#1 Edited by bigjeffrey (4908 posts) -

Soo.. Is anyone watching?

Really liking this season Don is pretty much in doing nothing after getting canned after that amazing Hersey speech but ended up back at SDCP (I forgot what the office is called) as a lackey and that no Drinking Clause WHAT

Sucks that its coming to a end but man what a rids it's been, writing has stayed solid for what 7 years???? (goddamn)

~~~~ Episode 7 Spoilers

RIP bert

every one's reaction

#2 Posted by jsnyder82 (730 posts) -

Everybody is being a tad harsh to Don this year. I mean, he made Sterling Cooper what it is, and they're treating him like dog shit.

It's Sterling Cooper and Partners, by the way. SCP.

Also, Don has Lane Pryce's old office now. Spooky.

#3 Posted by Orange (206 posts) -

The last episode ended well. Hope next week's isn't a filler. Would like to see Don make some waves. Kinda seems like he's been taking baby steps, but his progress so far this season has been interesting to watch.

#4 Posted by RonGalaxy (3066 posts) -

I have no idea where this series is going to end up (in the end), and that's part of why I love it.

A part of me was like 'it only took 3 episodes for don to be back in the office and everything going back to the way they were'. Part of that is true, but Dons place and dynamic at the office is completely flipped upside down now, and I think thats pretty great. His reaction to having to work copy under Peggies direction was fantastic, especially the stone look on his face.

#5 Posted by jsnyder82 (730 posts) -

I have no idea where this series is going to end up (in the end), and that's part of why I love it.

A part of me was like 'it only took 3 episodes for don to be back in the office and everything going back to the way they were'. Part of that is true, but Dons place and dynamic at the office is completely flipped upside down now, and I think thats pretty great. His reaction to having to work copy under Peggies direction was fantastic, especially the stone look on his face.

Am I the only one who was wondering what happened to the window in Don's office when he threw the typewriter? I can only assume the glass fell and shredded some poor soul's face down on the street below.

#6 Edited by Chaser324 (6394 posts) -

I'm definitely glad to see Don taking some steps to turn his life around and begrudgingly starting to working his way back up from the bottom. He was such a scumbag through most of last season that I almost had trouble watching it.

#7 Posted by RonGalaxy (3066 posts) -

Uhhhhhhh....... What just happened with Ginsberg?

#8 Edited by bigjeffrey (4908 posts) -

Dude WTF he Went Crazy.

#9 Posted by pyromagnestir (4283 posts) -

I SHOULDN'T HAVE CLICKED THIS BEFORE WATCHING THE NEW EPISODE NOW I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO GINSBERG.

#10 Posted by Aegon (5471 posts) -

I pretty much have the same question. Why did they decide to make Ginsberg crazy out of the fucking blue?

#11 Edited by bigjeffrey (4908 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

I SHOULDN'T HAVE CLICKED THIS BEFORE WATCHING THE NEW EPISODE NOW I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO GINSBERG.

Ginsberg cut off his own nipple because of the computers taking over.

Schizophrenia

#12 Posted by bigjeffrey (4908 posts) -

@aegon said:

I pretty much have the same question. Why did they decide to make Ginsberg crazy out of the fucking blue?

well he's pretty much always seemed like the dude who can lose it at any minute.

#13 Posted by Aegon (5471 posts) -

@aegon said:

well he's pretty much always seemed like the dude who can lose it at any minute.

He had a sarcastic, quirky and sort of loud personality, but other than that he just seemed like an ambitious person trying to do his job. This doesn't make much sense.

#14 Posted by laserguy (443 posts) -

in Ginsbergs other life hes a lawyer in the valley.

#15 Edited by RonGalaxy (3066 posts) -

So I've been reading some stuff around the internet about Ginsberg going crazy. Apparently there were a bunch of signs pointing to potential schizophrenia. People actual predicted something like this would happen. It makes sense now, but I definitely didn't see it coming

#16 Edited by Sterling (2144 posts) -

I'm getting tired of the sub plot with his ex wife and the kids. That is the worst part of the show.

And that sucks Ginsberg wont be around for the rest of the season. I assume he wont be anyways. Not after that.

And I agree with some of the above, I have no idea what the end game is here. Does it end with Don dead. Does it end with him in jail? Does he retire? I have no expectation for how the show should end. So I doubt I will be disappointed with it.

#17 Posted by militantfreudian (108 posts) -

@sterling: I feel like the ending will be controversial; something like The Sopranos' perhaps.

Apart from last week's episode, this season has been incredible, in my opinion. I'm not finding any of the sub-plots to be boring or anything. Though it's kind of depressing that only two episodes are left until the mid-season finale?

#18 Edited by Sterling (2144 posts) -

@militantfreudian: Only one more I think. 6 episodes per split. I really hate that AMC does this. I hated it with Breaking Bad, and I hate they are doing it again with Mad Men.

#19 Posted by Chaser324 (6394 posts) -

@sterling: It actually is seven episodes per half-season...not that it's going to make the wait any easier.

I don't even really have an issue with the way AMC splits up these episodes, but I do take issue with the way it brands them. Why can't it just be season seven and season eight? Why does it have to be season seven part one and season seven part two? Six or seven episodes is a perfectly fine number to comprise a full season, and it's not like they aren't going to sell them as separate DVD/Blu-Rays.

I find the part-one/part-two branding particularly egregious in the case of The Walking Dead where the two halves are often totally different in terms of plot, setting, tone, etc. You would never be able to watch the two parts back to back without noticing a jarring shift in the middle.

#20 Posted by bigjeffrey (4908 posts) -

I think it'll end with Don dead somehow I mean there has been so much death foreshadowing for a long long time now

Also I really really hate that we will have to wait for the second half

#21 Edited by Aegon (5471 posts) -

I think the look-alike thread has been locked, so this is the only place for...:

Twinsies

#22 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4669 posts) -

@chaser324 said:

@sterling: It actually is seven episodes per half-season...not that it's going to make the wait any easier.

I don't even really have an issue with the way AMC splits up these episodes, but I do take issue with the way it brands them. Why can't it just be season seven and season eight? Why does it have to be season seven part one and season seven part two?

Short answer: money.

Long answer: The way television contracts work is that everyone on staff (production, actors, directors, writers, showrunners) are paid a set amount for a bundle of seasons. The contracts vary, but the most often used contracts are used for bundles of 3 seasons and bundles of 5. A network/channel can option to renew at the end of every season. That's how cancellations work, by the way. A network chooses not to order a new season in their contract.

At the end of each bundle of seasons, a new contract is drawn up to cover the next few seasons (or just one, in some cases). This is why you suddenly see popular shows like, say, Friends, with budgets and salaries ballooning to crazy levels. Because while the show got insanely popular, the staff, actors, writers, et cetera were still being paid by the original contract standards. Now for the less-than stellar, somewhat seedy shit:

Lead actors and in some cases important supporting players are often attributed with "executive producer" credits. Have you ever wondered why? Well the reason is so that the show can pay the actor much more than the base offered as an actor. It essentially gives the actor two paychecks and also gives the network/show an "out" when it comes to the other actors asking for more money. They can safely say "but he's not paid x amount of dollars" and technically tell the truth because their acting salary is the same as theirs (well, a little higher because they are the leads after all). It's underhanded and kinda shitty, but it's how a lot of shows manage to keep costs down once the original contract expires on a hit show.

Now as far as AMC goes, they split the episode order and keep it in the same "season" because it means they don't have to order/pay for an entirely new set of episodes. By doing half seasons they effectively get more mileage out of their current bundle by saying "but it's not a new season! It's technically 7B!"

Now this doesn't cover everything, and there is a lot to the inner workings of television that would be fun to explain, but this covers the gist of what you're asking.

#23 Posted by RonGalaxy (3066 posts) -

That ending was pretty spectacular. Affirms to me that Wiener and Co. are going to deliver a stellar series finale... Next year... I DONT WANT TO WAIT, GIVE IT TO ME NOW

#24 Posted by Sterling (2144 posts) -

She was born in 1898 in a barn, she died on the 37th floor of a skyscraper; she's an astronaut. - Bertrum Cooper.

#25 Posted by bigjeffrey (4908 posts) -

Holy shit what a amazing way to end the half season. Fuck this show, cant wait for the next half next year (sad face).

#26 Posted by Aegon (5471 posts) -

wat

#27 Posted by Roboculus92 (494 posts) -

I thought that was a pretty good finale. Can't wait to see how it ends next year.

#28 Edited by militantfreudian (108 posts) -

First of all, props to Matt Wiener and co. for handling the split season so brilliantly (well, at least the first half). I was very skeptical that it'd feel uneven in one way or another, but they totally delivered. The mid-season finale was equally remarkable; it just was thrilling. In fact, the entire seven episodes were an emotional roller coaster.

I was glad to see Roger have a more prominent role and getting significantly more screen time. I can't wait to see how the company fares under his management. Also, Peggy's presentation reminded me a lot of Don's meeting with Lucky Strike in the very first episode of the series. And finally, Joan has been pretty nasty towards Don this season (and for good reasons).

#29 Posted by Chaser324 (6394 posts) -

These seven episodes are some of the best this show has delivered. I was really down on Mad Men after last season, but now I'm fully reinvested in it and can't wait to see how it wraps up.

#30 Posted by liquidsnakegfer9 (145 posts) -

That ending was fucking perfect, its like Wiener was trolling all the people who complained about the sopranos ending. It was pretty much the best sendoff they could have given to Cooper, especially considering the fact that the actor who plays him used to do a ton of Broadway stuff.

Also wasn't Ginsberg born in a concentration camp or something? I always figured he must have had some serious mental scarring if he lived through that.

#31 Posted by pyromagnestir (4283 posts) -

Well that was delightful.

#32 Edited by Milkman (16618 posts) -

No Mad Men until 2015 is some fucking cruel and unusual punishment. I love this goddamn show so much. Please hurry back.

#33 Posted by Lukeweizer (2639 posts) -

@milkman said:

No Mad Men until 2015 is some fucking cruel and unusual punishment. I love this goddamn show so much. Please hurry back.

Is it just me, or did Bert look superimposed during that whole sequence? He's got that different glow and shadow about him that makes it look like he was on a greenscreen, then added to the shot.