Making a "game" in Twine

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Edited By jaqen_hghar

I've always wanted to make a game. And so, throughout the years, I have have dabbled in scripting. Didn't understand enough to stick with it. I tried Gamemaker. Did tutorials and that was it. I've made mods for games like Morrowind. The one I spent most of my time on was a big player house on a separate new island. It was a Dwemer ruin, with everything you needed. Even had a fast-travel portal system, with images of where you would end up making the illusion that you actually just walked through the portal. Got too ambitious, never published it.

So I have a track record of trying out something, then not sticking with it. There are several reasons for this. I only have so much time, and I already stretch it pretty thin between work, girlfriend, books and games. I am also impatient, and want to see results fast. And I get bored. My book-review-ish blog hasn't been updated in months, even tough I promised to write about every book I read this year.

Maybe this is something I can finish. Twine is a lot easier to use than any of the other programs I have tried. The fact that it is only text based (you can add images and such, but I cannot draw for shit) means it takes less skill. So in one fell swoop I can make a "game" while honing my writing.

I'm still at the beginning of the story, but I already see how easy, or how complicated, I can make it. I got branching points, a hidden points system that will determine what you can do later on, I got different color text for how you perceive your companion.

I thought Twine was only for making simple "choose your adventure" games. But you can do a lot more!

I don't have my own website, so I don't think I can publish anything of what I am doing yet. Haven't looked into it, but I will make some sort of teaser version and post it somewhere. Will update this when I do.

Anyone else made something in Twine? I know there are a lot of talented duders out there, and it would be fun to see what has been made!