#1 Edited by gaminghooligan (1406 posts) -

So I've been having an issue for the past year or so where a black line flashes across my monitor and then disappears so fast I can't attempt a screen shot. Sometimes it will happen twice in a row. I have changed from my monitor over to my tv using a different hdmi cable and the issue seemed to have gone away. Then last week while the pc was connected to my tv the screen started freaking out. The picture seemed to tear itself apart, but I could still see my mouse moving through the chaos.

I restarted the computer and the craziness stopped. I have not been able to duplicate this issue since, but when the computer is connected to my monitor (also a tv just a 23") the black line flashes will still happen off and on. I have checked my temps on both my processor and gpu as soon as it happens and the temps are usually 32c or lower. I have also checked the connections inside the tower on just about everything and have made sure the fans are clean.

Sorry for the long post. I'm hoping someone here can tell me something a mass of google searches haven't, or at least point me in the right direction.

___________Specs______________________

gpu: HD radeon 7850 2gb ddr5

processor: i5 dual core

ram: 6gb ddr3

psu: 525w

motherboard: 0rv30w p55

(yes I know it's an alienware, I know I should have built my own, it was a gift from my parents years ago and I have been upgrading slowly it's my first gaming rig)

#2 Posted by billymagnum (715 posts) -

you check all your graphics card drivers? it seems more than likely its to blame. a couple of trouble shooting things id try: reinstall the current driver(s) if there is not a newer version. also, sometimes it helps to roll back to the last installed driver if reinstalling the current one doesn't work. you may have multiple drivers installed on top of each other or have orphaned files that are causing conflicts. if nothing helped, you might want to look into a program that can find duplicate files and completely remove them. i know nvidia has such options but idk about your card...

good luck

#3 Edited by gaminghooligan (1406 posts) -

@billymagnum: thx for the help. I actually did a clean install of win7 today hoping that any old drivers causing the problem might be erased along with everything else. After the reinstall was completed I went and got the newest drivers from the amd website. Sadly I saw the black line flash again about an hour before my post. Will look into the multiple drivers issue though just in case.

#4 Edited by eskimo (473 posts) -

Change your desktop theme and/or background, maybe to a blank screen or something without an image.

I seem to remember a similar issue on a work laptop a few years back, and I think it was something to do with the mismatch in the resolution of the background vs the external monitor.

#5 Posted by Sanity (1891 posts) -

Is there something you have running that could be causing this? I know i'v had some artifacting issues specifically with Firefox as theirs some issues with it and ati cards, disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox fixed this for me, but obviously that was only when Firefox was open.

#6 Edited by gaminghooligan (1406 posts) -

@eskimo said:

Change your desktop theme and/or background, maybe to a blank screen or something without an image.

I seem to remember a similar issue on a work laptop a few years back, and I think it was something to do with the mismatch in the resolution of the background vs the external monitor.

okay I'll try that and see if it helps

@sanity said:

Is there something you have running that could be causing this? I know i'v had some artifacting issues specifically with Firefox as theirs some issues with it and ati cards, disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox fixed this for me, but obviously that was only when Firefox was open.

it's certainly possible

running programs at the moment of note are:

-steam

-avast antivirus

-realtek hd audio manager

-catalyst control center

also I should make note that my browser of choice atm is google chrome

#7 Posted by Sanity (1891 posts) -

@gaminghooligan: Yea, nothing there really stands out, have you overclocked your GPU at all? Also, your running the resolution and refresh rate on what your monitor natively supports right? Another thing, if you have your TV and monitor both plugged in at the same time disconnect one. Beyond that i have no ideas.

#8 Edited by billymagnum (715 posts) -

have you looked into that card's compatibility with win7? some cards graphics/audio do not play well with win7 even in some cases when M$.com says they are compatible. i went through a mess upgrading to 7 and trying everything under the sun to make my sound blaster work. it seemed like there was no reason it souldnt be working right with everything i tried. it "worked" but still it was just buggy as hell. ended up having to ditch it for a xonar essence.

#9 Edited by gaminghooligan (1406 posts) -

@billymagnum: I haven't looked into that, but I certainly will now. Thanks for the heads up duder!

@sanity: yea it's only hooked to the monitor and as far as I can tell the 23" Insignia I'm using supports 1920x1080 at 60hz or at least searches on line seem to suggest it does. However I will play around with the resolution and see if it helps. Thanks for the help!

#10 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Have you tried using a different video output from your video card? Try using a different DVI/Display port out and see if maybe the problem lies there.

#11 Posted by gaminghooligan (1406 posts) -

Have you tried using a different video output from your video card? Try using a different DVI/Display port out and see if maybe the problem lies there.

I haven't tried that yet, I'll have to dig up a cable but it's worth a shot