Metal band suggestion

• 73 results
Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am very bored. My last listening spree was opeth. Maybe you guys can reccomend me a good metal band that i don't know of. It can be any subgenre of metal except for metalcore or hardcore stuff.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 Ben_H  Online

Erm... how about some Emperor? They're fun. Perhaps some Quo Vadis if you like crazy technical stuff. Wintersun and Ensiferum are both pretty fun too. Maybe go oldschool and listen to Bathory? "Blood Fire Death" is a classic album from them.

There's lots of options but in an open ended question like this it's kinda hard to recommend stuff without knowing more about what you like.

kwonton412PREM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kwonton412PREM

@raspharus: perhaps sharing more bands you want to hear more of will help with the recos.

this falls more under black metal but deafheaven's latest album has been on regular rotation.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Ne Obliviscaris.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Opeth are one of my favourite bands of all time. If you want some more Prog, try Dream Theater (although I can't imagine you haven't).

A couple my other favourites:
Sonata Arctica
Kamelot

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ben_H  Online

Oh, if you want proggy stuff, Symphony X is pretty great. The band Adagio is a pretty fun mix of prog and power metal.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're not exactly unknown or anything, but I can always listen to the first four Mastodon albums, though I don't like much they did after that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am very bored. My last listening spree was opeth. Maybe you guys can reccomend me a good metal band that i don't know of. It can be any subgenre of metal except for metalcore or hardcore stuff.

Devin Townsend. What albums? ALL of them.

BigBank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ne Obliviscaris.

That's really nice, reccomend it

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for perniciousdistortion
perniciousdistortion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I not speaking with any authority beyond the fact the I've been signed to a death metal/grind core label for years and run across too many bands but I'll tell you what for production , musicianship, technicality and just sheer awe I say listen to the new "Archspire" album it's called -Lucid Collective sonambulation- it's the most impressive thing I've heard in 6 years.

BTW the label I'm on is called comatose music and my band is called Corpulate (you do not wanna listen to that garbage lol....unless you wanna know what true technical grindcore sounds like beyond that it's just noise lol)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

How about some Neurosis? I first saw them when they played with Opeth a few years ago in Oakland.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By Atlas

Russian Circles are an instrumental band, but make some of the best, most layered, most intense metal around. Their most recent album, Memorial, was really good, but Empros is their magnum opus.

Other good options are Pelican, Inter Arma, Mouth of the Architect, and Palms, the latter being a collaboration between Chino Moreno of Deftones and former members of Isis.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Northern Kings (metal super group that does cover songs)

Loading Video...

Poisonblack (and Sentenced)

Loading Video...

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

um yea i should clear things up a little. I want an "opethian" band but when i say opethian im not refering to prog. I am refering to their death metal style. Like their older albums(blackwater park, ghost reveries, morningrise, still life etc.)

Anyways I'll check out the suggestions.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike

@raspharus: check out YOB or US Christmas, both bands that have also played with Opeth. Both are pretty amazing live, not sure how their studio stuff is, but Opeth loves these guys and Mikael had some nice stuff to say about them on stage.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't know what Opeth sound like, but I have one word for you: BABYMETAL.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mike
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

um yea i should clear things up a little. I want an "opethian" band but when i say opethian im not refering to prog. I am refering to their death metal style. Like their older albums(blackwater park, ghost reveries, morningrise, still life etc.)

Anyways I'll check out the suggestions.

Ne Obliviscaris.

Yeah, Ne Obliviscaris is pretty good and what you should be looking for.

As far as death metal goes, perhaps older In Flames?

Loading Video...

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, I don't consider that shitty music. Second, Everyone has their own opinion. Lastly, It was a genuine suggestion. Babymetal is amazing! It's got heavy metal with female vocals. Isn't that what Opeth is like?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In a similar vane to Opeth there is Bel'lakor

Loading Video...

I also really like Persefone

Loading Video...

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, How about Texas in July and Cannibal Corpse. Both have a new album out.

NoeinJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hmm... Depends wich Opeth do you listen to. If you like more of the older stuff. Then I would recommend Swallow the Sun, Mar Fe Grises, Barren Earth. And if you happen to like more newer material from Opeth, then bands like Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Alcest.are better.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like:

Meshuggah

Loading Video...

Entombed

Loading Video...

Animals as leaders

Loading Video...

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Raspharus

also another edit because i've seen a lot of it: no black metal, i don't like it at all.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 71Ranchero

"Maybe you guys can reccomend me a good metal band that i don't know of. It can be any subgenre of metal except for metalcore or hardcore stuff."

"edit: But not this"

"edit: Also not that"

"edit: Or that"

"edit: Nope, not that either"

So you want a band that sounds like Opeth, is "Opethian", belong to any genre or subgenre of metal as long as that genre is OPETH. Just listen to Opeth.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@71ranchero: the genre is not opeth lol. Indeed it's a broad genre this melodic prog death metal but i found some bands that caught my attention. An opethian band was my primary search criteria BUT i am also very open to other genres, because tbh i ran out of bands to listen, generally speaking.

So to make this more clear, for those that didn't get it, the suggestion can be of any genre(except for the ones that i listed). IF it's opethian, bonus points, if it's not it doesn't matter i'll still listen to it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Northern Kings (metal super group that does cover songs)

Loading Video...

Hahah that is fantastic!

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By David

Here are some metal bands that I like that you probably haven't heard of:

• X Japan
  • Sex Machineguns
  • Anthem
  • Seikima-II
  • Galneryus
  • Sabaton
  • Stam1na
  • Animals As Leaders
  • Feared
  • Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, if you're looking for bands that are like Opeth's death metal stuff, you should just check out Bloodbath. It's basically a band set up by the lead singer from Opeth to do more death metal songs, containing another member of Opeth:

Loading Video...

Petturi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try Edge of Sanity, Entombed, Dismember and Bloodbath.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By nightriff

Machine Head - The Blackening

In Flames - Clayman

Asberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Asberg

Cynics first album Focus or any album by atheist i guess would be up your alley.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Agalloch.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ben_H  Online

Ok so you want melodic death metal. That's easy.

Kalmah all day, every day. You could also check out older Children of Bodom, Insomnium, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Mors Principium Est, Norther, Dark Tranquility, Skyfire. There's tons of them. Anything late 90s/early 2000s will be more what you are looking for if you want a less proggy, more death metally sound. This was the period before tons of bands went into full on boring showboat mode and made things complex for the sake of being complex. It's partly why I dislike a lot of modern metal and prefer that era.

This song's kinda goofy. Most of their songs are rather serious, but this one always sticks out as a favourite because of how odd it is:

Loading Video...

Insomnium's pretty fun too.

Loading Video...

And lastly, a classic. This song is an absolute blast to play on guitar:

Loading Video...

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been that big into Melodic Death Metal but I did enjoy Wintersun and Ensiferum back when I listened to a bit of it.

I second those who have suggested Animals as Leaders. Tosin Abasi is just truly incredible in what he does.

The Contortionist's new album Languages is also great if you are into prog metal.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've been addicted to this, Van Canto's acapella cover of Manowar Kings of Metal.

Loading Video...

Manowar still the music of choice when playing D&D for me.

Recently I've been listening to Bullet for My Valentine a lot

Loading Video...

and of course the Metal Gear Rising Revengence soundtrack is always perfect ;)

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

So I consider myself to be a "fan" of metal, but there's just so damn much of it, I'm consistently boggled when these threads pop up.

I've heard of maybe four or five of these bands so far, everything else is new to me. So much metal, so little time...

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#39 FinalDasa  Moderator

Every Time I Die and Between the Buried and Me are my top 2 metal bands that come to mind.

Try them out.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

First of all, I don't consider that shitty music. Second, Everyone has their own opinion. Lastly, It was a genuine suggestion. Babymetal is amazing! It's got heavy metal with female vocals. Isn't that what Opeth is like?

Dude. No. Opeth's singer is a dude. You may be thinking of Otep, though.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You probably already know of them but I'll recommend Behemoth any day.

Loading Video...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ne Obliviscaris.

Beat me to it. I feel like these guys are continuing the traditional classic sound before they started heading toward Prog.

Anciients is pretty awesome. Saw them on accident and Heart of Oak was one of my favorites of that year.

Loading Video...

I used to listen to a lot of Winds, Prominence & Demise being their best album. Worth checking out.

Loading Video...

And angL is my favorite Ihsahn solo album, some killer songwriting and guitar work all over that thing.

Loading Video...

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By KaneRobot

Devin Townsend is all you really need. Throw in his Strapping Young Lad stuff and it covers multiple styles of metal as well. The best. Start with Ocean Machine, Epicloud, and Deconstruction, that's a fairly wide variety of what he's done. Funny enough my favorite albums from him aren't really metal (Ki and Casualties of Cool).

Type O Negative if awesome. Like someone took a loving homage to Sabbath and The Beatles and put it on steroids and then gave it supernatural powers, but the resulting monstrosity is prone to fits of sadness and rage. Not to mention their subtle humor here and there is legitimately funny.

Testament is probably the best of the Bay Area metal bands that hit in the early/mid 80's that is still going strong today. The most recent album is kind of meh but the vast majority of their stuff is very good, ranging from the thrash-y stuff from the first several years (-85 through early 90's):up through the more recent offerings (mid 90's-now), which were much heavier but still incredibly listenable.

Not my favorite or anything, but as far as "classics" I can definitely appreciate Maiden. They put together some really great music, I've just never been too hot on the yowling vocals thing.

Saw Sabaton earlier this year. Have only heard a couple albums but they were decent.

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pixelrat

try these on for size

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

You probably already know of them but I'll recommend Behemoth any day.

Loading Video...

I've seen them live once, what a fantastic performance that was!

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

No idea which genre they fall under, and I honestly haven't listen to many of their songs, but I feel this is kinda Opethy:

Loading Video...

These days I tend to just listen to what I enjoy, don't really bother with labels such as genres. Which is a downside when questions like this pop up.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been called a metal hipster on more than one occasion. I think it's because my love of drone and noise often bleeds into the metal I like. Even my brother who has a lot more metal heavy taste in music can't get into the stuff I like. So i'll just post what I believe to be the least offensive of the stuff I'm listening to lately. This might be very cliche.

Loading Video...

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Praab_NZ

Here are some good relatively popular and not generic metal bands and their 'best' albums, I think.

By best I really mean most likely to be enjoyable for a general metal appreciating type, in no particular order:

1. Opeth - Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Heritage, Pale Communion, (Honourable mention: Blackwater Park - its a 'classic' album of theirs)
  2. Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm a Burning star IV Volume One, The Aftermath: Descent
  3. Devin Townsend - Addicted, Epicloud, Ziltoid the Omniscient (If you enjoy ridiculous comedy), Deconstruction (Divisive complexity and an assault on the ears, some 'great' comedy).
  4. Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress, Holographic Universe
  5. Solution .45 - Aeons Past (Similar to Scar Symmetry, both have growled+clean vocals, share one of the best vocalists in existence)
  6. Soilwork - The Living Infinite, Natural Born Chaos (Production kind of sucks on the old albums, Living Infinite is definitely their 'best' album in a technical sense. Death metal growls + clean vocals)
  7. Audrey Horne - Audrey Horne (Interesting vocalist, hit or miss in terms on per album basis for me)
  8. Fair to Midland - Arrows & Anchors, Fables from a Mayfly (Great vocalist, unique style)
  9. Blind Guardian - At The Edge of Time (Good old power metal a la Dragonforce but better)
  10. Kamelot - Epica
  11. OSI - Blood, Fire Make Thunder (Sometimes clearly not metal, but another interesting band)
  12. Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings, Train of Thought, Octavarium, A Dramatic Turn of Events, Systematic Chaos
  13. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
  14. Mastodon - The Hunter

That was just off the top of my head. Here's a somewhat typical Devin Townsend song to make this page run even slower:

Loading Video...

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cocoonmoon

Neurosis is still my favourite metal band.

I would recommend all the albums from Souls at Zero onwards, but Times of Grace especially is an album that will always be very dear to me.