• 75 results
#1 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Zach Snyder's Supahman movie just got a legit trailer so now we can see what it actually looks like.

They trumpet Nolan's attachment for obvious reasons, and this looks to be attempting the same move away from campy silliness that his Batman trilogy did. Which on the one hand, yay watchable Superman movie! But on the other hand, Superman's supposed to be a bit more cheerful, and this could very easily end up taking itself too seriously and just be boring as a result. I'm still getting a weird Tree of Life vibe (or at least, the same vibe I got from the Tree of Life's trailers, since I haven't actually seen that movie yet) which intrigues me more than anything else. There is a certain Americana nostalgia aspect to how Superman is seen these days, I think, so that seems like it could be a really interesting way to approach that aspect. It's already looking waay better than Superman Returns, though, and honestly I haven't been a big fan of most of Marvel's movie output (Avengers aside, and even that only in parts) so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Also: having that little squiggly detail on every part of his suit - boots, S, everything - just makes him look like a basketball. So that's cool I guess.

#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

Huh. It looks good but I'm still a little unsure of it. It looks a bit too droning. And I like me some droning shit. But we'll see.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

Also: having that little squiggly detail on every part of his suit - boots, S, everything - just makes him look like a basketball. So that's cool I guess.

Superman: The Man of Rubber

#4 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

This looks pretty great I will be fully onboard up until they do the noone nows who he is when he has glasses on. God I hope they don't do that it is so stupid.

#5 Edited by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

This looks pretty great I will be fully onboard up until they do the noone nows who he is when he has glasses on. God I hope they don't do that it is so stupid.

Man, I really hope they don't do the glasses thing.

I like the trailer, and I would love to get a great Superman movie. Figure if this does well we'll see a bunch of the DC guys get movies that lead to the inevitable Justice League movie. Still Snyder is iffy for me. (Also yea, that Tree of Life trailer vibe is defiantly there.)

EDIT: Also Michael Shannon looks awesome as Zod.

#6 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

Condoman.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Considering how it sounds like they're making a big deal over him 'coming out', I would imagine that that gets addressed in some capacity.

#7 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

It does look a little sad, but I could see that easily feeding into a Superman who earns his sincerity (which I think is key). Cautiously optimistic!

#8 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

like it better than the first trailer, that looked a bit to icelandic

#9 Posted by GunstarRed (5212 posts) -

I like.

#10 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Ravenlight said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

Condoman.

Faster than premature ejaculation! More powerful than... this is going nowhere good :/

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

@andriv said:

like it better than the first trailer, that looked a bit to icelandic

Xenophobe.

#12 Posted by LTSmash (630 posts) -

I'll be glad when Hollywood gets tired of using choirs in trailers.

#13 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@LTSmash: I'd rather lose the BWAAAAAAAAAAAMP first.

#14 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

I thought it was a pretty damn cool trailer, though I've been on board with this thing from the start. The Nolan/Goyer team has worked wonders in the past (minus TDKR), and I've always loved Snyder. I thought he did Watchmen perfectly for an adaptation (minus the acting, including the ending), and actually really, really enjoyed Sucker Punch, unironically even (minus the dialogue- story was actually pretty compelling once you think about it)!

#15 Posted by wrecks (2266 posts) -

Would be great to finally have a good Supes flick. Hope hope.

#16 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Looking good. Snyder's films are hit or miss for me. Watchmen Ultimate Cut is my favorite movie experience currently, so he definitely knows how to bring the goods. This could be quite awesome, albeit I'd rather have old & accomplished Superman, over yet another origin story. Maybe I'll get that on a later date, in a sequel, if all goes well with this.

#17 Edited by Cashewual (158 posts) -

The Zod design looks silly, which is to bad since Michael Shannon is such a capable actor. :(

#18 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

I'm not going to judge until I see the actual film.

I am getting really tired of these more mature approaches to children's characters. The tone of Superman is not supposed to be this overly ponderous, or pretentious.

Again, I can't judge based on this trailer. If they are trying to go with a mythical approach to Superman. Like something out of "Kingdom Come", then it may work.

Personally, I think the Marvel films have gotten the tone right for their films. It wears its comic roots on its sleave.

I think that is a better approach for Superman or even Batman. The Nolan films were fine, but that isn't a terribly accurate depiction of the character. At the end of the day, childish characters should stay childish characters. I see no reason to try to "grow them up."

#19 Posted by oraknabo (1471 posts) -

While I'm open to a decent Superman movie, to me it will never really be MY Superman. I know they will never do these things in a movie, but what I love about Superman is the Silver Age Mort Weisinger edited stuff with the Legion of Superheroes, Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, Olsen mutations, Mon-El, Kandor and all of the other crazy stuff. I know none of that was very popular in the Bronze age or in the 90s, but to me it's essential to enjoying Superman. I think Geoff Johns, Morrison and James Robinson have done a pretty decent job of restoring a lot of this stuff in the comics, but I still feel like we're a long way away from the movies ever going there.

#20 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

@JasonR86: haha, i'm icelandic. It looked like it was shot in iceland.

he probably just flies north for his job as a fisherman. Unless he does not land in kansas in this movie

#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

I'm not sure I get the hype. There must be some nostalgia for Superman out there, because the concept seems silly and the whole thing looks boring. Or maybe I just have a bad taste in movies, I don't know.

#22 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

@oraknabo said:

While I'm open to a decent Superman movie, to me it will never really be MY Superman. I know they will never do these things in a movie, but what I love about Superman is the Silver Age Mort Weisinger edited stuff with the Legion of Superheroes, Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, Olsen mutations, Mon-El, Kandor and all of the other crazy stuff. I know none of that was very popular in the Bronze age or in the 90s, but to me it's essential to enjoying Superman. I think Geoff Johns, Morrison and James Robinson have done a pretty decent job of restoring a lot of this stuff in the comics, but I still feel like we're a long way away from the movies ever going there.

X1000

Its this stupid post "Watchman", post modern deconstruction approach to EVERYTHING.

#23 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Ravenlight said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

Condoman.

Faster than premature ejaculation! More powerful than... this is going nowhere good :/

Before he ejaculates, his balls already ejaculated from within. He's that fast.

#24 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

@TooWalrus: Have you seen the 79' Superman film? I'm curious...

#25 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

@flindip: I have not. Though I haven't seen the older Batman movies either, and I thought the recent trilogy was quite good. A good movie should be able to stand on it's own.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Klei said:

@Ravenlight said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Ravenlight said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

Condoman.

Before he ejaculates, his balls already ejaculated from within. He's that fast.

That's actually a potentially dangerous medical condition. Probably caused by all those space rays he was bombarded with at a young age. Can Superman get super-cancer?

#27 Posted by BaneFireLord (2941 posts) -

That suit will never stop looking stupid to me.

#28 Posted by Cashewual (158 posts) -

Also, man of steel is a anagram for Enema Lofts. Just sayin...

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I like it!

#30 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Listen, Lex Luthor is nowhere to be seen and Supes gets to flex his fighting chops.

I'm in and I'll be there day one. Hopefully the end result warrants my inexplicable hype.

#31 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

Its interesting if they adapt clark to have glasses and a beard... probably make it more believable. That aside... Clark is supposed to be the goofy awkward guy and you can't make a good superman movie without him. So sure i'm sold on the superman but I don't know if they can pull of clark like in "Superman Allstars"

#32 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3881 posts) -

This is looking great so far. I like Snyder a lot when he's adapting someone else's material. He could use another hit after Sucker Punch (so bad). Plus Kevin Costner in something, bout time.

#33 Posted by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

@flindip: I think Kingdom Come is a great example of Superman done right, if they go in that direction I'll be into it. Also I totally agree, Marvel has done all its heroes justice, mixing a serious action movie with the fun of comics. On that note, the new Iron Man looks to be a little more dark.

#34 Posted by GunGunW (60 posts) -

Eh. I don't like the costume and how Nolan and Snyder are approaching it, I'll see it since I'm such a hardcore Superman fan, but I'm iffy on it.

#35 Posted by Acura_Max (65 posts) -

It looks good to me, Yo.

#36 Posted by CaLe (3995 posts) -

I wish I was Superman. This was a good trailer, but I wonder how they're gonna fit everything into one movie. I really felt like they tried to jam too much (time scale wise) into the most recent Batman film and the end result suffered for it. Anyway I would never be of the opinion that a movie 'shouldn't be made' for any reason whatsoever. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

#37 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

Cool trailer, digging the weird Terrance Malick-vibe.

#38 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

Looks great, but Nolan should stay far away from this.

#39 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

Like one said I'm cautiously optimistic. On one side: Nolan whose films I've loved a bit. And then there's Snyder where I haven't liked a single thing he's done (Dawn of the Dead MAYBE)

#40 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

With everybody on the Terrance Malick thing; if Snyder can do one thing right, it's create some really stunning and iconic imagery. Unlike Malick, he does most of it in a computer, but it's very cool stuff. Sucker Punch was lacking in that some, though, even if I ended up liking it.

Goyer seems to be a weird writer in general, though. He definitely isn't responsible for the memorable dialogue from Nolan's Batman trilogy, as he only wrote the story on the latter two films. His previous work is, well...not what I'd call inspiring for a film intending to take itself this seriously. Especially when his last writing job was Black Ops II.

...so, overall, I'm unsure about this movie in particular. I really like what it sets up for Justice League, as an already stoic Superman will feed into a nice counterpoint for Justice League. But the director/writer team doesn't match the tone, which also kind of doesn't match the source material. In my brain, this is going into the same compartment as Cloud Atlas.

#41 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

It was a better one than the first trailer, so I'm more interested. Nonetheless, I'm still not keen on all the changes they've made to the origin story here.

#42 Edited by Veektarius (4869 posts) -

Maybe I'm shallow, but I have trouble seeing how a guy who is physically gorgeous, brilliant, and powerful enough to do literally anything he wants to without fear of personal peril, could end up being a believably weighty character. Everything looks gorgeous, but setting Superman in the middle of it keeps on making me feel like I'm watching Schindler's List, but Liam Neeson has been replaced by the Green Power Ranger.

Summary: I don't like Superman

#43 Edited by oraknabo (1471 posts) -

@Veektarius: I get where you're coming from, but I find that attitude comes mostly from people who haven't ever really read Superman or only read him in the '80s and '90s. Looks and power aren't everything.

Superman is an orphan who lost his entire race and is isolated in a world where he has to keep secrets from even his closest friends for their own protection. I'm not saying that they ever got to Spider-Man-like depths of angst in the Silver age, but, especially as Superboy, he was constantly worried about people outing his secret identity. Superman also feels a huge weight of responsibility for having taken on the role of humanity's protector, they have done a lot of really good stories about him not being able to be everywhere at once. They have also done a lot with the fact that, just like Batman, he's at odds with himself about whether he would be willing to give up all the good he's done to go back and stop the thing that killed his parents. Some writers have also tackled the idea of how easily Superman could have turned out as a really huge problem for the Earth and it was just the stroke of luck that he ended up with the Kents and only through the strength of their parenting was he turned into such a decent, heroic guy.

All that said, I still like the stuff they built up around Superman a lot more than the character himself, but I think it's prejudiced to assume that there's no depth to a character that's stuck around for so long and writers like Alan More and Grant Morrison have jumped at the chance to write.

#44 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Looks surprisingly great. Regardless of my feelings on Superman, I'll see this because Christopher Nolan is involved.

#45 Edited by flindip (533 posts) -

@oraknabo said:

@Veektarius: I get where you're coming from, but I find that attitude comes mostly from people who haven't ever really read Superman or only read him in the '80s and '90s. Looks and power aren't everything.

Superman is an orphan who lost his entire race and is isolated in a world where he has to keep secrets from even his closest friends for their own protection. I'm not saying that they ever got to Spider-Man-like depths of angst in the Silver age, but, especially as Superboy, he was constantly worried about people outing his secret identity. Superman also feels a huge weight of responsibility for having taken on the role of humanity's protector, they have done a lot of really good stories about him not being able to be everywhere at once. They have also done a lot with the fact that, just like Batman, he's at odds with himself about whether he would be willing to give up all the good he's done to go back and stop the thing that killed his parents.

All that said, I still like the stuff they built up around Superman a lot more than the character himself, but I think it's prejudiced to assume that there's no depth to a character that's stuck around for so long and writers like Alan More and Grant Morrison have jumped at the chance to write.

If I may add, if someone wants to understand what Superman is all about and doesn't feel like trudging through the Silver Age stuff:

I highly recommend the Alex Ross illustrated/Paul Dini penned one off "Superman: Peace on Earth." That story represents what Superman is at his very core.

#46 Edited by Veektarius (4869 posts) -

@oraknabo: I don't want you to read too much into what I'm saying about Superman as a whole. I'm talking about this one particular trailer, and they've put this supermodel of a dude, brooding in this stark antarctic backdrop in his silly blue suit and red cape. It's not exactly as moving an image for me as it would be with someone a little less perfect, who had some actual reasons for self-doubt aside from the wildly implausible contrivances set against him by the movie.

If you've ever seen Immortals (Don't, if you haven't) my reaction to how they cast the gods as these 20-something supermodels is very similar

#47 Posted by oraknabo (1471 posts) -

@Veektarius: I get that. There's also no guarantee that the movie will manage to capture any of the stuff I mentioned. The conversation with Pa Kent about whether it was worth letting a bunch of kids die to protect his secret is a good start though.

#48 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

They need to show more of Michael Shannon. I'm lukewarm on Superman, but Shannon's being in it gives me a reason to see it.

#49 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4368 posts) -

It at least looks better than Superman Returns.

#50 Posted by PenguinDust (12533 posts) -

I am officially stoked for this project. I hope it doesn't disappoint like Green Lantern. I didn't dislike GL like others, but it was the least compelling and most problematic of the superhero movies released that summer of which there were four.