• 55 results
#1 Posted by Aegon (5544 posts) -

I appreciate the role mayonnaise plays in the culinary arts, but if I could, I'd rather use something better tasting. Is there something like that? Sour cream mayhaps?

#2 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

Ranch? In&Out Spread?

#3 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Sour cream???? Look, I love sour cream but I won't substitute it for mayo. Have you tired Salad Dressing instead?

#4 Posted by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

Um... well Mayo is just egg yolk and oil. If you really want a replacement then it would need to be something along the same lines. There really isn't a substitute if you are talking about using it in a real cooking recipe. If you are talking about sandwiches then use whatever you want.

#5 Posted by TehJedicake (884 posts) -

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

#6 Posted by Aegon (5544 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

Um... well Mayo is just egg yolk and oil. If you really want a replacement then it would need to be something along the same lines. There really isn't a substitute if you are talking about using it in a real cooking recipe. If you are talking about sandwiches then use whatever you want.

I guess I mean mostly salads.

#7 Posted by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@TyCobb said:

Now I have to ask why you are using mayo in the first place and talking about substituting it with plain sour cream? There are entire aisles dedicated to salad dressings at the grocery store... Ranch is 95% sour cream so I guess go with that.

#8 Posted by Aegon (5544 posts) -

@TyCobb: There are specific salads like tuna and potato that specifically use mayo. I like tuna, but...yeah.

#9 Posted by Gnubberen (765 posts) -

Cream Fráische dressing.

#10 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -
No better substitute
#11 Posted by ajamafalous (11964 posts) -

Mayonnaise: accept no substitutes.

#12 Edited by TAFAE (150 posts) -

I really hate the way that plain mayo tastes, but I've found that if you make it into something like a garlic mayo or a chipotle mayo and then use sparingly, it doesn't make everything taste like garbage anymore - although I'd still usually rather just have more mustard on a sandwich than any mayo at all. Also, if you're making a potato salad, look into German potato salad, which doesn't use mayo and, incidentally, won't taste like garbage. If you're making coleslaw, just make an Asian slaw instead that doesn't require mayo and again, probably won't taste like garbage. Someone else should handle the sour cream thing, because I also don't like the way that stuff tastes at all until it's been made into ranch dressing or some other type of sauce.

#13 Posted by Wallzii (173 posts) -

Miracle Whip is disgusting, avoid at all costs. I love mayonnaise, and would be hard-pressed to substitute it with something else in a dressing. If I had to, though, I'd likely go for plain yogurt mixed with a nice olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Depending on the flavour profile you are looking for, your ratio of yogurt to oil and lemon juice can be as large or small as you find tasteful, or you could completely eliminate the yogurt all-together. Play with these ingredients and hopefully you can find something applicable to your needs.

#14 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Make your own mayo, it does not taste anything like what you get from a store.

#15 Posted by RupertTheBear (184 posts) -

Ever tried Franch dressing?

#16 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@TyCobb said:

Salads with mayonnaise? Eww... when I make my salad sauce, I never use mayonnaise. Along with the oil, vinegar and spices I use whipping cream. It only has 30% fat while mayo has 70% and it tastes a lot better.

#17 Edited by Lobster_Ear (285 posts) -

If yo eat any kind of mayonnaise you're a horrible person. Don't support companies who create such filth. Quit funding terrorists.

#18 Posted by SolongWrex (150 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Aegon said:

@TyCobb said:

Salads with mayonnaise? Eww... when I make my salad sauce, I never use mayonnaise. Along with the oil, vinegar and spices I use whipping cream. It only has 30% fat while mayo has 70% and it tastes a lot better.

Eh, plenty of good salads make use of mayo. Waldorf comes to mind. But if we're talking just a basic dressing you slather on whatever plant you're eating then yeah, ew.

#19 Posted by Milkman (16683 posts) -

@Lobster_Ear said:

If yo eat any kind of mayonnaise you're a horrible person. Don't support companies who create such filth. Quit funding terrorists.

Don't tell me what to do, you fucking commie. You're probably some Miracle Whip lover or some shit. Mayo 4 life.

#20 Posted by Aetheldod (3556 posts) -

Plain old cream ... mayonaise tastes so awful and repulsive , yuck.

#21 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Thousand Island, ranch, franch...

#22 Edited by RPGee (759 posts) -

If it's for a salad, it's pretty damn easy to make your own vinaigrette. I may will even post a recipe.

For any other situation, I tend to go with mustard. I'm not a mayo user in the first place, but mustard is the king of the condiments. And not from a squeezy bottle either, I'm talking some Dijon in a jar.

#23 Posted by Tobiass (150 posts) -

semen

#24 Posted by JCTango (1361 posts) -

@Tobiass said:

semen

I was going to make a post how I was glad for once GB kept it clean and gave him some honest suggestions.. then this happened.

For me, if I were to substitute mayonnaise, I would go with salad dressing. Miracle Whip is good too.

#25 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Man spaff.

#26 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

As someone else said Miracle Whip is a Mayonnaise substitute. I don't like Miracle Whip personally but from what I remember it's much sweeter than Mayo. It's kind of like the difference between Butter and Margarine. Margarine, like Miracle Whip, is cheaper to make and tastes sweeter and I would guess is less healthy for you.

#27 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@SolongWrex said:

@Morrow said:

@Aegon said:

@TyCobb said:

Eh, plenty of good salads make use of mayo. Waldorf comes to mind. But if we're talking just a basic dressing you slather on whatever plant you're eating then yeah, ew.

I don't know where you're from, but mayo isn't a common ingredient for salads in Europe. And I've never heard of a waldorf salad... to each their own of course, but eating a salad as a light meal doesn't make much sense if you but mayo on it.

#28 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Miracle Whip or Mustard. Mayo is gross.

#29 Posted by ftrevelin (72 posts) -

As someone said homemade mayo is the way to go, put your favorite spices and stuff, change something if you don't like the taste, try different kinds of oil (sunflower seed oil is said to make good mayo), maybe change egg yolk for milk (whole milk not the fat free stuff), or use another kind of acid, lemon instead of vinegar.

My personal choice is milk, oil, garlic, malt vinegar, salt and pepper.

#30 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

@Aegon: Mayonaise is the devil.

#31 Edited by Kepler (36 posts) -

MORE MAYONNAISE! Also salad dressing or tartar sauce

#32 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

I smear ripe avocado on sandwiches instead of using mayo.

#33 Posted by audioBusting (1511 posts) -

Have you tried Kewpie? It's a level beyond normal mayo.

#34 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Depends on what you are using it for. When making sandwiches I usually have Miracle Whip and mustard, just mustard or lightly butter the bread with margarine. I have never once substituted something I normally put Miracle Whip on with something else. I have tried mayo, but that shit is revolting. I once made a sandwich with the stuff and nearly puked when I ate it. I honestly can't think of a change as the only other thing I use it in is when making something like flakes of ham sandwich spread, potato salad, or coleslaw.

#35 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

Make your own mayo, you'll never go back.

#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Dijon mustard is a delicious substitute for mayonnaise.

#37 Posted by Franstone (1112 posts) -

I thought you were talking about replacing mayo on a sangy and I thought you were crazy...

Then I realized you were talking about salad, now I know you're crazy.

; )

I've actually never heard of that, I use balsamic vinaigrette most of the time on salad w/ tuna, hard-boiled eggs, or chicken.

#38 Posted by corruptsaves (214 posts) -

Salad cream has more taste than mayo but isn't so hot on warm food except chips/fries.

#39 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Accept no substitutes . . .

#40 Posted by SolongWrex (150 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@SolongWrex said:

@Morrow said:

@Aegon said:

@TyCobb said:

I don't know where you're from, but mayo isn't a common ingredient for salads in Europe. And I've never heard of a waldorf salad... to each their own of course, but eating a salad as a light meal doesn't make much sense if you but mayo on it.

Oh I'm from Finland. We have some pretty well-established mayo-based salads here, like potato salad and beetroot salad, which are typically eaten as sides during the holiday season. They're definitely quite heavy, you're right about that, but as part of a larger meal they're fine. The Waldorf salad, by the way, is an American salad involving at least apple, celery, walnuts and mayo.

#41 Posted by idBloc (126 posts) -

@TyCobb: there is also a bit of mustard in mayonnaise; the more mustard the tastier

#42 Posted by Aegon (5544 posts) -

Well, thanks for all the advice. Maybe making homemade mayo or vinaigrette is the correct option like some of you have suggested.

#43 Posted by OldGuy (1552 posts) -
@Aegon: Don't use commercial mayonnaise it's pretty damn terrible. Do Alton Brown's Mayonnaise (my suggested modifications follow the original):
_________
Ingredients
    1 egg yolk*
    1/2 teaspoon fine salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 pinches sugar
    2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    1 cup oil, safflower or corn

Directions
In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

* Raw Egg Warning
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs due to the slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell. For recipes that call for eggs that are raw or undercooked when the dish is served, use shell eggs that have been treated to destroy salmonella, by pasteurization or another approved method.
_________

Don't bother wisking by hand - get a stick blender (it's good for other things too)... mine came with a tall container that I use to make a double batch of Mayo. The great thing here is that you can just plop all the stuff into the container and blend it at the highest speed for about 20 seconds, moving the blender up and down thru the mixture to insure even blending, and -=*POOF*=- instant Mayo!

I usually don't bother to seperate the egg, I just use the whole thing (it'll be a little thinner but that's fine since I'm lazy).

I've never had a problem with raw eggs here. But you MUST leave this on the counter at room temperature so that the vinegar and lemon juice can work their magic (even though it feels like you are breaking the one inviolate food rule). The acid will kill the bad bugs but it only works at room temp, put it in the fridge too early and you risk bad things. I usually leave it out for 2 to 4 hours.

You can mod this in all kinds of ways (as long as you hew to proper proportions on the eggs, oil and acid). Sub in some chilli oil or swap in lime or grapefruit juice. Add extra mustard or other flavorings. Mix in some finely chopped pickle (or just the brine) for a far better version of Miracle Whip than you ever thought possible.

Slather some on a toasted bun, slap a hot burger fresh from the griddle or grill on top and let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes so the meat juice mixes with the mayo and you have heaven in your hand.
#44 Posted by mustachioeugene (509 posts) -

@Aegon:

If it's a matter of taste, try adding some horse radish or a dollop of curry paste to the mayo.

if it's a matter of calorie/fat content in tuna or chicken salad, try substituting plain yogurt.

#45 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

There are some types of mayo that come with olive oil, pepper, and salad dressing mixed into them that are actually pretty good.

#46 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

Don't eat foods that require mayo, like tuna or potato salad, I guess. I can't personally remember the last time I ate something that absolutely required some kind of mayo.

#47 Edited by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

If I make tuna salad for sandwiches, I usually take light mayonnaise, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, thyme, caper berries, and a little paprika and mix them together with a little kosher salt. Many people don't like the capers though, so leave them out if you like. I almost forgot minced spanish onions as well.

#48 Posted by TheHBK (5474 posts) -

Guacamole. Tastes better, better for you.

#49 Edited by DJ_EuroGhost (129 posts) -

I CAN'T SPELL

#50 Posted by StarvingGamer (8156 posts) -

Make your own aioli. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes.