#1 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3705 posts) -

For any Doctor Who fans out there Matt Smith who has played Doctor Who since 2010 has announced he is leaving the role at the end of this year, with the 2013 Christmas special literally being Mr. Smith's swan song to the series. Sad to see him go considering the chemistry he's built with Jenna-Louise Coleman over this past season but at the same time rumors were swirling everywhere and it was bound to happen eventually. Looking at it now its kind of crazy but I believe Matt Smith and David Tennant have played the role for the same amount of time, even though it still feels like Tennant was around longer. I guess the new question in the who universe will be which actor will take on the role next? I'm really shooting for one of Steven Moffat's original choices back in 2010 to play the role, David Morrisey. A great actor who could really play the dark and good sides of a person errr... Time Lord.

#2 Posted by ModernAlkemie (368 posts) -

Obviously only one actor will be able to take over the role of Doctor Who:

Jason Statham

#3 Posted by leinad44 (530 posts) -

Helen Mirren said she wanted to be the doctor. I say let her for a season or so before she gets even older.

#4 Edited by StarFoxA (5162 posts) -

Sad to see Matt Smith go, but I trust Moffat to come up with an excellent 12th Doctor.

#5 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -
#6 Posted by Drebin_893 (2926 posts) -

Am I alone in thinking the last two series of Dr Who have been teeeeerrrible? Matt Smith knocked it out of the park in the first series, but the last ones have been damn near unwatchable for me.

#7 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@drebin_893: Got bored with Dr. Who at the end of Season 7 Part 1 even though I was stoked with the developments at the end. Just getting derivative at this point. Used to be so excited over it but lately it's just getting boring.

#8 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4868 posts) -

@drebin_893 said:

Am I alone in thinking the last two series of Dr Who have been teeeeerrrible? Matt Smith knocked it out of the park in the first series, but the last ones have been damn near unwatchable for me.

I don't think series six was terrible, but the second half of seven was just chopped and screwed to hell. They had a lot of story to fit into 42 minute episodes and you can tell a lot of shit got left on the cutting room floor. The worst of it was Neil Gaiman's episode "A Nightmare in Silver." I like Cybermen episodes, and I like Neil Gaiman. How that wasn't a home fucking run I have no idea (oh wait I do, it was the editing).

Splitting the seasons, making terribly long waits between the halves has killed a lot of the momentum the show built up. By the end of the Series 7 finale it just felt rushed and patched together. It's terrible because the concept of series seven's second half is a great idea - and if it had been allowed the time and room to flourish I think it would've been the best series finale of the entire NuWho run. It wasn't. It was rushed and barely saved by the appearance of John Hurt and the promise of a Doctor who don't give a fuck.

I'm torn on this news, personally. I really liked Matt Smith. He was leagues better than Tennant and almost up there with Eccleston. However I think what I liked the most about Smith's run is his relationship with Amy and Rorie. Smith's run as the Doctor goes hand in hand with those characters and without them the show just kinda petered out. Hopefully series eight can function as a soft reboot of sorts, much like series five was.

#9 Edited by BaneFireLord (2967 posts) -

@drebin_893: While I'm not done with Series 7 yet, I fully agree with you. With the exception of "The Doctor's Wife," "The God Complex" and potentially "Night Terrors" (although it was pretty much an exact rehash of "Fear Her"), all of Series 6 grated on me and (thus far for me) the only worthwhile episode of 7 has been "The Power of Three," primarily because of the Doctor's "running toward things" dialogue with Amy ("A Town Called Mercy" had some interesting character analysis opportunities, but the majority of the episode was fucking dreck) The decline in quality is making me very sad, since, apart from these last two seasons, Doctor Who is easily my favorite show.

More on topic, I'm not exactly sad to see Matt Smith go. He never quite managed to ingratiate himself with me; I always felt he was overacting a little too much, even for a show that thrives on overacting.

#10 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

I really liked Matt Smith, however his earlier seasons were much better, particularly his first. Honestly I'd like to see them go back to someone a little edgier (like Eccleston). Although on another note, I can't stand the way that huge plot things (like the fucking Doctor's death) are so rushed. IMO that's something you build up to over several seasons, not the back half of one season (and really only one episode). Honestly I think Moffat should have just rebooted the entire series from the start, with a good outline of where the story should go, instead of attempting to retcon 40 years of television.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3082 posts) -

I can't wait to see Vin Diesel's interpretation of the role.

#12 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1859 posts) -

Dude. DUDE.

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Holy shit.

#14 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

Aside from watching a few of Matt smith's first episodes, I pretty much stopped watching after David Tennant left. It's been long enough for my interest to come back, so I think it's time to finally catch up.

#15 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

Who?

#16 Posted by zoozilla (982 posts) -

In some interview Stephen Merchant said he wanted to play the Doctor.

I would have no problem with that.

#17 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@zoozilla said:

In some interview Stephen Merchant said he wanted to play the Doctor.

I would have no problem with that.

That'd be rad, too.

#18 Edited by CommanderGermanShepard (303 posts) -

Don't be surprised when Helen Miren is cast as the next Doctor or Dev Patel.

#19 Posted by GaspoweR (3366 posts) -

Obviously only one actor will be able to take over the role of Doctor Who:

Jason Statham

The Expendable, Transporting, Doctor Parker Who

#20 Posted by takayamasama (443 posts) -

I regenerate now, regeneration is cool.

#21 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

I hope Steven Moffat takes a leaf out of Russell T. Davies book and steps down as lead writer when Matt Smith leaves as Davies did at the end of David Tennant's tenure as The Doctor. I really disliked recent plot arcs, with the exception of the last half-series with Clara. He seemed to want to make everything as complicated and convoluted as possible. The recent half-series was much better. Nice and straight-forward single episodes, not some fucking crazy convoluted plot. But I don't trust him to continue that trend. I'm pretty sure he'll go back to his bullshit convoluted story arcs. I think it's time for someone else to take over. I really enjoyed Matt Smith's portrayal of The Doctor, but it was overshadowed by Moffat's plot arcs that made me dislike the show. I don't want that to happen with the next Doctor.