Megadeth's "Endgame" Review

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Today on my first day back to school a friend of mine gave me a copy of the new Megadeth album, Endgame. Now, I've never been a huge Megadeth fan. I've appreciated what they've done for thrash, and there are a lot of their songs that are among my favorite of all time (Holy Wars anyone?). There were a number of outside factors that deterred me from them outside of their hits. There's Mustaine's grudge against my favorite band, Metallica, and the political themes present in their music. Regardless, outside factors aside, Endgame is a great album. 

It's hard to believe Dave Mustaine is 47 years old. The guy can still sing pretty well and play guitar like no other. While his voice alone has been enough to drive away some fans, I've never really minded it. The album's opener, "Dialectic Chaos", is not only a great instrumental track, but also a great opener that's sure to get stuck in your head from the minute you hear it. After "Chaos" concludes, we're led right into "The Day We Fight!", which is admittedly one of the album's weaker tracks. The drum and guitar playing on it is top notch, but the lyrics came off as a bit cliched, with the recurring themes of the brutality and horrors of war present throughout the track.  

"44 Minutes" is a much better track, among my favorites from the album. The song oddly enough reminded me a lot of "Symphony of Destruction", especially in its chorus. The classic Megadeth feel is here and as someone who hasn't listened to them beyond "Countdown to Extinction", it's surprising to me how they've managed to rediscover (or maintain) that sound for so long. "1,320" is another strong track that has one of the more memorable solos on the album.  

"Bite the Hand" features the chugging riffs and snarling vocals that the genre has become famous for, though wile listening to the album as a whole it stood out with "The Day We Fight!" as one of the albums noticably weaker tracks. It's a servicable thrash song, and isn't "bad" by any stretch, but it fails to separate itself from other songs in the genre, and when put around the likes of other tracks on the album the difference in quality is noticable.  

The album ends quite strongly, with the last six songs flowing together quite nicely, particularly the tracks "Bodies", "Endgame", and "How the Story Ends". "Headcrusher" is sure to become a staple at their live shows, and "Nothing Left to Lose" puts a bow on a short but sweet thrash album that shows the genre is still alive.....and well? 

Overall rating: 4.5/5  

P.S.:  Please refrain from posting comments such as "Psssssshh....Megadeth. Listen to my favorite brutal underground black metal band that no one gives a fuck about instead." and other comments of that sort. It only makes you look stupid and no one gives a shit about what bands you may or may not like. This is a thread about the new Megadeth album, and whether people like it or not.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

dude my band fucking pwns megadeth...they are the suxxorz 

but seriously. I gave it a listen last night. I think this is the best album they have done since Rust In Peace

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By JerichoBlyth

United Abominations was way better...so much so that it was in a class of its own. A truly memorable album.

End Game was like the game Endwar...overated.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JerichoBlyth said:
"United Abominations was way better...so much so that it was in a class of its own. A truly memorable album.  End Game was like the game Endwar...overated. "
All I've heard from Abominations was "Sleepwalker", and that was because it was in Rock Band as DLC. That song wore on my nerves, mostly because I just thought it sounded stupid ("AND THEN I WAKE UP AGAIN!") and thus put me off from the album. I haven't heard anything else from it so I can't say anything about it, but as a casual Megadeth fan I really enjoyed Endgame and as a result want to get deeper into their library.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By super_machine

Holy shit, thanks for the reminder. I'll be heading to the store. Not that I forgot about Megatdeth, I just forget about new music in general. I own every Megadeth Album, including a vinyl copy of So far so Good So What, that I stole from a college radio station. Oh the shame :)

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By bretthancock
@Akeldama said:
" dude my band fucking pwns megadeth...they are the suxxorz  but seriously. I gave it a listen last night. I think this is the best album they have done since Rust In Peace "
Hot damn!  They haven't done anything good since Rust In Peace, maybe I'll check this one out.
Avatar image for scrubbingbubbles
ScrubbingBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ScrubbingBubbles

Nice review! I bought the single on itunes a while ago, and it's awesome. Head Crusher. I was basically sold right there.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

The whole album is up for streaming on their MySpace page...and just from the beginning of "Dialetic Chaos"...I can already tell this album is going to be a fucking masterpiece!  

*EDIT*  Dood, "This Day We Fight!" is one of the WEAKER TRACKS?!  So far, this song is EXCELLENT!  Man, I can't wait to dig into the rest of this album!

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
"The whole album is up for streaming on their MySpace page...and just from the beginning of "Dialetic Chaos"...I can already tell this album is going to be a fucking masterpiece!   *EDIT*  Dood, "This Day We Fight!" is one of the WEAKER TRACKS?!  So far, this song is EXCELLENT!  Man, I can't wait to dig into the rest of this album! "
Haha, my friend also liked "The Day We Fight!" but hated "The Hardest Part of Letting Go...." which I liked a lot. Maybe it'll grow on me after a while.