• 93 results
#1 Posted by MB (12425 posts) -

I didn't even realize there was a new Mad Max movie coming out - let alone that it was being made by George Miller and stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. This flick is looking amazing...they seem to have preserved the overall tone and look of the original movies while really amping up the action. Either that, or whoever cut this trailer is really good at their job. Finally a movie to look forward to.

What do you think about the Mad Max films, though? And have you even seen them? I just realized that the first one came out in 1979, so there's a good chance this will be the first Mad Max film for many Giant Bomb users. I recommend checking them all out, my favorite is The Road Warrior but they're all good.

Here's the trailer -

#2 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

This is a hell of a trailer. I am immediately in.

#3 Posted by csl316 (8691 posts) -

I got caught off guard with this.

And was just reminded that I should really watch these some day.

#4 Posted by jakob187 (21673 posts) -

YEP! MUST SEE! Looks like what I was hoping for!

#5 Posted by Veektarius (4838 posts) -

Hm, mixed feelings. The visual style seems right but the heavy special effects just don't fit my 'image' of that series. One of those things I could probably get over if the movie has a bit more downtime than the trailer portrays.

#6 Edited by GTCknight (695 posts) -

Well I'm in. Been a long time since I've been to a theater.

EDIT: just read the other half of the post (was to interested to see the trailer). I like all of the Mad Max films (or at least the ones I can remember anyway) and oddly don't like one over the other either.

#7 Posted by Aegon (5643 posts) -

Shit be cray.

Excellent trailer. Don't plan on seeing the original due to the Mel factor.

This however, I'll be looking out for.

#8 Posted by SunBroZak (1117 posts) -

So is the upcoming Mad Max game going to be a movie tie-in? It sounds like they're planned for similar releases.

#9 Posted by Brackstone (66 posts) -

That was a really good trailer. Initially I thought Charlize Theron would be the villain, but it's looking more like the villain will be Hugh Keays-Byrne, which is the best possible thing.

#10 Posted by Chuncho_Munos (45 posts) -

I personally prefer the original mad max to road warrior. The world seemed more interesting when it was a cross between the current world and the apocalypse, it made Mel Gibson's dark streaks stand out a bit more, which I felt were some of the more interesting character moments. This new mad max seems to heavily evoke road warrior which is fine, but a desert post apocalypse setting is more familiar to me than Australian towns/roadways and so feels less original, creative and interesting in general to me. However, I wish this film the best,and hopes it turns out ok, was just hoping for something more.

#11 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

Yes yes, double yes. Tom Hardy is one of my favorite actors, and this looks very well directed. Gimme gimme gimme!

#12 Posted by TheHT (11292 posts) -

Wow indeed.

I should watch all the old ones straight through. I've seen em in parts and chunks but never completely.

#13 Posted by Sessh (818 posts) -

Well, trailer looks pretty good and since I've always been a huge Mad Max fan I'm definitely gonna watch this one too.

As for the original trilogy, I always kinda thought the first one should pretty much stand on it's own, since it's such a different style of movie to the other two. First one's my favorite also, because it's just a really grim/bleak/brutal movie, which you don't see very often anymore.

#14 Posted by Zlimness (555 posts) -

Holy shit, looks brutal and ridiculous. I love it. From the trailer, it almost seems like a remake of Road Warrior. Not that it's a bad thing, but I hope there's more to it than 'just' a big chase sequence. Anyhow I'm really pumped.

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11031 posts) -

Is it good? I don't want to see it, I'll just wait for the movie. No matter how awful Beyond Thunderdome is, I can't not go see a new Mad Max movie.

Moderator Online
#16 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2010 posts) -

@mb said:

new Mad Max movie coming out - Tom Hardy

This is literally all I needed to hear to be into this. Cannot wait, loved the Mad Max movies.

#17 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@veektarius:

The movie has been described as one long, continuous action scene, no downtime for anybody. George Miller also said the vast majority of the action is practical.

#18 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1748 posts) -

Yep, that looks pretty good. Damn well better be rated R, too.

I gotta be honest, though. The first Mad Max is one of the worst, most incomprehensible movies I've ever seen. The second is a classic, and while I've never seen Beyond Thunderdome, I don't think I'm missing much. Seems kinda weird to be excited for a new movie in a franchise that has only one good entry to begin with, but yeah, I'd say I'm pretty pumped for this new one.

#19 Posted by Daneian (1232 posts) -

This film sure likes it super models.

#20 Posted by A_E_Martin (219 posts) -

I've been waiting forever for this, it was meant to come out ages ago. Looks fantastic! Nothing gets me more excited than the words "practical effects".

The only one I haven't seen is Beyond Thunderdome. Might have to check that out in the meantime, however bad it might be.

#21 Posted by Humanity (9275 posts) -

@onekillwonder_: Beyond Thunderdome is amazing. They get locked in a giant dome-shaped cage with bungee cords strapped to their backs and weapons stuck around the cage..

For some reason I mainly remember Beyond Thunderdome.

#22 Posted by EuanDewar (4938 posts) -

The look of Charlize Theron's character is quite perfect. Colour me excited.

#23 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

Looks good! Having never seen a Mad Max movie before, do I need to see them before I catch this new one? The only Mad Max I've experienced in my youth was from when MTV actually played videos...

Man, cheesy obligatory 80s epic sax man and singing children aside, the clips of the movie look ballsnasty. I really need to see Beyond Thunderdome.

#24 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6199 posts) -

I want to come into this one knowing as little as I possibly can, so I'm deliberately avoiding trailers,. That said, I'm super glad to hear this looks cool. Loved the original films.

#25 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@bonorbitz: Fury Road is supposed take place after the first movie. They're all worth watching, though.

#26 Posted by AMyggen (3066 posts) -

Still not sure about the PG 13 rating, but this looks promising for sure.

#27 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@dallas_raines: So do you think they're ignoring the other movies after the first film (like how Superman Returns ignored Superman III and IV) or are they sandwiching this one in?

#28 Posted by Humanity (9275 posts) -

@amyggen said:

Man what?? PG13.. that trailer looked gritty as hell. The lord giveth with one hand.. and taketh away with the other..

#29 Posted by MB (12425 posts) -

@humanity said:

@amyggen said:

Man what?? PG13.. that trailer looked gritty as hell. The lord giveth with one hand.. and taketh away with the other..

I wasn't aware the MPAA had even rated it yet - seems way too early for that. Maybe I'm missing something.

#30 Edited by AMyggen (3066 posts) -

@humanity said:

@amyggen said:

Yeah, from what I can gather the studio is going for a PG-13 rating. The trailer looks awesome, but with a movie franchise like Mad Max, going PG-13 is always a huge red flag.

#31 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@bonorbitz: There's a big time gap between Max and Road Warrior, so they can sandwich whatever they want into it, but Miller also said they aren't necessarily bound by canon and continuity. It's a loose sequel.

#32 Posted by Humanity (9275 posts) -

@mb said:

@humanity said:

@amyggen said:

I wasn't aware the MPAA had even rated it yet - seems way too early for that. Maybe I'm missing something.

I hope not because this trailer looked surprisingly great. I knew this movie was in some sort of limbo, being in production for several years now, and that usually means the end products is terrible.

So either they did a bang up job cutting up the trailer - and I have to admit I've seen a few good trailers in the past that didn't translate to good movies - or this will actually be a very good picture. Let's hope for the latter.

#33 Edited by A_E_Martin (219 posts) -

@amyggen said:

@humanity said:

@amyggen said:

Yeah, from what I can gather the studio is going for a PG-13 rating. The trailer looks awesome, but with a movie franchise like Mad Max, going PG-13 is always a huge red flag.

Nowhere has it been said that it will be PG-13. And even if it does end up being so, it doesn't automatically mean that it'll be bad.

#34 Posted by conmulligan (509 posts) -

A lot of that trailer is stunning, but Mad Max's post-apocalyptic aesthetic still does nothing for me. Is Fury Road meant to be a sequel or a reboot? I feel like the messaging around it has been really scattershot.

#35 Edited by Veektarius (4838 posts) -
#36 Edited by AngriGhandi (779 posts) -

I read an article about this movie that made it sound really promising. Almost 100% real stunts and practical effects on those crazy-ass car chases, which is amazing - and these days, is practically enough to make me want to see a movie all by itself.

On top of that, apparently George Miller originally laid out the entire movie years ago using storyboards with no dialogue at all, so the cinematography and visual storytelling are going to be really strong and prominent.

I mean, I originally thought this whole thing was going to be another insultingly pointless Total Recall or Robocop style remake, but it's beginning to sound like it might actually be just about the opposite of that! I'm pretty excited.

#37 Posted by Sterling (2314 posts) -

I thought this was going to be about the game. But that looks fantastic.

#38 Posted by AMyggen (3066 posts) -

@conmulligan: You're right. I was sure I had read something indicating that it would be PG-13, but I can't really find anything solid about it now. Still, with the kind of money the studio is putting behind the film, it'll probably end up being PG-13. There's little modern precedent of a modern movie with that kind of budget getting a R-rating.

You're right that a PG-13 rating doesn't make a movie bad by definition. But there's few examples of PG-13 "reboots" (or prequels or whatever this movie is) of R-rated franchises being good. Still, this movie has a great director, so here's hoping.

#39 Posted by GunstarRed (5189 posts) -

That is a very cool trailer.

#40 Edited by noboners (83 posts) -

On paper this movie has a lot going for it and the trailer was well put together, however I am a little bummed that it doesn't really reveal anything about the story. It was just a super cut of awesome action scenes.

#41 Posted by Yummylee (21665 posts) -

Hot diggity... While I remember thinking the first two Mad Max movies were frankly pretty bad (haven't seen the third), this here looks pretty awesome.

#42 Posted by cmpLtNOOb (195 posts) -

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently Max only has 16 lines of dialogue in the entire movie.

#43 Posted by pinner458 (788 posts) -

@yummylee: I didn't like them when I was a kid either, I think I found them confusing and boring.

#44 Posted by development (2350 posts) -

feat. Endless Desert Expanses 1, 2, and 3

That's a whole lot of driving. I only watched like 40 minutes of Road Warrior before I got too bored to continue, but I'm pretty sure they exit the vehicles and investigate some mutants, or... something?

Looks cool, anyway.

I don't like Charlize Theron, but I like Tom Hardy.

#45 Posted by wrecks (2260 posts) -

All In.

#46 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4816 posts) -

Well shit. That really looks like a Mad Max movie.

#47 Edited by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

Yep, that's George Miller directing all right. I'm optimistic -- though it's tempered with the memory of MM3, which... I don't know... it's kind of, Meh... of course I haven't seen it since first run in the theater... maybe I should watch again...

#48 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1032 posts) -

So is the upcoming Mad Max game going to be a movie tie-in? It sounds like they're planned for similar releases.

I think it's more like Dark Knight/Arkham rather than an actual tie in.

Also Thunderdome is the best Mad Max film

#49 Edited by believer258 (11914 posts) -

I actually bought and watched all three Mad Max movies earlier this year. I think their lower budgets really show, but they're still pretty good. Well, the first two are. The third one... not so much. Pigshit? Gross.

I like the first Mad Max best. It had a better story, seeing Max break down into a "shell of a man" was better-done than seeing him built up again, supposedly, in The Road Warrior. Toecutter is a better bad guy, the "not-quite" apocalypse was pretty interesting-looking, and it had a really weird and unique atmosphere. The action is impressive for the budget but it's still not all that thrilling and Max cuts through most of Toecutter's gang a little too quickly (and they're all placed a little too conveniently). The Road Warrior has much better action (I wish he got to use that car more) but Lord Humungus just wasn't a terribly threatening villain. The story in general is all right but, I dunno, the only interesting character is Max.

Beyond Thunderdome's fight between Max and Master Blaster was pretty cool, but the rest of that movie is pretty stupid.

This trailer looks pretty cool, but I wish there were more story hints. I mean, I'm A-OK with one long, bloody car chase and some thin context, but it would be cool to know some more context.

#50 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5517 posts) -

This reminds me, I need to see the Mad Max movies. Never seen them. Oh, and the new movie looks amazing. Kinda makes me more excited for the Mad max game in development.