• 53 results
#1 Edited by DarthOrange (3857 posts) -

What do you guys think are some of the most impactful moments in gaming to you guys? Be mindful of spoilers, please put up spoiler warnings after you name the game.

Heavy Rain

There are two moments from Heavy Rain that really stood out to me on my first play through, the first being when playing as Norman and you visit the house of the Jesus freak. When the guy reached for his pocket I shot on instinct to protect my partner, only to have it be a cross. I felt like crap, and it didn't help that Carter is just whatever about the whole thing.

The other is when the part where the drug dealer begs for his life and explains that he has kids, only for me to still blow his brains out and get the next clue. And the whole time you are in the children's room. I doubt that Ethan Mars actually called the cops to report this, so the logical conclusion would be that his wife and kids were going to go home to find their husband/dad with his brain on the carpet.

Resistance 3

Things were finally starting to go well when suddenly the train gets attacked . It seems like you are about to get killed when suddenly Malikov save you, and all seems well. but then......

inFamous 2

There are also two moments that really stood out to me in inFamous 2. The first is when Zeke and Cole just hang out, drinking and watching a western. The thing that made this so heavy was how Zeke betrays you in the first inFamous, and how in the first half of the second game thing are always awkward between the two. After this moment, you finally get the sense that things are finally cool between them.

That scene makes the evil ending that much more powerful. Best ending ever in a game, in my opinion.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

How about Kiel's death in Radiant Historia, and how it absolutely destroys Stocke? Or the end of Fragile Dreams, when we find out what the deal with Shin is?

#3 Edited by TyCobb (1960 posts) -
#4 Posted by LazyChan (13 posts) -

An iconic one is when Aeris died in FF VII. Arguably one of the most impactful moments of gaming for its time. Never before has such an important character whom the player was invested in died so abruptly. I was taken aback when it happened, it really came out of nowhere.

#5 Posted by wrecks (2230 posts) -

That last scene with John Marston in Red Dead Redemtion.. So damn good.

#6 Posted by LikeaSsur (1507 posts) -

The 2nd playthrough of Nier. You all know what I'm talking about. The tears man, they rolled on through.

#7 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

Despite how controversial certain aspects of it were, Mass Effect 3 definitely had a lot of positive impact for me at moments considering how invested I was into the story and its universe.

A really touching moment came after meeting the conditions to have the Geth and Quarians reconcile and make peace. Between Legion's sacrifice and the Geth Prime talking real estate with everyone like it was no big deal, that moment was what made Mass Effect 3 especially satisfying for me. Even despite the amount of controversy generated by the ending, it had a bunch of watershed moments like that which made it a great experience for me.
#9 Posted by wrecks (2230 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB: I understand why you felt that way but I felt the exact opposite. I'm not a huge fan of the happy ending though, I like things either more ambiguous or straight up gut punchers.

#10 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB said:

Do you guys really need to post spoiler warnings in a thread with "SPOILERS" in the title? : p

I think it's for good measure considering the breadth of games being covered, there's definitely going to be some games people haven't played yet and don't want to read spoilers for while reading on others they have experienced and sharing their own.

Now that I think about it, I remember the end of Gears of War 3 being awesome too -- especially since the Bombcast actually called Marcus taking off his bandana way beforehand. Oh, and the other great thing was that Carmine fake-out -- I was so glad they kept Clay alive!

#11 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -
#12 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

The 2nd playthrough of Nier. You all know what I'm talking about. The tears man, they rolled on through.

yup.

Also mother 3 final boss, holy shit

Claus fired an intense bolt of lightning!

#13 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

When james realize he killed his wife, and that pyramid head was created from james. Because he wanted something to punish him for murdering his own wife. Thinking about it I think all the creatures was a manifestation of james imagination.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (24256 posts) -
#15 Edited by Jimi (1126 posts) -

The final puzzle in the true ending of 999: 9 persons 9 hours 9 doors. The moment of realisation that happened was one of the best twists I have experienced in games.

When you flip the DS upside down to save Akane in the past. The whole game being a time paradox leading up to that moment.
#16 Edited by glyn (382 posts) -

Indigo Prophecy - When your ex girlfriend Tiffany comes to your house. I actually got rejected by her which made me feel really sad, just like the character. His life was getting more and more depressed. Then I played it again and the best music / scene happens. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EafNYw7US4U

Max Payne 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhiywxtujXs Mona Sax's Playhouse

Halo CE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMngZquE5TI - Actually that game had tonnes of fantastic moments.

Dragon Age - When you first enter the grey warden camp, the atmosphere is cool.

Bioshock also had some great moments. Like the near ending twist. And the little sister choices.

#17 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: Killing Shetland

#18 Posted by PSNgamesun (406 posts) -

ME3- when thane dies its fucking unbelievable; i had to stop playing for a couple of mins.

ME3- when capt.Anderson dies. when my shepard and him were staring at space it just felt real to me seriously that part almost made me cry lol.

KOTOR-The twist thats all I have to say.

I could go on and on but these 3 are a few that pop up right now.

#19 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -

@falserelic said:

When james realize he killed his wife, and that pyramid head was created from james. Because he wanted something to punish him for murdering his own wife. Thinking about it I think all the creatures was a manifestation of james imagination.

When James hit the water in one of the endings it was heartbreaking for me. I could have done the same thing if I was in his shoes.

And in the Darkness,

seeing Jenny die, when Jonh Estacado was powerless to stop it. Loosing all purpose was just shattering. Where and what else was the protagonist of the game going to do?! The next level was almost as surprising!

In Jade Empire,

discovering that the real foe was Master Li, or shall I say Sun Li, and dying was unexpected. Also the next level was awesome!
#20 Posted by supermonkey122 (814 posts) -

This reminded me how awesome Infamous 2 was.

Anyway, here's my pick from Heavy Rain, it makes such an impact without even saying a word.

#21 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

Having recently played the Prince of Persia trilogy, this part stood out.

#22 Edited by glyn (382 posts) -

My first ever multiplayer game over Xbox Live. A motogp demo with like 16 other racers. Then I played Halo 2 online...

#23 Posted by roughneck117 (190 posts) -

Mass Effect 1: After doing the beginning mission in the Citadel, when youre given the SPECTER status. Also, when you are given control of the Normandy, and you realise, HOLY SHIT!!! You can go where ever you want to. Fucking awesome moments.

Mass Effect 3: A lot of good moments, but when you walk into Garrus and Tali before doing the final batch of missions, that made the most impact for me, and thats saying something considering ME3 had a lot of good moments.

#24 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
  • The ending of Snake Eater.
  • Choosing Playboy X over Dwayne in GTA IV and then realizing I made the wrong decision.
  • Spacebitch Ashley murdering Wrex in my first playthrough of Mass Effect 1.
  • The death of John Marston in Red Dead Redemption.
  • The microwave hallway part and the scene after towards the end of MGS4.
  • The conclusion of the Geth-Quarian war in Mass Effect 3. "Does this unit have a soul?" :(
  • Also, in ME3 when Garrus says goodbye to Shepard.
  • Getting through the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2 completely unscathed my first time through. That felt epic and triumphant in ways other games wish they could be.
#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Soapy86:

You may wish to tell people what games are behind those spoilers, just so people like me aren't tempted to highlight the crap out of them.

#26 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Done. Though I don't think anyone has the right to bitch when they willingly come into a thread marked with a bigass "SPOILERS" right there in the title, and then willingly choose to highlight spoilers. That wasn't directed at you, I just find people's ridiculous oversensitivity to spoilers to be very annoying. Especially in situations like this when they should know better.

#27 Edited by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -

BioShock

'Would You Kindly' and the reveal of Atlas's true identity.

Half Life 2: Episode Two

Mass Effect 3

Talking to all your squad mates before the final battle sequence and realising that this really is the end for Commander Shephard and co.

Bonus

Bulletstorm: The Death of Waggleton P. Tallylicker
#28 Edited by fisher81 (535 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption

When the camera pans over John's son (can't recall his name) standing over the grave of his parents with that song playing, dude. Also, Deadman's Gun over the credits was pretty fucking depressing.

Mass Effect 3

Surprised no one's mentioned Mordin's death. "Would've liked to run tests on sea shells."

Gears of War 3

Fucking Dom dude. And with Mad World playing in the background? Oh, fuck you Epic.

Fallout 3

After spending the entire game up to that point searching for your father, the sole reason you left the safety of the vault in the first place, he dies.

I'm sure there are more, but I can only think of those four.

#29 Posted by xSuperGirl (20 posts) -

Heavy Rain....when you find out the REAL Origami killer. Such an epic game.

#30 Posted by Demoskinos (14718 posts) -

In terms of just pure FUN moments one of my favorites this year was the final level of Lollipop Chainsaw. Running down the street to the last boss while Dragonforce's "Heroes of our time" blaring in the background. Fucking awesome.

#31 Posted by Pie (7073 posts) -

A whole bunch of MGS3 and MGS4. I just wish a certain trigger had been pulled though....

#32 Posted by Milkman (16613 posts) -

@fisher81 said:

Mass Effect 3

Surprised no one's mentioned Mordin's death. "Would've liked to run tests on sea shells."

I thought Mass Effect 3 was mostly crap but this was the one moment in the game that I thought was done absolutely perfectly.

#33 Posted by Yummylee (21466 posts) -

The Walking Dead Episode 3... pretty much all of it really.

#34 Edited by JTB123 (1046 posts) -
#35 Posted by JasonR86 (9649 posts) -

Mario 2 when you attempt to pull up a turnip and instead a fucking rocket-ship is pulled up that you ride.

#36 Posted by hanktherapper (376 posts) -

There are two moments in Half Life 2: Episode 2 that got me.

When dog took down the strider and Eli's death.

Others have mentioned the one in Red Dead Redemption but for me it was playing as a teenage Jack and avenging John's death.

I'm not going to block this one from Prey because it isn't a story spoiler but seeing that little girl kill the little boy bothered me.

#37 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1758 posts) -

There have only been two moments in games that have left a lasting emotional impact in me, Curly's death in Cave Story and Konrad's letter to his son in Spec Ops: The Line.

#38 Posted by Heltom92 (707 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Oh man really glad you said that part from Resistance 3, it was so shocking and unexpected. That game was really great, one of my favorites from last year.

#39 Edited by Spoonman671 (4587 posts) -
Vagrant Story
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 
Demon's Souls
Resistance 2
Journey was pretty cool too.
#40 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

Thanes death in Mass Effect 3. The writing in that scene, where Koliat reprises a passages from the Drell bible. Excellent scene, some of the best writing I have ever seen in a game.

#41 Edited by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Dammit you made me want to play InFamous 2 again -_-

on topic.

Sgt Johnson dying in halo 3 and Marcus Fenix's dad dying.

EDIT: also mordin's death in ME3, and the end of RDR

EDIT2:@FlamingHobo said:

bonus:

The most impactful moment in all video game history.

#42 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1862 posts) -

Pretty much everything OP said, and Red Dead's final hour, which many people have already brought up.

Also, in The Darkness II:

when you finally reach Jenny, give her a hug, and have to actually hit a button to let her go. Pretty heartbreaking stuff, even if the moments immediately after kind of ruin it. And of course The Darkness 1 bears mentioning too, with the whole Jenny death scene.

And in Bioshock:

when you finally confront and ultimately kill Andrew Ryan. One of the most powerful, game-changing, "oh shit" moments I've ever had in a game.

And finally, in The Walking Dead Episode 3:

I don't know how it happened for you guys, or if there is any other way for this to happen, but when Carly was shot in cold blood I was just shocked. Probably not as impactful as the previously mentioned moments, but come on, I was trying to hit that!
#43 Posted by biggiedubs (493 posts) -
#44 Posted by Ghostiet (5242 posts) -
@LikeaSsur said:

Ending D. One of the most profound uses of the medium since MGS2. Pure fucking brilliance.
#45 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

Having to push the square button myself at the end of MGS3

#46 Posted by oldenglishC (943 posts) -

When Alys died in Phantasy Star IV. That was way too heavy for my tween, never seen a death in video games before, self.

#47 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I thought Dom dying in Gears 3 was pretty good.

He was one of the main characters during 3 games, and i like how you don't see a scene with the team mates crying over his body. In fact you don't even see his body it's just an explosion and they move on which i thought was pretty great.

#48 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Mass effect 2. End run. That is all

Mass effect 3. Get to the beam. That is all.

#49 Posted by probablytuna (3597 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Why did you shoot Christian Bale! You monster! Actually I did as well. And yeah, that was a pretty fucked up moment. I guess it was because I knew going into the game that the four playable characters can die permanently so whenever there was something that might threaten their lives, I kinda took the initiative.

#50 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -