Modern Art

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RetroIce4

Can somebody tell me what the hell modern art is? I went to this modern art museum and it was so weird. It was a naked lady with a dog house on her head walking into a wall. It was like a acid trip and none of it made sense. Am I the only one that is completely lost?!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

I believe the talents of Leonardo Da Vinci and the rest of the Renaissance era is just non existent today. Instead, we have adapted to be more creative than technically excellent at art.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

A lot of artists are trying to act like great abstact visionaries, like Dali, but they just end up painting random shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

RetroIce4 said:
" It was a naked lady with a dog house on her head walking into a wall.
You know whats funny, those artists get paid a fuck load to make stupid sculptures like that, and they say it has some kind of deep meaning behind it....yeah maybe to them but to someone just looking it looks stupid as hell.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RetroIce4
Bucketdeth said:
"RetroIce4 said:
You know whats funny, those artists get paid a fuck load to make stupid sculptures like that, and they say it has some kind of deep meaning behind it....yeah maybe to them but to someone just looking it looks stupid as hell."
I know. It was the museum of modern art in New York(but the one I talked about above is somewhere else) and there was a picture of paint splashed all over the canvas for 30k. I was like WTF!?! and people actually buy it.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24
RetroIce4 said:
"Bucketdeth said:
"RetroIce4 said:
You know whats funny, those artists get paid a fuck load to make stupid sculptures like that, and they say it has some kind of deep meaning behind it....yeah maybe to them but to someone just looking it looks stupid as hell."
I know. It was the museum of modern art in New York(but the one I talked about above is somewhere else) and there was a picture of paint splashed all over the canvas for 30k. I was like WTF!?! and people actually buy it."
But don't you see the hidden meanings! It's deep man!
wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By wrecks

"Modern Art is a term that refers to artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s through the 1970s, and denotes the style and philosophy of the art produced during that era.The term is usually associated with art in which the traditions of the past have been thrown aside in a spirit of experimentation.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RetroIce4
RHCPfan24 said:
"RetroIce4 said:
"Bucketdeth said:
"RetroIce4 said:
I know. It was the museum of modern art in New York(but the one I talked about above is somewhere else) and there was a picture of paint splashed all over the canvas for 30k. I was like WTF!?! and people actually buy it."
But don't you see the hidden meanings! It's deep man!"
Splatters of paint don't have meaning or you wouldn't find it.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By super_machine

Because there is no objective narrative in modern art, the act of experiencing the work defines a unique subjective narrative for every viewer. pre-modern art forced a common narrative through theme and story. Your experience as a viewer, and reaction to that modern art piece is exactly what the piece was all about.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Gizmo

I went to the Tate Modern in London, some of the worst art I have ever seen there.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Modern art is bullshit. That's all you really need to know.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
Arkthemaniac said:
"A lot of artists are trying to act like great abstact visionaries, like Dali, but they just end up painting random shit."
I agree 100%. Dali was great because he was unbelievably creative but he also had the technical skills to paint things like the Mona Lisa. Likewise, M. C. Escher was a master of illusions and the abstract but basically every other modern artist (especially Picasso) seem like they have no talent or just put together random shit and wait for other people to find non-existent meaning in them then go along with it.
AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlwaysCrashing
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"A lot of artists are trying to act like great abstact visionaries, like Dali, but they just end up painting random shit."
I agree 100%. Dali was great because he was unbelievably creative but he also had the technical skills to paint things like the Mona Lisa. Likewise, M. C. Escher was a master of illusions and the abstract but basically every other modern artist (especially Picasso) seem like they have no talent or just put together random shit and wait for other people to find non-existent meaning in them then go along with it."
Picasso could paint better than Dali. Check out the paintings he did as a teen. Picasso's art wasn't random, on a superficial level it was about what we see, and how we interpret it. You see a face not as you see it in reality, but as an interpretation by a mind, for instance. In a way Picasso presents more in his cubist stuff than you would see in a photograph, an actual interpretation of subjects and ideas. Dali and Escher painted magic eye pictures.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By brukaoru
RetroIce4 said:
"I know. It was the museum of modern art in New York(but the one I talked about above is somewhere else) and there was a picture of paint splashed all over the canvas for 30k. I was like WTF!?! and people actually buy it."
Those kind of paintings going for so much money really get on my nerves, especially when other works are disregarded and never get the recognition they deserve.
fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By fraser
AlwaysCrashing said:
"Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
I agree 100%. Dali was great because he was unbelievably creative but he also had the technical skills to paint things like the Mona Lisa. Likewise, M. C. Escher was a master of illusions and the abstract but basically every other modern artist (especially Picasso) seem like they have no talent or just put together random shit and wait for other people to find non-existent meaning in them then go along with it."
Picasso could paint better than Dali. Check out the paintings he did as a teen. Picasso's art wasn't random, on a superficial level it was about what we see, and how we interpret it. You see a face not as you see it in reality, but as an interpretation by a mind, for instance. In a way Picasso presents more in his cubist stuff than you would see in a photograph, an actual interpretation of subjects and ideas. Dali and Escher painted magic eye pictures."
Yeh i don't think it's really fair to compare Picasso and Dali. Picasso was more interested with visual perception and had quite a culturally diverse set of influences, whereas Dali was trying to paint the subconscious (sp?).

I think art of late is getting into a strange place, i'm really no expert, but now that we're in a post-modernist time where everything has kinda been "done before", i feel the only place art can have (as something other than decorative) is if it takes the form of a reaction against something. As we're pretty privilidged in the western world there isn't a WHOLE lot to react against, especially with the rise in politically correctness and all that jazz.
Art's still strong in places where they have something to react against, like China for example, there was  an awesome program on tv the other night about art in a post Mao China.

Well that ended up being longer and less interesting than i thought.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Rowr

Its like. ART MAN WOW.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
fraser said:
"AlwaysCrashing said:
"Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
Picasso could paint better than Dali. Check out the paintings he did as a teen. Picasso's art wasn't random, on a superficial level it was about what we see, and how we interpret it. You see a face not as you see it in reality, but as an interpretation by a mind, for instance. In a way Picasso presents more in his cubist stuff than you would see in a photograph, an actual interpretation of subjects and ideas. Dali and Escher painted magic eye pictures."
Yeh i don't think it's really fair to compare Picasso and Dali. Picasso was more interested with visual perception and had quite a culturally diverse set of influences, whereas Dali was trying to paint the subconscious (sp?).

I think art of late is getting into a strange place, i'm really no expert, but now that we're in a post-modernist time where everything has kinda been "done before", i feel the only place art can have (as something other than decorative) is if it takes the form of a reaction against something. As we're pretty privilidged in the western world there isn't a WHOLE lot to react against, especially with the rise in politically correctness and all that jazz.
Art's still strong in places where they have something to react against, like China for example, there was  an awesome program on tv the other night about art in a post Mao China.

Well that ended up being longer and less interesting than i thought."
I suppose I do agree to an extent since even Dali himself said that he and Picasso were totally different but I compare them simply as modern artists and my own appeal not by art style (since Picasso had so many). When I look at something by Picasso I don't see anything like what AlwaysCrashing would describe. When I look at Dali's art I would immediately start racing through different emotions and thoughts that would match it and assigning my own interpretations it just seemed like it all was much more tantalizing to the mind. Picasso's work just always seemed so chaotic (with the exception of his Blue and Rose Periods) but I'm wasn't really sure about interpretation of his art at all to be honest. Never gave him a chance since he didn't appeal to me. I suppose that Picasso was much more flexible than Dali since he went through so many different art style while Dali just stuck with surrealism. But again, me and Picasso, not so much. Thanks for shedding light on how to interpret his art though. I lost track of what I was thinking of and I think I'm just rambling on now but whatever. On a completely different note: Hitler was a pretty good artist too, I think he could have at least have been an architect.