Unofficial Motoredsports thread (MotoGP, WSBK, WRC and more)

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cocoonmoon

So, let's make this a nice place to talk about and get interested in various motorised sports!

I will try to add some possibly interesting info into this post. I'm just not sure what. Feel free to suggest stuff.

Season calendars:

MotoGP

SBK

WRC

RedBull Air Race

List of TV broadcasters:

MotoGP

Can't find a list for SBK

WRC

RedBull Air Race

Motorsport fansites:

Crash.net

Motorsport.com

RacingSportsCars

TouringCarTimes

Current MotoGP weekend is Motul Grand Prix Motegi, Japan

Circuit info

No Caption Provided

Length: 4.801 m / 2.983 miles

Width: 15m

Left corners: 6

Right corners: 8

Longest straight: 762 m / 0.473 miles

Constructed: 1997

Modified: 1997

Race Length: MotoGP

LapsTotal Distance
24115.2 km - 71.6 miles

Race Length: Moto2

LapsTotal Distance

110.4 km - 68.6 miles

Race Length: Moto3

LapsTotal Distance
2096.0 km - 59.7 miles

I'll just keep the videos here for now.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well you've caught the attention of at least one other MotoGP fan. :)

After what happened yesterday they really need to rip out any trackside astroturf from any circuit they visit. Those crashes were proper 'heart in mouth' scary and entirely preventable.

Honda also need to start telling Marquez to come in and change bikes one lap earlier than he thinks he does. Quite incredible that his only two major mistakes have come when a bike change was needed partway through the race.

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, definitely a big error of judgement on his part, but actually Predrosa as well. In the end... it actually benefits Marquez though. He still has the same points advantage in the championship, but less races to go. I'm almost inclined to say again that the championship is pretty much decided, but then again, not long ago I was jokingly saying: "Hey, Marquez just has to do a bunch of big mistakes and the others still have a chance!" and now we're here seeing him do exactly those mistakes. Regardless of what happens in this season though, the next one will be interesting.

A few points for next season:

• With Aprillia and Suzuki we have two factory teams returning to the racing grid. They of course won't be super competetive right away, but it will be fun to see them develop over the years.
  • We have interesting drivers stepping up into the premier class

Jack Miller jumping from Moto3 to MotoGP at the age of 19, he's certainly someone that has a lot of buzz surrounding him.

Maverick Vinales certainly has potential as well to make good use of the Suzuki.

Eugene Laverty of WSBK fame is also going to join the MotoGP circuit.

Then we of course have drivers switching around. Cal Crutchlow going to HRC Honda if I remember right. Stefan Bradl, who had a real bad season going to Forward Yamaha.

I'm pretty excited.

They really need to fix those tracks though. Misano and Aragon both showed serious problems in rain. These are safety concerns that need to be adressed.

So, yay MotoGP!

I really need to get more up-to-date on other motorsports though.

Montezuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Montezuma

I don't have any personal interest in this but I hope it works out for you, maybe then we'll get a Premier League Football thread.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I haven't watched MotoGP, but I do catch a little of STCC (Scandinavian Touring Car Championship) every now and then. I don't keep up with it enough to know about any of the drivers or stuff like that though.

Daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally prefer Irish road racing (Isle of Man TT, Northwest 200 etc) and WRC although I don't really follow it. I suppose F1 at Monaco as well. There is something exciting about tight tracks where a small mistake can put you into a wall, tree etc.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@LunarJetman: As a Brit I'm looking forward to seeing both Cal and Scott on factory Honda's. That should prove to be an interesting little battle.

I'm wondering if Miller has bitten off more than he can chew. From Moto3 to MotoGP is one hell of a leap and I'm not really sure why he of all riders, has been selected as the one to do so. He's got talent for sure, but he hasn't set the world alight in Moto3. Whilst he did have a great start to the season, he's been reeled in and has been beaten regularly by riders with worse equipment. I'll be honest as well and say that the stories that came out about him backing out of agreements with Marc VDS has made me a bit weary of him. Then again if he's followed through, then they wouldn't be getting Scott back for next year.

Aprilia make beautiful and crazy bikes (take a look at the RS Cube), so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next year.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big MotoGP fan here that tries to catch up whenever I can. I miss Eurosport having the rights. Toby Moody and Julian Ryder are just a class double-act. I'm actually saddened Marquez couldn't keep the run going. I've actually fell out of the loop a bit since he started losing.

I can't take road-racing seriously as the whole thing just looks like a Mad Max deathwish. Utmost respect for anybody who lives to a ripe old age doing that. I haven't watched much of BTCC either, although Plato still pottering around is kinda hilarious.

So is Michael Laverty got a ride for next year or have Paul Bird Racing bowed out?

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cocoonmoon

I'm actually not sure about Laverty and Paul Bird.

In other news Suzuki confirmed Aleix Espargaro and Maverick Vinales for next season and they also showed the new bike.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/209207/1/pics-suzuki-reveals-its-gsxrr-2015-motogp-bike.html

Edit: Just took another look at the 2015 rider line-up Crash.net posted (http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/207084/1/2015-motogp-rider-lineup-so-far.html) and it seems that Paul Bird Motorsports is switching to the BSB next season.

Anyway...

MotoGP is at Motegi, Japan this weekend. This could be and probably will be the race that gets Marc Marquez his early championship win. Still excited to see the Moto3 and what happens between the contenders for the second place in the MotoGP ranking. Here's the current points in the premier class:

MotoGP World Standing 2014

Pos.RiderBikeNationPoints
1Marc MARQUEZHondaSPA292
2Dani PEDROSAHondaSPA217
3Valentino ROSSIYamahaITA214
4Jorge LORENZOYamahaSPA202
5Andrea DOVIZIOSODucatiITA142
6Aleix ESPARGAROForward YamahaSPA112
7Pol ESPARGAROYamahaSPA108
8Andrea IANNONEDucatiITA92
9Stefan BRADLHondaGER87
10Bradley SMITHYamahaGBR85