MacBook Help

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

Looking to try out a Mac, and was wondering where I should start. Any suggestions?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

Well, do you want it to be portable, a simple desktop or a lean mean power machine? Oh, do you alrady have a display?

don't get the plastic macbook, not worth the cash, the lowest end macbook pro, though pricier is a better investment( I know I just got one awhile ago)

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#3  Edited By EpicSteve
@Dany said:
" Well, do you want it to be portable, a simple desktop or a lean mean power machine? Oh, do you alrady have a display?  don't get the plastic macbook, not worth the cash, the lowest end macbook pro, though pricier is a better investment( I know I just got one awhile ago) "
I was thinking of getting the MacBook Pro. This is my first foray into Apple products beyond an iPod.
Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Butchio

it all depends on what you want to do with it and also what size you prefer.

if you want to watch a lot of video and use programs like photoshop etc then id say a macbook pro. if you dont mind one thats massive then go with the 17inch. in my opinion i think 17 inch laptops are too big. im using a standard macbook which i use for university work whilst not at home using my imac. i use photoshop, dreamweaver, coda, vlc player and itunes on it quite a bit and it runs quite well but could go a bit faster. it wouldnt be able to handle any video editing, and if you are looking to do some editing then i would definetley recommend a pro

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RobotHamster

I've got a macbook pro and so far it hasn't let me down and I love.  Though the only reason I got it was because it was included in my schools tuition, I still think it's very worth it.  Its great to do work on (I use it for maya, zbrush and programs like that ) and mine has had upgrades on it so its pretty powerful and playing steam games on it is great and starcraft 2 too. You can bootcamp it too if you want to get windows on it and play any game or whatever else you want.  And even though its very sexy to look at and very clean it is expensive so thats probably the biggest draw back there.  There's a lot to say about it but it really comes down to what your going to use it for.  But if you don't mind the price its definitely a great thing to own, and just look at the giantbomb crew they all have macbooks.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dany

Take a look at the 15 inch. I wished I got that one

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'd go with a Macbook Pro. I got the standard Macbook this year and while it hasn't let me down at all in terms of hardware and performance, it looks fuckin ugly compared to my friends' sleek Macbook Pros. 

loganwtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By loganwtf

I bought a 15" Macbook Pro with the i5 chip in May and I have been extremely happy with it.  It runs great, feels great and looks great.  I've even gotten back into PC games because I can load up Windows 7 on BootCamp.  If you have the money take the step up to the 15" MBP, you won't be disappointed.

also check out forums.macrumors.com - they have some pretty decent buying guides there to help you find what you want.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Typing this on a Pro. It's pretty sweet; good battery life, runs smooth, etc. And now that steam runs on macs, well...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" I'd go with a Macbook Pro. I got the standard Macbook this year and while it hasn't let me down at all in terms of hardware and performance, it looks fuckin ugly compared to my friends' sleek Macbook Pros.  "
This. I've had my Mac for two years and yeah, the hard drive died with in a month but it was an ex-display model and once I got a replacement, it's worked without a hitch, only now it looks so bad when compared to the MacBook Pro. If you can afford it, go for it.
RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By RVonE

What do you need your macbook to do? I use mine for writing. I have the macbook pro 13inch model and it serves its purpose well.
church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By church069

I just recently bought a MacBook Pro 13 inch Spring 2010 model, and I've been loving it so far.  It's nice sturdy machine that can do just about anything I would like a laptop to do.  It's also able to play games quite well.  Team Fortress 2 and more recently Starcraft 2 run just fine on it, also Bootcamp is available if you still need Windows for anything.  The only drawback spec wise is that it has a Core 2 Duo processor instead of the newer Core i# series, but it's not really noticeable on the Mac OS though it is more noticeable on Windows.

If you want portability, the 13 inch MacBook Pro is an excellent choice.  It's the least expensive Pro model, very easy to carry around, and still quite a power house considering it's size.

If you want more power and are not to worried about the size and pricing, then 15 inch model would probably be a better choice.

dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By dunderri

If you just want an easier-to-use computer that is sleak and well-rounded, then get the Macbook Pro. I have one, and before I got it, I only had an iPod. They're pretty good computers that last, and I'm pretty sure viruses are non-existent. I'm using mine for college so if your looking for something like that, then I would suggest one.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Hey, if you've got the dough, just about the most reliable and fast computer out there is the mac pro, of course it's way overpriced.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheHBK

If you have that much money to blow, go with a 15 inch macbook pro.  The one with the higher resolution screen, do they still make 2 versions of the 15 inch like that? 
But personally, if you are just getting a computer, and dont really do video, then a 13 inch one is the way to go.  Consider the new plain macbook, because the only difference between that and the pro is the aluminum casing, but that casing sure is nice. 
However, I will say that while I am happy with my Macbook pro, I still think it is over priced for what you can get for a PC laptop, and it just gets worse as you go with a bigger screen. 
I see that alienware laptop and only if that screen were higher res, i would want that.  For 850 bucks, and the great gaming abilities it has, I would totally get that.  Dealling with Mac OS is such a pain in the ass because a lot of times you feel like yeah, it can be easier to use, but this shit just doesnt do what I want it to do when i want it to do it.  Removing and installing programs is easy.  But moving files sucks ass.  It fucking copies everything instead of cutting!  WTF!!!!  And keeps asking to update some fucking camera compatibility every fucking 2 months.  Shut the fuck up, I dont need to update that shit.  And ever since I installed Mac OS 10.6, Safari hangs so fucking much.  And this piece of shit gets so hot when I try to play a game.  WOW seems so taxing on it.  And why the fuck does every game on Steam run better in Windows with bootcamp than on Mac OS?  And I tried to get a monitor for it but Apple is run by fucking retards and has retards for engineers because they have the bright idea of making it so that the macbook pro cant display native 1080p.  Of course this is so that you have to buy one of their overpriced monitors.  And why the fuck do the keys light up all the way and can't be turned off in Windows?  Why do I have to eject every fucking thing I plug in?  And why is it so hard to find free programs for the stuff I want to do? 
So yeah, go get one, but I am going back to windows when I feel like I need a new computer, since I just wasn't won over completely.  While windows has problems, problems can be fixed.  Mac OS has quirks that Apple makes you think are what you want, so fuck them.