Misattributed movies?

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By medacris

TL;DR: I went to see an art exhibit of Tim Burton's work awhile back. Among the pieces displayed were the puppets for Spider and Centipede from James and The Giant Peach...which I was recently informed he didn't actually work on. I hate when someone gets credit for something they didn't do.

So I ask you: Did you ever attribute your favorite performance to the wrong actor, someone who wasn't in that particular movie? Or something along those lines?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Tim Burton co-produced James and the Giant Peach.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cornbredx

Tim Burton did work on James and the Giant Peach (producer). I think the disconnect (and confusion) is that it's actually a Henry Selick movie. Why is this confusing? Because all his work is similar in tone and atmosphere to Tim Burton (which is probably why Tim Burton worked with him on animated films so many times- I don't know enough about it, but maybe they went to school together or something). Edit: I should clarify that Tim Burton does/did design work for several of Henry Selick's films. Even though he isn't attributed this in James and the Giant Peach it's possible if he didn't that Henry Selick was already influenced by Tim Burton's previous work which is why even the films Tim Burton didn't work on still have that look about them. Or the other way around and Tim Burton was influenced by Henry Selick. Again, I don't know enough about their relationship to say that for certain, but they did (do? probably still do) have a long relationship in film so there was some creative osmosis going on.

Anyway, to answer your question, no. I know to much about film to be confused by that stuff. Maybe when I was younger, but I can't recall that. I read books about film at a very young age so I've kind of always had an interest as much in the behind the scenes of film as the film itself. I even read this one book, when I was like 10 or something, about how to make an action film with a female lead interesting. At the time it was considered a risky film to have a female lead unless it was maybe a comedy or a romance film.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first time I saw a scene from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (didn't know anything about it at the time) I confused Johnny Depp for Jeremy Piven and told my friend. Luckily for me, he knew a bit more and set me straight. Which was confusing since my brain had already made up it's mind. But when I saw the entire film it clicked in place correctly.

Though on the subject but not me, I am curious how many people miscredit the song Tainted Love to Soft Cell.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

People commonly cite Kevin Bacon as being in Footloose. Kevin Bacon was not, in fact, in Footloose.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@shadowconqueror: You high or something? Kevin Bacon IS in footloose unless you are being sarcastic or something.

To the OP only thing that comes to mind and probably many people did is that I thought that A Nightmare Before Christmass was directed by Tim Burton but isnt.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

So far this thread actually seems to be about mis-misattributions.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Feathered

One time, somebody asked me who played Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. I had been watching a fair amount of WWE at the time, and mistakenly told them it was Jeff Hardy instead of Tom Hardy.

No Caption Provided

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By GalacticPunt

@feathered: Similarly, I got Michael Cera's and John Cena's names mixed up once, which lead to a very confusing conversation in a bar about Scott Pilgrim or one of his other movies.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Man this thread is confusing....

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: Kevin Bacon is absolutely not in Footloose.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By nophilip
Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm not sure how, but I watched the entirety of Watchmen thinking that the comedian was played by Robert Downey Jr.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tested's Will Smith get a lot of parse/ flack on twitter for the actor Will Smith's work.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

People commonly cite Kevin Bacon as being in Footloose. Kevin Bacon was not, in fact, in Footloose.

Who is this then?

Loading Video...

Maybe you watched the remake and are thinking of that.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ice-T in Anaconda.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In music I Thought "Dream on" was a Led Zeppelin song for years. Turns out its Aerosmith. Love both bands, but my GF and I argued about it the whole ride home.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By planetfunksquad

@nophilip: IMDB is fuckin' dusted. Patrick Swayze was in Footloose.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: Swayze was in Dirty Dancing.

Is this a new meme I'm not understanding or something?

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@feathered: I tend to get Jeff Hardy (wrestler) Tom Hardy (Actor) and Dan Hardy (MMA fighter) mixed up all the time.

I tend to more often than not attribute the wrong voice actor to a role more than anything else. I feel like in cartoons and anime you get the same 5 or 6 people popping up in both and when you go to IMDB you just get a who's who of roles. In Catherine, I remember listening to you 3 friends at that bar and going "Oh so-and-so is THIS from THAT," and it would be the person sitting right next to them at the bar who actually play the so-and-so. Most recently I totally thought Troy Baker was Kanji in Persona Q but it turns out they got a different guy?

Lame.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShaggE

@shadowconqueror said:

Who is this then?

Bruce Vilanch.

Kevin Bacon was busy filming Ernest Goes To Jail, a three-time Grammy winning comedy from 1947 about a nerdy professor becoming a suave playboy via a formula he invented, not to be confused with the remake starring Kelsey Grammer of "Friends" fame (he played the iconic role of Steve Urkel).

Source: The post I just wrote.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voidprod: Don't know where you're getting your info, but Dirty Dancing was Kevin Kostner.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@dudeglove: Good to see I am not the only one. I got their names mixed up, which always leads to weird conversations.

Before Jennifer Lawrence was in everything, I used to think of the girl in Hugo as the girl in Hunger Games...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread got a lot trollier than I expected.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

You gotta give credit where credit is due, which is why it's such a shame that people often forget that Keith David was the leading role in Footloose.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread got a lot trollier than I expected.

I know right?