• 96 results
#1 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
A virus with the potential to kill up to half the world’s population has been made in a lab. Now academics and bioterrorism experts are arguing over whether to publish the recipe, and whether the research should have been done in the first place.   
Fouchier’s strain is as contagious as the human seasonal flu, which kills tens of thousands of people each year, but is likely to cause many more fatalities if released.

"I can't think of another pathogenic organism that is as scary as this one," Paul Keim, a microbial geneticist who has worked on anthrax for many years, told Science Insider. "I don't think anthrax is scary at all compared to this." 

Ummm....kay.

So the end of the world is going to come from the Netherlands. I gotta say, I didn't see that coming.

Seriously, who the fuck thought this was a good idea?  "Hey, lets see if we can make the end of the world in a petri dish. FOR SCIENCE!"
#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

You know there are shit tons of deadly stuff like this in labs. All that Biological warfare tahts more or less banned...its all sitting in labs. 

#3 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Jesus christ. The name of the establishment responsible for this wouldn't happen to be Aperture Science would it?

#4 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

I feel like I hear a carbon copy of this story every year, so be scarred this time guys!

#5 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -
#6 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
You know there are shit tons of deadly stuff like this in labs. All that Biological warfare tahts more or less banned...its all sitting in labs. 
They have a lot of shit stored at CDC Atlanta, but I don't know of anything with a 50% mortality rate that is as communicable as the flu.
#7 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

T-virus leaked.

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
@The_Laughing_Man said:
They have a lot of shit stored at CDC Atlanta, but I don't know of anything with a 50% mortality rate that is as communicable as the flu.
But there is shit that will eat your flesh. Cause horrid pain and all that. 
#9 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@Fajita_Jim said:
@The_Laughing_Man said:
But there is shit that will eat your flesh. Cause horrid pain and all that. 
Most people survive that flesh-eating bacteria, like that former Canadian PM, what's-his-face a decade or so back.
#10 Posted by Dalai (7070 posts) -

Just half? We can do better than that, mankind.

#11 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@Dalai said:

Just half? We can do better than that, mankind.

Don't worry. I'm sure 3 billion rotting corpses littered about will do a decent job of whittling down the remaining numbers, whether they re-animate or not.
#12 Posted by N7 (3666 posts) -

You know guys, I'm probably, no, I'm an idiot for saying this, but I kind of think we do need this released into the public. Yes, of course I know what that means. But overpopulation is a thing right now and if we kill half of the people on this planet, think about all of what that could do for the planet. It could cut our resources in half and give the Earth more time to grow plants and trees and just about everything.

All it'll take is the push of a button, and we can save ourselves by killing ourselves. A biblical sacrifice to prolong the human race.

Nah, that's fucking stupid. You didn't think I was serious, did you? Think of all the famous people that would die! I don't want Robert Downey Jr. dead. That's a sad future without RDJ.

#13 Posted by dudeglove (8274 posts) -

Yes because That's Exactly What Will Happen.

#14 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

What the fuck?

#15 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

My pants give +20 to poison resistance so I reckon i'll be good.

#16 Posted by Kazona (3096 posts) -

Sometimes scientists can be really fucking stupid.

#17 Posted by Beforet (2933 posts) -

Gotta do something with that grant money.

#18 Posted by Bumpton (456 posts) -

Reminds me of The Stand! ...that's not a good thing.

#19 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3243 posts) -

What the fuck is the point in making shit like this? Scientists should be making technological advancements that evolve medical capabilities, architectural capabilities, and the quality of human life in total. these government powers love war so much compared to its people that they let the individuals who have the ability to save humanity destroy it instead. What the fuck are you going to achieve with that? A radiated planet?! Science is meant to solve problems, not create them, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!

GOD, THIS WORLD!

#20 Posted by SadPatrol (502 posts) -

I'll just get vaccinated so I'll be fine

#21 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3: A lot of research for possible cures for disseases come from the study of viruses and their evolution through different chemical reactions... So that's why they do it.

Anyways, Shaq-Fu HD collection next year? Let's do this.

#22 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I'm wondering what exactly they did though to increase the virulence that much. The reason H5N1 doesn't spread so easily from human to human is because it has an affinity for SA alpha 2,3 gal receptors which aren't found up in the nose but way down deep in the lungs. That makes it hard to spread via sneezing and coughing and shit. My guess is they probably changed it's receptor preference to SA alpha 2,6 gal, which are the receptors that human virus typically tend to bind to and are found in the upper respiratory tract. Sounds like they didn't have to do much to virus overall since H5N1 has such a high rate of mortality.

#23 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

I have the blood of a warewolf so I have 100% resistance to desease.

#24 Posted by Athadam (704 posts) -

This is a totally exaggerated title with no basis whatsoever... Just because it's more virulent doesn't mean it's going to kill HALF of mankind.

Where did they even make up that sort of number?

Catchier titles garner more attention but don't represent the truth.

Anyhow this sums up the real scientific value of research,

"However the very same data, if made available to the scientific community, could potentially allow humanity to prepare for an H5N1 pandemic, which Fouchier’s study has shown to be far more probable than was previously believed. Clamping down on freedom of information in the scientific domain may in the end leave us defenseless against the flu, should it arise naturally."

#25 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

What the fuck?

#26 Posted by imsh_pl (3313 posts) -

Just nuke Netherlands.

#27 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (489 posts) -

Contagion 2: Electric Boogaloo.

#28 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Humanity invented something that can kill humanity? Wouldn't be the first

#29 Edited by OmegaChosen (647 posts) -

Doing like five minutes of research on this, so it's very uninformed, it doesn't seem like Fouchier was going out of his way to make a virus that kills half of mankind. Like many other scientists he's been experimenting with the avian flu virus to try to see how exactly the virus could mutate out in nature and what would be the outcome of such mutations. It just so happened that messing with about five genes turned avian flu that much deadlier and now there's debate on whether he should publish his findings. On one hand people are worried that a potential terrorist could learn to make the virus, or something similar, if his findings are published. On the other hand, scientists world-wide could find themselves blindsided by the virus or some other similar strain of it that could potentially occur in the wild if the findings were prohibited from being released.

Again, this is just a few minutes on google. I'll be looking into it a little more to see if I'm way off base.

#30 Posted by MEATBALL (3475 posts) -

Awesome, more anxiety fuel!

#31 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

What the fuck is the point in making shit like this? Scientists should be making technological advancements that evolve medical capabilities, architectural capabilities, and the quality of human life in total. these government powers love war so much compared to its people that they let the individuals who have the ability to save humanity destroy it instead. What the fuck are you going to achieve with that? A radiated planet?! Science is meant to solve problems, not create them, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!

GOD, THIS WORLD!

For the same reason that they keep viruses which have been "exterminated" in labs as well. You never know where the next cure will come from. Viruses have a tendency to kill each other.

#32 Posted by CornishRocker (398 posts) -

Release the deadly neurotoxin, Netherlands!

#33 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -
#34 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

@SadPatrol said:

yep, that covers the most frequent common cold strains, most flu bacteria, as well all weaponized super-viruses

#35 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3243 posts) -

@Deusx said:

@Tru3_Blu3: A lot of research for possible cures for disseases come from the study of viruses and their evolution through different chemical reactions... So that's why they do it.

You've gotta point. :/

Well, hopefully they don't drop the test tube before they find a cure.

#36 Edited by MrCandleguy (813 posts) -
@Shadow said:

@SadPatrol said:

yep, that covers the most frequent common cold strains, most flu bacteria, as well all weaponized super-viruses

Oh actually? Fucking sweet. 
@N7 said:

You know guys, I'm probably, no, I'm an idiot for saying this, but I kind of think we do need this released into the public. Yes, of course I know what that means. But overpopulation is a thing right now and if we kill half of the people on this planet, think about all of what that could do for the planet. It could cut our resources in half and give the Earth more time to grow plants and trees and just about everything.  All it'll take is the push of a button, and we can save ourselves by killing ourselves. A biblical sacrifice to prolong the human race.      Nah, that's fucking stupid. You didn't think I was serious, did you? Think of all the famous people that would die! I don't want Robert Downey Jr. dead. That's a sad future without RDJ.

Save RDJ first, then push the big red button. 
#37 Posted by PandaShake (398 posts) -

Sounds like a script for the sequel of contagion.

#38 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@N7 said:

You know guys, I'm probably, no, I'm an idiot for saying this, but I kind of think we do need this released into the public. Yes, of course I know what that means. But overpopulation is a thing right now and if we kill half of the people on this planet, think about all of what that could do for the planet. It could cut our resources in half and give the Earth more time to grow plants and trees and just about everything. All it'll take is the push of a button, and we can save ourselves by killing ourselves. A biblical sacrifice to prolong the human race. Nah, that's fucking stupid. You didn't think I was serious, did you? Think of all the famous people that would die! I don't want Robert Downey Jr. dead. That's a sad future without RDJ.

You are at once confusing, intriguing, and scaring the ever-loving shit out of me.

#39 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

Looks like I'm moving to Madagascar.

#40 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

Some anthrax got stolen from a lab on my college campus a few years back. What it was was, some grad student or worker or something was crazy, and they were taking it to hold onto it like for their own research or something off campus. The only problem, of course, being that it's illegal to have anthrax like that, besides how dangerous it is. This was in the middle of all the anthrax scares when it was all big news. But IIRC, the person wasn't a terrorist or anything, and they weren't planning on using it maliciously, they were just...mildly insane.

#41 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Think of the poor poor cats......

#42 Posted by spazmaster666 (1991 posts) -

The problem with news stories like this is that they are designed to instill fear, not to inform. The fear strategy works though as it has already created no small uproar in the internet community (based on some quick google searches anyway).

#43 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@coakroach said:

That's funny, because mine are currently 20% poisonous.

#44 Posted by Hudlommen (56 posts) -

You have to die some way, who cares.

#45 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Well, that sucks..

#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Kudos for scientists doing whatever in the pursuit of science. I'm totally serious, this is awesome. The next logical step would be to develop a vaccine that can be mass-produced cheaply.

@RoyCampbell said:

Looks like I'm moving to Madagascar.

I LOL'd hard at that one.

#47 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
#48 Edited by Tebbit (4485 posts) -

@coakroach said:

Jesus man, hook me up with some of those pants. I don't want to have to get them off a rad-scorpion or nothin'. I'll pay big bucks.

@bunkerbuster05 said:

Contagion 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Contagion 1 was a freaking Electric Boogaloo. Contagion 2 would be Electric Boogaloo 2: Shabadoo. One.

#49 Posted by Sogeman (878 posts) -

The worst stuff is always made by us.

As long as I'm one of the survivors, I don't mind the apocalypse.

#50 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

They built some giant atom smasher under Europe that they actually thought might open a black hole and consume the Earth, or something. This isn't a big deal to me haha