• 0 results
#1 Posted by Jothel (913 posts) -
#2 Posted by SomeOtherGay (55 posts) -

what the fuck, why would he join Avenged Sevenfold?

#3 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

PROFOUND SADNESS

#4 Posted by Vrikk (882 posts) -

Eh, the last DT album sucked anyway.

#5 Posted by Jothel (913 posts) -

He's also out of that project he was doing with Akerfeldt and WIlson too

#6 Edited by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

Wow, this sucks. 

I've never been a huge DT fan, but they're all great musicians, and Portnoy is easily one of the best drummers alive. Avenged Sevenfold has always been pretty awful. It's a shame those guys will be bringing him down.

#7 Posted by Three0neFive (2285 posts) -

MIKE, YOU DUN GOOF'D

#8 Edited by ALTF4_FOR_COLORS (140 posts) -
@Jothel:   

Well this is random.
#9 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

Is that really a surprise? Avenged Sevenfold is a band that is highly popular and makes a lot of money regardless of quality.

#10 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -
@Rawrz: Is it a surprise that a person who has been playing music with the same people for like 30 years is leaving? Is that a serious question?
#11 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

I don't hate Avenged Sevenfold, although their primary fanbase seems to be a bit weird. There does seem to be a significant drop off in quality however from Dream Theater to Avenged Sevenfold, making this a really weird news story.

#12 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

What a false interpretation. Mike Portnoy did not leave Dream Theater to join Avenged Sevenfold. He left because he was working so hard that it got to the point where he needed a break. It was for the best of everyone that it happen, but the rest of the band did not want that. So to stay out of their way, Mike left.

It's truly unfortunate that this happened. But he would not leave Dream Theater to join Avenged Sevenfold. Get your facts right before you open your mouth... please. I'm sorry, but this is such a personal topic. Mike Portnoy is my biggest influence and Dream Theater is my favorite band.

#13 Posted by Vrikk (882 posts) -
@Xanth93: Actually, no matter how you look at it he did leave for Avenged Sevenfold. He was incredibly happy when he had a #1 US album with them, which is something he never got with Dream Theater. He wants more money and more fame (which I don't blame him, DT has an underground fan base and he has always been an incredible person and musician). 

If the topic title was "James LaBrie leaves Dream Theater" I bet no one would notice, though :)
#14 Posted by SomethingClever (417 posts) -

Hmmm, dude I work with is a huge DT fan but really likes the guys individually as well and the various projects they get involved in.  I'm curious how he will react to this.  It wouldn't surprise me if some form of DT still exists in the future, maybe in the form of more Liquid Tension Experiment type stuff.

#15 Posted by Tebbit (4447 posts) -

sadface

#16 Posted by 71Ranchero (2673 posts) -

Avenged Sevenfold? Are your fucking kidding me? What next, Steve Vai joining Blink 128?  

I realize I have no right to be but I am furious that a talent like that is going to be in THAT band. Good luck to him though I guess. At least I have the old stuff.

#17 Posted by Matt (954 posts) -

Huh. I like both bands but a weird move none the less.

#18 Posted by Ben_H (3294 posts) -
@Vrikk said:
" If the topic title was "James LaBrie leaves Dream Theater" I bet no one would notice, though :) "
Personally, I would applaud.  Labrie got progressively worse as time passed. 

I'm still in a state of shock about this.  Two bummers in one night, first the Bombcast crap now this.
#19 Posted by Tebbit (4447 posts) -
@Ben_H said:
" @Vrikk said:
" If the topic title was "James LaBrie leaves Dream Theater" I bet no one would notice, though :) "
Personally, I would applaud.  Labrie got progressively worse as time passed.  I'm still in a state of shock about this.  Two bummers in one night, first the Bombcast crap now this. "
Hehe, poor old James LaBrie. Hated by some.
#20 Posted by Phog_of_War (215 posts) -

#21 Posted by DarkS29 (74 posts) -

I read that shit and fuck him fuck him hard up the ass one of my dreams was to see dt live and now that wont happen FUCK LIVING IN CENTRAL AMERICA

#22 Edited by PushThePig (64 posts) -

To be honest I'm saddened, but somewhat happy. Last two albums have been really cheesy sounding to me because they tried to go too much in the metal direction, presumably under Portnoy's direction. I hope they get another amazing drummer to replace him and go back towards a more progressive Images and Words kinda sound.

#23 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2906 posts) -

I have only heard Avenged Sevenfold through Guitar Hero but Portnoy is a god so maybe I'll give them a listen.

#24 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

I kinda like A7x, so cool?

#25 Posted by Themanohall (397 posts) -

That's really sad. I thought it was cool when he did an album with Avenged Sevenfold, but it really sucks that he'd leave DT for them. Too bad he can't be in both bands at once.

#26 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -
@Vrikk:  I don't think so. There's no way he'd leave a band he was a founding member of for a quarter of a century just to join a band who he isn't a true member of. He's just there to keep the Avenged guys on their feet and move them forward while they still cope from the Rev's death. Seriously, get your facts right.
#27 Edited by pepsicolagirl (163 posts) -

NO WAY! 

Mike Portnoy IS Dream Theater.  

I am shocked. 

#28 Posted by BloodRedReaper (107 posts) -

Hahahaha

#29 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

APRIL FOOLS!!! Nice try, but you can't ge.... wait a sec...
#30 Posted by Tebbit (4447 posts) -
@pepsicolagirl said:
" NO WAY! 

Mike Portnoy IS Dream Theater.   I am shocked.  "
I don't envy their next drummer. He's gonna have to be freaking awesome. Also, lyrics. James LaBrie won't know what to put out of his mouth!
#31 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! So will Petrucci be writing all the songs now? WTF?! HOW IS THIS GOING TO WORK!

(Though if this means more John Myung lyrics, it's not all bad...)

#32 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Someone leaves something for something else? This thread is confusing me, I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

#33 Posted by NubMonk (209 posts) -

Talk about downgrading.

#34 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

Dude can do what the hell he likes. I've personally never been a fan of Dream Theatre, but nor am I a fan of Avenged Sevenfold. He's a decent drummer and he's entitled to play with whoever he likes.

#35 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

This is the worst news I could have ever (not) expected to read. Can't quantify how I feel about this.

Fuck.

#36 Posted by Jothel (913 posts) -
@Meltbrain: yeah he can do whatever the hell he likes but clearly his decision to do so has caused a lot of anger, upset and disappointment as you can clearly see in this thread
#37 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -

but dream theater are a bunch of technically excellent musicians playing indulgent crap 
perhaps this is for the best

#38 Posted by ape_dosmil (514 posts) -
  • More money
  • Better looking groupies
#39 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

Guys, this is from Mike Portnoy's Facebook page.

"I BEG of the fans to please NOT hold A7X responsible for MY decision...they are just as shocked as you guys..I had been contemplating this and desiring a "break" (not split) as long ago as last year...everything else is fully explained in the press release...thank you all for your support and understanding...this is th ... e hardest thing I've ever done... : ("

#40 Posted by JSwan13 (274 posts) -

PORTNOY IS NOT JOINING A7X.  

He is leaving DT but hasn't decided what he is going to do after he finishes filling in as the A7X drummer  for their tour right now.

#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Atramentous said:
" Avenged Sevenfold? Are your fucking kidding me? What next, Steve Vai joining Blink 128?  

I realize I have no right to be but I am furious that a talent like that is going to be in THAT band. Good luck to him though I guess. At least I have the old stuff. "
im sick of people like you who talk shit about a band because they have the wrong looks or the wrong fans 
 fuck their looks and fuck their fans. their music is high quality heavy metal with more talent and emotion and meanings and diversity in vocals and guitar sound than half of those fucking metal acts we got screaming like bitches nowadays 

They're almost nothing compared to Dream motherfucking Theater. and Portnoy leaving DT is really sad and fucked up, but Avenged Sevenfold are an outstanding heavy metal group with outstanding music. and they're not even on my top 5 bands list 

Did any of you dissing Portnoy joining Avenged Sevenfold listen to the 10-minute piece of heaven they released called Save Me ? 
#42 Posted by Dysnomia (689 posts) -

No where does it say he'll be permanently joining Avenged Sevenfold... 

But I ever really listened to Dream Theater, Panic Attack was pretty cool though. 

#43 Edited by Jothel (913 posts) -

I should probably say when i made this thread, a lot of it was a kneejerk reaction, i was INSANELY pissed off about him leaving and wasnt thinking super straight. dream theater are a band i love and MP is a huge part of them, there were rumours that he was going to be joining A7X permanently and that kinda pushed me over the edge and i didnt really read into the fact...just instead went "BLFEFGSACKFUFKFUKC" and so on....while i'm still annoyed that he left i can understand it and do wish him the best in his future endeavours

#44 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Lol metal

#45 Posted by Jonathan (654 posts) -

He left an awful band to join a worse, but more popular, band. He knew he was already making shitty music, he just wanted more money.

#46 Posted by Venatio (4483 posts) -

Well, that sucks

#47 Posted by yakov456 (1896 posts) -

I don't know many DT songs, but I think AS blows so it sounds like a bad move.

#48 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

I thought Mike wanted a break from DT, but the rest of the crew was against that, and hence the split. Nothing about A7.

#49 Posted by Praab_NZ (279 posts) -
@JSwan13 said:
"PORTNOY IS NOT JOINING A7X.   He is leaving DT but hasn't decided what he is going to do after he finishes filling in as the A7X drummer  for their tour right now. "

Jesus i was looking for someone who actually knew what was going on before I posted myself. 
Also if you hate A7X and like Dream Theater then you probably don't like any heavy DT.
#50 Posted by Brutal_Bisp (145 posts) -

AvengedX7 used to play shows on the lake shore behind my old house, before they were famous. Needless to say, those bro's suck ass.