Major MLB Suspensions handed down.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Pretty hilarious. ESPN has the list, and its mostly minor-leaguers, but it also includes: Nelson Cruz of the Texas Rangers, Everth Cabrera of the San Diego Padres and Jhonny Peralta of the Detroit Tigers, as well as a reliever called Antonio Bastardo, and I'm really curious how anyone in that family line didn't change their names at some point.

And A-Rod, who's probably going to appeal his suspension in front of an arbitrator. Which should lead to some interesting away games if he's playing for the Yankees. I'm guessing he gets more than few batteries thrown at him in the outfield while he plays.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By oldenglishc

Not even trumped-up drug charges can stop the mighty Tiger juggernaut.

Didn't Milhouse Van Houten have an Uncle Bastardo?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm pretty surprised that MLB policy is such that a player can play until their suspension appeal is finished. Seems like it kinda undermines the suspension being handed down in the first place.

Also, there's no way A-Rod is still playing in like 2015/2016, right?

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By subject2change

Even as a Yankee fan, ban A-Rod. Seriously ban any player that has used them and while we are at it, strip all those cheating fucks of their records (homeruns, hits, etc).

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty surprised that MLB policy is such that a player can play until their suspension appeal is finished. Seems like it kinda undermines the suspension being handed down in the first place.

It is by definition a 211 game suspension. So if he manages to appeal through the end of this season he would still come back mid-2015,

The Yankees owe him 21 million dollars in 2017 so HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By erhard

It's funny how the least physical of the big American sports is the one that tests most stringently for doping.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

As a Rangers fan I'm sad to see Cruz on the list. It seems to me like him, Beltre and Andrus are the guys who make that a fun team, which is making the whole team perform well. I think the rest of the players will do worse if he's out of the clubhouse and the team as a whole might slump. Maybe our pitching will pick up the slack. We've got Feliz, Harrison, Lewis and Kirkman possibly coming back this month.

From the other point of view, it seems kind of unfair to serve a penalty if there is still the possibility you won't be found guilty of anything. That's why you can get out of jail on bail for most charges.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

It's funny how the least physical of the big American sports is the one that tests most stringently for doping.

They play a crazy amount of games though so that balances it out.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@gorillamopena said:

@erhard said:

They play a crazy amount of games though so that balances it out.

Yeah, baseball could be compared to a marathon in that sense. Not a lot of physical strain (though certainly not none either. These dudes are in really good shape.) but far, fare more games. It requires more endurance.

And some reports are saying the evidence against A-Rod is really damning so I could definitely see this ending in a lifetime ban.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

As a Rangers fan I'm sad to see Cruz on the list.

To be honest, while it was was an error in judgment on his part, it's also a situation where it's not like he was already in prime shape and just trying to go beyond it, much in the same way that Canseco and McGwire did. He was ill, lost a lot of weight, was worried about whether he'd get to play in some important games for a club during one of their most important times, and decided to go with it in order to get back to where he needed to be. I wouldn't put Cruz in the same place as some of these other cats.

It is sad to see Cruz getting benched, though. The Rangers are already hurting enough.

dizzmotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Late inning Phillies games are going to get very interesting now that Bastardo is gone. He is probably the only consistent relief pitcher that they have.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Leave it to A-Rod to be the weenie of the bunch. If Ryan Braun can take his suspension after that shit show he made a few years back, A-Rod should just take his suspension and be glad he hasn't been banned for life.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jakob187: I know this is bullshit!! We're only 1 1/2 games behind Oakland for the division lead after taking 2/3 over the weekend. As much as I want the Rangers to get far into the postseason though, I'm really scared of the National League this year. Atlanta, and Pitts are fucking beasts this year and I can't write off the Cards either even though theyre in second place.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@breadfan said:

Leave it to A-Rod to be the weenie of the bunch. If Ryan Braun can take his suspension after that shit show he made a few years back, A-Rod should just take his suspension and be glad he hasn't been banned for life.

The reason he's challenging it is because he wants to break the all time home run record and at his age he can't afford to miss any time if he wants to get there. Hopefully he never plays again.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Isn't he guaranteed like six million dollars if he breaks that record, too?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

@mosespippy said:

As a Rangers fan I'm sad to see Cruz on the list. It seems to me like him, Beltre and Andrus are the guys who make that a fun team, which is making the whole team perform well. I think the rest of the players will do worse if he's out of the clubhouse and the team as a whole might slump. Maybe our pitching will pick up the slack. We've got Feliz, Harrison, Lewis and Kirkman possibly coming back this month.

@ajamafalous said:

From the other point of view, it seems kind of unfair to serve a penalty if there is still the possibility you won't be found guilty of anything. That's why you can get out of jail on bail for most charges.

I'm just comparing it to NFL suspension policy, which (I believe) is such that you can only play once your appeal process has been completed, providing you appealed successfully.

Also, I would imagine they handed down the suspension in the first place because they had enough evidence.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breadfan said:

@ll_exile_ll: Isn't he guaranteed like six million dollars if he breaks that record, too?

I believe he has all kinds of bonuses set to kick in at various home run milestones along the way to 763.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

And A-Rod, who's probably going to appeal his suspension in front of an arbitrator. Which should lead to some interesting away games if he's playing for the Yankees. I'm guessing he gets more than few batteries thrown at him in the outfield while he plays.

AWAY games? Rorie, I think you underestimate the degree to which even Yankee fans hate ARod. Not only do they think he's a narcissistic jackhole, they think he underperforms, disappears in the playoffs, and his contract is an albatross resulting in them spending less money to avoid harsher luxury tax penalties than they've faced in the past.

Today's Post had a picture of him and the big, bold caption of GO AWAY.

(Also, he plays third base...)

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Well it's different for Cruz since he's pretty much already made a public statement admitting to it.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breadfan said:

I believe he has all kinds of bonuses set to kick in at various home run milestones along the way to 763.

He gets 6 million if he hits 13 home runs to pass Willy Mays

It sounds like his arbitration will be in November allowing him to finish out this season.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By breadfan

Just the audacity of A-Rod playing tonight annoys me to no end. If I were one of his teammates I would be furious.

Also this is pretty funny.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deadlydog

Guy's, I know nothing about sports except the top tier athletes of all pro sports are involved with performance enhancing drugs.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@gorillamopena: I honestly don't think he's even physically capable of breaking that record. He could barely turn on fastballs before he was injured.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Can't wait to hear Jeff "Breaking Ball" Gerstmann's take on this.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, with the White Sox playing like ass, and with the high expectations Chicago has with the Hawks and Bulls now... I'm kind of glad I've just been avoiding baseball this year. Just seems like a huge bummer all around.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guy's, I know nothing about sports except the top tier athletes of all pro sports are involved with performance enhancing drugs.

Not necessarily.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

@mosespippy said:

To be honest, while it was was an error in judgment on his part, it's also a situation where it's not like he was already in prime shape and just trying to go beyond it, much in the same way that Canseco and McGwire did. He was ill, lost a lot of weight, was worried about whether he'd get to play in some important games for a club during one of their most important times, and decided to go with it in order to get back to where he needed to be. I wouldn't put Cruz in the same place as some of these other cats.

It is sad to see Cruz getting benched, though. The Rangers are already hurting enough.

What sucks as well is he's not even going to appeal it. He's gonna go ahead and serve the suspension.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As a Yankee fan, this season sure has been interesting...

From a purely baseball standpoint, I'm happy to have A-Rod back simply because he can't be any worse the revolving door of minor league third basemen that we have trotted out this season so far. If he does end up being suspended for the 200+ plus games (which I'm sure he will), I'm not going to exactly cry about getting some of that money off the books either.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

As a Yankee fan, this season sure has been interesting...

From a purely baseball standpoint, I'm happy to have A-Rod back simply because he can't be any worse the revolving door of minor league third basemen that we have trotted out this season so far. If he does end up being suspended for the 200+ plus games (which I'm sure he will), I'm not going to exactly cry about getting some of that money off the books either.

As a fellow Yankee fan myself, I'm almost ready to throw in the towel on this season with all the injuries, aging players and A-Rod drama even though they've managed to stay above .500. I'm glad they're giving some of these young third basemen a chance at the majors, but they've all been abysmal. I know A-Rod will actually contribute to some degree, but injuries had definitely taken their toll. He'll be no more than an average hitter the rest of his career. I was hoping for the lifetime ban just to get the Yankees out of that dumb contract they gave A-Rod.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Tesla

Big baseball fan, I wish they would just stop caring so much about doping. Big muscles don't give you the hand eye coordination to catch up to a 95 mph fastball. What they do is turn singles to doubles, doubles to home runs and make the game more exciting. It's not like entering a cheat code where taking a little human growth hormone gives you sudden baseball skill; you're slightly stronger and your muscles recover a little faster in an insanely long and arduous season.

Why shouldn't a player be able to weigh the pros and cons of various drugs and their effects and choose to use them or not? Remember Sosa and McGuire going after the home run record? That shit was exciting and helped bring baseball back from the grave after the player strike of the mid 90s.

Baseball is still awesome, but this crusade against doping doesn't make the game better, or more "pure" or whatever else. Just about everyone was doping back in the day. Baseball has a long and storied relationship with drugs.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Mets fan, Jordany Valdespin should get a refund. The steroids clearly didn't work.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really sad to have this happen with Cruz. Fans have chanted "Cruuuuuzzz" for years in support of him, and he betrayed their trust. Hopefully he really will learn from this suspension.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

It's pretty disgusting that this didn't result in a lifetime ban. A-Rod is a stain on the sport who should not be allowed to play. I'm glad Yankees fans are also upset by this, because the worse thing that could happen would be him getting any support for them. It was hard not to be pissed when I saw he's appealing, because of course the greedy bastard is.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

@mosespippy said:

If you even believe him he's still doing what everyone else is doing. He used a substance that he knew was cheating in order to gain an advantage.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

@mosespippy said:

What sucks as well is he's not even going to appeal it. He's gonna go ahead and serve the suspension.

The Rangers have 50 regular season games left. He'll be able to play in the playoffs this way, assuming the Rangers make it.

Aristotled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aristotled

@mosespippy: The chances we will make the playoffs with essentially at least 2 dead positions offense wise (DH and Craig Gentry) are pretty slim, woulda been hard even with Cruz anyway. It's more in his interests to serve his suspension going into Free Agency so he can play for another team. I highly doubt he took the suspension for playoff purposes.

I mean I suppose maybe He and JD had talked it out before it came down, it just seems highly unlikely.

And frankly to anyone who wants to get on the High Horse of him betraying the trust of the fans should put yourself in his shoes.

He was a 4A ball-player (bounced between majors and Triple A) for a long time. He either takes PED's to thrust himself into the majors so he can get a contract or at least Major League Minimum(because he never played in the majors for a long enough stint for it) to be set-up for life or he goes back to being a Mechanic in a 2nd World country for the rest of his life because minor league plays get paid a pittance by comparison roughly 2100 bucks a month WHILE YOU ARE PLAYING.

So yea if I was Cruz I woulda done the exact same thing

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

What were the drugs? I'm always curious if medicine will someday produce a "safe" or "healthy" steroid of sorts, and the most likely place for such a drug to turn up would be where people are betting hundreds of millions on these guys to perform their absolute best.

Aristotled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levio: It was Human Growth Hormone or HGH. No one does steroids anymore ( at least anyone with 1/4th of a brain) .

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I am a complete hypocrite for adding A-Rod to my fantasy team!

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MOAB

@dizzmotron said:

Late inning Phillies games are going to get very interesting now that Bastardo is gone. He is probably the only consistent relief pitcher that they have.

an interesting phillies game would be great! it's been pretty bad. :c