Mental health

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By TwoLines

Anxiety, panic attacks and such. Psychosomatic response to stress. Pretty common.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By _Zombie_

I'm lazy. Took the easy way out and got medication for it.

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103  Edited By Clairabel

@zombiebigfoot: Medication isn't an easy way out at all, it's just another way of treating the condition.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104  Edited By myke_tuna

I'm just kinda shy when meeting new people.

But after reading this thread, I guess that's not so bad.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By spartanlolz92

I used to be shy but there comes a point where I just stopped caring so much. I mean i still do but not nearly as bad.

oh try to develop a sense of humor it can make things so much easier in life. and girls love it aswell

being worried about something doesnt fix anything but being comfortable with who you are does. being comfortable with who you are doesn't mean that you have to shove it in peoples face and say "I'm loud and annoying its who i am deal with it" type mentality.

as with anything the middle road is often the best.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By eroticfishcake

I can't help but notice that depression has suddenly become a popular topic lately or maybe I'm just noticing more but whatever. As for me I've had depression since I was 13 (being 22 now soon to be 23) and I can't say it's done me any favours especially since I had a breakdown two months ago and recent troubles with relationships hasn't exactly helped me either to the point that I nearly killed myself on a few occasions. Ultimately it's boiled down to a form of extreme self loathing, hatred and my own mortality. It's like that annoying guy you know who always hangs around you...except you are that guy.

It's probably not normal but I'm so familiar with it it just become part of my daily life. I've grown to cynical to care anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been diagnosed with Autism, Social Phobia, Depression and Anxiety. Currently taking medication for the last two.

I haven't really got much in my life, and have been close to taking my own life a couple of times. But the fear of hurting my family, and then them video games too actually, are what is keeping from just ending it...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#108  Edited By Seppli

@forkboy said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli: I'm not going to argue with you. Why? Because you clearly have no perception of mental illness. Do you think I'd be on medication if a daily run cured my crippling depression?

Additionally - after years of recreational drug abuse,

Well, there's my answer.

Drugs are good for you... or why else would you medicate your depression? On that I agree of course. We should every now and then tamper with our biochemistry for extraordinary life experiences. Psycodelic drugs can offer invaluable trips away from what might seem set in stone without - lessons which will change your life to the better forever. To be constantly drugged however, masking the symptoms - that seems dreadfully wrong to me.

Ask yourself what a depressed Dr. Doom would do. Exactly! He'd say to himself: 'Doom is depressed. Doom feels like killing himself.' Then he would laugh, because he isn't just Doom - he transcends Doom - and gives fuck all about how Doom feels. Just another fucking tool Doom is. Just remove yourself a couple of degrees of your own self, if you are capable of such. It grants perspective and room to breathe and think.

I once crashed a car (under the influence of course) into a forest. Positively flipped it into a tree. Whilst I was unhurt (because the tree crushed the backseat area, and a hazelnut bush caught me and the car thereafter), I was trapped in an upside down and twisted and crumpled car, in winter, alone in the forest, away from civilization and traffic. Did I panic? Yes. How did I work past it? By removing myself from the situation. Took me all of about 15 seconds to gather myself. Another 10 seconds to come up with a plan. A minute later I was breathing a cold winter night's fresh air - feeling better than ever before.

Not saying you should chance crashing a car into the woods, just saying you aren't confined to being just yourself, helpless and alone. Somewhere beyond you, farther away and much removed, there's another you, and that you can be in control. God helps those who help themselves. Find your inner Commander Sheperd (maybe a bad example, now that we know how that did end), and save your fucking galaxy.

This is pitiably narcissistic. Firstly, only a complete prick gets behind the wheel of a car when intoxicated. You acted like a cunt. I say that with no reservations.

Secondly, how do you know that whatever drug Clairabel is taking is merely "masking the symptoms"? You don't. You're clearly no medical professional, you sound like some sort of parody of Timothy Leary. It'd be funny if you weren't belittling peoples problems. Yeah, I realise that it's the internet & that's what people do, but it's fucking bullshit. And "ask what Dr Doom would do"? Jesus Christ on a bike, you must be some sort of absurd gimmick poster I'm just not familiar with.

There is plenty of things people can do to help deal with depression. The limited studies that governments have allowed to be done into the subject have shown that things like the psilocybin in magic mushrooms is of a benefit to people with severe depression. I believe similar has been found with LSD. There are things like CBT, & other forms of talking therapy. There are legal pharmaceuticals manufactured by huge corporations in the form of fluoxetine, citalopram, paroxetine & the like. There is things like exercise which undeniably leaves you feeling better about yourself, after a particularly dark moment last year I found myself quite literally in the middle of nowhere, on the southern tip of the Isle of Skye with no money & ended up walking the 15 miles from there to Kyle of Lochalsh before blagging my way onto a train as I clearly looked in some state. And despite having just experienced a real low, that 15 mile walk in the middle of the night through a stretch of land that can't have more than 100 people on it was wonderful, even if it was pitch black most of the time, & my feet had massive blisters on them. But despite that knowledge I would not just walk for 15 miles tomorrow, it came about because of the circumstances.

Ultimately some things work for some people, others don't. Medical opinion tends to suggest that SSRI drugs are really only much use in severe cases for example. But don't shit on things that work for other people. Even if it is just masking symptoms, even if it is merely psychosomatic, so fucking what? Whatever helps them get over a seriously debilitating condition.

Of course it's a narcissistic train of thought, because that's who I am - a self-centered prick with a fuck you attitude. Pitiful to you, but fine by me. Better that, than being suicidal and down, or just bitter and worked up like so many functional folks are.

Drugs, legal or illegal, tamper with your biochemistry. Hell - eating a piece of cake does so too. There's nothing inherently wrong with tampering with your biochemistry - is what I'm saying. Eating healthy and working out is the perfect example of that. I assume pretty much all prescription anti-depressants are mood stabilizers, and hence are simply masking the symptoms of the so-called illness. Don't get me wrong, I do get how one can be drawn to one's own death, like a bug to a lamp - and how that's terrifying. I do get how you simply can't get up in the morning and do what should be done. Been there, and been way worse. I just believe you got to learn to cope with such thoughts and emotions, and the gravitas of death, by your own means. How does chronic use of mood stabilizers help, unless you commit to taking them all your life (which is fine by me, if that's what you want)?

Be debilitated. You deserve to own it. What has been built, it's not worth keeping as it is - so why even pretend to bother? Be debilitated, and learn to live without purpose, simply because living on is sane. Get better at living. Work out. Cook your own meals. Eat healthy. Go and roam the great outdoors. Try and better yourself, find out what activities give you positive energy in return, and make them your religion. And if you must sin, then sin with no regrets. Fuck whores 'til your dick's sore. Drink yourself into oblivion. Do recreational drugs. Break something. Be loud. Be an asshole. Be irresponsible. Sleep all day. Stay up all night. Be who you are. It's not a mental illness, it's who you are. If you are deathly unhappy, so be it. Let it do to you, what it does - just don't let it kill you. How can who you are, and how you feel, be an illness? It's not. It being an illness is a cheap excuse. You are at odds with the facts of life, and the world of man - there's no hope of changing either. Maybe a war, one day - and that's all the hope you'll ever get, and pay for it with your humanity.

I am sorry if I offend you or anyone else, but there's no need for me to be politically correct. We are who we are, and if that doesn't do, then we'll reap what's coming to us. To be deathly unhappy is not an illness, it's who somebody is. Deal with it (like by seeing a therapist and using perscription meds, like Clairabel - and that's fine by me I guess). Myself - I'd simply never call myself ill. I'll never admit to being that helpless. I'd rather die in defiance.

In case you are wondering if I'm still driving under the influence. Yes I would, if I was still driving cars - but I don't. I haven't driven a car in a decade, because I'm a good guy that way. I'm not willing to be held responsible if I'd fuck up somebody else's life. I've also not had any recreational drugs in years. Nor do I drink. Or smoke. At least not anywhere near regularly. Whores are the only vice worth keeping, I say.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By Lunar_Aura

damn and I thought I was nuts... you guys

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mandude

To be honest, I'm surprised that the conversation here is so positive. Far too often, I've seen it written off as attention seeking or cowardly behaviour. I'm not going to dwell on that negativity here, but I'm glad it's being discussed openly without any of that surfacing.

Props to Giantbomb for being full of decent people (or at the very least for having some tact).

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#111  Edited By Levio

I was anhedonic for about a decade. it was such a soul crushing experience, I can only describe it as complete despair.

I still suffer from other depression type symptoms like stress, guilt, and grief over past mistakes, but I can function fully like this and feel pretty decent most of the time.

when I'm feeling really down, I like to buy a few lottery tickets. That little bit of hope can usually help me stabilize myself until I'm feeling better

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Matfei90
@Clairabel said:

I just wanted to get a conversation going about mental health, awareness and people's own experiences with mental health conditions.

I've suffered from moderate depression since I was very young, having been diagnosed at 13 and having anxiety too. This has since gone into severe depression, after having a breakdown a few months ago - I've gone through four different antidepressants before settling on venlafaxine 150mg and waiting on a CBT appointment. Currently off work, but hopefully with these new meds I'll be able to recover and get back into normal life.

Anyone else have a history with mental health conditions? Want to dispel any rumours? (No, I'm not crazy, I'm just depressed - stop looking at me like I'm going to throw poo at you) Anyone?

Pretty much similar to you, actually. Albeit depression onset at 16.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#113  Edited By musubi

Well, I'm no doctor but I'm pretty damn sure I'm OCD and a major Hypochondriac. Sometimes it does drive me absolutely insane because I can't shut my brain off. I worry about the DUUUUUUUUUUUUUMBEST things and the logical side of my brain knows that but I can't ever seem to let it go.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By toowalrus

My dad died when I was 7, my mom took antidepressants for awhile to deal with the grief, understandably she couldn't go into a downward spiral of hopelessness while trying to pay the bills and raise two kids as a newly single mother. She seemed OK, but when she eventually went off the drugs, all that emotion hit her all at once and she was a train wreck for awhile. I'm not a fan of all these behavior-modifying drugs, but I say that as a person who's never used them.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ShaggE

OCD and Bipolar type 2. The only thing I'd like to add as far as dispelling myths go (and sorry if somebody said it already) is that depression is NOT sadness. Nothing sticks in my craw more than when people say "Well, just cheer up". Of course, these are usually the same people that think mental illness is fictional (because what you can't see doesn't exist, dontcha know...), so all the awareness in the world won't help them understand.

... Actually, I take that back. What annoys me most is emo culture making depression a trend. That's some major bullshit. It makes it harder for others to get real treatment just because psychiatrists have to be on the lookout for all the L'il Johnny Hairdyes who pretend to be depressed and use their meds as a fashion accessory.

Sorry for the negativity, just took the opportunity to vent a bit when I saw this thread. I can deal with the depression. Been doing so since I was 6. What I can't deal with is having to justify myself to people all the time.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By habster3

@Clairabel: I take One-a-Day for teenage boys in the morning (can be changed as needed), a 5-HTP pill twice a day, a Super Omega EPA capsule twice a day, two Melatonin tablets at night, a B-complex pill in the morning, a DMAE pill in the morning, a calcium tablet at night, and a Vitamin D3 capsule at night. Of course, this works for my chemistry specifically, and results may vary. Still, it's worth a shot if you're in a bad place emotionally right now

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By TruthTellah

@Seppli said:

@forkboy said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli: I'm not going to argue with you. Why? Because you clearly have no perception of mental illness. Do you think I'd be on medication if a daily run cured my crippling depression?

Well, there's my answer.

Drugs are good for you... or why else would you medicate your depression? On that I agree of course. We should every now and then tamper with our biochemistry for extraordinary life experiences. Psycodelic drugs can offer invaluable trips away from what might seem set in stone without - lessons which will change your life to the better forever. To be constantly drugged however, masking the symptoms - that seems dreadfully wrong to me.

Ask yourself what a depressed Dr. Doom would do. Exactly! He'd say to himself: 'Doom is depressed. Doom feels like killing himself.' Then he would laugh, because he isn't just Doom - he transcends Doom - and gives fuck all about how Doom feels. Just another fucking tool Doom is. Just remove yourself a couple of degrees of your own self, if you are capable of such. It grants perspective and room to breathe and think.

I once crashed a car (under the influence of course) into a forest. Positively flipped it into a tree. Whilst I was unhurt (because the tree crushed the backseat area, and a hazelnut bush caught me and the car thereafter), I was trapped in an upside down and twisted and crumpled car, in winter, alone in the forest, away from civilization and traffic. Did I panic? Yes. How did I work past it? By removing myself from the situation. Took me all of about 15 seconds to gather myself. Another 10 seconds to come up with a plan. A minute later I was breathing a cold winter night's fresh air - feeling better than ever before.

Not saying you should chance crashing a car into the woods, just saying you aren't confined to being just yourself, helpless and alone. Somewhere beyond you, farther away and much removed, there's another you, and that you can be in control. God helps those who help themselves. Find your inner Commander Sheperd (maybe a bad example, now that we know how that did end), and save your fucking galaxy.

This is pitiably narcissistic. Firstly, only a complete prick gets behind the wheel of a car when intoxicated. You acted like a cunt. I say that with no reservations.

Secondly, how do you know that whatever drug Clairabel is taking is merely "masking the symptoms"? You don't. You're clearly no medical professional, you sound like some sort of parody of Timothy Leary. It'd be funny if you weren't belittling peoples problems. Yeah, I realise that it's the internet & that's what people do, but it's fucking bullshit. And "ask what Dr Doom would do"? Jesus Christ on a bike, you must be some sort of absurd gimmick poster I'm just not familiar with.

There is plenty of things people can do to help deal with depression. The limited studies that governments have allowed to be done into the subject have shown that things like the psilocybin in magic mushrooms is of a benefit to people with severe depression. I believe similar has been found with LSD. There are things like CBT, & other forms of talking therapy. There are legal pharmaceuticals manufactured by huge corporations in the form of fluoxetine, citalopram, paroxetine & the like. There is things like exercise which undeniably leaves you feeling better about yourself, after a particularly dark moment last year I found myself quite literally in the middle of nowhere, on the southern tip of the Isle of Skye with no money & ended up walking the 15 miles from there to Kyle of Lochalsh before blagging my way onto a train as I clearly looked in some state. And despite having just experienced a real low, that 15 mile walk in the middle of the night through a stretch of land that can't have more than 100 people on it was wonderful, even if it was pitch black most of the time, & my feet had massive blisters on them. But despite that knowledge I would not just walk for 15 miles tomorrow, it came about because of the circumstances.

Ultimately some things work for some people, others don't. Medical opinion tends to suggest that SSRI drugs are really only much use in severe cases for example. But don't shit on things that work for other people. Even if it is just masking symptoms, even if it is merely psychosomatic, so fucking what? Whatever helps them get over a seriously debilitating condition.

Of course it's a narcissistic train of thought, because that's who I am - a self-centered prick with a fuck you attitude. Pitiful to you, but fine by me. Better that, than being suicidal and down, or just bitter and worked up like so many functional folks are.

Drugs, legal or illegal, tamper with your biochemistry. Hell - eating a piece of cake does so too. There's nothing inherently wrong with tampering with your biochemistry - is what I'm saying. Eating healthy and working out is the perfect example of that. I assume pretty much all prescription anti-depressants are mood stabilizers, and hence are simply masking the symptoms of the so-called illness. Don't get me wrong, I do get how one can be drawn to one's own death, like a bug to a lamp - and how that's terrifying. I do get how you simply can't get up in the morning and do what should be done. Been there, and been way worse. I just believe you got to learn to cope with such thoughts and emotions, and the gravitas of death, by your own means. How does chronic use of mood stabilizers help, unless you commit to taking them all your life (which is fine by me, if that's what you want)?

Be debilitated. You deserve to own it. What has been built, it's not worth keeping as it is - so why even pretend to bother? Be debilitated, and learn to live without purpose, simply because living on is sane. Get better at living. Work out. Cook your own meals. Eat healthy. Go and roam the great outdoors. Try and better yourself, find out what activities give you positive energy in return, and make them your religion. And if you must sin, then sin with no regrets. Fuck whores 'til your dick's sore. Drink yourself into oblivion. Do recreational drugs. Break something. Be loud. Be an asshole. Be irresponsible. Sleep all day. Stay up all night. Be who you are. It's not a mental illness, it's who you are. If you are deathly unhappy, so be it. Let it do to you, what it does - just don't let it kill you. How can who you are, and how you feel, be an illness? It's not. It being an illness is a cheap excuse. You are at odds with the facts of life, and the world of man - there's no hope of changing either. Maybe a war, one day - and that's all the hope you'll ever get, and pay for it with your humanity.

I am sorry if I offend you or anyone else, but there's no need for me to be politically correct. We are who we are, and if that doesn't do, then we'll reap what's coming to us. To be deathly unhappy is not an illness, it's who somebody is. Deal with it (like by seeing a therapist and using perscription meds, like Clairabel - and that's fine by me I guess). Myself - I'd simply never call myself ill. I'll never admit to being that helpless. I'd rather die in defiance.

In case you are wondering if I'm still driving under the influence. Yes I would, if I was still driving cars - but I don't. I haven't driven a car in a decade, because I'm a good guy that way. I'm not willing to be held responsible if I'd fuck up somebody else's life. I've also not had any recreational drugs in years. Nor do I drink. Or smoke. At least not anywhere near regularly. Whores are the only vice worth keeping, I say.

To be frank, you sound like one of the sickest people here.

Having faults and needing help sometimes is part of who you are as a human being, and it's good that many have really seen themselves and sought out some help for things they need help with. Life isn't just about us. There are other people here, as well, and they are here for a reason. We need each other. We are a part of this world. And it's okay to accept that.

In having this epiphany of yours, you unfortunately seem to have lost track of a big part of who you are. And that's in the people all around you.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By two_socks

Severe Depression for about 10 years now (just turned 21). Don't see much difference on or off medication, perhaps I should look into a change.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Seppli

@TruthTellah said:

@Seppli said:

@forkboy said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

Well, there's my answer.

Having faults and needing help sometimes is part of who you are as a human being, and it's good that many have really seen themselves and sought out some help for things they need help with. Life isn't just about us. There are other people here, as well, and they are here for a reason. We need each other. We are a part of this world. And it's okay to accept that.

In having this epiphany of yours, you unfortunately seem to have lost track of a big part of who you are. And that's in the people all around you.

I'm not making a case for 'not seeking help'. I'm making a case against labeling oneself ill. I wot 'mental illness' is a symptom of circumstance - so it's not us that's ill, but our surroundings that are sickening. That's the epiphany. To render oneself ill, is to reject responsibility for what's amiss all around you. And don't fool yourself about this, Humanity has not found its way yet, and in most cases, that's where the roots of mental illness are truely to be found.

Living a good life at any cost, even if it means to ignore the roots of the problem? How's that not extremely selfish? From my point of view, it's certainly wrong.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By TruthTellah

@Seppli said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Seppli said:

@forkboy said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

Well, there's my answer.

I'm not making a case for 'not seeking help'. I'm making a case against labeling oneself ill. I wot 'mental illness' is a symptom of circumstance - so it's not us that's ill, but our surroundings that are sickening. That's the epiphany. To render oneself ill, is to reject responsibility for what's amiss all around you. And don't fool yourself about this, Humanity has not found its way yet, and in most cases, that's where the roots of mental illness are truely to be found.

Living a good life at any cost, even if it means to ignore the roots of the problem? How's that not extremely selfish? From my point of view, it's certainly wrong.

One says they are ill so that they can get the help they need to become well. Of course the world is ill in a broader sense, but the fact that everything is messed up doesn't preclude you from being messed up, too. Humanity is messed up in many ways, and you are a part of humanity. Human beings have issues, and you have issues. Saying you may have an illness isn't just saying you're hopelessly defective; it's acknowledging that you may need help to get better or improve. And fortunately, there are others around who can help and support us when we need, just as we can be there for them.

And once again, that's a significant aspect of the human experience. Our personal imperfection demands community. And community gives opportunity for connecting with others. In your statement on living life however the heck you want, there was no mention of other people outside of an offhanded mention of some women(whores) to use and toss aside as you like. Other people matter, and we don't just act like self-centered assholes with no care in the world because other people are worth being with and getting to know. Making meaningful connections with others and influencing their lives. How we interact and care for others is part of who we are. People are worth your time. We aren't just given strength to run ourselves into the ground. We aren't just given minds to waste them on empty thoughts to ourselves. Our strength can lift up and supporting others when they need strength. Our minds can share with others and make connections we could have never done alone. Life affords us the chance to be with others and contribute to the world in whatever little way we can. Interacting and making meaningful connections with others is a major part of being who you are as a human being, and to ignore or devalue that is to ignore and devalue a major part of who you are.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disclaimer: Mental Health Issues are a real problem, and I feel fortunate never to have had any.

Kind of ironic how some people in this thread claim to have all sorts of mental health problems, but say that they basically don't care as long as they have video games. Many of you have legitimate problems, but many more of you just need to fucking get out more. I used to think I was depressed and actually went to a psychiatrist for it. Turns out I wasn't depressed at all. I was just playing too many damn video games, while ignoring the real world. Now I've cut back on video games, and don't even remember why I thought I was depressed in the first place.

No disrespect to the people with actual problems, but to those who haven't been diagnosed with anything, yet sit on their fat ass all day playing video games: get a life, make a friend, go to a bar. And if that doesn't help, go see a doctor, 'cause you just might have an actual problem. And maybe, just maybe, that problem is video game addiction, and not depression, or aspergers, or whatever you diagnosed yourself with through Google and Wikipedia, while sitting at your desk at home, all alone.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Seppli

@TruthTellah said:

@Seppli said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Seppli said:

@forkboy said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

Well, there's my answer.

One says they are ill so that they can get the help they need to become well. Of course the world is ill in a broader sense, but the fact that everything is messed up doesn't preclude you from being messed up, too. Humanity is messed up in many ways, and you are a part of humanity. Human beings have issues, and you have issues. Saying you may have an illness isn't just saying you're hopelessly defective; it's acknowledging that you may need help to get better or improve. And fortunately, there are others around who can help and support us when we need, just as we can be there for them.

And once again, that's a significant aspect of the human experience. Our personal imperfection demands community. And community gives opportunity for connecting with others. In your statement on living life however the heck you want, there was no mention of other people outside of an offhanded mention of some women(whores) to use and toss aside as you like. Other people matter, and we don't just act like self-centered assholes with no care in the world because other people are worth being with and getting to know. Making meaningful connections with others and influencing their lives. How we interact and care for others is part of who we are. People are worth your time. We aren't just given strength to run ourselves into the ground. We aren't just given minds to waste them on empty thoughts to ourselves. Our strength can lift up and supporting others when they need strength. Our minds can share with others and make connections we could have never done alone. Life affords us the chance to be with others and contribute to the world in whatever little way we can. Interacting and making meaningful connections with others is a major part of being who you are as a human being, and to ignore or devalue that is to ignore and devalue a major part of who you are.

So you say a hearty 'Fuck You!' is invalid? You have to demean yourself as being 'mentally ill', so that you can be helped, fitting back into the world that made you ill in the first place? Why not just be disfunctional, and not give two fucks? As long as that's your truth of it, what's there to regret?

Unloading all your mental garbage on a therapist is okay, but fucking a whore is not? Get real.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By guiseppe

@RollingZeppelin said:

@guiseppe said:

@Clairabel: Indeed! And you always feel like you're letting everyone down. At least I do.

I also get this feeling, it lead to a panic attack in my final year of undergrad. I also get digestion problems when I anticipate a social outing which makes socialising with people I don't know very difficult.

The exact same thing happens to me, my stomach gets all weird as soon as there's something I'm supposed to be doing. The worst part for me is that no one at all seems to understand. All I get is always "Well you're just shy" or "You just have to push through it" or something along those lines. At least this is the case for me.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#124  Edited By krazy_kyle

I get pretty depressed sometimes but I think it's justified. Jersey shore is one of the causes I seriously hope everyone involved in the creation of that show and anyone that actively watches and enjoys it should be put on a rocket and sent to the far reaches of dick all.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Slay3r1583

I was diagnosed back in high school with depression and ADD (not the hyperactive kind). They tried to put me on medication but I stopped taking them fairly soon because I didn't like the way they made me feel and the side effects I got. Also I never got diagnosed for it when I was see a therapist but I suspect I also have Schizoid Personality Disorder.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By TruthTellah

@Seppli said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Seppli said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Seppli said:

@forkboy said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli said:

@Clairabel said:

Well, there's my answer.

So you say a hearty 'Fuck You!' is invalid? You have to demean yourself as being 'mentally ill', so that you can be helped, fitting back into the world that made you ill in the first place? Why not just be disfunctional, and not give two fucks? As long as that's your truth of it, what's there to regret?

Unloading all your mental garbage on a therapist is okay, but fucking a whore is not? Get real.

I say a hearty "Fuck You!" is a sad waste of your potential as a human being, but sure, you could say it's invalid. The point is that admitting you may have problems or flaws that can be worked on or helped isn't demeaning. It's part of who we are as human beings. There's no shame in imperfection unless you erroneously believe some are perfect. The problems people face are sometimes mental illness, but there's plenty else we can struggle with in our lives. They're things that can challenge us personally and even help us in better understanding others. Problems aren't just defects; they're opportunities for change and growth.

The truth is, the world didn't make you ill. The world is ill because you and everyone else is a part of it. The world is a mishmash of "you"s, and collectively, it's messed up. Because we're messed up. A world constructed of just you would still be messed up, as you're still a human being. This isn't a you vs "them". This is an "us". Even in isolation, you are human no matter how much you may attempt to be another creature. You don't -get- or -maintain- problems so you can connect to others. You accept the reality of your own problems that are there and what you can work on, and the fortunate thing is that there are other people with their own problems, too. And together, we can do far more than we could ever do apart. We don't have to go it alone.

People matter. Getting to know people matters. Independent of even this wider discussion of mental illness. Toss that aside for a minute. Simply on the idea of living your life every day and being a human being. Other people matter. That woman you just call a whore is a human being just like you, and you don't just have to toss others aside like they are meaningless. People are a part of your life. How you interact and connect with others is part of who you are. In your speech on fucking the world and all cares, you gave no mention to other people, and that's the sad part of it. We aren't alone, but you still talk like we are. Like you aren't part of humanity. You're part of humanity; you're a human being like me and the others here. We matter, too, just as you matter. And we're actually worth getting to know and connecting with. Caring about other people isn't a bad thing. It's actually a big part of being human. It's part of who you are, and to ignore it would just be a shame, especially for someone so devoted to embracing everything about themselves. Caring about others and establishing meaningful connections with them is a big part of you, and it's a part worth embracing.

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Clairabel

@Seppli said:

How dare you. People with mental illnesses aren't demeaning themselves by admitting they need help - they're being realistic and productive. The world didn't make me ill, I'm ill through circumstances out of my control, due to chemicals going wonky in my brain - another thing I can't control. Who are you to judge? You are by far, the worst example of a human being I have ever crossed in life, and I have been unfortunate enough to meet some scum in my time.

If anyone on this thread is taking in any of this nonsense, please don't. There is nothing wrong with getting help, there's nothing wrong with medication, therapy or finding other productive ways to aid your recovery. You're not abnormal, or insane, or any other negative connotation to do with mental illness - your recovery is just as important as someone recovering from a broken leg or a serious infection, because you want the best quality of life you can give yourself.

You're not alone, there are people out there who love you and want you to get better, and you can. Don't doubt yourself, you may be in the depths of despair but you can get through it.

If you ever want to talk, or you're unsure of what to do then please drop me a message for a chat. Don't listen to people like who think that saying 'fuck you' and taking illegal substances is a better alternative to getting proper medical treatment. Everything you do is down to you, but never think that it's impossible to get better, because you can.

I'm done with you - you are a disgusting human being. End of.

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Clairabel

@Lunar_Aura: No-one here is nuts - just ill.

@mandude: That's what I wanted, people to share their experiences and maybe take some strength in the fact that other people can empathise with what they've gone through.

@Demoskinos: That sounds a lot more like anxiety to me, have you seen a doctor? My boyfriend's dad had OCD, it was such a crippling condition - if you suspect you have it then I really do recommend treatment for it to help with it.

@ShaggE: This is a problem I have too, hence why I've never spoke about my depression until now really because I don't want people thinking I'm after attention. I think I've gone past the point of caring - this is the worst I've ever been and I've needed a lot more help, so I've had to be open about it this time, which hasn't been as bad as I anticipated.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ShaggE

@Clairabel said:

@ShaggE: This is a problem I have too, hence why I've never spoke about my depression until now really because I don't want people thinking I'm after attention. I think I've gone past the point of caring - this is the worst I've ever been and I've needed a lot more help, so I've had to be open about it this time, which hasn't been as bad as I anticipated.

Yeah, I've found that the worst thing you can do is keep it to yourself. It's best to have people around who can watch for warning signs. I have friends and family who can tell I'm going through an episode even before I can, and that's literally a lifesaver.

As an aside: While I wildly disagree with Seppli, he does have one thing right, in a broad sense: You've got to own it and make it an asset. I don't think it's a coincidence that so many creative types suffer a mental illness of some sort.

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Clairabel

@ShaggE: My depression has given me the best writing and art I could ever hope for - and while I can look back and say the experience strengthened me, at the time I have no way of 'owning' it, because it controls me completely and I'm helpless until I get the right help for it.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Jrinswand

OP: Yes, I do. No, I don't really want to talk about it in a public video game forum.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By ShaggE

@Clairabel said:

@ShaggE: My depression has given me the best writing and art I could ever hope for - and while I can look back and say the experience strengthened me, at the time I have no way of 'owning' it, because it controls me completely and I'm helpless until I get the right help for it.

Oh, certainly. I didn't mean you in particular, just in general. It's always wise to take care of the medical side first. I've been in an "I need to make something" mood lately, and I've recently realized that these moods always come either right after a depressive spell, or in the midst of a manic one.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Seppli

@Clairabel said:

@Seppli said:

How dare you. People with mental illnesses aren't demeaning themselves by admitting they need help - they're being realistic and productive. The world didn't make me ill, I'm ill through circumstances out of my control, due to chemicals going wonky in my brain - another thing I can't control. Who are you to judge? You are by far, the worst example of a human being I have ever crossed in life, and I have been unfortunate enough to meet some scum in my time.

If anyone on this thread is taking in any of this nonsense, please don't. There is nothing wrong with getting help, there's nothing wrong with medication, therapy or finding other productive ways to aid your recovery. You're not abnormal, or insane, or any other negative connotation to do with mental illness - your recovery is just as important as someone recovering from a broken leg or a serious infection, because you want the best quality of life you can give yourself.

You're not alone, there are people out there who love you and want you to get better, and you can. Don't doubt yourself, you may be in the depths of despair but you can get through it.

If you ever want to talk, or you're unsure of what to do then please drop me a message for a chat. Don't listen to people like who think that saying 'fuck you' and taking illegal substances is a better alternative to getting proper medical treatment. Everything you do is down to you, but never think that it's impossible to get better, because you can.

I'm done with you - you are a disgusting human being. End of.

That's the sweetest thing anybody ever said to me, and not far from the truth - though you certainly lack perspective in what horrible things people actually do - I'm no such monster at least. Seeing how my beliefs, amongst other things, include that our entire species needs a thorough weeding-out, and an immediate trend reversal in all things, from growth to stagnation and decline, I truely am a horrible human being - because I clamor for our destruction, or at the very least our deconstruction. I'm no activist, and hence no monster. It's simply my world view, and since I am no one of note, I can express it freely with little consequences other than offending some.

To consider yourself mentally ill and seek help is nothing to be ashamed of. However, I do not consider mental illness as something that can be diagnosed by a third party, outside of physical defects such as tumors and Alzheimers and such. You think, therefor you are. Your thoughts are sickening for a reason. To me, the cause of depression is weltschmerz. Any chemical imbalances are circumstantial to suffering of weltschmerz, as well as your daily lifestyle choices. I did suggest you'd try a more physically active lifestyle. It'd certainly could help, and should, because it truely does impact our biochemistry positively.

I am appalled at how anyone is okay with giving third parties the right to devine a person's sanity without any actual misdeed to act upon. A therapist should listen and council, but not declare anyone ill. As far as I'm concerned, it's not mental health that's being judged, but personality - emotional, sub-conscious and face-value personality. How is it okay to declare anyone ill, unless that person demands it, or acts out against the world with destructive intent? I'm not even sure if being suicidal should be considered 'ill'. Maybe it'd be better to take death into account as an eventual certainty, and even take it seriously as a valid choice and option - especially for the elderly and disabled.

For you, who believe you are ill, and powerless - that might be okay. However, I believe having a disfunctional personality to be in order, for it's the last refuge of my humanity. It's the only sane response to the world at large really. A disfunctional personality, coupled with a healthy lifestyle - it's agreeing with me. As it does with many others, though many shroud themselves in illness. Not saying you are such a personage.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I got diagnosed with depression and psychosis a few years ago. I'm mostly okay now. It was fucking bad times though.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#135  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Both my mom and girlfriend are bipolar. My mom has been meds for like 10 years. Before that she was unbearable to live with, but I turned out okay. My girlfriend is not on any meds and have actively been avoiding therapy, and I am weighing my options on wether to break up with her or not (I've stuck with her through awful shit for a year now, I'm out of energy soon). My stepsister is, well, bipolar as well, but to a much more severe degree that also involves addiction.

A large part of the issue why my girlfriend is not in therapy or on meds is because of shame. Her mom has brought her and her, borderline, brother up on the premise that mental illness is something you do not show and something to be ashamed of. It has damaged her beyond repair, I fear. Never do that, always encourage others to share - as with this excellent thread - and to really go forward with it. It is really just like cancer or any other horrible disease, except their life might not be on the line.

I myself am okay but I have taken a lot of pain and it is incredibly unrewarding to live with people that are bipolar.. Normally you just feel completely helpless, or you feel like an asshole for getting mad - although I don't show it - about how much the situation frustrates you and how much you just wish it could go away, and in the case of my girlfriend, that she could just get over her bullshit and get help. Or you just go crazy when the mania comes knocking and you just want to sleep or just not have to deal with a giggling, jumping, full grown woman that just wants to run everywhere and scream at the same time.

The only time I've had my bout with my own 'depression' was when I was dumped a few years back. That was not a real depression however, rather a long period of grief, since I still loved my then girlfriend very much and missed her immensly.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm bipolar and I've got OCD. I'm the picture of mental sanity.

I'm definitely in the fuck prescription medication mindset of things, got prescribed numerous antidepressants when it was believed I had MDD and they did nothing but turn me into a zombie, was worse than the depression. A certain commonplace recreational drug does wonders for me though.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Seppli: You are ridiculously uneducated, and proudly talking about driving under the influence pretty much cements you as a piece of shit that can safely be ignored.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Seppli: You know nothing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Seppli

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Seppli: You are ridiculously uneducated, and proudly talking about driving under the influence pretty much cements you as a piece of shit that can safely be ignored.

I do not own a car, and do not drive a car, not in a decade, because I prefer to be the ridiculously uneducated piece of shit that I am, rather than a functional and bitter and mentally ill person with a car. Any of you mentally ill people still driving a car? Maybe you shouldn't. You should take your state of being more seriously.

And it isn't pride, but nostalgia for youthful transgressions. Maybe you should live a little and cheer up.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Seppli

@RIDEBIRD said:

@Seppli: You know nothing.

Either that, or I'm living it. Just not how you'd expect.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Seppli: Honestly you give off all the serial killer vibes and seem incredibly infatuated with yourself, so I don't think I want to know how you live. Your comments about recreational drug use and working out were incredibly rude and uneducated. It's just pretty much never as simple as that.

Just leave the thread if you're just going to be an asshole to people that are obviously in pain and in the need to share their experiences with others. That sort of seemed to be your intent however, so yeah, that's fucked up.

Avatar image for redcricketchase
RedCricketChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By RedCricketChase

Yeah, in my early twenties, I slipped into a pretty intense period of depression, and was subsequently diagnosed with bipolar and schizoeffective disorder. Feeling way better now :]

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#143  Edited By me3639

Its called life get over it and start living.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Akrid

@Seppli: Yeah, I'm sure if a depressed person did as you prescribed they wouldn't be depressed anymore. Instead, they'd be your company in being the one of the biggest assholes on this planet.

It's a silly assumption that someone who is depressed could even attempt your lifestyle of fuckin' bitches, doing drugs, and crashing cars. They're ill because they are not that person to their very core. They're decent human beings, a concept you seem to think is flawed. Now that's ill. I'd take my brew of problems over yours any day of the week, because yours would come with the caveat of being a really bad person - something you apparently revel in.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Arbie

@me3639: Who is that even directed to? What exactly are you telling someone to get over?

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By forkboy

@Seppli said:

That's the sweetest thing anybody ever said to me, and not far from the truth - though you certainly lack perspective in what horrible things people actually do - I'm no such monster at least. Seeing how my beliefs, amongst other things, include that our entire species needs a thorough weeding-out, and an immediate trend reversal in all things, from growth to stagnation and decline, I truely am a horrible human being - because I clamor for our destruction, or at the very least our deconstruction. I'm no activist, and hence no monster. It's simply my world view, and since I am no one of note, I can express it freely with little consequences other than offending some.

To consider yourself mentally ill and seek help is nothing to be ashamed of. However, I do not consider mental illness as something that can be diagnosed by a third party, outside of physical defects such as tumors and Alzheimers and such. You think, therefor you are. Your thoughts are sickening for a reason. To me, the cause of depression is weltschmerz. Any chemical imbalances are circumstantial to suffering of weltschmerz, as well as your daily lifestyle choices. I did suggest you'd try a more physically active lifestyle. It'd certainly could help, and should, because it truely does impact our biochemistry positively.

I am appalled at how anyone is okay with giving third parties the right to devine a person's sanity without any actual misdeed to act upon. A therapist should listen and council, but not declare anyone ill. As far as I'm concerned, it's not mental health that's being judged, but personality - emotional, sub-conscious and face-value personality. How is it okay to declare anyone ill, unless that person demands it, or acts out against the world with destructive intent? I'm not even sure if being suicidal should be considered 'ill'. Maybe it'd be better to take death into account as an eventual certainty, and even take it seriously as a valid choice and option - especially for the elderly and disabled.

For you, who believe you are ill, and powerless - that might be okay. However, I believe having a disfunctional personality to be in order, for it's the last refuge of my humanity. It's the only sane response to the world at large really. A disfunctional personality, coupled with a healthy lifestyle - it's agreeing with me. As it does with many others, though many shroud themselves in illness. Not saying you are such a personage.

No. Depression, nor other conditions which are labelled as mental illnesses are not merely an issue of personality. Frequent suicidal ideation & self-harm & drug abuse is not just a personality quirk. Suicidal thoughts are something almost every human being will have at some juncture of their life, albeit fleeting. But regular thoughts of suicide is not the action of a healthy brain. Suggesting that it is just part of life is a real misunderstanding from a position of ignorance.

But you are especially wrong in your last paragraph, pitiably wrong. Recognising that you are in fact ill is not accepting that you are powerless. For a start nobody is suggesting that depression is in fact a condition that will blight you for the rest of yourself. With treatment & with effort from yourself it can be lifted from over your head & you can get back to having a perfectly normal life, with the ups & downs that entails.

Honestly, you're absurd, I feel sorry for you & hope that one day come out of your narcissistic bubble & are able to recover from whatever it is that you currently blighted with. But until that point you'd be well advised not to belittle folk for deciding to deal with their problems rather than embrace them in a parody of the teenage existentialist.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I also have issues like the OP suggests. I've never gone to the doctor about it but I think about doing so. I am not sure if I want to even start medication, if that would be the right answer. But maybe it would.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By avidwriter

I don't know. I've always thought most mental health issues were people just not wanting to deal with actual problems and just making themselves depressed. I've been depressed at times but I realize I am and I focus on what has gotten me down and I fix/stop/address it. Self help is the best help. Obviously this won't work with all mental health but with depression at least I feel you can get yourself back up if you have the will power.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By CaLe

@me3639 said:

Its called life get over it and start living.

That's almost like telling a telling a crippled person to just get up and walk, or a blind person to just open their eyes and see. Try not to be so ignorant.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Seppli

@forkboy said:

@Seppli said:

No. Depression, nor other conditions which are labelled as mental illnesses are not merely an issue of personality. Frequent suicidal ideation & self-harm & drug abuse is not just a personality quirk. Suicidal thoughts are something almost every human being will have at some juncture of their life, albeit fleeting. But regular thoughts of suicide is not the action of a healthy brain. Suggesting that it is just part of life is a real misunderstanding from a position of ignorance.

But you are especially wrong in your last paragraph, pitiably wrong. Recognising that you are in fact ill is not accepting that you are powerless. For a start nobody is suggesting that depression is in fact a condition that will blight you for the rest of yourself. With treatment & with effort from yourself it can be lifted from over your head & you can get back to having a perfectly normal life, with the ups & downs that entails.

Honestly, you're absurd, I feel sorry for you & hope that one day come out of your narcissistic bubble & are able to recover from whatever it is that you currently blighted with. But until that point you'd be well advised not to belittle folk for deciding to deal with their problems rather than embrace them in a parody of the teenage existentialist.

I should have written... 'For you, who believe you are ill, and powerless 'alone'... On to other matters than semantics.

The body's growth, that includes the brains, is bound to one's will. If you become depressed, that's because you let it happen. The body is the plant, the will is the stick that guides its growth. Most people develop their mental and physical problems during puberity, when growth is the most accellerated - and hard to deal with, especially without proper guidance. Raising a child is no trivial trask indeed, and many who raise a child, are obviously not capable of such. The point being - I believe people grow into being depressed and/or suicidal, and can grow out of it too. It can be fatal, but I do not believe in it being an illness - it's a stage of growth. And maybe such an outcome should be okay too.

Being suicidal certainly should not be considered normal, especially if one is otherwise young and healthy, but there have to be real reasons for falling into depression. If you cannot identify and/or eventually console yourself with those reasons, which often are beyond our control - hence weltschmerz -, mayhaps death is on your mind forever, and for valid reasons.

I don't not belittle anybody, I simply disagree with your world view - as you do with mine. I believe in being bad. Good from evil. You don't. And you seem to look down on me just fine. How's that any different? Hypocrisy.