• 72 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Aegon (5706 posts) -

What are some books that have amazing intense moments? Recently I can think of Wise Man's Fear. There were some parts that were just...wow. The Song of Ice and Fire series has a bunch of these moments all over the place.   

#2 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

I think the most intense moment I've read in a book is... in Under the Dome by Stephen King; I don't wanna spoil it but damn that part at the end

#3 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -
#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

How about the part in The Inferno where Dante tells the damned to eat shit, and Virgil says, "Well done on telling the damned to eat shit!"? (This is what happens immediately after you leave a thread.)

#5 Edited by big_jon (5743 posts) -

The ones with the most words are pretty intense!

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@H2Oyea said:

What are some books that have amazing intense moments? Recently I can think of Wise Man's Fear. There were some parts that were just...wow. The Song of Ice and Fire series has a bunch of these moments all over the place.

I agree with you on Wise Man's Fear. There were a few dull moments in the book, but it was still a pretty solid read. It's a shame that there are only three books in the series.

#7 Posted by cosi83 (401 posts) -

William Vollmann Rising Up and Rising Down

#8 Posted by StrainedEyes (1326 posts) -

American Psycho gets pretty intense.

#9 Edited by Okari (168 posts) -

Intensity

#10 Posted by Aegon (5706 posts) -
@big_jon said:

You ones with the most words are pretty intense!

Wha? 
#11 Posted by Hosstile17 (767 posts) -

The Road.

#12 Posted by SoledadBrother (38 posts) -

1984

#13 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

Blood Meridian, Life and Fate, Libra, The Man with the Golden Arm, A Farewell to Arms.

#14 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

The Black Company by Glenn Cook has a number of really intense moments, pretty much all of which see a hand full of very ordinary human mercenaries going up against unkillable supernatural horrors. It's basically a novel version of a survival-horror game in a number of parts, and the narrator, Croaker's descriptions of just how pant-shittingly terrified he is when in some of these situations really lends some weight to them. It's a great book.

#15 Posted by jking47 (1215 posts) -

Crime and Punishment was pretty damn intense

#16 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

The Shelob part in The Two Towers I remember being especially intense. Haven't read it in a while though.

#17 Posted by byterunner (314 posts) -

The Night Angel Trilogy has some pretty intense scenes in those books.

#18 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

I thought alot of the imagery in heart of darkness was pretty intense.

#19 Posted by SSully (4235 posts) -

Of Mice and Men gets intense very quickly. The last two pages of that book still break my heart everytime i read it.

#20 Posted by smitty86 (699 posts) -

Hop On Pop

#21 Posted by VIGGO123 (553 posts) -

I would recommend the Sigma books by James Rollins. Deals with many of the same themes as Dan Brown does, but with a bit more action and way better characters.

#22 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

There where some really intense parts of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

for an example,

when the missile defense system headed toward the ship and turned into a whale, then fell and went splat.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: Why the fuck did tell you how to use gifs.

#24 Posted by ch3burashka (5113 posts) -

There was a book I read once about a gay cop in LA in the 80's/90's, based on a true story. He was the best of the best of the best, but because he was gay his bosses and fellow cops gave him hella shit for being gay. The main thread is that there's some crazy murderer out there killing gay dudes (because he has homo tendencies himself, and hates that, therefore takes it out on gay prostitutes he picks up on 'Sunset Boulevard', or some other oft-mentioned locale) all violent-like. The book describes it in brutal detail, like when he rapes a gay dude with a broken broomstick, first with the polished end, then with the splintered end. In the end, the gay cop poses as a prostitute to catch the guy, gets kidnapped by the crazy dude, they have a struggle, and the gay cop manages to kill the crazy dude by tripping him into an abandoned coal mine where he'd dump the other gay murdered bodies (or something). It was called "The Other Side of the Badge", or the "Other Side of the Law" or something like that. I got it while doing community service at a book fair, and they said I could get a book for free. I gave it to a friend to read, and he freaked the fuck out; got really paranoid his parents would find it or something.

So yeah, that's probably the most intense book I've read.

#25 Edited by Anwar (883 posts) -
#26 Edited by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@H2Oyea:

Lolita and Paradise Lost are intense, but for entirely different reasons. Paradise Lost has a part where Satan births Sin from his head, has an incestuous relationship with her, which gives birth to Death, and then Death chases down Sin and rapes her; then, Sin is impregnated with a kennel of Cerberus dogs in her stomach. Fucked up shit.

Lolita has some intense moments, as well, but since they're tied to the story, I'd rather not mention them.

#27 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

There where some really intense parts of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

for an example,

when the missile defense system headed toward the ship and turned into a whale, then fell and went splat.

Amazingly. One of those characters is actually important to the story of the other books as well!

Also, for the most intense book of all time. Read Robert R MCcammons Swan Song. Hell, it starts off with nuclear war and it goes on from there. To people trying to stay alive and armies rising up to take over what remains of the now frozen and dying world. It is so damn intense man that the first fallout game had this book as an inspiration.

Hell, people compare it to the stand all the time. It is heavily debated on which one is better though. Personally, I find Swan Song to be the very best. It has it all. Also a amazingly epic ending.

I am dead serious, if this book ever gets a movie adaption, I will find the director and I will pull a Misery on his ass to prevent it from coming out.

I can see a video game or a comic book adaption of the story, but fuck no to a movie, it would just be butchered to hell since it has so much blood, guts, voilence, decapations, biting off of noses, people on fire, people freezing to death, shot to death, kids dying, animals that are heavily mutated and a sheer wall of awesomeness could NEVER be able to be put on film. It is that damn awesome.

#28 Posted by gamefreak9 (2372 posts) -

The Darwin economy! That first seal competitive example had me!

#29 Posted by stryker1121 (1527 posts) -

James's Ellroy's America Underground trilogy is filled w/ tense moments. The Ruins by Scott Smith does a great job of ratcheting up the tension, too, starting on the first page (the movie was the opposite...read the book, skip the movie). Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn is an excellent, disturbing book. Can't go wrong w/ the Ice and Fire series. I wouldn't necessarily recommend American Psycho to everyone, but it's certainly intense at times.

#30 Posted by DerekDanahy (877 posts) -

Johnny Got His Gun. It is 250 pages of intensity.

#31 Posted by stryker1121 (1527 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@Dagbiker said:

There where some really intense parts of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

for an example,

when the missile defense system headed toward the ship and turned into a whale, then fell and went splat.

Amazingly. One of those characters is actually important to the story of the other books as well!

Also, for the most intense book of all time. Read Robert R MCcammons Swan Song. Hell, it starts off with nuclear war and it goes on from there. To people trying to stay alive and armies rising up to take over what remains of the now frozen and dying world. It is so damn intense man that the first fallout game had this book as an inspiration.

Hell, people compare it to the stand all the time. It is heavily debated on which one is better though. Personally, I find Swan Song to be the very best. It has it all. Also a amazingly epic ending.

I am dead serious, if this book ever gets a movie adaption, I will find the director and I will pull a Misery on his ass to prevent it from coming out.

I can see a video game or a comic book adaption of the story, but fuck no to a movie, it would just be butchered to hell since it has so much blood, guts, voilence, decapations, biting off of noses, people on fire, people freezing to death, shot to death, kids dying, animals that are heavily mutated and a sheer wall of awesomeness could NEVER be able to be put on film. It is that damn awesome.

I read loads of McCammon back in the day. Ever read his novel about the werewolf guy who fought the Nazis? Swan Song was good, but I remember liking The Stand better.

#32 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Dagbiker said:

There where some really intense parts of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

for an example,

when the missile defense system headed toward the ship and turned into a whale, then fell and went splat.

Amazingly. One of those characters is actually important to the story of the other books as well!

Also, for the most intense book of all time. Read Robert R MCcammons Swan Song. Hell, it starts off with nuclear war and it goes on from there. To people trying to stay alive and armies rising up to take over what remains of the now frozen and dying world. It is so damn intense man that the first fallout game had this book as an inspiration.

Hell, people compare it to the stand all the time. It is heavily debated on which one is better though. Personally, I find Swan Song to be the very best. It has it all. Also a amazingly epic ending.

I am dead serious, if this book ever gets a movie adaption, I will find the director and I will pull a Misery on his ass to prevent it from coming out.

I can see a video game or a comic book adaption of the story, but fuck no to a movie, it would just be butchered to hell since it has so much blood, guts, voilence, decapations, biting off of noses, people on fire, people freezing to death, shot to death, kids dying, animals that are heavily mutated and a sheer wall of awesomeness could NEVER be able to be put on film. It is that damn awesome.

I read loads of McCammon back in the day. Ever read his novel about the werewolf guy who fought the Nazis? Swan Song was good, but I remember liking The Stand better.

Wait... he made a book about werewolfs... fighting nazis... dude... I need this book... NOW!

Also, yeah, the Swan Song VS The Stand debate is going to go on forever though. I do think Swan Song is better. However The Stand is still amazing. However I feel a nuclear war and the messages of Swan Song, along with the characters, were better than The Stand. IMO of course.

#33 Posted by big_jon (5743 posts) -

@H2Oyea said:

@big_jon said:

You ones with the most words are pretty intense!

Wha?

The ones*

#34 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Dracula. Like, you think you know what's gonna happen because it's Dracula, but yo. Shit gets fucked in that book.

#35 Posted by BaneFireLord (2952 posts) -

The Road was pretty intense. World War Z, too, particularly the part with the air force pilot stuck in the tree.

#36 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The Shining I remember being particularly intense in spots. Supposedly "IT" is insane too.

Anything by Hemingway, pretty much. He managed to make a story consisting of a conversation intense. Man was a genius.

#37 Posted by hanktherapper (379 posts) -

Misery by Stephen King. Everything Annie does to Paul in the novel is so much worse than the movie.

#38 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3067 posts) -

Blood Meridian and House of Leaves come to mind.

#39 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Shakespeare's Macbeth gets really fast pace toward the end.

#40 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

The entire Dark Tower series is filled with them, but special mentions go to

From book 1, The Gunslinger:

When Roland chooses to follow the man in black instead of saving Jake. Ice cold.

From book 2, The Drawing of The Three:

Eddie's deal with the gangster types, including Roland's draw with the bodyguard guy.

From book 3, The Waste Lands:

When Jake's trekking around inside that fucked up haunted house, holy shit. Stephen King frightens me.

From book 7, The Dark Tower:

Every single goddamn time one of the core players died. When Mordin attacks Roland in his sleep is a highlight. Similarly, the extended "ending". I didn't want to read a book for a few weeks after that.

Also, I've only read Farewell, My Lovely and The Long Goodbye, but the Raymond Chandler is really good at writing a climax.

@VIGGO123 said:

I would recommend the Sigma books by James Rollins. Deals with many of the same themes as Dan Brown does, but with a bit more action and way better characters.

I've read many of James Rollins books and I agree. They get pretty crazy and action packed near the end.

@ShadowConqueror said:

House of Leaves come to mind.

Can't believe I forgot about that one. When stuff starts getting really crazy, it gets really crazy. The letters at the end, though a little over the top, are a bit chilling too.

#41 Posted by MostlyBearded (191 posts) -

@SSully said:

Of Mice and Men gets intense very quickly. The last two pages of that book still break my heart everytime i read it.

That ending was such a great finish.

#42 Posted by SSully (4235 posts) -

@MostlyBearded said:

@SSully said:

Of Mice and Men gets intense very quickly. The last two pages of that book still break my heart everytime i read it.

That ending was such a great finish.

Seriously. I must have read it about six times so far in my life and I choke up every time.

#43 Edited by TheOther (77 posts) -

George R. R. Martin's A Storm of Swords (the 3rd book in the Song of Ice and Fire series). They're all intense but a couple of spots in the third one takes the cake. Due to the TV show, I don't want to spoil anything but certain chapters get pretty... interesting.

#44 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

There are chapters in House of Leaves that I remember as though I was chased through them by a monster.

#45 Edited by Aegon (5706 posts) -
@TheOther said:

George R. R. Martin's A Storm of Swords (the 3rd book in the Song of Ice and Fire series). They're all intense but a couple of spots in the third one takes the cake. Due to the TV show, I don't want to spoil anything but certain chapters get pretty... interesting.

The RW.  
 
Edit: Also, wow. A lot of great sounding books that should be added to my "to read" list have been mentioned. Keep it going, this is exactly what I wanted.
#46 Posted by caska (132 posts) -

@BraveToaster: Pretty sure he was saying something about how the end of this series will set up the next one or something. You can kinda see it already with the stuff that happens between recollections. I can't see how he'd manage to answer it all in one book so hopefully there's more :P

Oh and if you're into fantasy I'd recommend the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. The first book is Gardens of the Moon and after reading the first 50 pages you should come away awed. And the thing is from there it never stops. I can safely say they're the best books I've ever read. It is kinda difficult to read though, Erikson's prose takes some getting used to and it's definitely more of a challenging read than Rothfuss and on par with GRRM. The hardest thing about it is you're dumped from the very beginning into a fully realised world and fed just enough tid bits to keep you sated as you progress through the books. Unlike GRRM who really annoys me with all his teasing (I finished Feast for Crows back in '06 and Dance of Dragons has spent months just sitting on my shelf waiting for me to pick it up....so I don't know if he's progressed at all). But yea, you should try it.

I just finished the Ryria Revelations series by Michael J Sullivan and if you want a fantasy blockbuster but in a book then you should try them out. They're really easy to read, a crazy amount of intense moments and there's a clear sense of direction in them and I have to say one of the best endings I've read in a while.

There's also the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson which like the Ryria Revelations is one hell of a ride.

The Prince of Thorns is an amazing book and I'm pretty sure anyone who reads it falls in love with it. It's pretty short but then absolutely packed with everything you could possibly want from a book.

#47 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@caska: Yes, I really enjoy Rothfuss' writing style and this is good news to me. Mistborn, Prince of Thorns and Gardens of the Moon are actually in my Amazon wishlist. I plan to buy those as soon as I finish the 3 books that I have. I've never heard of Ryria Revelations. I'll check that out.

#48 Posted by BRich (437 posts) -

Absolutely everyone should read Gates of Fire.

#49 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

Irvine Welsh´s Filth

#50 Posted by Enigma777 (6078 posts) -

Mein Kampf had some amazingly intense moments...