Me+Magazine=Fail?

OphliaHuntress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Edited By OphliaHuntress

I wonder... If I did some sort of commentary online or somewhere like a "'zine" would anyone read that?

*In other words* Would any kind of attempt at making a magazine be a good idea or not?

Note: I am not at all trying to solicit any kind of goods or services in order to sink Giant Bomb. I love the site as well as the podcast. Actually go download the podcast. NOW!!!!!

Much love,

Becca...

I am changing the display name... It makes me look like a tool. ^_^;;;

OphliaHuntress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By OphliaHuntress

I wonder... If I did some sort of commentary online or somewhere like a "'zine" would anyone read that?

*In other words* Would any kind of attempt at making a magazine be a good idea or not?

Note: I am not at all trying to solicit any kind of goods or services in order to sink Giant Bomb. I love the site as well as the podcast. Actually go download the podcast. NOW!!!!!

Much love,

Becca...

I am changing the display name... It makes me look like a tool. ^_^;;;

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Do what you want, whether others think you should or not. As long as you don't want to shoot someone.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

Erm, you want to know before you go do something if you're going to succeed? You're going to have to try and find out for yourself because no one here has the answer for you.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine

I don't know, I think magazines are kind of dying. Your better off making a website.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By singular

Yes.. save a tree make a website ;)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187
Wolverine said:
"I don't know, I think magazines are kind of dying. Your better off making a website."
I think he's talking more like a webzine, which I used to run...and I'll say, it's not as easy as you might think it is.  Nonetheless, it can be very rewarding on a personal level.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss

You should start by getting some credibility in the market you're going to be catering to. A place like Giant Bomb is a decent place to start for the internet, but I'll be damned if I know how you'd get into actual magazines. Or that you even should. EGM, anyone?

OphliaHuntress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OphliaHuntress

It's not really a plea for "attention" I just know that (from some experience.. limited as it is) the majority of the market I am planning on gearing toward is mostly men. I am just so tired of those cliche's that say that girls are supposed to sit there and play stupid while the man gets to have all the fun, play video games, and otherwise not act like they have sticks stuck up their asses.  I kinda want to let people out there see that while girls can be pretty, we can still kick your ass at Gears (my personal favorite game next to Fable and Fable II. I'm sure I might get shit because I am not an expert at Gears but, I can sure as hell hold my own.)

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RetroIce4

If you want. Like other people said though, You should do a Webzine.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolverine
jakob187 said:
"Wolverine said:
"I don't know, I think magazines are kind of dying. Your better off making a website."
I think he's talking more like a webzine, which I used to run...and I'll say, it's not as easy as you might think it is.  Nonetheless, it can be very rewarding on a personal level.
"
Like a newsletter?
Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Retrogimp

Yeah, games webzine is the way to go. I'm trying to create one myself, but just trying to get used to learning HTML just now, amidst uni work of course.

Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Hdfisise

I would try to get in on another webzine before starting your own. I know absolutely none though...

Just write some reviews out and post them here and then use them to demonstrate your writing capability to any site you are interested in. 

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Heartagram

Girl's dont play video games

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Go for it!

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Babble

As said don't go into print, first since it is a dying medium but also because with the web you have more flexibility to work and reach a larger audience.