Mouse Recommendations? Logitech g9/g9x alternatives?

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I may have just stumbled into the knowledge that Logitech discontinued their g9x gaming mouse a few years back. In a panic I realized my current g9 (the secret best mouse ever made!) has seen better days, what with a frayed cable and general button wear. I can't imagine it has too many years left.

I don't see any obvious replacement options and I'm starting to fear the g9/x was a one-of-a-kind amazing mouse.

To be more specific I fell in love with the "claw grip" style of mouse, the button to switch scroll-wheel into "friction-less mode", and to a lesser extent the onboard memory for saving profile/dpi information with 3 programmable dpi modes. But mostly I really really loved the way it felt in my hands, allowing me to use my mouse in a manner not that dissimilar to a pencil on paper.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really like the Zowie mouse I recently bought, but I have the caveat of necessarily getting an ambidextrous mouse because left-handed mice are barely a thing. None of the mouse wheel stuff or really any bells or whistles, though. Just a mouse whose functionality is done entirely through the hardware, since it doesn't require or even have software/drivers to run alongside its use. Also one of the best sensors you can find.

Maybe/probably not what you're looking for, I'm just rambling.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By stonyman65

I would look at Zowie or Mionix, they're making some kick-ass mouses these days. I know that Logitech has continually evolved their gaming mouse lineup but it seems to be hit or miss. Corsair seems to be taking over the market that Logitech has fallen out of. I've heard good things about Steel Series too, but I believe some of their earlier models had some QC problems with build quality. Not sure if they've fixed that. Don't know of any mouses that have the free-rolling scroll wheel so I can't help there. I'd strongly recommend going with an optical sensor over a laser sensor since current optical sensors (like the stuff that Mionix and Zowie are using) are just about the most accurate sensors ever made, and they can still reach 10,000+ CPI no problem. Generally speaking, optical sensors now are about as fast as what laser sensors were a few years ago, but they are incredibly more accurate.

This seems to be Logitech's G9x replacement in their new gaming series. It has a lot of the features that the older models did. Logitech G502

lovcol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the Razer Abyssus 2014, which is great for "claw grip". It's a three button (including scroll-wheel) mouse though, but I like the simplicity. Also, it's inexpensive.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rahf

I used the Logitech MX518, which is arguably one of the most popular gaming mouses of the previous decade. After that went bust I purchased a Logitech G402 (Hyperion Fury) and haven't looked back. It may look like a goddamn space ship in pictures, but all those lights and bobs can be tuned down. It's ergonomically perfect for my hand, feels neither too light nor too heavy, and has enough buttons to be useful (2 thumb buttons that now feel invaluable.) You can get it for $40ish, which is a good price for a viable gaming mouse.

Note: I am a palm-gripper.

No Caption Provided

darknovember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logitech Performance MX (w/ Darkfield sensor):

I may never buy a different model of mouse, so long as Logitech keeps the MX in production. I believe it has the "claw" grip you're referring to, and it works on just about any surface you can imagine. It also has the button for "frictionless scroll wheel mode". It's not a "gaming mouse" per se, but I've never missed the bells-and-whistles, personally. Not sure if that's a deal-breaker for you. But did I mention it's comfortable as all hell?

Good luck!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: I used the MX518 forever too. I was thinking about the G402 but ended up going with the Mionix Castor on advice from a friend. The Castor is more or less the same size and shape of the MX518 and G402 but the "hump" on the mouse isn't quite as pronounced.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been using a Mionix Naos 7000 for about a year now and it's been great. First non-Logitech mouse I've bought and used in a long time. Seems to be pretty durable too. I've dropped this thing more times than I care to admit but still works like a champ.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: Ha!

I was just about to post saying I was a huge MX518 fan who'd been using a Castor since late last year and loves it to bits, possibly even more than I did the 518.

I bought a G402 in an Amazon sale a few months ago (it was half price so I thought, why not?) and compared to the castor it feels like a toy.

No Caption Provided

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God yes. The g9 was an amazing mouse. I love the form factor so much I own both a g9 and g9x. Every other Logitech gaming mouse I've tried just felt too...big.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why do people love that old ass mouse so much? Or wired ones in general? All that mouse latency talk just sounds like pc master race gibberish to me. I have been using a logitech m705 for a couple years and it seems fine to me, haven't even had to change the batteries in all that time.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ichthy said:

God yes. The g9 was an amazing mouse. I love the form factor so much I own both a g9 and g9x. Every other Logitech gaming mouse I've tried just felt too...big.

The scroll wheel on my g9 finally died recently and I had to get a new mouse. There is just nothing out there quite the same. The g9 was so good.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By BallsLeon

SteelSeries Sensei has been real nice

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lv4Monk

Thanks a lot, seems like I have some options for high quality mice in the ballpark of a g9. Still just a bit sad I'll have to readjust to something maybe a bit different, like a pair of shoes that feel just a bit "off".

Hopefully in the future it'll be more "remember how nice the g9 was?" and less "man, remember how much better the g9 was?"

Also really debating with myself how willing I am to abandon the loose scroll wheel, even beyond gaming that feature became so integrated in how I navigate a computer/web browser.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went from the G9 to the G502.
No complaints here.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@franstone: Yeah, not deciding on one in a few days or anything but the G502 seems like a real possibility. I just wish I could grab hold of it for 5 seconds and see how it feels. Maybe a brick-and-mortar visit in my future, depending on how much mainstream appeal some of these mice have.

At least a few listed here I'd like to get a feel for if that's still a thing shops do.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By 49th

I really like the G502, it's the second serious gaming mouse I've owned after using the MX518 for a few years and it feels just as good, if not better.

I use claw grip too and it's very comfortable plus you can add weights inside. It has the friction-less mouse wheel button and dpi/mouse profiles which are extremely customisable, you can easily change the function of individual buttons for web browsing or whatever and there is even a kind of toggle which gives you a second set of functions when you hold it down.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By PufferFiz

I have the g9x and refuse to get anything else.

Few months ago I rewired it as the cable was too messed up.

For me I like fixing things so im more then happy to keep it.

I have tried a lot of other mice and unfortunately I have not found anything that feels like the g9 does.