Marvel is once again on a roll with Doctor Strange

• 52 results
Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

We only get a brief look at Rachel McAdams character and Baron Mordo. But we finally see Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One. The visuals look very crazy and impressive. I wonder how this will tie with Avengers Infinity War

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Every time i see Doctor Strange i think of Hugo Strange from Batman. This looks cool, i don't know anything about the character at all so it'll be interesting to see a movie about a marvel character i have 0 knowledge about.

BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BooDoug187

Every time i see Doctor Strange i think of Hugo Strange from Batman. This looks cool, i don't know anything about the character at all so it'll be interesting to see a movie about a marvel character i have 0 knowledge about.

To tell you the truth, I was like that for a bulk of the Marvel movies. I was more of a DC fan myself (and that was mainly Batman more than anyone else) and I knew of like a couple of Marvel heroes (Xmen, Wolverine, The Punisher).

I am excited for this movie even though really the only thing I know about Doctor Strange is he is a magic user.

I have to say, it is funny that Marvel is killing it in the box office but DC does some of the best animated stuff for their universe (really looking forward to Killing Joke)

LostOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still wish Joaquin Phoenix hadnt backed out of the movie, all my friends who are into comics were super pumped at the idea of him being Strange.

But Dr. Strange is still one of the big Marvel characters i know least about so i'm looking forward to seeing what his deal is.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've fallen off the Marvel movie bandwagon but I'm open to weirder stuff with characters like Strange. Hope it delivers.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OurSin_360

@boodoug187 said:
@oursin_360 said:

To tell you the truth, I was like that for a bulk of the Marvel movies. I was more of a DC fan myself (and that was mainly Batman more than anyone else) and I knew of like a couple of Marvel heroes (Xmen, Wolverine, The Punisher).

I am excited for this movie even though really the only thing I know about Doctor Strange is he is a magic user.

I have to say, it is funny that Marvel is killing it in the box office but DC does some of the best animated stuff for their universe (really looking forward to Killing Joke)

Besides batman i'm really not that big of a DC guy, shows like Arrow and Flash have gotten me into those characters a lot more(especially Flash). I always thought outside of batman Dc characters were just kinda generic for the most part, especially superman lol. I'm a huge batman fan and then it's mostly marvel (mostly xmen and spiderman). Shows have gotten me into more characters for both universes, i knew a little about daredevil but not that much and the netflix show is pretty great. I thought Captain America was the lamest character of all time (even more than superman and aquaman) but the movies really changed my tune on him. I enjoy superman stuff even though he's still kinda lame but Dc has yet to make Aquaman nothing but terrible. (maybe the new movies will do something? haven't seen the batmanvsuperman yet)

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I'm very excited for this. Doctor Strange, much like Ant-Man, is one of those characters that can bring a much different setting and perspective than other characters. Super hype. Film also has a spot on casting as I was really hoping Cumberbatch would be Strange. 100% perfect casting. I'm also happy that Baron Mordo isn't going to be a villain from the start as it looks like he's allied with Strange for most of this film.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrainScratch

Marvel is once again on a roll...

...by revealing another movie that looks almost the same as all previous Marvel movies.

The aesthetic of some of the CGI shots look cool but that's it, the rest looks just like another Marvel movie with a origins story structure. Same cinematography and everything. Which is bad because Marvel is slowly approaching the cinematography of a SyFy Channel Movie (specially on Ant-Man).

Also, just like any of the trailers from every studio owned by Disney, the TEASER trailer has the information and length of a regular trailer, so most likely the actual trailer will be a straight up summary of the whole movie.

I do think that Cumberbatch was a really good pick for Dr. Strange though.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@johnymyko: Tell us how you really feel? And can you blame Marvel for continuing to use a winning formula and one that I think works very well for the superhero genre.

In terms of the Dr. Strange stuff though I think this looks very impressive. I think the trailer was very smart to keep showing his hands as that plays a key role in his origin story. Wish there was more actual Marvel stuff this year besides Civil War and this but I'll take what I can get.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As someone that doesn't know anything about Doctor Strange that looked extremely generic. Also origin stories are beginning to be painful. Even as someone with no knowledge about the character I'd much rather this film just drop me in the middle of things and fill in his history as we go along rather than go through this grueling process of finding out who he was etc. This has barely been announced and I can't wait for the next movie where it's just Doctor Strange doing stuff instead of learning how to do stuff.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'll be honest, this trailer didn't really do much for me at all, but I'm still dying to see this movie. I'm just so fucking happy Marvel is finally diving into the deep end of the magic/fantastical pool.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

I want to see some psychedelic spell effects beyond weird camera tricks.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@babychoochoo: Well we need at least 12 marvel movies a year, they had to branch out eventually.

Cumberbatch as lead = guaranteed good movie.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Looks awesome.

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know the first thing about Dr. Strange, and I think the title "Sorcerer Supreme" sounds like a Harry Potter/Taco Bell tie-in product, but I'm looking forward to seeing this.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By guanophobic

Fucking enough with the Marvel movies already.

Sure, some of the scenes in the trailer look really impressive.. But I would be way more hyped if this was an original IP without comic book heroes.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is the one I'm most excited for, and most nervous about.

Can't fuckin wait.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Keirgo

Yeah, Benedict Cumberbatch! I'm already sold on it.

...also looks pretty sweet, visually.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@humanity said:

As someone that doesn't know anything about Doctor Strange that looked extremely generic. Also origin stories are beginning to be painful. Even as someone with no knowledge about the character I'd much rather this film just drop me in the middle of things and fill in his history as we go along rather than go through this grueling process of finding out who he was etc. This has barely been announced and I can't wait for the next movie where it's just Doctor Strange doing stuff instead of learning how to do stuff.

While i'm right there with you in regards to origin stories (one of the reasons I'm happy we got older Batman in Batman v Superman and that half the new characters in Civil War such as Spiderman, Black Panther etc all showcasing them after they had their origins) Doctor Strange has one of the more interesting origin stories of most Marvel characters in my opinion. Benedict and his very compelling origin story alone make me excited for this. Plus I thought the trailer was great, very inception and I like how they are using the mystical effects to do more than just blow things up.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope the heroes fight a thing in the sky at the end of this one.

GearSol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, I do love me some alien geometries.

@humanity: @johnymyko: They're already pretty much heading away from that. There were only two (Guardians, Ant-Man) out of the six films of phase two that were origins, and Spidey isn't gonna have his origin story explained all over again, either. Black Panther, although he's just now appearing in the films, also seems to already be somewhat into his career as a hero. Inhumans are also getting a lot of build-up on Agents, away from the films, so hopefully their film isn't too bad about that kind of stuff. I do hope Captain Marvel just throws us into the thick of things, though.

I, for one, do love world-building, though, so it's not much of a problem for me personally.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gearsol: I would say that Guardians is such a good movie because it completely sidesteps the origin story. They show you that he was kidnapped as a kid and then we fastforward to him being who he is. There is no lengthy 30 minute intro showcasing how Starlord learned to fly ships well or how he got his jump jet boots or a lengthy kung-fu training montage. He shows up READY and the movie just GOES. That was really refreshing.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
@fredchuckdave said:

@babychoochoo: Cumberbatch as lead = guaranteed good movie.

The Fifth Estate would like to have a word with you.

As would Star Trek Into Darkness YEAH I WENT THERE.

Also I'd be interested to see how Marvel tackles adapting Shuma Gorath to live action without making it super hokey or looking like Parallax from Green Lantern.

airtighthag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 100% a stan for all Marvel movies, and I will see this, but this trailer does nothing for me. My only connection to Strange is playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance a long fucking time ago, so I don't totally get what's happening here, and I don't like Cumberbatch, and from what I hear Marvel is whitewashing a lot of Asian characters, which adds up to probably the first Marvel movie I don't care much about.

....But all that said I'm still seeing it so whatever haha.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: It's totally an origin story, just not of Star Lord.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Real psyched and also kinda boggled at the presence of Tilda Swinton. The Strange fanboy in me is super pumped and the Asian-American in me is kinda bummed to see more whitewashing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: It's totally an origin story, just not of Star Lord.

Sure, there has to be an origin of something, the movie can't just start in mid sentence. What I appreciated was the way they dispensed with formalities of what is traditionally understood by the term "origin story" and got on with the main event. This was probably due to the fact that they wouldn't be able to flesh out the backstories of several characters in the span of 120 minutes, which paid off big time by letting the plot have room to breath and develop organically from beginning to end. A lot of these origin movies suffer from playing catch-up for 90 minutes and then cramming the "here and now" main event into the last 20 minutes, with another 10 minutes to spare for a super messy wrap up that now by mandate has to somehow tie into the other films. Guardians is in my opinion the best Marvel movie to date and one that I saw twice and wouldn't mind seeing again, which is not something I could say about 99% of that roster.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: the only interesting thing about Strange is his origin.

I'm 100% a stan for all Marvel movies, and I will see this, but this trailer does nothing for me. My only connection to Strange is playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance a long fucking time ago, so I don't totally get what's happening here, and I don't like Cumberbatch, and from what I hear Marvel is whitewashing a lot of Asian characters, which adds up to probably the first Marvel movie I don't care much about.

....But all that said I'm still seeing it so whatever haha.

Only one character is changed, the Ancient One and it's technically not the same character.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: In that case, isn't it kind of a waste to make the movie in the first place? If this is in fact such a boring character where do they go from here or is this supposed to be a one and done type of deal? I don't really care about spoilers too much so if you wouldn't mind telling me what is so interesting about his origin that would be awesome (in a spoiler block or a PM).

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this is good. I really like Doctor Strange and I think his origin is super cool. Tilda Swinton is definitely a plus, she always elevates anything she's in.

Some cool visuals in the trailer.

Would the origin story be too early to make Dormammu the big bad, I wonder?

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@jonny_anonymous: In that case, isn't it kind of a waste to make the movie in the first place? If this is in fact such a boring character where do they go from here or is this supposed to be a one and done type of deal? I don't really care about spoilers too much so if you wouldn't mind telling me what is so interesting about his origin that would be awesome (in a spoiler block or a PM).

I mean, no? Strange is kind of super important as basically the main character who can connect the Marvel universe to the mystical realm. Sure there are others, but in connection with Avengers/Defenders etc, he is pretty much a character link to the non science non space stuff that goes on in the Marvel universe. Establishing him and thus that setting is one of the last things the MCU needs to do to round itself out honestly.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@humanity: After watching his sister die at a young age Stephen Strange decided he was going to be a doctor. He spent the rest of his life training in medicine and eventually became one of the most gifted neurosurgeons in the world. All this success brought him money and fame which he reveled in, becoming an egotistical douchebag. He got so bad that he was even estranged (see what I did there?) from the rest of his family, he didn't even go to his father's funeral. Then he was in a horrific car crash that destroyed the nerves in his hands and ended his career. Stephen spiraled down a pit of depression grasping at anything he thought could help heal his hands until he heard talk of someone in asia known as the Ancient One who could heal anything. So he traveled there but the Ancient One refused to heal his hands and instead showed him the true nature of reality.

If you take that all away you're pretty much just left with a guy who knows magic.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By saucygiraffe

@devise22: are they still going with the "Thor is an alien" thing? cause that's stupid

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@ichthy said:
@jakob187 said:
@fredchuckdave said:

@babychoochoo: Cumberbatch as lead = guaranteed good movie.

The Fifth Estate would like to have a word with you.

As would Star Trek Into Darkness YEAH I WENT THERE.

Also I'd be interested to see how Marvel tackles adapting Shuma Gorath to live action without making it super hokey or looking like Parallax from Green Lantern.

Into Darkness is a "to each their own" kind of thing for me. I don't give a shit about Star Trek personally, but I know people who are lifelong Trekkies that liked that movie. I'm not gonna knock someone if they dig it.

As for Shuma-Gorath, you make him look exactly like Shuma-Gorath. Once you add the realism to it, Shuma looks like the cosmic horror entity that we know and love.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By jadegl

I have no real affection for Doctor Strange, but this trailer was pretty cool. I like that they're going into psychedelic, mystical stuff. And Cumberbatch is a pretty great actor, so I think this movie will be pretty good. I'll say this, I am way more interested in this than I am in Suicide Squad, and I'm a DC fangirl. Marvel just seems to be able to adapt their characters to the big screen much better than DC. DC does outstanding with their TV shows, but the movies are bumming me out a bit.

I guess what I mean is that DC lets their TV adaptations be more comic booky, with stuff like time travel, a multiverse, aliens galore and the dead coming back to life - which I like a lot. It's fun. The movies seem to be trying to go a different direction with their films - more realistic? More like they could happen in our world? I don't know. Marvel has shit like Norse gods and magic and space adventures with cool aliens and a period piece TV show that has goofy spy action and musical numbers and other TV shows that deal with murderous vigilantes and PTSD after abuse and it's all great. It bums me out. I want to see DC be more confident with their properties on the big screen. Batman worked, that doesn't mean you have to make all your movies feel like that or look like that. I hope I am wrong and that Suicide Squad is really cool. And Wonder Woman could be dope as heck if they do it right. But I am so worried.

But, coming back around to Doctor Strange - this trailer was dope and I want to see more, which is a big accomplishment since I know almost nothing about the character and have no real affection for him from what I have read. :D

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl:I think a lot of DC's issue is they are still 3-4 years behind Marvel on the cinematic side of things. They're almost there with Man of Steel and BvS but it still isn't quite to the level Avengers 1 and Winter Soilder have been. I agree they are both crushing it on the TV side of things though I wish DC would take notice of what Marvel is doing on Netflix. It's hard going back to Arrow sometimes after watching Daredevil as I wish Arrow would go Darhk like that.

Bad jokes aside it'll be interesting to see how mystical this movie gets. I'm sure we'll see more out of SDCC since that's the only thing Marvel has this year.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That thing looks way weirder than I expected and I'm all for it. I know little about Doctor Strange apart from Wiki reading, but this looks like an awesome change from the usual superhero routine.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks completely boring tbh and can you really say someone is "on a roll" for releasing a trailer?

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I learn of a new superhero movie I want to dig in to the comics before I realize how expensive and time consuming the hobby can be. This looks rad though.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saucygiraffe: They kind of half are and half aren't. They treat them more as "Asgardians" now in the greater MCU. AoS has had a couple of episodes with Sif in it for example. But they still theme it connected with what happened in original Avengers, and how it's all associated with aliens or "like gods." In the case of Dr. Strange it'll be a bit more intriguing I think just because it'll be a regular ass human wandering into the world of mysticism that does in fact exist on earth in this universe. Meaning if the public or governments at all learn any details about it, there will be no hiding behind "humanity united" or things like that.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a roll in the sense that they keep making the same mostly mediocre films yet still artificially generating hype by drip feeding trailers?

Sorry. I really hated Thor 2. I liked Guardians of the Galaxy but I can't stomach an origin story.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By crithon

the visuals are more inception then Steve Ditko psychedelic trippy mind scapes. Still, I'm kinda shocked they have finished visuals, the film just finished shooting last week. Now time to add some more colors.... and maybe the mindless ones.

No Caption Provided

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's as much an origin story as most superhero movies. The individual guardians are all fully developed characters but the story of the team coming together isn't any less an origin than Iron Man building his suit. You have a point, though in that the problem with most origin stories is that the villainy of the antagonist is usually not a throughline of the plot. Instead the story focuses on the mundane personal life and development of the main character as a hero totally divorced from whatever forces he's going to have to confront in the end. I would argue that the conclusion there isn't that origin stories are themselves flawed, but that in a movie format, origin movies need to do a better job of developing the character and the primary conflict at the same time, even though in the case of man superheroes it may require some retconning to do so.

@humanity said:

Sure, there has to be an origin of something, the movie can't just start in mid sentence. What I appreciated was the way they dispensed with formalities of what is traditionally understood by the term "origin story" and got on with the main event. This was probably due to the fact that they wouldn't be able to flesh out the backstories of several characters in the span of 120 minutes, which paid off big time by letting the plot have room to breath and develop organically from beginning to end. A lot of these origin movies suffer from playing catch-up for 90 minutes and then cramming the "here and now" main event into the last 20 minutes, with another 10 minutes to spare for a super messy wrap up that now by mandate has to somehow tie into the other films. Guardians is in my opinion the best Marvel movie to date and one that I saw twice and wouldn't mind seeing again, which is not something I could say about 99% of that roster.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see the movie costume in Marvel Heroes 2016.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I know next to nothing about Doctor Strange and always get him confused with Hugo Strange. That said, the visual effects in the trailer had me pretty intrigued. I might see this movie at some point, despite not being a Cumberbatch fan.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind at all if this is a relatively serious movie. Dr Strange has never struck me as a quip-y character, and I hope they don't change that with this movie.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a roll, with trailers yeah.