MS Discontinuing Wired Controllers?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By GreggD

Recently, I had to buy a wired controller from Amazon, because I called around to my local shops (EB, GS, FYE) and they said Microsoft has discontinued them. Anybody else hear about this?

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By goodwood

why would you want a wired controller? I have not heard of this.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By End_Boss

I wouldn't be surprised. You could probably buy a wireless controller with the charger attachment if you're really desperate for a wired controller (why you would be escapes me, but...).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike
End_Boss said:
"I wouldn't be surprised. You could probably buy a wireless controller with the charger attachment if you're really desperate for a wired controller (why you would be escapes me, but...)."
The Play and Charge kit only charges wireless controllers with the batteries attached, it does not transmit any data. The data is still transmitted wirelessly.

I was giving this some thought, and it makes sense for Microsoft to discontinue wired controllers. I imagine sales of them are low, and discontinuing them would encourage (ok, force) the PC segment to buy wireless 360 controllers and the wireless gaming receiver.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I use one for my PC.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GreggD

The reason I wanted one is because it's thirty dollars cheaper than buying another wireless with the charge kit (I don't use batteries). And the only reason I bought another one is for when my friends come over. and yes, TheJollyRajah, I use both controllers for my PC, as well. One more thing, I don't know if anyone else would know this, but I prefer that big battery pack to not be there, as it gets in the way of comfortable index wrapping.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Know what they should do?

Drop the price of the wireless adapter. That would make sense. This makes sense, too. 
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By dethfish

I have a wired and wireless controller and I use my wired one way more than the wireless. It feels better in your hands.

If they stopped making them that would really suck because I was going to buy another one soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Dethfish77 said:
"

I have a wired and wireless controller and I use my wired one way more than the wireless. It feels better in your hands.

If they stopped making them that would really suck because I was going to buy another one soon.

"
I also think the wired controllers are a bit more comfortable. Don't know in what way, because I prefer the solid weight of the wireless controller.

But both of my wireless controllers are starting to act up. Batteries dying really quickly, no matter the age of the battery itself (and I'm talking the controller battery--not the AA input).  So I've been using the Wired one a bit lately.
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By bwooduhs
I saw one the other day but it was packaged as a games for windows controller not a Xbox 360 controller.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
goodwood said:
"why would you want a wired controller? I have not heard of this."
You can use them on the PC and play PC games with it. It's spiffy.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GreggD
rhrgrt said:
"I'd been using the wireless controller since i first got my 360, then when i bought my second one (to have 2, family lan playing and shit), i went with the core. It comes with the wired controller, and i've noticed that i never have to change the batteries. If i'm playing in my bedroom, the wire doesn't restrict movement. It's a lot cheaper. All of my friends initally scoff at me for using the wired one, but they feel a bit sheepish when i explain myself to them. It does make sense to use a controller that isn't dependent on any other accessories, or consumables; it just plugs into the console. Handy."
Indeed.
Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
TheJollyRajah said:
"I use one for my PC."
So do I.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Karmum
GreggD said:
"Recently, I had to buy a wired controller from Amazon, because I called around to my local shops (EB, GS, FYE) and they said Microsoft has discontinued them. Anybody else hear about this?"
Gamestop and EB? Go figure, they want you to shell out more cash for a Wireless one. To answer your question -- they are being discontinued. Well, at least my local Walmart still sells them. I kind of like wired controllers, since my display (a monitor, which is like a foot away from me), does not need a wireless controller.
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Keyser_Soze

It has a slightly more powerful rumble. Take that as you want.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Systech
TheJollyRajah said:
"I use one for my PC."
This is why people do it.