• 99 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Ubergeist (416 posts) -
Montauk Island Creature







Something strange has washed ashore at Montauk Island, New York.

“This is an actual monster, some sort of rodent-like creature with a dinosaur beak. A tipster says that there is ‘a government animal testing facility very close by in Long Island,’” says Gawker in a posting for Tuesday, July 29, 2008.

Comments like “That’s a turtle, without its shell,” make no sense because of the teeth. Some fossil turtles had teeth, but no modern turtles possess real teeth.

What is this animal?

Why can’t people put some sort of size reference object in these mystery photos? How big is this thing?

For now, it remains the “Montauk Monster.”




#2 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

Wtf is that?

#3 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

Somebody call Mulder and Scully.

#4 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1064 posts) -

Naked Tasmanian Devil?!
Nope.
Naked Hyena?!
Nope.
Naked Turtle???
Definitely not.

Verdict = Unsolved.

#5 Posted by Ultimate_pwr_rngr (774 posts) -

Looks like a dog:|

#6 Posted by stAtic (1638 posts) -

Is it giving the finger? o_O

#7 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -
stAtic said:
"Is it giving the finger? o_O
"
Yes, one more reason not to take it as a threat to all mankind >__>
#8 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -

um.......


Its new jersey .....

Why is this news?

#9 Posted by bekern (563 posts) -
Guiltyspark said:
"um.......


Its new jersey .....

Why is this news?"
montauk=long island which=new york ......????
#10 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -
Oriental_Jams said:
"stAtic said:
"Is it giving the finger? o_O
"
Yes, one more reason not to take it as a threat to all mankind >__>
"

Hehehe.

Monster: "AYEH. YOOU FOUND ME YA BASTARDS". 
#11 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -
bekern said:
"Guiltyspark said:
"um.......


Its new jersey .....

Why is this news?"
montauk=long island which=new york ......????
"
it came from new jersey :|
#12 Posted by semicolon1twlev2 (894 posts) -

Wow.  What the hell is that?

#13 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -

Of course this could well be the beginning of a plague of rude, nude otter-chickens.

#14 Posted by MB (12408 posts) -

Probably a baby of a known species of animal that had birth defects or some other type of mutation or disease.  There are human babies born that you would swear came out of a Hollywood FX studio or the movie Aliens.

Moderator
#15 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1064 posts) -
Oriental_Jams said:
"Of course this could well be the beginning of a plague of rude, nude otter-chickens.
"
*shudders*
#16 Posted by davecuk (158 posts) -

Well the source for the story seems to be some blog with no reputable news sites carrying the story, so I'm calling a hoax.

#17 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -
davecuk said:
"Well the source for the story seems to be some blog with no reputable news sites carrying the story, so I'm calling a hoax.
"

Like the Piltdown Man?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piltdown_Man 
#18 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

Dude I live on Long Island and I havn't heard a thing about this.

#19 Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -

it kinda looks like the chupacabra

#20 Posted by anthj (39 posts) -

That is frickin' sweet, dude.

#21 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

Cloverfield?!

#22 Posted by MOSES (217 posts) -
Oriental_Jams said:
"Of course this could well be the beginning of a plague of rude, nude otter-chickens.
"

*Takes out knife and fork*

Did somebody say chicken,
#23 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

What the hell?

#24 Posted by WhySoSerious (646 posts) -

Looks like a dog that gave birth prematurely to me.

#25 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -

It's obviously fake...

#26 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

What the fuck is that?

#27 Posted by Bnfbnggbfg (302 posts) -
MisterSpiffy said:
"It's obviously fake...
"
How so?
#28 Posted by Hughes (398 posts) -

That's one gross-looking animal.

#29 Posted by blizzvalve (128 posts) -
Bnfbnggbfg said:
"MisterSpiffy said:
"It's obviously fake...
"
How so?
"

It has the bottom of a chicken and a body of a dog with a bird's beak and flubbers for arms. I call a Photoshop
#30 Posted by EndlessMike (516 posts) -

If this was reported anywhere but Gawker I might take notice.

#31 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

so, the Dodo is not extinct after all.
this could well be a young dodo

#32 Posted by Bnfbnggbfg (302 posts) -
blizzvalve said:
"Bnfbnggbfg said:
"MisterSpiffy said:
"It's obviously fake...
"
How so?
"

It has the bottom of a chicken and a body of a dog with a bird's beak and flubbers for arms. I call a Photoshop"
Then it is the world's best shop ever. EVER. There is no discrepancy between the parts and they are all perfectly positioned and lit.
#33 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -

I want one!

#34 Edited by Absurd (2934 posts) -
#35 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

It's not a beak. It's just that the skin has rotted from the front of it's mouth.

#36 Posted by henjin (829 posts) -

Aaaaahhhh here comes the cover ups!!

#37 Edited by serbsta (1867 posts) -

This animal is the result of human/animal embryo experimentation.

#38 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

The better question is, what's around is arm and how did it get there?

#39 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

It can't be a turtle since i thought they were physically connected to their shells, as in if you tried to remove the sheel you'd be ripping out its back aswell?

Whatever the beasty is it sure is ugly.

#40 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -

Wtf... possibly manbearpigs brother?

#41 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
The close proximity of the Plum Island facility and the site of the Montauk Monster’s discovery had fueled speculation that the Monster of Montauk is property of the USDA and may have been an experiment gone wrong.

Dr. Larry Barrett, Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) Director, responded to a flood of media inquiries on the Montauk Monster by issuing the following statement:
“It is impossible to accurately identify the species of animal from the photo. There is no scale from which to judge its size. Additionally, when a body has had prolonged exposure to water and predators, it can be altered or appear different from its normal form. If we had the actual body, we could tell you what it is; however, from viewing a canine tooth in the picture, we could guess it may be a cat or raccoon. I can state categorically that it is not associated with the work performed at Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC). PIADC serves as the nation’s first line of defense against foreign animal diseases of livestock by identifying such diseases through diagnostic testing and by developing vaccines to protect livestock from those diseases.”

“Animal Planet” wildlife expert Jeff Corwin is saying that we’re all suckers.

“What you think is a beak is actually the canine teeth,” Corwin told Bill Hemmer and Megyn Kelly. “What we have is an incredibly rare” — dramatic pause — “raccoon.”
http://stupidcelebrities.net/2008/07/30/montauk-monster-what-the-hell-creature-washed-up-on-long-island/

My guess is that it's an experiment that went wrong and got loose. I'll just add this to the list of government conspiracies...


#42 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

Possibly.. Aliens

#43 Posted by Bnfbnggbfg (302 posts) -
brukaoru said:
"
The close proximity of the Plum Island facility and the site of the Montauk Monster’s discovery had fueled speculation that the Monster of Montauk is property of the USDA and may have been an experiment gone wrong.

Dr. Larry Barrett, Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) Director, responded to a flood of media inquiries on the Montauk Monster by issuing the following statement:
“It is impossible to accurately identify the species of animal from the photo. There is no scale from which to judge its size. Additionally, when a body has had prolonged exposure to water and predators, it can be altered or appear different from its normal form. If we had the actual body, we could tell you what it is; however, from viewing a canine tooth in the picture, we could guess it may be a cat or raccoon. I can state categorically that it is not associated with the work performed at Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC). PIADC serves as the nation’s first line of defense against foreign animal diseases of livestock by identifying such diseases through diagnostic testing and by developing vaccines to protect livestock from those diseases.”

“Animal Planet” wildlife expert Jeff Corwin is saying that we’re all suckers.

“What you think is a beak is actually the canine teeth,” Corwin told Bill Hemmer and Megyn Kelly. “What we have is an incredibly rare” — dramatic pause — “raccoon.”
http://stupidcelebrities.net/2008/07/30/montauk-monster-what-the-hell-creature-washed-up-on-long-island/

My guess is that it's an experiment that went wrong and got loose. I'll just add this to the list of government conspiracies...


"
I cant figure a practical use for one of those thingies though, so an experiment would make no real sense. However, a cover up of an unidentified species is more believable.
#44 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

I'm going to take a wild guess and thing Satyricon the band made this up..

#45 Posted by Bnfbnggbfg (302 posts) -
Aarny said:
"I'm going to take a wild guess and thing Satyricon the band made this up.."
I hope that has some backing up behind it to support your opinion.
#46 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -
Bnfbnggbfg said:
"Aarny said:
"I'm going to take a wild guess and thing Satyricon the band made this up.."
I hope that has some backing up behind it to support your opinion.
"

I have backing..
#47 Posted by Batman (1016 posts) -

Looks like a naked dog with a beak to me.

#48 Posted by infect999 (355 posts) -
Homer said:
"Wtf... possibly manbearpigs brother?"

half dog, half chicken, half bird of prey?
#49 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

It's a jellyfish.

#50 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

Eww.