• 88 results
Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago
#51 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

Automatic, because why would I want to make my life any more difficult than it already is?

#52 Posted by oldenglishC (962 posts) -

My daily driver's an automatic and my "take it out on a nice day and possibly get a speeding ticket" car is a stick shift. So I guess the right answer is clutch-less manual.

#53 Edited by Kidavenger (3570 posts) -

I've had both, manual's are more fun for about 6 months then the novelty wears off and you are just shifting all the time.

Automatics may be more expensive to buy, but you will spend more over the life of the vehicle on clutch replacement for a manual. Also, good luck trying to sell your manual car when you are done with it, most people won't be interested.

If I was buying a weekend/summer sportscar, manual all the way; otherwise automatic no question.

#54 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

I can do either or, but day to day I prefer automatic. I drove a stick for about 5+ years and after getting a truck (have a house now and needed a truck bed for supplies), I have to say you can pay attention to traffic a lot better with an automatic. Which is something you really need when you're driving in America. The country where people turn into fucking maniacs when on the road. You REALLY need your 100% on the road when you have people really ready to run somebody off the road. I noticed that there was a difference in where my attention was when driving a stick. It seemed like maybe 80% road 20% stick at the worst.

The only people I know with a superiority complex towards manual transmission seem to be Europeans. Just watch an episode of Top Gear. That main mother fucker even said so himself. Sure he was probably joking a bit, but he meant it at the same time. In America people prefer automatic transmission, but nobody ever goes crazy over it.

#55 Posted by jgf (393 posts) -

It depends. Driving for fun - manual. Driving to get from A to B in the most comfortable way - automatic. The more you need to drive through city rush hour traffic, the better a brain dead automatic solution becomes. Constantly handling the clutch to switch between first and second gear, or staying below minimun speed of first gear is a huge pain in the ass. Otherwise driving a curvy mountain road without manual transmission is only half the fun.

#56 Edited by Nivash (241 posts) -

Well if you want an automatic you'll have to file an application for a Class 3 through the BATF which can be quite a hassle - oh, you're talking about cars?

In that case, manual. Automatic is easier on the driver but manual is easier on the engine if you use it even moderately competently. Besides, if you make a point of driving a manual you don't have to worry about having forgotten how to do it if you have to rent or borrow a car at some point.

Then again, maybe I'm biased since - like a few others have mentioned - automatics are rare in most countries outside the US, including my native Sweden. I honestly haven't even ridden in an automatic.

#57 Posted by NowSayPillow (183 posts) -

Manual. I'll never go back. Every time I need to borrow my fiance's car to drive to work I realize how incredibly boring driving an automatic is. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

#58 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

This only applies to more expensive cars that most of us don't drive, but for those that actually know cars: The most advanced duel clutch automatics now offer both better performance and fuel economy than manuals. Hence why pure manuals are becoming quite rare in high end sports cars.

As for us mere mortals, manuals are great once you get comfortable with them, but they're not the ideal choice if you're always in heavy traffic. They do effect the resale value so that's another con.

One more thing: To those giving people a hard time about eating while driving, stop pretending like all consumption in a vehicle only includes steak fucking dinners. If you're driving an automatic there's nothing wrong with munching on an apple while keeping eyes and most appendages applied to the road. There's plenty of on-the-road snacking that barely affects driving ability.

#59 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@vigil said:

@egg said:
@tycobb said:

Cons

• There are none.

bwahahaha

Then again, I don't own a car, and probably the cost factors weigh heavily in favor of manual.

But to say there are no cons... if I could choose between a manual or auto and the cost and upkeep cost of both cars the same.. I would choose auto.

Driving is a lot of hassle as it is, you want your full attention on the road, and all around you. Not on the stick.

It could be argued that having to be aware of gear changes requires the driver to be fully engaged in driving, while an automatic transmission allows for multi-tasking.

Someone previously mentioned that they may be eating or drinking something while driving, which isn't all that bad, but talking on a phone or much worse texting is commonplace, all of the above are much more difficult to do with a manual gear box.

It could be argued, but it would be a terrible argument.

#60 Edited by Giantstalker (1660 posts) -

I drive fairly large trucks and armored vehicles (15,000kg+) pretty regularly, and they're all automatic transmission. Never had any issues both on- or off-road.

For people who drive professionally - and I don't mean racing - it's just less to manage while you deal with other things on the job. Never bothered learning to drive stick as a result.

#61 Posted by super2j (1709 posts) -

One day while in the car of my cuz who drives manual, I had a realization. I drive auto and saw manual as excessive in today's world but then I realized that i have to drive manual because that is the one that allows more choice and more control over the car. And because of this, I now have to learn and buy a manual car. I was not happy when I realized this because it meant more work.

To break down my reasoning: A person driving manual can drive auto no problem ( they just have to not instinctively go for the clutch or gear shift) but the other way around is not able too. Even though I am lazy, I actively try to take the non-lazy way.

#62 Posted by Vigil (231 posts) -

@egg said:

@vigil said:

@egg said:
@tycobb said:

Cons

• There are none.

bwahahaha

Then again, I don't own a car, and probably the cost factors weigh heavily in favor of manual.

But to say there are no cons... if I could choose between a manual or auto and the cost and upkeep cost of both cars the same.. I would choose auto.

Driving is a lot of hassle as it is, you want your full attention on the road, and all around you. Not on the stick.

It could be argued that having to be aware of gear changes requires the driver to be fully engaged in driving, while an automatic transmission allows for multi-tasking.

Someone previously mentioned that they may be eating or drinking something while driving, which isn't all that bad, but talking on a phone or much worse texting is commonplace, all of the above are much more difficult to do with a manual gear box.

Would you care to elaborate why it would be such a terrible argument?

#63 Posted by Caustic_Fox (112 posts) -

I have always preferred automatic over manual transmissions. If you are a passenger sitting in the back car seat, you will feel every jerky movement whenever the driver engages from the clutch into first. But that's not to say the automatics are immune to this. In many cars I can feel the slight 'tug' when the transmission shifts from first into second gear.

The OP says that there are no cons to a manual? I beg to differ. What is the general maintenance cost to a cars' lifetime that's... 20 years old with 200,000 miles driven. Out of the 20 years, how many times was the clutch replaced vs changing the automatic trans-axle fluid every few years? And for the record, there's no reason what so ever that a transmission (either one) SHOULDN'T last 200,000 miles anyways (unless the transmission is a pile of shit to begin with that decides to crap out bellow the 150,000 mile mark.)

Of course I could be bullshiitting of what I just said.

#64 Edited by AziMuttyo (82 posts) -

Manual for me. I like to feel the stick.

#65 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@vigil said:

@egg said:

@vigil said:

@egg said:
@tycobb said:

Cons

• There are none.

bwahahaha

Something occurred to me btw, you're basically saying it would be better if everyone drove a manual, not that manual is actually more practical for the driver.

The other interpretation to your argument, and the one I was thinking of when I responded, was "I like being restricted, because it FORCES me to drive safely."

#66 Edited by Vigil (231 posts) -

@egg said:

@vigil said:

@egg said:

@vigil said:

@egg said:
@tycobb said:

Cons

• There are none.

bwahahaha

Something occurred to me btw, you're basically saying it would be better if everyone drove a manual, not that manual is actually more practical for the driver.

The other interpretation to your argument, and the one I was thinking of when I responded, was "I like being restricted, because it FORCES me to drive safely."

Nowhere in my post did I suggest that "it would be better if everyone drove a manual".

I don't understand the whole "being restricted" part, you're restricted every time you drive your car, whether or not you drive a manual, in many places it's out right illegal to use your phone while driving, would you say you're being restricted because of the imposed speed limits that FORCE you to drive safely?

I dont feel there is a preferred transmission choice, the car im currently driving utilizes a torque converter, dont try to make it sound like I have some silly pro-manual trans Nazi agenda.

#67 Edited by jaecee (31 posts) -

Manual. I'll never go back. Every time I need to borrow my fiance's car to drive to work I realize how incredibly boring driving an automatic is. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Yup. Hell, I'm bored enough driving a stick most of the time. Automatic is agonizing.

#68 Edited by psylah (2177 posts) -

Just sold my last manual car, a project car.

My Z is an automatic, but it's "manumatic" which is good enough for me.

Reason: I'm an old-ass man.

#69 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4974 posts) -

Automatic. Too much of a puss for manual plus too lazy.

#70 Edited by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I don't know, I work and live in downtown Toronto so I'd be pretty dumb to have a car. I ride a single-speed bike because I hate shifting even on bikes. It's just another stupid part that can stop working. I like the mechanical simplicity of single-speed bikes.

Also I just don't like shifting, I always fiddle and try to find the best speed for the situation (since on a bike you'll have like a bazillion different gears you can use) when I could just be pedaling harder and going faster.

#71 Posted by rotorious (70 posts) -

Study that was released a few months ago found that the best anti-theft feature available in a car today was a manual transmission.

#72 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I live in a city where it would be an absolute nightmare to drive with a manual transmission on a daily basis, and I already hate driving as it is; I choose automatic.

#73 Edited by believer258 (11949 posts) -

Automatic because a) I'm 21 and have to live with what gets passed down to me, automobile-wise and b) A manual was not passed down to me so I never learned to drive one.

Would it be nice to know? Eh, yeah, but I don't feel a pressing need to.

#74 Posted by SomberOwl (677 posts) -

Manual can be a real bitch in gridlock highway traffic. But it's still my preference. Sucked having to go through that almost every day though.

#75 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

@vigil said:

@egg said:

@vigil said:

@egg said:

@vigil said:

@egg said:
@tycobb said:

Cons

• There are none.

bwahahaha

Nowhere in my post did I suggest that "it would be better if everyone drove a manual".

I don't understand the whole "being restricted" part, you're restricted every time you drive your car, whether or not you drive a manual, in many places it's out right illegal to use your phone while driving, would you say you're being restricted because of the imposed speed limits that FORCE you to drive safely?

I dont feel there is a preferred transmission choice, the car im currently driving utilizes a torque converter, dont try to make it sound like I have some silly pro-manual trans Nazi agenda.

What I was trying to say is that someone could just not use the phone while driving auto.

#76 Posted by ChristianConservativeVinny (95 posts) -

@chtasm said:

I feel way more connected to the car and the entire driving experience with a manual.

This is basically why I like driving a stick. I thought of a car as a boring, practical tool that gets me places until I learned to drive a stick. It's just so much more fun.

And where I live I sometimes have to drive up hills and in stop-and-go traffic. It's still not really all that bad, and the parts where you go WHEEEEEEE are totally worth it.

#77 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Automatic. I'm not some crazy person. I just drive to work and back each day and occasionally to the supermarket to get food. I don't need a manual or the hassle of constantly babying it.

#78 Posted by Captain_Insano (1541 posts) -

I only had access to an Automatic when learning how to drive, so that's all I know.

I hired a car in Milan and had organised an automatic, however I got screwed over by the company I had initially made the booking with (not mentioning any names *cough* Hertz *cough*) and ended up going with a small independent car rental company. However, being Europe they almost exclusively had manuals. I thought 'how hard could it be?' (also, being Australian, I'm used to driving on the left side of the road so there was that adjustment too).

Suffice to say, trying to drive a manual for the first time, in a foreign country, on the opposite side of the road, in a heavily populated city was an interesting experience to say the least.

#79 Edited by donfonzie (206 posts) -

Manual. Automatic is fine when on a long drive.

#80 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

I appreciate technology enabling me to be a lazier person, so automatic all the way.

Driving a manual adds nothing to the experience for me except busywork.

#81 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

I don't need driving to be "exciting", I just need it to get me from A to B. Automatic is less of a hassle. The only time I would want a manual is if I needed the fine control that it offers, specifically if I were racing. I've driven dirt bikes for several years so a clutch isn't a foreign concept to me. I don't believe it makes the experience any more enjoyable, it just adds an extra step to getting the vehicle to do what you want it to do.

#82 Posted by Tireyo (6426 posts) -

I can only drive an automatic. =-( Never could get used to a manual.

#83 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -

I have no intention of driving a car "for fun", so I'm sticking with the one that isn't a pain in the ass (automatic).

#84 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@tycobb said:

What the fuck is up with all the weird hatred in this thread? Jesus Christ....

Weird hatred? Maybe you should accept the fact that people have different opinions than yours. Dismissive elitism is not something people are especially fond of. From a design/engineering standpoint, simplicity and convenience is always better.

#85 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

@tycobb said:

What the fuck is up with all the weird hatred in this thread? Jesus Christ....

Weird hatred? Maybe you should accept the fact that people have different opinions than yours. Dismissive elitism is not something people are especially fond of. From a design/engineering standpoint, simplicity and convenience is always better.

I was referring to the fact that this thread started to get cutthroat for no reason. For some reason tempers were flaring and there wasn't a whole lot of need or justification for them. I was not referring to people hating manuals or hating automatics.

#86 Edited by slyspider (1240 posts) -

EVERYONE WILL AGREE OR SOMEONE IS GOING TO DIE.

#87 Edited by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

I don't drive very often, but when I do it's long distances so automatic is way more convenient.

#88 Posted by theveej (833 posts) -

Theoretically I would go manual but I have never had a manual car. Plus traffic is never really an issue here.

So in actuality I would go with tiptronic.

#89 Posted by DefaultProphet (473 posts) -

@egg said:

@vigil said:

@egg said:
@tycobb said:

Cons

• There are none.

bwahahaha

No it wouldn't. When driving manual you don't look down or concentrate on the stick. You're heads up just like you are in an automatic and you have to pay attention to what everyone else is doing to know what gear you should be in. You're actively engaged in the process of driving.