people shaking their finger sternly at the companies for not using good security measures, but you really want to put the blame on the victim (yes they are the victim of a crime). I'd write out a simile, but people don't like when you compare a cyber crime with a real one even though they are compared equally and it makes sense (I think that's what scares those people).

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By TheHBK

Oh no, a Brink user list.  You mean 10 people?  

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeffsekai

@crusader8463 said:

Who's to say they don't have good security? Not all hackers are script kiddies.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pinworm45
@jams said:

@crusader8463 said:

I can see people shaking their finger sternly at the companies for not using good security measures, but you really want to put the blame on the victim (yes they are the victim of a crime). I'd make write out a simile, but people don't like when you compare a cyber crime with a real one even though they are compared equally and it makes sense (I think that's what scares those people).

Before this turns into another debate about how "it's 100% the hackers fault because they're committing the crime", and "the company is responsible for having so little respect for their consumers by having no or pathetic security", and then comparisons to banks, not blaming the robbers, yeah but they left the vault open, can we all just shut the fuck up and agree that both parties are to blame? This isn't exactly like a rape situation and saying the girl was asking for it - this is private data that should have ample security. And the reason it should have it, is because there are people who will commit this intrusions and that's an unfortunate fact of life. 

Right. Settled? 

@Jeffsekai said: 

@crusader8463 said:

The hackers themselves are to say. They're saying, at least in most cases, that the security was pathetic and easily overriden. Given that most of these people do this stuff for nothing more than the glory of success, I see no reason why they would lie and make it sound easier than it was.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CptBedlam
@ryanwho said:
@SeriouslyNow said:

@ryanwho said:

You're right, they're not identical. Things have to be identical to be compared. Thanks for setting me straight.
It was an idiotic comparison. That's all. There is not even one similar aspect between lulzsec hackers and Wikileaks.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

Seriously? Holding user info ransom for more info on Skyrim?

And I thought I was a total nerd. If this was elementary school I'd be hustling lulzsec for lunch money. But then stopping because they'd be allergic to paper, or oxygen or something. Peanut butter too.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

So they realized they were kidding themselves when they said this was the end for Sony, and they're pretty ass-hurt about that.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I'm usually not one to condone violence, but I feel like there is a number of people who need a good punch in the face.

woodroez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By woodroez

@jams said:

@crusader8463 said:

I can see people shaking their finger sternly at the companies for not using good security measures, but you really want to put the blame on the victim (yes they are the victim of a crime). I'd make write out a simile, but people don't like when you compare a cyber crime with a real one even though they are compared equally and it makes sense (I think that's what scares those people).

Indeed. Not being an expert (and not being privy to the kind of information necessary to make useful comments if I even was), I can only say there's so much you can blame these companies for.

Bad security might leave you wide open, but when a thug who's good at being a thug takes aim at you, he may find a seam somewhere regardless.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Chummy8

Great, they finally hit someplace that it actually affects me. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@ryanwho said:

Don't be specious dude. You know I didn't mean that. They don't relate at all aside from some cultural relevance via FOX New thinking of 'all evols of the innertubez'

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crusader8463
@Pinworm45 said:
@jams said:

@crusader8463 said:

Before this turns into another debate about how "it's 100% the hackers fault because they're committing the crime", and "the company is responsible for having so little respect for their consumers by having no or pathetic security", and then comparisons to banks, not blaming the robbers, yeah but they left the vault open, can we all just shut the fuck up and agree that both parties are to blame? This isn't exactly like a rape situation and saying the girl was asking for it - this is private data that should have ample security. And the reason it should have it, is because there are people who will commit this intrusions and that's an unfortunate fact of life. 

Right. Settled? 

@Jeffsekai said: 

@crusader8463 said:

The hackers themselves are to say. They're saying, at least in most cases, that the security was pathetic and easily overriden. Given that most of these people do this stuff for nothing more than the glory of success, I see no reason why they would lie and make it sound easier than it was.
Not saying the hackers are blame free, they are the ones doing the hacking, but as you said I think the companies need to be held to a certain degree of responsibility for having so little security and I suppose us as consumers for not demanding these places have the security in the first place. At the very least all of these hackings going on since the Sony Stuff will hopefully wake these companies up and realize they need to protect this stuff better. 

It's crazy how all this stuff has been going on lately. It's not just companies, but entire governments getting hacked.
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I was bored of it from the first instance. Lulzsec are just attention whores.

Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Spoonybard37

This shit got old a few months ago...

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jeffsekai

@Pinworm45 said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@crusader8463 said:

At this point what is considered easy for them? For all we know they are some of the best hackers or at least know a lot about this one subject, of course they are going to say it was hella easy regardless if it was or not.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45
@Jeffsekai said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@crusader8463 said:

At this point what is considered easy for them? For all we know they are some of the best hackers or at least know a lot about this one subject, of course they are going to say it was hella easy regardless if it was or not.

I didn't mean easy in a subjective term, I meant easy as in security measures that are a complete joke. The kind that most hackers would actually be embarrassed to admit they hacked, because it's like being proud of robbing candy from a baby. 

Like SQL injections for example. A complete joke. Literally anyone could do it.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crusader8463
@Pinworm45 said:
@Jeffsekai said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@crusader8463 said:

I didn't mean easy in a subjective term, I meant easy as in security measures that are a complete joke. The kind that most hackers would actually be embarrassed to admit they hacked, because it's like being proud of robbing candy from a baby.  Like SQL injections for example. A complete joke. Literally anyone could do it.
It's hard to say when it comes to that stuff. We will never know what really went down, other then that it was not enough to keep the hackers out. That to me is what has me worried. Whether it's incompetence/hubris on part of these governments and companies or if there are a group of people out there so talented at this stuff that nothing is safe from being hacked it's a scary idea.
Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

On the upside, everyone now gets a free Brink map!!! 

..anyone? 

EDIT: can LulzSec face any kind of legal ramifications from all of this? At some point, aren't companies going to start pressuring Twitter for info?

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Khadyn

By the time they do get caught...gonna be the point where no one gives a shit and basically say "Lulzsec who?" Seriously...its getting old and stop posting about them. Lulzsec = media for the trolls to post on gaming forums (not saying the OP is a troll..just stating what's going on last couple months). Seriously, how many new posts we need just for Lulzsec hacks on GB forums?

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AgentofChaos

Does this affect their insider sites as well?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pinworm45
@crusader8463 said:
@Pinworm45 said:
@Jeffsekai said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@crusader8463 said:

I didn't mean easy in a subjective term, I meant easy as in security measures that are a complete joke. The kind that most hackers would actually be embarrassed to admit they hacked, because it's like being proud of robbing candy from a baby.  Like SQL injections for example. A complete joke. Literally anyone could do it.
It's hard to say when it comes to that stuff. We will never know what really went down, other then that it was not enough to keep the hackers out. That to me is what has me worried. Whether it's incompetence/hubris on part of these governments and companies or if there are a group of people out there so talented at this stuff that nothing is safe from being hacked it's a scary idea.
I'd side with the former. 

Consider that EA and Activision are some of the most hated companies, and their methods tend to be the type Lulzsec disagree with the most. They also have the most amount of users, and between them, tons of games. Breaking them would massive, massive news. And yet nothing has happened with then. Why? Because they likely have some form or protection.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeffsekai

@crusader8463 said:

@Pinworm45 said:
@Jeffsekai said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@crusader8463 said:

I didn't mean easy in a subjective term, I meant easy as in security measures that are a complete joke. The kind that most hackers would actually be embarrassed to admit they hacked, because it's like being proud of robbing candy from a baby. Like SQL injections for example. A complete joke. Literally anyone could do it.

The first thing they taught me in my Securities Vulnerabilities class was nothing is ever 100% secure, hackers will always find a way to get in.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chirag4

These guys need girlfriends.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By benjaebe

@Khadyn said:

By the time they do get caught...gonna be the point where no one gives a shit and basically say "Lulzsec who?" Seriously...its getting old and stop posting about them. Lulzsec = media for the trolls to post on gaming forums (not saying the OP is a troll..just stating what's going on last couple months). Seriously, how many new posts we need just for Lulzsec hacks on GB forums?

I'm aware that posting on forums gives them more attention, but I still think it's important for people to know because if they've signed up for the Brink stats site or Bethesda community forums then their information is at risk. Unfortunately the side effect of raising awareness is giving them more attention.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FritzDude

They are basically digging a deeper hole each time.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By beforet

@Chirag4 said:

What if their girlfriends were also hackers?

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By fox01313

These guys are clearly just idiots, not really doing it for fun, just about any game studio will rather go after them legally & not cave into their stupid demands. Frankly waiting for the FBI or other groups to nail these hacker idiots as they seem to have nothing to contribute & with the recent hacking issues with Sony, the gaming studios/community is rather tired of it all & more likely to turn the hackers in than support them. 

Did these stupid hackers not learn anything from what went on with Half Life2 where the hackers weren't helping & delaying things longer?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pinworm45
@Chirag4 said:
Are you kidding me? So they can get more stressed out and frustrated and have a need to regain power in life, which they'll do by executing the little power they have: SQL injections?