Posted by RavenholmDX (175 posts) -

Finally got around to seeing Men In Black III last night. Was pleasantly surprised by the movie, which I wanted to see, but wasn't overly excited for. It sort of has me in the mood to go back and watch the original movies as it has literally been years since I watched them. While the movie wasn't amazing by any stretch, I found it entertaining, and it had a surprisingly good ending, which leaves it open for a sequel. It's nice to see Will Smith back on the big screen after a few years off, and has me looking forward to see him more.

#1 Posted by RavenholmDX (175 posts) -

Finally got around to seeing Men In Black III last night. Was pleasantly surprised by the movie, which I wanted to see, but wasn't overly excited for. It sort of has me in the mood to go back and watch the original movies as it has literally been years since I watched them. While the movie wasn't amazing by any stretch, I found it entertaining, and it had a surprisingly good ending, which leaves it open for a sequel. It's nice to see Will Smith back on the big screen after a few years off, and has me looking forward to see him more.

#2 Posted by MocBucket62 (1234 posts) -

I feel the same way about the film. Definitely not the best film ever, but its an entertaining film and a good way to get some nostalgia running if you loved the original movie. Josh Brolin nailed it with his role as young Agent K.

#3 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

Ugh I hated it, I can't believe people are actually enjoying it. That ending was so
predictable. How is that the most expensive movie ever made? What did they do with the budget?

#5 Posted by Vandical (16 posts) -

I recently re-watched the films prior to seeing 3; MiB1 still awesome they nailed the action-mystery-comedy mix. MiB2 is a Frakkin train wreck, it reaks of cash grab; The story is tired, the actors were tired and the jokes were tired, the only thing it did good was bring back Tommy Lee.

Regarding MiB3, outside of seeing the films back to back and seeing the actors age dramatically it was a pretty good film. I liked Brolin, the story wasn't as ham-fisted as 2 (seriously a burger king in the MiB office....) and I like the nice kinda full circle approach to the ending. MiB3 fells like the sequel that should have been made. I agree with Rave that I don't see how they spent that much that money, It really doesn't show.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

@Anwar said:

@Rave: Avatar costed more money, where do you get your numbers from?

Nope, Avatar's budget was just short of 250 million, the closest estimates for MIB 3 start around 250 million and could be as high as 375 million, which if true would be the most expensive movie ever inflation included. But that's still Pirates of the Caribbean 3 until we know otherwise.

#7 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

@Anwar: Sorry I was mistaken, I could have sworn I had heard its budget was $300 million after googling looks like it was only $215 which still makes little sense to me considering the movie is trash. Special effects were horrible, acting was phoned in (besides the guy who played young tommy lee he was great). I did not laugh once this entire movie I am obviously in the minority as the user reviews on rotten tomatoes were at 86% when I last checked. In my theater on a Saturday afternoon there were about 10 people in there I hope this movie flops I felt ripped off.

#8 Posted by GrandMarshal (389 posts) -

is amazing

#9 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

@MikkaQ: Ahh thanks for clariftying, I knew I had heard most expensive movie ever made and $300 million attached as a number for it. Guess it just hasnt been fully confirmed yet just glad to know I wasnt completly takling out of my ass.

#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Rave

@Anwar: Sorry I was mistaken, I could have sworn I had heard its budget was $300 million after googling looks like it was only $215 which still makes little sense to me considering the movie is trash. Special effects were horrible, acting was phoned in (besides the guy who played young tommy lee he was great). I did not laugh once this entire movie I am obviously in the minority as the user reviews on rotten tomatoes were at 86% when I last checked. In my theater on a Saturday afternoon there were about 10 people in there I hope this movie flops I felt ripped off.

You hope a movie fails, simply because you didn't personally enjoy it? Lol.
#12 Edited by Rave (370 posts) -

@CL60: I hope the movie fails because its feels like another cash in from hollywood and Id perfer to see original ideas with good acting where people actually seem to care about the film they are making then trying to cash a cheque. When movies like this are successful it only encourages the people to make them to keep making them, I am not condemning people for liking it, as I said I am obviously in the minority here. I really do feel like minus Josh Brolin (he was the only saving grace of this movie) and the big named actors this could have been a direct to DVD release.

I honestly felt like the special effects were cheesy and looked like they were done in the 90's, that bowling scene was laughable. The 60's almost had promise as the movie became much more intresting but they quickly left that behind and it might as well have been set in modern day. The jokes were not funny at all, and actually had me embarressed to be sitting watching it at points, stealing the chocolate milk from the baby early on in the movie had the worst dub of the kid telling his mom the man didnt "say please" the kids mouth never moves; that speaks to the quality of this whole movie they didnt even bother getting a better shot just throw it in the movie.

I also found the story completely prodictable, I dont remember from the other MIB movies (which I admit I wasnt the biggest fan of either) but was J's abadonment issues every brought up before that? As soon as it was mentioned and knowing we were time traveling it became so easy after that to know exactly where the movie was going to go. I dont want to spoil any major details since I dont know how to put spoiler tags on shit so Ill leave it there,

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

@Rave said:

Ugh I hated it, I can't believe people are actually enjoying it. That ending was so predictable. How is that the most expensive movie ever made? What did they do with the budget?

It costs a lot of money to build a prison on the moon.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

@Anwar said:

@MikkaQ: They start lower, where do you pull your numbers from? We won't know for sure for a couple of weeks if not months.

Some article in the LA Times.

#15 Posted by Zleunamme (668 posts) -

Most of the films budget went into Will Smith's trailer.

#16 Posted by leftie68 (215 posts) -

I thought the MiB3 was a thoroughly entertaining movie. Much better than the second movie, and almost as enjoyable as the first. I am not craving a MiB4, however, considering the amount of trash Hollywood is pushing out the door these days, it is good to be able to go to the movies and see a fun, entertaining movie that exceeds expectations. On a side note, I really don't see how they spent over $200 million on this movie. The special effects were effective, but definitely not mind-blowing. Oh and watching Josh Brolin nail a young K is worth the ticket price alone.

#17 Posted by Tireyo (6420 posts) -

MIB3 was really great. =-) I can't wait to watch it again on DVD next time.

#18 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I'm a little hesitant about seeing this. I didn't care much for the last film.

#19 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4974 posts) -
@Rave said:

That whole post is so negative I feel like I need to take a shower in order to wash it all off.
#20 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

I found it to be kinda mediocre, but it was definitely better than MiB2.

#21 Edited by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

I thought one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies had the highest budget (was $300 million)?

I know almost every one of them has made over $1 billion dollars.

I liked the first movie....wasn't really impressed by the second one.

#22 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6301 posts) -

It was the first MIB movie I've seen and I hated it. LET'S AGREE TO DISAGREE....yuk yuk yuk