#1 Posted by Tonbergum (16 posts) -

Whenever you are talking to someone you want to impress and you mention your video gaming which do you think is more mature? Retro gaming - Anything PS2 and older, or Now Gaming, current consoles.

For me I guess it depends. For non-gaming people I guess I normally say sports games because then it seems less weird but for younger girls like hipsters saying retro gaming is always the way. What about you guys?

#2 Edited by RPGee (759 posts) -

The definition of maturity is kind of nebulous. Both categories have their ups and downs.

For instance, both of your categories produced some form of Duke Nukem.

#3 Edited by TruthTellah (8576 posts) -

If you're trying to look "mature" with your gaming choice, I suppose you can't really go wrong with retro games from the 80s, as that certainly suggests that you're either older or a hipster.

Though, you shouldn't need to change your gaming habits or tout them to impress anyone. That is in itself immature.

#4 Posted by Winternet (8008 posts) -

but for younger girls like hipsters saying retro gaming is always the way.

Word, son!

#5 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

I don't think anyone would be impressed by the apparent maturity of the games I play. This here applies when talking to anyone though: when in doubt, go for obscure. If they know what you're talking about then that's probably great! If not, then you're the gaming expert. Win-win

Did you know that both of your recent threads mention impressing hipster girls. Just throwing that out there.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

Both eras are full of both kinds of games. I think that gaming as a whole has matured some these days, but the days of yore had some really good entries.

It also really depends on your definition of "mature". Some people would call Duke Nukem mature based on the fact that it's full of blood and nudity (these people are incorrect). Some people might think that Journey is mature. Others would look for more literary maturity, like may be found in the Bioshocks or the Bastions of the world. Others might look into how the industry works. Or maybe how game mechanics themselves have improved and how developers might make the story bits and the game parts work together.

#7 Edited by Jeust (10487 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

Though, you shouldn't need to change your gaming habits or tout them to impress anyone. That is in itself immature.

Real maturity is in being sincere about one's tastes. You shouldn't tailor yourself to other people. First because unless he/she mentions what he/she likes it is a shot in the dark, and second because you can't tailor your tastes, and sooner or later, if you're in contact with that person for a while you will possibly screw up your lie. So be true.

Neither is more mature. I think maturity takes in account more the games than the period. You can sound old talking about retro gaming, and younger talking about today's gaming, but that in itself it's just a first impression. When you talk about games and what you like about them then you really show your maturity.