Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Contrarian

@Dagbiker said:

I have Aspergers, Social Phobia, and am on meds for depression. Im not lying about that ether. I think the reason I have Social phobia is because I cant tell what people are emoting, so I dont know if they like what I am saying, Pissed about what I am saying, or even if they like me at all.

I have the first two as well, but I accept them as who I am. By accepting them as being a normal part of life, I work out how to deal with them naturally. I just don't believe in the use of drugs and no I am not a scientologist. It is largely a con by drug companies, an easy fix. I am content in the principle of finding what makes you happy and how you can express the feeligs you have through positive endeavours, like art or music. We have been conned that there is something wrong with us and it isn't true - all these feelings are normal - excluding true psychiatric illnesses.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#202  Edited By Dagbiker

@Contrarian said:

@Dagbiker said:

I have Aspergers, Social Phobia, and am on meds for depression. Im not lying about that ether. I think the reason I have Social phobia is because I cant tell what people are emoting, so I dont know if they like what I am saying, Pissed about what I am saying, or even if they like me at all.

I have the first two as well, but I accept them as who I am. By accepting them as being a normal part of life, I work out how to deal with them naturally. I just don't believe in the use of drugs and no I am not a scientologist. It is largely a con by drug companies, an easy fix. I am content in the principle of finding what makes you happy and how you can express the feeligs you have through positive endeavours, like art or music. We have been conned that there is something wrong with us and it isn't true - all these feelings are normal - excluding true psychiatric illnesses.

Then you dont have Social Phobia the way I do, or know how it is to feel the way I do about people. I have basically lived my whole life from the end of High School like the movie the Net. I do not go outside and I do not talk to people. My mom makes all my phone calls, and, Even though I have a cell phone, I never answer it, Even when It is someone I know. I have no friends and never did. I never talk to anyone at work, except to say hello and to my boss. While my family (mom and sister) sit down stairs watching tv, I avoid them. I am not saying this for pity but for you to understand, this is WITH medicine. I cant imagine it without.

Aspergers, for the most part, dosent effect me in a way that I treat with medicine.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#203  Edited By RadixNegative2

@Dagbiker said:

@Contrarian said:

Then you dont have Social Phobia the way I do, or know how it is to feel the way I do about people. I have basically lived my whole life from the end of High School like the movie the Net. I do not go outside and I do not talk to people. My mom makes all my phone calls, and, Even though I have a cell phone, I never answer it, Even when It is someone I know. I have no friends and never did. I never talk to anyone at work, except to say hello and to my boss. While my family (mom and sister) sit down stairs watching tv, I avoid them. I am not saying this for pity but for you to understand, this is WITH medicine. I cant imagine it without.

Aspergers, for the most part, dosent effect me in a way that I treat with medicine.

My social phobia is as you stated (better most days now, but maybe worst at my lowest points). I agree with Contrarian that accepting it as part of your daily life is a lot more valuable and more effective than taking drugs (I don't think drugs are a con, just that they don't solve the core of the problem). Unfortunately there is no easy way out that I've found. You have to overcome it through yourself, no one or no drugs will do it for you. It can be very difficult but extremely rewarding. By overcoming it yourself you will come to understand it and happy that you have it because it will make you a stronger and better person. At least this is what I've found to be true in my personal experience.

This is weird to say, but I love my social phobia now. I can't imagine life without it.

But I don't know maybe everyone is different. Have you found that since taking drugs you have improved overall or been able to do the things you want? Are those things you listed (such as not being able to pick up the phone) with or without taking drugs?

Edit: Sorry didn't see you said those things are with medicine. How does it compare between with medicine and without?

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Contrarian

@Dagbiker said:

@Contrarian said:

@Dagbiker said:

It is not my intention to diminish what you endure, so please don't take anything I say to be that. The problem I see around me, with so many 16-21 year old people is that having some kind of condition has become a competition. It seeems like to be abnormal now, you have to have absolutely nothing wrong with you. My view of what I see is that it is so often about being noticed or trying to be unique, to stand out. So many are needlessly on medication when all they have is a personailty. Again, I am not saying that is you. What I am talking about is these people I reference are demeaning people who genuinely do have a problem. I blame the internet - I joke, sort of. Hypochondria has flourished with the internet. People look for a condition that they can say they have. Drug companies use the classic marketing manoeuvre - create a problem and offer a solution.

I also have a phone phobia. When I am at home, I will literally ignore it, or look to others to answer it, then state prior that I am not home so I don't have to use it. Trouble is, my work lives on the phone, so I have to overcome it and it isn't easy. Why I got into a profession where I have to talk to people for a living is beyond me. Sometimes I sit in my car for up to 30 minutes just trying to get myself to open the door and do my job. Again, I deal with it and get on with it. I just accept that this is who I am. I have had a grand total of 3 friends in my life, 2 stopped talking to me eventually (as I can be very hard work and will inevitably offend someone) and the other was murdered by terrorists. I don't talk to my family, other than my mother, as I can't even remotely motivate myself to attend a family gathering - I haven't spoken to my brother in over a decade. My mother tried to convince me to take medication, which seriously offended me, as I firmly believe that I am normal - for me. During my childhood I did play alone, I made up my own games and I endlessly made lists - I was seen as being odd. I don't believe Aspergers is a malfunction of any sort, it is just the way my brain functions. Sure, I make one social faux-pas after another and there are times where I have anxiety/panic attacks. However, I won't take anything that stops me from being me. I am a good person, who never harms anyone, so I feel no need to change.

Despite all those obstacles, I live a good life. I have managed to hold down my current job for quite a few years (although the last year leads me to believe it will end soon), I have a house and a successful marriage - my partner is a saint for looking beyond the odd behaviour. In the end I always feel everything we do in our lives stems from choice. We never lose our ability to choose what we do. I also take a positive attitude to life as so many people succeed despite adversity. Everyone can turn a negative into a success if they are willing to do it. You just find what works for you and enjoy it. I refuse to believe life dealt me a shitty hand. I apologise if this all sounds sermon like, that isn't my intention. I do hope that you enjoy your life, despite the obstacles, so the best of luck with it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#205  Edited By Dagbiker
@Contrarian I was not offended, I just wanted you to understand. I have always beleved that your past maekes you who you are. And I am proud of who I have become.
EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By EthanielRain

I've had severe depression & social anxiety for about 15 years. If I take my medication I feel great and function normally...I'm outgoing, especially love going on dates and talking to beautiful women :) If I don't take my meds, after about a week I can barely leave my house, am afraid to even answer the phone or open my mail, feel all-consuming despair 24/7 and want to blow my brains out.

Thank God for head meds :)

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Contrarian

@Dagbiker said:

@Contrarian I was not offended, I just wanted you to understand. I have always beleved that your past maekes you who you are. And I am proud of who I have become.

That is the most important thing. Pride is what you define for yourself, not by others. If you are happy with how you conduct your life then the opinions of others is irrelevant. I have had people flat out say to me that my life must suck - I replied that I didn't know I was unhappy until you told me. I look at many so called happy people and think to myself that it would suck to be them, but if it works for them, then who I am I to judge. Too many people care too much about other people's lives. They should just focus on themselves.

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By LD50

: