#1 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

http://emergency.mit.edu/

Haven't had enough terrible news this week? According to Twitter there's a shooter at MIT right now. Not many details yet but goddamn.

I'm checkin out. This is nuts. Hopefully nobody gets hurt but how likely is that?

#2 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -

some guy in greece shot a bunch of workers because they asked him when they'd get paid.

no one died but still, this is a rough week.

#3 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

@animasta: Didn't hear about that. Good that nobody died there at least. Ugh I need a drink.

#4 Edited by believer258 (12210 posts) -

Fuck.

I hope that no one gets hurt.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15179 posts) -

Well, when it rains it pours I suppose. Still, this has been a crazy week.

#6 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

CNN is saying a cop was shot but... it's CNN.

#7 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Holy shit, what the hell. First Boston Bombing, then that humongous explosion in Texas, and now this. Bad week. Bad bad week.

#8 Posted by Chaser324 (6745 posts) -

It's being reported that a police officer has been shot. Apparently the area has been blocked off around where this active shooter is:

#9 Edited by Sanity (1951 posts) -

This is thought to be in relation to a nearby robbery, so i dont think hes targeting students or anything, lets hope not anyways.

#10 Edited by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

I got into contact with some of my friends and brothers at MIT, and they are all safe. A few students were in the Stata center, but they are all safe and hidden away in there.

#11 Edited by Sackmanjones (4762 posts) -

Ok please don't attack me for trying to find a silver lining of this terrible thing happening, but at least its during the evening when its less populated. I know there are still peoples lives at stake but like I said, trying to find some sort of positive in a shit storm

#12 Posted by Sackmanjones (4762 posts) -
@sanity said:

This is thought to be in relation to a nearby robbery, so i dont think hes targeting students or anything, lets hope not anyways.

This makes sense considering the time, if it was a school shooting it most likely would occur during midday when campus is crowded.

#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

Ok please don't attack me for trying to find a silver lining of this terrible thing happening, but at least its during the evening when its less populated. I know there are still peoples lives at stake but like I said, trying to find some sort of positive in a shit storm

Nah what you're saying makes sense. And if it is a dude fleeing a robbery that's another 'positive' as opposed to somebody going for a body count. Hopefully it's resolved quickly.

#14 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

27 people were killed in Baghdad tonight....No one ever cares when that happens, but when 2 people die at a marathon, or 6 at a factory it's huge news....

#15 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1857 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

27 people were killed in Baghdad tonight....No one ever cares when that happens, but when 2 people die at a marathon, or 6 at a factory it's huge news....

It's only sad when Americans die.

#16 Posted by ShaggE (6722 posts) -

Can't wait for this week to be over. So much suck in such a short period of time...

I mean, shit like this goes down constantly, but still.

#17 Edited by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Well I was an MIT student, so I feel that it is pretty relevant to me. Especially when one of my fraternity brothers is in the Stata center right next to where the shooting took place. Also, I'm not diminishing the bombing in Baghdad. I read about that earlier in the news as well, but I'm not just going to gloss over something that happened at a place near to myself.

#18 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1857 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

This was sarcasm, before somebody says something dumb(er).

#19 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@artemesia said:

@artemesia said:

@jdh5153 said:

It's true though. More accurately, it only matters to everyone when white people die. Where's the Red Cross drive for those affected by bombings in the Middle East? Where's the call to action? Where are the donations?

Same goes for Chicago, or any other urban environment.

#20 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@artemesia said:

@artemesia said:

@jdh5153 said:

It's true though. More accurately, it only matters to everyone when white people die. Where's the Red Cross drive for those affected by bombings in the Middle East? Where's the call to action? Where are the donations?

You're not wrong, I made that exact point about the Boston bombing today, but it hit's a little harder when it's close to home and in a country where that sort of thing doesn't happen frequently.

#21 Posted by Sackmanjones (4762 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@artemesia said:

@artemesia said:

@jdh5153 said:

You're not wrong, I made that exact point about the Boston bombing today, but it hit's a little harder when it's close to home and in a country where that sort of thing doesn't happen frequently.

Exactly. Plus, I'm sure there are people across the world that don't give a flying fuck about the Boston bombing or this shooting currently in progress.

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6162 posts) -

Hey cheer up, an australian won the masters! Front page of wikipedia cracks me up sometimes.

#23 Posted by notdavid (842 posts) -

Fuck 2013.

#24 Posted by selbie (1969 posts) -

Words cannot express....

#25 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (620 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@artemesia said:

@artemesia said:

@jdh5153 said:

Do you guys actively care about people that die in foreign countries under any other circumstances other than when a tragedy on U.S soil happens? It's like you feel like you need to undermine everyone expressing sympathy because, hey, counterculture.

Actual question, when do you ever see people talking about it except as an argument as for why people SHOULDN'T be sad

#26 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

You mean to tell me the school that has unrealistically high entry requirements and even more unrealistic expectations of students, as well as suicide nets around the library (because getting a B- is totally reason enough to end it all) birthed a school shooter?

#27 Edited by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

@everyones_a_critic said:

You mean to tell me the school that has unrealistically high entry requirements and even more unrealistic expectations of students, as well as suicide nets around the library (because getting a B- is totally reason enough to end it all) birthed a school shooter?

Funny enough, no it didn't. There was a robbery down the street and it is thought that the robber gunned down a cop at the school. Get your facts straight before you mouth off about a place you know nothing about. You don't know shit about the culture there aside from hearsay and bullshit rumors. So keep your mouth shut before spouting your sanctimonious crap.

#28 Posted by Brendan (8168 posts) -

Dude. Foot in mouth.

#29 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

Damn these crazy people. I went to MIT and I always felt safe walking around campus at 3am because everyone was always working and studying. They are saying it was some robber. Still checking with friends.

#30 Edited by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@secondpersonshooter said:

Do you guys actively care about people that die in foreign countries under any other circumstances other than when a tragedy on U.S soil happens? It's like you feel like you need to undermine everyone expressing sympathy because, hey, counterculture.

Actual question, when do you ever see people talking about it except as an argument as for why people SHOULDN'T be sad

"I don't hear anyone talk about it therefore nobody talks about it". Anyways, this is bad news. I read somewhere that a 7-11 near the campus got held up, so this might be related to that. I'm not positive though, has anyone else heard the same thing?

#31 Posted by Daveyo520 (7008 posts) -

Sadly the police officer who was shot has passed away.

#32 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Damn these crazy people. I went to MIT and I always felt safe walking around campus at 3am because everyone was always working and studying. They are saying it was some robber. Still checking with friends.

Just saw your comment, I heard the same. It's really shitty it happened, but I'm glad that it hasn't turned into a 'mass school shooting'.

#33 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Same. Hell, I would walk across the Harvard bridge at 3 and 4 am some days and feel totally safe. This has got to be just horrifying for the students there now. I got into contact with my fraternity and my friends that live on campus and they are all fine, but I still worry about them.

#34 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

Fuck.

I hope that no one gets hurt.

At least one cop has been killed.

#35 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

@neoepoch said:

@everyones_a_critic said:

Funny enough, no it didn't. There was a robbery down the street and it is thought that the robber gunned down a cop at the school. Get your facts straight before you mouth off about a place you know nothing about. You don't know shit about the culture there aside from hearsay and bullshit rumors. So keep your mouth shut before spouting your sanctimonious crap.

Sooooooo shouldn't you berate the OP as well for branding this a school shooting rather than a robber shooting a cop in the vicinity of the campus....?

#36 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Man this week has given us way too much bad news, I hope everything is okay...

#37 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Holy poo, police scanner just said they have explosives, some type of grenades. Shots fired.

#38 Edited by Daveyo520 (7008 posts) -

Right now there are explosions and shots fired in Watertown, next to Cambridge.

#39 Edited by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

Right now there are explosions and shots fired in Watertown, next to Cambridge.

Is this related to the MIT shooting? Are there casualties?

#40 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

If anybody wants to feel positive about humanity, follow @AndrewWK on Twitter. That dude competes with Brad Muir for being upbeat all the goddamn time.

#41 Edited by Daveyo520 (7008 posts) -
#42 Posted by ripelivejam (4904 posts) -

can next week just be about cute puppies and kittens please?

#43 Edited by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

CNN has picked up the local affiliate's feed.

#44 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Second suspect possibly still on the loose.

#45 Edited by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@everyones_a_critic: He didn't call it a school shooting. Stop trying to dig yourself out of the hole.

#46 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

@greggd said:

@everyones_a_critic: He didn't call it a school shooting. Stop trying to dig yourself out of the hole.

Thing is it's not really a hole. It's an internet thread that can be forgotten about just as quickly as a passing excerpt from a street conversation. I have little to lose here by stating my opinion. Whatever.

#47 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -
#48 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -
#49 Edited by TheHT (11829 posts) -

this shit is insane.

#50 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@artemesia said:

@artemesia said:

@jdh5153 said:

I've been seeing posts like this on different sites since Monday. As insensitive as it sounds, sadly bad events are an awful reality on some places on earth. This isn't meant to lessen the degree of human loss and suffering, but stuff like this isn't a part of daily life in a developed, first world country. It isn't just because it is Americans, you'd expect the same degree out outcry if there was a bombing in England or France.