#1 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 7, 2013 – The Walt Disney Co. (Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” sNYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel’s most popular characters exclusively to the world’s leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.

Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”

“Marvel’s movies, such as ‘Iron Man’ and Marvel’s ‘The Avengers’, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “With ‘House of Cards’ and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”

This new original TV deal follows last year’s landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.

Well, since they'll all be serialized, that at least rules out more NCIS bullshit like Agents of SHIELD. I hope Daredevil isn't permanently stuck on 'wacky goofball' mode like everyone in the Avengers-verse, though.

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Neat!

#3 Posted by TheHT (11262 posts) -

Netflix originals have been kinda hit or miss for me. Hopefully these are worthwhile.

#4 Edited by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

Makes sense. The Marvel movies are some of the most popular movies on Netflix, it makes sense to pursue Netflix Originals from them too.

I just wish Netflix would get the Iron Man movies, though. I'm not a huge comic book guy, and I never bothered watching them because the concept of a dude in a flying robot suit seemed relatively uninteresting. I didn't look into it any more than that. But Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man was the best thing about Marvel's The Avengers, so now I want to watch the Iron Man movies. But I'm not going to go as far as actually buying/renting them, when I already have tons of movies to watch on Netflix.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

will they be as good as Arrow?

Probably not, so who cares D:

#6 Posted by joshwent (2207 posts) -

Jessica Jones?! It cool that they're obviously trying to introduce more diverse characters, but there has to be a more interesting Marvel lady to build a show around, right? She-Hulk could be amazing. Like Ally McBeal but with occasional smashing of stuff. Although, it's clear they picked these 4 because or their relatively "realistic" (re: don't have to spend a lot on CG every episode) powers.

Also, @mattyftm, Iron Man is absolutely worth seeking out. Brilliantly paced, hilarious, and earnestly dramatic, it's still right at the top of my favorite super hero movie list. The two sequels are, sadly, a waste of time.

#7 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3320 posts) -

Wow.

Awesome. This kind of serialized, inter-locking TV shows with a mini-series team-up at the end is exactly what I have been wanting Marvel to do for years.

When is DC going to wake up and stop letting Marvel run away with the cash? Just make that god damn Gotham Central show already, jeez. You couldn't ask for an easier sell to TV audiences.

#8 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

six seasons and a movie!

#9 Edited by benpicko (2008 posts) -

Great more Marvel shit

#10 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Jessica Jones?! It cool that they're obviously trying to introduce more diverse characters, but there has to be a more interesting Marvel lady to build a show around, right? She-Hulk could be amazing. Like Ally McBeal but with occasional smashing of stuff. Although, it's clear they picked these 4 because or their relatively "realistic" (re: don't have to spend a lot on CG every episode) powers.

Also, @mattyftm, Iron Man is absolutely worth seeking out. Brilliantly paced, hilarious, and earnestly dramatic, it's still right at the top of my favorite super hero movie list. The two sequels are, sadly, a waste of time.

I think Bendis love for Jessica Jones Is that she's just trying to be a regular person living in a world that's overwhelming. I think that will resonate quite a bit with women.

#11 Posted by joshwent (2207 posts) -

@joshwent said:

I think Bendis love for Jessica Jones Is that she's just trying to be a regular person living in a world that's overwhelming. I think that will resonate quite a bit with women.

I think you just summarized at least 70% of Marvel's characters. ;) And also, the reason that I don't really like those characters. But yeah, obviously that kind of story resonates quite a bit with a lot of people.

Still, I hope these are great. (if anything, so that I can try to ignore the giant pile of trash that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D turned out to be)

#12 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

Wow.

Awesome. This kind of serialized, inter-locking TV shows with a mini-series team-up at the end is exactly what I have been wanting Marvel to do for years.

When is DC going to wake up and stop letting Marvel run away with the cash? Just make that god damn Gotham Central show already, jeez. You couldn't ask for an easier sell to TV audiences.

They already started, they're doing Arrow, and Arrow is going to have 3 episodes with the Flash in it that will lead into it's own show...

(I don't like the guy they have for flash though. He's no Stephen Amell)

edit; hell, they've already mentioned Ra's Al Ghul (is it Ghul or Ghoul) in Arrow

#13 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3320 posts) -

@animasta said:

@geraltitude said:

Wow.

They already started, they're doing Arrow, and Arrow is going to have 3 episodes with the Flash in it that will lead into it's own show...

Sure but the scale of that vs. 4 TV shows (5 with Marvel's SHIELD and 6 with the miniseries) plus the fact that they tie in to the Marvel movies still leaves a lot of work for DC to do.

I really like Stephen Amell (seriously, he's awesome) but I think the production quality of the show is too low (but not bad) for it to fight with ABC. Green Arrow's eye makeup is hilarious BS I hope they fix the next season, especially. And yeah, the Flash guy is bad. More importantly I don't think "fast running" ever looks cool as a super power in TV.

#14 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@geraltitude: to be fair they don't need to fight with ABC, because, as you said, the production quality of the show is lower because it's on the CW (and a bad rating on ABC is a terrific one for CW). It's still much better than Agents of Shield is though.

#15 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

@animasta said:

@geraltitude said:

Wow.

Sure but the scale of that vs. 4 TV shows (5 with Marvel's SHIELD and 6 with the miniseries) plus the fact that they tie in to the Marvel movies still leaves a lot of work for DC to do.

I really like Stephen Amell (seriously, he's awesome) but I think the production quality of the show is too low (but not bad) for it to fight with ABC. Green Arrow's eye makeup is hilarious BS I hope they fix the next season, especially. And yeah, the Flash guy is bad. More importantly I don't think "fast running" ever looks cool as a super power in TV.

Amell is certainly trying his hardest to get Arrow integrated into the Man of Steel universe. Anyway, they're also doing Hourman and Deadman shows that will presumably be tied into Arrow. Warner is doing a Commissioner Gordon show for Fox, but I doubt it'll be connected to Arrow or Man of Steel.

#16 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3320 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

@animasta said:

@geraltitude said:

Wow.

Amell is certainly trying his hardest to get Arrow integrated into the Man of Steel universe. Anyway, they're also doing Hourman and Deadman shows that will presumably be tied into Arrow. Warner is doing a Commissioner Gordon show for Fox, but I doubt it'll be connected to Arrow or Man of Steel.

Sign me up for a Commissioner Gordon show! Hourman would be cool too. Connecting Arrow to Man of Steel seems like asking for trouble. I feel they can barely pull together a Superman movie with hundreds of millions - it would look hilarious on TV. Though that doesn't stop Clark Ken from showing up or even Superman I guess, so long as he doesn't do anything actually super.

What they should really be doing is The Question.

#17 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3320 posts) -

@animasta said:

@geraltitude: to be fair they don't need to fight with ABC, because, as you said, the production quality of the show is lower because it's on the CW (and a bad rating on ABC is a terrific one for CW). It's still much better than Agents of Shield is though.

Yeah fair enough about the ratings. I do like SHIELD though, the characters are all a little samey but I enjoy the Whedon-styled dialogue and the way they reference the Marvel universe. SHIELD is lacking an Amell but I think Coulson is awesome.

#18 Edited by Sterling (2293 posts) -

four of Marvel’s most popular characters

“Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,”

What?

#19 Posted by EXTomar (4731 posts) -

I'm all for Netflix doing production like this!

#20 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@animasta said:

will they be as good as Arrow?

Probably not, so who cares D:

'As good as Arrow'? Boy I hope not!

Arrow suuuuuccccks. I've kept up with it because, well I don't know why, some sort of guilty pleasure? With faint glimmers of hope that it could be good? But man, the first season, woof. Some wannabe, Days of our Lives romance series crap with a love triangle that wouldn't quit, the dialogue and acting were teeeerrrrriiiibbllleeeeee. Laugh out loud funny.

But saying all of that, the second season has got better. They've cut all the lovey dovey 'I'm sorry, no I'm sorry' bullshit that was weighing it down and got to some actual storytelling, intrigue and most importantly actual interesting dialogue, characters and semi decent acting. The last two ep's where they've been introducing Black Canary have been soo much better and give me hope for the series.

#21 Edited by TheHT (11262 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

@animasta said:

Yeah fair enough about the ratings. I do like SHIELD though, the characters are all a little samey but I enjoy the Whedon-styled dialogue and the way they reference the Marvel universe. SHIELD is lacking an Amell but I think Coulson is awesome.

I'm with you. SHIELD is better than I thought it would be, and it's nice to see random characters like Scorch and Graviton pop up here and there. Being a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't hurt, both contributing to and being helped by the continuous world established in the movies.

Something I really enjoyed when I read more superhero comics were the issues that weren't part of some epic year-long arc. Instead you had a silly gimicky villain pop up who's promptly whooped by the hero.

The stakes are higher in movies, and you won't really get that sort of things there. But a TV show is the perfect avenue for those smaller stories, while still allowing for a bigger plot to be spread over a season.

#22 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

I remember reading about a Disney/Netflix partnership a while back, which seemed like a pretty big deal. I supposed this is an outcome of that. Great! It's cool to see an enterprise as influential as Disney embracing the future, aiming to usher in the age of digital distribution and all that.

Also that's an Iron Fist TV series, sign me up.

#23 Edited by Coafi (1488 posts) -

@razielcuts: Dude, it's the CW. That's what the audience on CW likes soapy drama and romantic crap. At least, they show some decent action, plus Green Arrow is killing dudes left and right, I'm kinda surprised they did that.

On topic, I'm looking forward to Iron Fist and Luke Cage, the others not so much.

#24 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@razielcuts: arrow does not suck and I disagree with just about everything you said, so there!

I don't even know what you're comparing it to though. Sucks compared to what?

#25 Edited by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@coafi: I only vaguely know what the CW is as I'm in the UK but I just did a quick google search and I guess compared to everything else on there Arrow is the best thing going for the channel. Although I hear Supernatural is quite good (although maybe a bit tough to get into now as its like a billion series in). And The Originals looks like it could be 'okay' I suppose, if a little cheesy from the promo trailer. A kind a True Blood lite.

@animasta: Was Smallville on CW? I think I was a lot more tolerant of the relationships in that as they felt more ‘real’ (if thats even a thing) because you got to see them grow over time. Lana and Clark, Chloe and Jimmy, Chloe and Oliver, Clark and Lois. They built those relationships over time and they went through some big events together. Which I guess is an unfair comparison as Smallville had 10 years to do all that and Arrow so far has only had a year but yeah. The relationships in Arrow just felt like, okay we need some drama here, let’s go. We’re not going to show you why these people like/ hate each other we’re just going to tell you they do. Why did Tommy and Laurel even get together? I don’t know, quick look over there, an action scene. Because it was a quick fix to add some drama and tension between the characters.

I liked the flashback island stuff and the action is good for the level of production that type of TV show can offer but man all the Ollie, Laurel, Tommy love triangle stuff was kind of terrible in the first season. Especially the Ollie, Laurel stuff. After the 10th time of ‘You cheated on me and killed my sister.’ ‘I know, I’m sorry.’ ‘I’m sorry too.’ I was just like, come on already! Do we have to go over this every episode? It felt like it was a recap for people who weren’t watching every week/ paying attention. And in those moments where the characters have to show actual emotions, like sorrow, regret or anger, thats where the acting can fall really flat and be kind of laughable.

Smallville was campy and it knew it, it had fun with it. At times similar to the way Buffy did it. But I feel Arrow is caught in a middle ground of wanting to be gritty, Dark Knight Batman-y and then be silly at the same time. As I said though the last two episodes have been good and as they’re introducing more characters its becoming more of a show and less just a romance novella with action parts.

---

Anyway, sorry to get off topic (ish). I'd like to see what the Luke Cage show ends up being. Especially after the illusions to him in the first episode of Agents of Shield. Possible crossovers would be cool. And a Law and Order esque, case of the week, Daredevil show could be quite interesting too. Marvel are going all out it seems into TV land.

#26 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@razielcuts: I have never heard of someone speak of smallville positively on the internet until today, funnily enough, so I don't think your view is very popular.

Besides, the soapy stuff in Arrow basically went away when Tommy learned about Ollie. The love triangle stuff afterward was completely different

#27 Posted by Cloudleet (155 posts) -

Daredevil? Oh. My. God. Yes!!!! Finally! Let me forget the travesty that was Ben Affleck as Daredevil! My favorite hero getting a second chance (third if you count Simon Rex's Daredevil in "Trial of the Incredible Hulk")! God I hope this goes well. And Iron Fist? Awesome! Today was a good day after all!

#28 Edited by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Batfleck! You have failed the city, Shield!

#29 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@animasta: Well I mean I know Smallville was dumb and formulaic. 45 mins of a one off event and then 15 mins to wrap it up. But it was endearingly dumb. It had 'heart' at least.

And Tommy only found out about Ollie in the like 2nd to 3rd last episode of the season and was all bitter and moody about it for no good reason. 'We were best friends, how could you lie to me?' Grow up you big baby, you're in your mid 20's, not on the playground. I've been on an island for 5 years dealing with shit, how about you ask me about that?

#30 Edited by The_Ruiner (1056 posts) -
@joshwent said:

Jessica Jones?! It cool that they're obviously trying to introduce more diverse characters, but there has to be a more interesting Marvel lady to build a show around, right?

She's a pretty great character with a story that's tailor made for TV rather than trying to wedge something huge and grand into a less than TV budget. Plus Daredevil will likely be the lawyer show. She's the private detective/investigative reporter show.

#31 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@razielcuts: it was 8 episodes, and he was moody because his best friend was a serial murderer. He was kind of miffed about that, and he had the same exact reaction when he learned his dad was also planning to murder people.

He also did ask about the island stuff, but Oliver never said anything specific (or anything real) until last night's episode, as a matter of fact.

#32 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@animasta: Last nights episode? I'm a day behind so thanks for all the 'Ollie pours his heart out' spoilers! (joking).

Let's just agree that however arguably bad the show is (and as I said, it's getting better) everyone in Arrow is hot and move on.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@animasta:

Last nights episode? I'm a day behind so thanks for all the 'Ollie pours his heart out' spoilers! (joking).

Let's just agree that however arguably bad the show is (and as I said, it's getting better) everyone in Arrow is hot and move on.

my favorite part of the advertising for season 2 was the four pictures of the main male cast (roy, ollie, diggle and slade) shirtless.

It was pretty great.

#34 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@animasta: Ha! Roy. I bet he looked like a little baby compared to the other 3. Don't worry, you don't have to show me a picture. I'll just be thinking of Felicity and Laurel over here...

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8238 posts) -

YES GIVE ME MORE MARVEL wait I need to get Netflix again I guess?

#37 Posted by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

I'm really disappointed that this is what they ended up doing with the Daredevil license. I will also definitely watch it.

#38 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@hunter5024:

If it was a movie, then there would be no doubt in my mind that it would be an action comedy. Daredevil's better suited for TV where people are craving darker storytelling.(Not to say the show won't end up leaning heavily on the comedy.)

#39 Posted by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

@dallas_raines: I guess it would be a bit of a comedy if they tried to match the tone of the other movies, although I'm not convinced that they'll do it differently on tv. The smaller scale of television also means they're not going to throw as much talent and money at this project as it could probably use. Honestly I just wish the rights had stayed with Fox, they had a bad streak there for a bit, but they're definitely improving, and with how well the Marvel movies are doing, and how few super heroes Fox has to work with, I feel like that would've given them the motivation they needed to pull it off this time. This just seems like Marvel has more properties than they know what to do with, so they're throwing stuff at a wall, and seeing what sticks to try and capitalize on even more of that super hero money.

Still, you could totally be right, maybe this will end up being better for it. I'm certainly interested in seeing how it turns out.

#40 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@hunter5024: It was a shame when Fox lost it, because Joe Carnahan's concept for an R rated, 70's neo-noir Daredevil was so cool and fresh.

#41 Edited by Chaser324 (6544 posts) -

I've always thought that the Jessica Jones series Alias has had a lot of potential as a TV series, and maybe this will finally deliver on some of that.

#42 Posted by crithon (3239 posts) -

is this really about building an army to fight Thanos? Because in the comic he snaps his fingers and half the universe dies.

#43 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@crithon said:

is this really about building an army to fight Thanos? Because in the comic he snaps his fingers and half the universe dies.

Thanos isn't even going to really factor in until Avengers 3.

#44 Edited by huser (1081 posts) -

@crithon said:

Well, I think THAT version of Thanos...only beaten because he secretly has low self-esteem...or by Squirrel Girl, is probably not going to fly in a mass market movie. Obscenely powerful? Sure, especially in light of whatever shenanigans brings him into the light by Avengers III but not casually curbstomp the Silver Surfer levels. If Marvel wasn't squarely in the drivers seat, I'd have him defeat the Squadron Supreme just to tweak whatever JLA movie WB finally puts out.

#45 Edited by crithon (3239 posts) -

@huser: HAHAHAHAHA, WB HAHAHAHAHA, OH god, please, I'm having difficult breathing. They had about 3 good chances to make a Wonder Woman film. One was with Sandra Bullock, the other was Josh Weadon, and another one where they just lifted the entire plot of Spiderman and gave it all to a teenage girl. Green Lantern was really Ryan Reynolds really wanted to do a Flash film but then thought "Well if I play ball maybe we will get a flash film." Seriously WB has a problem, half interested producers "Well we got the license to this might as well do something with it." And then they hire a few comic book guys to duct tape in quotes from the comics. I kinda want the superman batman film to kinda succeed in hopes that Ben Affleck directs JLA, but then they made Superman into DBZ.

WB is basically Roger Corman right now without any boobies.

@dallas_raines: sigh, that's a big let down.

The truth is, Fox really messed up Marvels plan, it'd be awesome if they could include cameos of the Xmen and never say mutants.

#46 Posted by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

Fuck yes Heroes for Hire! I'm a huge Iron Fist fan, and would love to see what they can do with these two characters. That said, I would rather they had went with Captain Marvel for their female hero and give Matt Fraction's Hawkguy his own mini series, for me that's pretty much Marvel's best book out.

#47 Edited by NoMoreMutants (58 posts) -

Really excited about this news! I think they're all good picks for TV shows, moderate powers that won't cost a huge amount to do on screen, plus all the characters have jobs that lend themselves to a case of the week/procedural structure with an overarching plot. Also, I'd be shocked if a Captain Marvel movie wasn't announced after Avengers 2 (Black Panther too for that matter!).