fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Edited By fobwashed

Update

Still open to any SFX submissions for either Brad or Ryan.

Ver 1.25 05/09/2013

Added a lot more BRAD flavor. Also, the fight is a little harder. Maybe a lot. Depends. . .

Download by Clicking Here. Remember to uninstall previous versions before installing =)

Ver 1.24

Greyed out select screen and fixed dead screen bug.

Download by Clicking Here. Remember to uninstall previous versions before installing =)

Ver 1.23

Various new SFX added.

Download here. Remember to uninstall previous versions before installing =)

Ver 1.22

available. Figured out why sometimes shots weren't being fired. It was because they were being triggered during MegaMan's stutterstep frame which provides the wrong bullet position data -_-;;

Here's the new fixed version. Remember to uninstall before installing the new one!

Ver 1.21

Thanks to @nonused , Brad's got a few different hit sounds now and also a shout during selection.

You can get the new version here. Version 1.21 Download. Remember that you need to uninstall the previous version before this one will install.

I'm still in the market for a jumping, landing and firing weapon noise as well as a catchy selection thing or any other interesting sounds that Ryan may have made. I'll normalize the volumes of the sound effects once they're all in.

Also considering making Brad's explosions deflect bullets. Either that or be destructible.

Original Post

Hey duders, a while back I did a game jam and made a stupid little MegaMan X GiantBomb crossover game. I did a poll afterwards to determine which Bombadeer I should create next. It was Vinny -_-;;

Now, from time to time when I have the time, I've been building him out. I've actually got a couple ridiculous twists to his fight, but they're a bit complicated so they're gonna take a while to actually implement the way I want it to work. . .

No Caption Provided

In the meanwhile, just last night, I had this stupid thought about what a Safety Brad boss fight should be like. . . and I just whipped something up real quick. He doesn't have his own level, and most importantly, I'm missing sound bytes. So I'm callin out to the duder community.

How can you help!?

If anyone could go through some old podcasts/quicklooks/breaking brads and rip out some wav files of Brad cursing or any other bytes that would be appropriately funny for his jumping, landing, dying sound effects and send them my way, it'd be a huge help. I'll go ahead and throw em in and put up some credit for you somewhere. That's it!

So anyway, here's a link to a version of the game that has Brad soundlessly implemented. Knock yourselves out =)

Controls are on the blog linked above =)

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

@marino Here's a new one for the front page spotlight good sir

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

That Call of Duty 4 victory stream is a good place to get all you need, to whoever manages to tackle this.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By icicle7x3

Some good Brading in here

Loading Video...
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brad messaged me on Twitter that he'd be willing to help out. I may be able to skip the middle man and get some clips straight from the source =P

Still, I wouldn't mind finding that original God Fuck! We'll see what happens =]

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think we're gonna need one good "DAMN IT ALL!"

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: I'd be willing to help out if you still need it. Just lemme know.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see Jeff's "OY GOVNUH" play at the start of the fight completely out of context. Then have the rest of the fight play with fake Brad's voice.

kalibr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kalibr

EMAILS!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wish I could at the moment, but remember the last episode of the Lantern Run everyone just started shouting F-U at each other and walked out of the room.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fobwashed

@nonused Sure, rip what you can and send em my way.

@kalibr said:

EMAILS!

I may need to give him an E-mail based attack =\

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pyrodactyl

@fobwashed said:

@nonused Sure, rip what you can and send em my way.

@kalibr said:

EMAILS!

I may need to give him an E-mail based attack =\

yes!

Great work so far. The blow up attack is really good

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This is pretty amazing. The Time to Brad attack is something Capcom should be ashammed that they never figured out.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fobwashed

@pyrodactyl:@mesoian: That attack is the crux of the idea behind what caused me to build him. Originally (and still in the programming) was to have multiple of him start to appear during the fight so at one point, there are a bunch of him running around and exploding all over the place. It was actually way too hard to win so I took it out and replaced it with him spawning back in faster and faster. I feel like I also may need to incorporate a visual cue to indicate when he dies due to dmging himself. I don't know if you noticed, but he only takes real damage if you get "last hit" on him. That joke doesn't seem to really shine through -_-;;

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No, I noticed that. Perhaps what you can do is put way more damage emphesis on Brad's needle attack, have it do something like 30% damage and have the explosion balls still hurt Brad. That way he could be the obvious first in the critical path.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pretty cool idea that last hit stuff. To bad it doesn't really come across that well. That cloning idea would also be fantastic but you would need a bigger level or something

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fobwashed

@mesoian: Having a bit of a hard time understanding what you mean -_-;; The safety cone shot currently does more damage than any of his other "attacks". I also want to prevent him actually being able to cause any real damage to himself because I just feel it's important to have the player do all the damage it takes to kill him. I think I may just be misunderstanding you.

@pyrodactyl: It gets absolutely crazy with multiples. I do have a variable set for normal and easy. Maybe someday I can add hard and allow the madness then. A bigger level might be doable, but I already increased the horizontal a bit from the original boss room size and I'd rather not have it be scrolling. As far as I know, there wasn't ever a non one room boss fight.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By StarvingGamer

@fobwashed: I think what he's suggesting is that, by letting Brad damage himself, you could make him the logical starting point as the first boss in a standard Mega Man progression. The one that's easiest to beat without any special weapons.

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JamesJeux007

Hey duder ! I did not know about this project of yours and let me tell you: it is AWESOME so far. I spent an hour just playing the 2 bosses and finally managed to beat them. Do you plan on making a boss mode like right now, or are you going to add weapons and full levels ? Don't think I'm ungrateful and ask for more, it's simple curiosity. Either way would be great.

By the way, since I played a little bit of the game, I do have some comments and suggestions. One of the problems I have during the Brad fight (I understand you're still currently designing it, so I understand) is how random it is. Don't get me wrong, the "Time To Brad" at the beginning is hilarious and the fact that Brad's main weapon is himself dying is a brilliant idea. I think if you exploit that idea even more, it could be the best. I read that you tried to spawn several Brads at the same time, which could be interesting, since the fact that he respawns faster in the current fight isn't very interesting, nor noticeable. I think the main issue with the fight is the room itself. The top platform is kinda useless to be honest, and whenever he would spawn on it, he would either take damage from one of his own "death balls" or I would just have to wait for him to jump down. It can also be abused to avoid the fight. Maybe replacing that top platform with two little lower platforms or removing everything altogether could make it more interesting. Again, I don't know, I'm just spitballing here.

The Ryan fight is much tougher, and took me half an hour to beat. Took me some time to figure out how to dodge the "Huh", but once I got it, I beat it on my first try. The only problem I have is about his dash attack. It's pretty useless in it's current state. He NEVER runs towards me whenever he does it, and it just ends up being a very easy way to deal a LOT of damage. Also, it lacks a visual cue to tell that it's an attack, and not just him moving around. I know there's the sound bit, but it could really use a visual cue. Or you could have him have an electric shield around him when he does this attack. It would make it even more obvious that your should dodge. Oh, and is it just me or is the transition time when he "casts" the birds a little too long ? I dunno, I might have played it too much xD

Oh also, is it normal than whenever the screen turns to black, the game still runs and I can jump and shoot and stuff ?

Damn... Sorry if I sound too critical now... It's just that it is a kickass idea and is really fun to play (I mean, it's Mega Man, dammit) and this could turn out amazing :'D I'm looking forward to seeing more from you. Oh also, the art is pretty damn good, sir ! :D!

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: I think what he's suggesting is that, by letting Brad damage himself, you could make him the logical starting point as the first boss in a standard Mega Man progression. The one that's easiest to beat without any special weapons.

If that's the case, I get what you're saying and it'd make a lotta sense. Problem is, I don't have any powers/abilities being unlocked by beating anyone yet sooooo -_____-;; Also, while he "damages" himself, he doesn't actually do any "real" damage, just allows himself to be killed to start another explosion attack.

@jamesjeux007: For now, in my spare time or whenever I get the urge, I work on the boss fights a little bit. Tweaks here and there. I did a vote a while back and the winner being Vinny, he's the fight I've been tinkering with in my spare time (of which there isn't much). I just happened to think of something so stupid (and thankfully easy to implement) that I put the Brad fight together real quick. I have thought about making a level, though it'd be more work because then I'd have to make enemies and whole level layout. . . Maybe someday once the boss fights are finished.

The level that Brad exists on is actually Ryan's level which is why it doesn't really fit him =P I'll whip something appropriately "BRAD" later on. . . or if anyone wants to give me one =) I DO need the vertical movement in the fight though to give him more of a chance to run into balls.

Having some kind of shield or sparks around Ryddok when he's zooming around is a good idea. I set him to move in a random direction because having him zoom to the player right away was way too hard.

Yes, turning black and having movement is normal. It's a "feature"

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JamesJeux007

@fobwashed: Really looking forward to the Vinny fight then if this is what you've been working on :')

I replayed both fights to see and just noticed that whenever Brad kills himself, he doesn't take damage... and that's only because I read it here ! I see how it would make sense from a developer perspective but from a player perspective, I didn't notice because it because it's so counter intuitive. I mean, if he blows up, you expect him to lose health. Heck, I was certain it was hurting him. Maybe make his own attacks hurt him and give him more health... or just remove the fact that he can hurt himself. Because personally, I think the fact that he can blown himself up with his own attack add a pretty big element of luck into the fight. It just boils down to : "Is the AI going to jump into his own death ball or not ?" And I should win because of skill, not luck. You could still keep the element of him dying as an attack, but maybe put it on a timer ? Then you could use the big "Time To Brad" timer which doesn't get used at all after the initial awesomeness. And as he loses more and more HP, the timing would get shorter ? Or he would explode into more balls ? Because if he dies on a timer, then you don't NEED verticality, but you can actually use it for a third attack or something (an "e-mail" related one ? ;'D).

And yeah, I thought that make Ryan dash immediately towards the player would make it too hard. But there has to be a middle ground. Because he just keeps avoiding me :'(

Oh also, what are you developing this on ? I'm curious :')

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"Cor, emails!" Made me want to get back into the fight right away when I died. It has that "just one more go" quality, somewhat reminiscent of Super Meat Boy. Took me about 10 attempts to beat Brad on easy.

It's hard for me to give feedback because I'm bad at the game, but I agree with previous comments that the upper platform is largely redundant during the Brad Battle. Perhaps 2 or 3 small platforms at the same height might work. Also, an "email attack" causing 4 or so envelopes (with GB bomb logos on them) to rain down might work. Maybe situate them in a simple diagonal formation to make them easy to dodge (if this is the first boss) and differentiate them from Ryan's hummingbird flock.

I already mentioned this Fobwashed, but it's fantastic that you're continuing this project. I look forward to seeing more and cursing at my monitor again soon!

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamesjeux007: I get where you're coming from but I still think that being able to dodge and beat him is player skill and not random luck. Reason being that you as the player should still be able to tell if he's close to killing himself (since it won't ever happen on first hit) and should be able to position yourself accordingly to dodge whatever it may result in. I also feel like keeping his deaths related to what his character is doing as opposed to watching a timer elsewhere on the screen is easier for the player. I do want to do more with the TTB (mostly incorporate it into the BG better and possibly use it to have level altering) but I'll leave that till I actually get around to building his BG =P

As for Ryan, yeah. . . Maybe I could have him do the voice clip, and then a moment later charge at the player. All I do know is that when I was toying around with various things, the worst was always to have him go towards the player at the start of the charge.

I'm using C# and the XNA framework.

@eviternal: So you tried it after all =P You basically take half damage when playing on easy. I tried also increasing the damage you deal, but that made it far TOO easy! If you're not using a gamepad, that may also make things a bit tougher.

I do want to add an Email attack to Brad, I just haven't really settled on an idea for it yet. Also, yea. The level is just Ryddok's level for now. The platforms will defenitly be moved around once it's Brad's.

Thanks for playing and commenting =) I'm hoping that the lack of other responses indicate that people have moderately enjoyed the thing and don't feel the need to scream at me that I've wasted their time!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me just figure out how to remove all the traces of a previous version so I can try this one.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: In control panel, there should be an Uninstall Programs or a Programs category. From there, sort by date installed and it should be up near the top of the list. Uninstall. Then Install =)

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: In control panel, there should be an Uninstall Programs or a Programs category. From there, sort by date installed and it should be up near the top of the list. Uninstall. Then Install =)

Oh I tried, nothing really happened. So then I tried via Ccleaner and it just blinked and then nothing.

I'll get it though, I want to experience this!

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: What this means is you've already tried the game and are attempting to install an update =) So for that, thanks!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: What this means is you've already tried the game and are attempting to install an update =) So for that, thanks!

Haha yes, sorry, as you mentioned earlier - silence usually means people aren't pissed. I loved fighting Ryan and I'm looking forward to fighting the rest.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone uploaded a vid of the Shoe Man boss fight. It actually looks too easy -_-;; Maybe I'll pump up the difficulty a little next time I update. Also, try out the game before watching if you don't wanna ruin the boss fight strategy ;-)

Loading Video...

rock_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rock_man
Loading Video...

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fobwashed
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still open to any SFX submissions for either Brad or Ryan.

Ver 1.25 05/09/2013

Added a lot more BRAD flavor. Also, the fight is a little harder. Maybe a lot. Depends. . .

Download by Clicking Here. Remember to unistall previous versions before installing =)