#1 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1021 posts) -

I stupidly uninstalled my starter pack of office so does anyone have some good recommendations for free programs that can open .doc files properly and nice to use?

(wordpad is the worst)

#2 Posted by Fattony12000 (6355 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo said:

I stupidly uninstalled my starter pack of office so does anyone have some good recommendations for free programs that can open .doc files properly and nice to use?

(wordpad is the worst)

http://www.openoffice.org/

#3 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -
#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

@ItBeStefYo said:

(wordpad is the worst)

@Kidavenger said:

You can get the live suite for free from microsoft, it comes with a word processor. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-other-programs

Google docs and open office are probably the two most popular alternatives for a full office suite though.

/thread

#5 Posted by SamStrife (1280 posts) -

Google Docs fool...

#6 Posted by Joker369 (858 posts) -

I use Open Office.

#7 Posted by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

@ItBeStefYo said:

(wordpad is the worst)

Came in here to say this. Open Office is what I use for everything I do. It's so much more functional and usable then Microsoft Office ever was for me.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Google Docs or Microsoft's online version of Word?

You can use Google Docs offline too, kinda. If you really want an offline solution then I guess your best bet is OpenOffice, I believe a new contender to the free Office suite space entered the fray recently but I forgot the name.

edit: I'm kinda dealing with this myself for my work/uni laptop, it's a toss up between the Mac version of Word (which is kind of gross) or Google Docs. I think I'll use Docs but worried about assignments not playing nice when my lecturers open them in Word for marking.

#9 Posted by Szlifier (464 posts) -

If you use Open Office remember to ALWAYS SAVE AS .DOC format.

#10 Posted by Fattony12000 (6355 posts) -
#11 Posted by TooWalrus (12975 posts) -

Just... google docs, dude. Never email a document to yourself again.

#12 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Google Docs, if you have constant internet access. Its by far the best (though it has its share of quirky issues).

#13 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

If you use OpenOffice, you should be using LibreOffice. Oracle has practically given up on OpenOffice after major contributors forked the project to become LibreOffice. Oracle started pissing off the community that actually make the product and so they split.

#14 Posted by ShaggE (5983 posts) -

OpenOffice is great, but I personally prefer Google Docs.

#15 Posted by Ben_H (3202 posts) -

On Windows I use Google Docs or old Microsoft Word 2003. On Mac I use IA Writer. I love minimalist text editors.

#16 Edited by predator (346 posts) -
#17 Posted by mosespippy (3751 posts) -

I use Write Room on the mac. I believe the windows equivalent is called Kill The Lights. Other than that I use Pages or Goggle Docs. I really hate Open Office.

#18 Posted by wewantsthering (1459 posts) -
#19 Posted by Ben_H (3202 posts) -
@mosespippy said:

I use Write Room on the mac. I believe the windows equivalent is called Kill The Lights.

Yeah Write Room has a similar philosophy to IA Writer. I must admit, I didn't realize how big of a difference it would make. It does help a ton with concentration for me.
#20 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

OpenOffice.

#21 Posted by Indiana_Jenkins (375 posts) -

I'm in the Google Docs camp, but I've used Open Office, which is okay.

#22 Posted by dabe (298 posts) -

AbiWord isn't bad if you just want the word processor, used to use it to write professionally (freelancing all over the world!).

I also now teach courses in IT where students can use OpenOffice, it's capable of doing what you'll likely need from it. Though LibreOffice is the jazzier option.

#23 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Google Docs, LibreOffice

#24 Posted by Scrawnto (2413 posts) -

As I understand it, LibreOffice is the new jam as far as free office suites go, at least until Apache graduates the incubator project they are basing off of OpenOffice. I haven't actually used it myself though.

#25 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I used Open Office for a few months, but I noticed that the formatting of a document gets all screwed up when you save it as a Word compatible file. It was a bit of an inconvenience to my professors when they analyzed my assignments, so I switched to Google Docs. I eventually caved and got Office with the student discount.

#26 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

I have OpenOffice on my computer, but I never use it because it is terrible, especially if you are somebody who uses word processors a lot.

#27 Posted by C_Rakestraw (803 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I use Write Room on the mac. I believe the windows equivalent is called Kill The Lights.

It's called DarkRoom, actually.

#28 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

I have OpenOffice on my computer, but I never use it because it is terrible, especially if you are somebody who uses word processors a lot.

Yeah that shits fucking awful. I actually like Google Docs quite a bit and its useful for school as I do a lot of work at home then at the library or whatever. Also good for group work when that comes up.

#29 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

Everyone suggestiong Open Office, no argument coming from this direction.