• 177 results
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#151  Edited By Humanity

Where is the BomberCon? Actually that might not be the best name for a GiantBomb convention.. OF course there would be an entirely separate tent next to BomberCon where Kessler would sit on a stool and you could throw tomatos at him - thats the GiantGayBomb Con

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#152  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

What does gender or sexual orientation has to do with gaming?

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

New month, new LGBT thread. Same old people expressing the same old views. Yawn.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By biggiedubs

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Dany said:

It would bring to light how terribly video games represent minorities and show publishers that they need to do a better job representing people. It would be incredibly beneficial.

That's an optimistic viewpoint. What I think is that nothing would come from it at all except for segregating members of a community.

It's going to segregate the LGBT community from everyone else? What the fuck are you talking about? The LGBT community made their own thing, and know you think everyone going to be up in arms shouting 'these motherfuckers didn't invite us!'? Get real.

IIt's not as if there going to take you out into the back alley and murder you if you go and you're straight. It's a LGBT FOCUSED event, meaning it's main point is on that community and their place in the larger gaming community, but that doesn't mean it's them and them only. It says it right on the website that it's open to everyone. It's main priority is to bring together the gaming portion of the LGBT community, teach them it's okay to be proud of their sexual orientation in a straight / white dominated group and maybe help to get closer to achieving some kind of equality in video games. THAT'S IT. It's their thing and you're invited, if you want to go.

@Mr_Skeleton said:

What does gender or sexual orientation has to do with gaming?

Maybe when the actual gamer isn't a white, straight person. Duh.

For anyone who thinks this is a dumb / pointless idea, then it's obvious that you're not part of the LGBT and you're not their target audience anyway. CHANCES ARE, they don't give a shit that you think's it's dumb, and they'll do it anyway. Maybe being a lesbian or gay or bisexual or transsexual person in a community dominated by straight people is actually a hard thing, and you've never had any empathy for them. You ever think about that?

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By Buscemi

@biggiedubs said:

For anyone who thinks this is a dumb / pointless idea, then it's obvious that you're not part of the LGBT and you're not their target audience anyway. CHANCES ARE, they don't give a shit that you think's it's dumb, and they'll do it anyway. Maybe being a lesbian or gay or bisexual or transsexual person in a community dominated by straight people is actually a hard thing, and you've never had any empathy for them. You ever think about that?

Take it down a notch, yeah?

I don't know what the point of Gaymercon is exactly, but if the point of it is to have these people play games together, then why not? I couldn't care less. I don't even know why there's a damn discussion about it. Let them do whatever they want. If the point is to highlight the problems with LGBT movements, then this is just the wrong way of doing it. It's just a further separation from an already big problem that doesn't just include gaming.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Humanity

@Mr_Skeleton: I'd like to know when I'm calling someone a "faggot hacker" online if they are in fact gay or not.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By Hairy_Fish

Did Microsoft say anything about Foot-fetishist-but-also-person-who-plays-games-Con?

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By eclipsesis

i've been to Gay pride like 6 times, its awesome they play good music and i go with my girlfriend. in general the principle is the same its not about segregation from the gaming community, its more of a statement just saying "look we exist"

@Humanity: Why would you use that word anyway its pretty hurtfull

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Humanity

@eclipsesis: I was kidding. I usually have everyone muted when I play online competitive multiplayer as I don't need YouTube-grade comments screamed over a TV set into my ears. Honestly I find the phenomenon of people playing a 360 and hearing a TV in the background baffling. Do people have tiny houses/apartments or do they put two TV's next to each other??

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By eclipsesis

@Humanity: fair enough i should have probably read further to understand. yeah the phase of TV to mic and back to TV is awful, i find it funny when there is one person mic'd up and they are trying to intimdate everyone else.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Humanity

@eclipsesis: Muting everyone is the only option really.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#162  Edited By Dany

@biggiedubs: I fully agree

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By leebmx

@MAST said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@MAST said:

@Dany said:

you either support homosexuality or you stfu are the only two options in todays society.

Which is not much different than terrorism.

....... elaborate.

Terrorism = The use of terror as a means of coercion. To be dead honest, I'm afraid to voice a public opinion that goes against homosexuality for fear of what the repercussions would be. I'm even kind of afraid to do it on these forums, because there's a chance that, even over the internet, I'd become a pariah on these boards because of it, or maybe even get banned from these forums. It's basically social suicide, especially in public, to voice an opinion that goes against homosexuality. There have even been instances of violence against a person who's against homosexuality. I personally saw a kid get brained in the head with a rock in high school because he was going on about how homosexuality is wrong. He had to get stitches, no joke.

... So yeah. I'd say it borders on a form of terrorism. Even if it is mostly social terrorism, and not physically violent in most cases. Still, people are practically ready to whip out torches and pitchforks if you say anything against homosexuality. You can have an opinion about it, as long as that opinion is you telling them how brave, and courageous they are.

Yep, hate crimes against homophobics are such a big problem in today's society. Next thing you know racists will getting be lynched....won't someone stand up for the rights of bigots and hatemongers???....

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#164  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@leebmx said:

@MAST said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@MAST said:

@Dany said:

you either support homosexuality or you stfu are the only two options in todays society.

....... elaborate.

Terrorism = The use of terror as a means of coercion. To be dead honest, I'm afraid to voice a public opinion that goes against homosexuality for fear of what the repercussions would be. I'm even kind of afraid to do it on these forums, because there's a chance that, even over the internet, I'd become a pariah on these boards because of it, or maybe even get banned from these forums. It's basically social suicide, especially in public, to voice an opinion that goes against homosexuality. There have even been instances of violence against a person who's against homosexuality. I personally saw a kid get brained in the head with a rock in high school because he was going on about how homosexuality is wrong. He had to get stitches, no joke.

... So yeah. I'd say it borders on a form of terrorism. Even if it is mostly social terrorism, and not physically violent in most cases. Still, people are practically ready to whip out torches and pitchforks if you say anything against homosexuality. You can have an opinion about it, as long as that opinion is you telling them how brave, and courageous they are.

Yep, hate crimes against homophobics are such a big problem in today's society. Next thing you know racists will getting be lynched....won't someone stand up for the rights of bigots and hatemongers???....

You're just two sides of the same coin, the coin of hate, and it has more than 2 sides...if that makes any sense.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By leebmx

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@leebmx said:

@MAST said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@MAST said:

@Dany said:

....... elaborate.

You're just two sides of the same coin, the coin of hate, and it has more than 2 sides...if that makes any sense.

What are you saying??? These gay rights people, they are worse than Al Qeida. Its about time the American goverment got serious and started bringing the War on Terror home. Forget about Afghanistan, there are kids being brained in High Schools and queens making bitchy comments about rednecks at Lady Gaga concerts......you're either with us or against them....or something...I can't remember...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#166  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@biggiedubs said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Dany said:

It would bring to light how terribly video games represent minorities and show publishers that they need to do a better job representing people. It would be incredibly beneficial.

That's an optimistic viewpoint. What I think is that nothing would come from it at all except for segregating members of a community.

It's going to segregate the LGBT community from everyone else? What the fuck are you talking about? The LGBT community made their own thing, and know you think everyone going to be up in arms shouting 'these motherfuckers didn't invite us!'? Get real.

IIt's not as if there going to take you out into the back alley and murder you if you go and you're straight. It's a LGBT FOCUSED event, meaning it's main point is on that community and their place in the larger gaming community, but that doesn't mean it's them and them only. It says it right on the website that it's open to everyone. It's main priority is to bring together the gaming portion of the LGBT community, teach them it's okay to be proud of their sexual orientation in a straight / white dominated group and maybe help to get closer to achieving some kind of equality in video games. THAT'S IT. It's their thing and you're invited, if you want to go.

Calm the fuck down. Did you even read what I was responding to? Because that'd be kind of the logical thing to do before stupidly posting on the internet in blind rage.

I wasn't talking about this "Gaymer" convention anymore, but of one focused on minorities; by "segregation", I mean putting one community in the spotlight. And I absolutely do not think, as mentioned, that that would change anything in the creative process of video game development.

And I think it's hilarious if you think this convention will change anything in video games at all and make publishers think "Oh hey, gay people actually do exist and we should cater to them more".

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#167  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@leebmx said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@leebmx said:

@MAST said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@MAST said:

@Dany said:

....... elaborate.

What are you saying??? These gay rights people, they are worse than Al Qeida. Its about time the American goverment got serious and started bringing the War on Terror home. Forget about Afghanistan, there are kids being brained in High Schools and queens making bitchy comments about rednecks at Lady Gaga concerts......you're either with us or against them....or something...I can't remember...

I never said that they are worse than Al Qeida. But lets be honest here, if you could make all the homophobic and racist people just disappear by whatever means without any legal consequence, would you do it?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By leebmx

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@leebmx said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@leebmx said:

@MAST said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@MAST said:

@Dany said:

....... elaborate.

I never said that they are worse than Al Qeida. But lets be honest here, if you could make all the homophobic and racist people just disappear by whatever means without any legal consequence, would you do it?

I'm exaggerating for effect and mainly responding to MAST's ridiculous comments.

As to your question, of course not. People are entitled to their opinons and should be allowed to express them as long as it is done in a respectful way. Did you really think my answer might be yes? That I would advocate mass liquidation because people disagreed with me? Do you think anyone actually thinks that?

I'm guessing you are trying to make some equivalence between genocidal Nazi's and their ilk and people who advocate so called 'political correctness,' but this seems such a distortion of reality to be unworthy of debate. In fact I can't even tell if you are being serious anymore.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#169  Edited By Hunter5024

I imagine that Microsoft would jump at the opportunity to reverse some of the bad will they got a while ago for that whole gaymer tag kerfuffle. I can't imagine that this convention is going to have a very large number of attendees though. Giantbomb should totally cover it.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By leebmx

@MAST said:

@leebmx said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@leebmx said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@leebmx said:

@MAST said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@MAST said:

@Dany said:

....... elaborate.

I'm exaggerating for effect and mainly responding to MAST's ridiculous comments.

As to your question, of course not. People are entitled to their opinons and should be allowed to express them as long as it is done in a respectful way. Did you really think my answer might be yes? That I would advocate mass liquidation because people disagreed with me? Do you think anyone actually thinks that?

I'm guessing you are trying to make some equivalence between genocidal Nazi's and their ilk and people who advocate so called 'political correctness,' but this seems such a distortion of reality to be unworthy of debate. In fact I can't even tell if you are being serious anymore.

Thanks for helping prove my point. This is exactly what I'm talking about. If you have an opinion that is at all against homosexuality, then you are a "bigot" and a "hatemonger." Those types of absolutes are just as bad as anything else. It's that type of extremist attitude that kills any possibility of world peace. You say other people are entitled to their opinions, yet you attack people on these boards, and throw around terms like "bigot" and "hatemonger" toward anyone that doesn't think the same as you.

If you are allowed to exaggerate for effect, I am allowed to as well. Of course I don't think that gay rights activists are as bad as Al Qaeda. However, just as an example, in the situation of the Chick-Fil-A President that spoke out against homosexuality, the Mayor of Boston tried to run him out of town. So it's either you say good things about homosexuality, or you get driven out of your home. I'd say that's a form of "terror."

Either people are allowed to have their own opinion, or they aren't. Which is it? If they are, then you have to accept the consequences of people being allowed to have their own opinions, and not resort to hate, and name-calling when you don't like the way they are using their free speech.

Having an argument with someone is free speech in effect. I'm not trying to ban you from speaking or stopping you from speaking and no-one in America is banned from saying what they want as the Westboro baptist Church prove.

Also I didn't call you a bigot or a racist but i am afraid they are accurate descriptions for people who hate others because of their race or other characteristics, and most of the time (but not all) these people are motivated by hate not reason.

Lastly the reason I picked on you (and sorry for being aggressive but hey) is because of your description of people arguing against rascism and homophobia as terrorism. I live in a town where we had real terrorism which is a racist, homophobic hatemonger setting off nail bombs in gay bars and in multicultural areas (David Copeland look it up).

Don't ever pretend you are being 'terrorised' just because you people strongly disagree with your views. That disagreement is precisely the result of living in the free speech society you advocate. If you say something people don't like people are going to tell you, don't compare that with people getting their limbs blown off because they wanted to have drink with someone they liked or because the colour of their skin wasn't to someones liking.

Unmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Unmada

@HatKing said:

Really disappointed in some of the responses here. You guys need to read up on what "segregation" actually is, and realize you can't really "self-segregate", at least in the context you all imply.

A group of people wanting to establish a convention that pertains more specifically to their beliefs, hobbies, and lifestyles is completely acceptable. I mean, game conventions are already sort of that, this is only an extension. And further, this isn't disallowing straight game fans anything. I mean, what is this taking away from you? You'd be welcome to this convention even, I'd imagine.

Also, can you straight white dudes please quit telling the minorities how they're hurting themselves with stuff like this?

Well said! This convention has done a good job of promoting inclusiveness so far and I'm glad to see them get more support.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#173  Edited By mrpandaman

@MAST said:

Thanks for helping prove my point. This is exactly what I'm talking about. If you have an opinion that is at all against homosexuality, then you are a "bigot" and a "hatemonger." Those types of absolutes are just as bad as anything else. It's that type of extremist attitude that kills any possibility of world peace. You say other people are entitled to their opinions, yet you attack people on these boards, and throw around terms like "bigot" and "hatemonger" toward anyone that doesn't think the same as you.

If you are allowed to exaggerate for effect, I am allowed to as well. Of course I don't think that gay rights activists are as bad as Al Qaeda. However, just as an example, in the situation of the Chick-Fil-A President that spoke out against homosexuality, the Mayor of Boston tried to run him out of town. So it's either you say good things about homosexuality, or you get driven out of your home. I'd say that's a form of "terror."

Either people are allowed to have their own opinion, or they aren't. Which is it? If they are, then you have to accept the consequences of people being allowed to have their own opinions, and not resort to hate, and name-calling when you don't like the way they are using their free speech.

What you said last, the people who are anti-gay rights have to accept the consequences that come with their unpopular opinion such as the Chick-Fil-A franchises being blocked in Boston and Chicago. Also, just because someone has an opinion on something doesn't mean that they have to express even though they obviously can.

So the best way to achieve world peace is just to accept the people around you regardless of their opinions, unless what you are doing is destructive and harmful to the environment around you and others. That means regardless of their religious views, political views, marriage views, and whatever views that could be declared contentious, people would have to just accept them as long as it isn't destructive. But that obviously isn't going to happen anytime soon.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#174  Edited By crusader8463

Not surprised. If you have ever listened to anyone on XBox live chat apparently everyone is gay and homosexual so it makes sense for Microsoft to show support for their community.

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well have they not supported 'Gaymers' for along time now with characters such as Marcus Feenix & 'companions'..

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#176  Edited By JasonR86

@SpartanHoplite said:

well have they not supported 'Gaymers' for along time now with characters such as Marcus Feenix & 'companions'..

Booooo! Try harder next time.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By imsh_pl

God forbid grown adults from voluntarily using their time to meet in a group which they see fit. I mean, it's a disgrace that they would decide to meet under circumstances that would forbid me from joining. I feel offended that they used their spare time on an activity which I couldn't take part in. These gay people just use these gay conventions to make gay plans about further propagating the gay agenda so our children will be forced to be taught buttsex in school.

/sarcasm

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#178  Edited By LordAndrew

These LGBT threads have to stop. They bring out the worst in our community.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#179  Edited By RichardLOlson

Thats cool, I'm glad there is something for that community. I'm 100% supportive these kinds of things and hope that everyone around the world can enjoy gaming as a whole.

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JasonR86

""Booooo! Try harder next time""

I'm afraid if i go any 'harder' around here someone might get the wrong impression..

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordAndrew said:

These LGBT threads have to stop. They bring out the worst in our community.

Why do people discuss minority rights? All it does is upset the hatemongers who have a right to oppress anyone they choose!

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By biggiedubs

@FluxWaveZ said:

@biggiedubs said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Dany said:

It's going to segregate the LGBT community from everyone else? What the fuck are you talking about? The LGBT community made their own thing, and now you think everyone going to be up in arms shouting 'these motherfuckers didn't invite us!'? Get real.

Calm the fuck down. Did you even read what I was responding to? Because that'd be kind of the logical thing to do before stupidly posting on the internet in blind rage.

I wasn't talking about this "Gaymer" convention anymore, but of one focused on minorities; by "segregation", I mean putting one community in the spotlight. And I absolutely do not think, as mentioned, that that would change anything in the creative process of video game development.

And I think it's hilarious if you think this convention will change anything in video games at all and make publishers think "Oh hey, gay people actually do exist and we should cater to them more".

So you're saying that 'putting one minority community in the spotlight' is somehow different from Gaymercon being created and getting attention? I did read what you replied to, and I agree that there should be more cons, and like @Dany said this is one of them. It's not a be all and end all, it's not your one choice in terms of which event you go to. It's not going to segregate everyone, it's just going to add people into new pockets of the community that they didn't even know was there. LGBT people will meet up with other LGBT people. That's all that will happen.

Also, considering that people are flat out saying that a LGBT community based event is 'dumb' and 'shouldn't happen', I think that a bit of anger is pretty justified. Also, if you think that's 'blind rage' then you're just soft, I'm sorry.

And sure, maybe it won't change anything, but if at least one person of the LGBT community goes to it and meets a lot of people like themselves and is encouraged to feel okay about themselves, then it's a success in my mind. Gamers are just as much part of video games as the games themselves in my eyes. And If a group of them get together and make a game focused those ideas and themes, then that's also a success.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By BionicRadd

God, why does Blizzard do Blizzcon? Can't people who play Blizzard games just congregate at PAX like all the other gamers that game the games? Same thing goes for those weirdos at Quakecon, Minecon, the COD thing Activision puts on and who knows how many other niche gamer cons there are, out there. We're all the same, since we play games, so why do we feel the need to break everything up into little cliques?

What's that? Different tastes? You mean all people don't all like the same shit? The hell you say. Anyone who pretends they dislike the idea of a LGBT gamer convention for any reason other than latent homophobia is deluding themselves. The only difference between Gaymercon and Blizzcon is the niche group it's targeting.

Also, LGBT folks will stop drawing attention to themselves when it stops being a big deal when they draw attention to themselves. As soon as this country stops treating them like second class citizens or perverts, the LGBT community will feel less need to constantly remind everyone that they aren't some tiny little minority population.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By deathstriker666

I'm not so much against this idea as I am just against all "cons" as a social event. Big, crowded convention halls are terrible and very impersonal way to meet people. Likeminded my ass, we all have different tastes in games and different attitudes towards others that specifically like/dislike a certain type of game. Since this conventions allow heterosexuals to join in, I'd imagine it to be as non-sexual as PAX or Comic-con. Some raunchy outfits but not much else.

I find it much easier to connect with others actually playing a game online. Hopping on a server daily and getting to know those who frequent that server is the reason I even have a Steam friends list. I'd much rather be sitting comfortably at home then traveling to some noisy, pushy convention filled with people I probably don't have much in common with besides the fact that we play games which is pretty broad and diverse hobby.

DanteFaustEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By DanteFaustEsq
@Castermhief117: I've seen how topics like this go first hand honestly I love the idea and will be going to gaymercon, however there seems to be a disconnect between people understanding that while members of LGBT community wish equal rights and acceptance from our heterosexual peers, we also like being around others in the community and interacting with them as well.